PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Play Triples?

user92626
12-09-2009, 02:26 PM
...where anyone can serve or receive. Each team still takes turn to serve or return though. Excellent game for lobbing, volleying and passing (if your FH, BH is really good). A point can last for a while if you got good defenders.

Geezer Guy
12-09-2009, 03:11 PM
I've played a couple times. It can get a bit dangerous.

tenmirage
12-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Just book the other court.

Too dangerous and not so much fun.

user92626
12-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Well, anybody who has played doubles should already know that playing at the net is dangerous. Nothing new. However, if you're a weak volleyer, move to the baseline. hehe. Anyway, I agree that it's kinda dangerous. I'm more afraid of my own teammates when they hit from behind than the opponents. hehe

goran_ace
12-10-2009, 06:31 AM
I've done a 3 x 3 drill that's a little different. Each side starts out in a normal staggered formation with the third guy on the baseline behind the net guy. This drill works on encouraging agressive netplay and poaching from the up man. He can play close to the net and try to poach balls he normally wouldn't try because there is the safety of the third guy there. It really builds up the confidence of players who aren't that comfortable poaching or playing the net in doubles, also teaches them to read what balls they can poach, and that carries through to their normal doubles game.

Sooner or later teams figure out that to win in this game of triples you can't stay one up two back and need to get a second guy up at the net and play it like a normal game of doubles, in which case the third guy is only there to cover deep lobs.

dozu
12-10-2009, 07:35 AM
doubles is boring enough... triples? i don't think so.

user92626
12-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Doubles isn't boring, but in the last hours when everyone seems exhausted and cold we just do a triples so not to leave anyone waiting :)

Goran is right. One of the best formation is 2 up + 1 back. For receiving team initial 3 back is also good and 1 or 2 gradually close in.

It's actually very fun. The weakest guys always seem stand out and get blamed. LOL.