PDA

View Full Version : What does Christmas mean to you?

pabletion
12-09-2009, 06:01 PM
With all the off topics that go around here, specially religious stuff and such, Im wondering what different meanings are there for Christmas for you guys. What is it to you? A holiday, a significant religious event, Santa Claus comes to town, vacation?

I personally love Christmas, its my favorite time of the year and love the whole anticipation of it at the very begining of December. To me its a very important religious holiday first and foremost, but the whole aspect of family and friends and get togethers is great, not to mention Christmas day lunch, my absolute favorite!

How do you guys celebrate, what do you do?

Fedace
12-09-2009, 06:14 PM
I don't know why but i keep thinking girls during christmas..

mary fierce
12-09-2009, 06:20 PM
People pretending to care about their religion one day a year, ignoring it the rest of the year. A silly commercialized festival of rewarding each other for nothing at all. A triumph of materialism over virtue.

pabletion
12-09-2009, 06:28 PM

but... isnt that like, your every day, you horny little bugger?

pabletion
12-09-2009, 06:29 PM
People pretending to care about their religion one day a year, ignoring it the rest of the year. A silly commercialized festival of rewarding each other for nothing at all. A triumph of materialism over virtue.

so do you celebrate it at all? What do you do on Christmas?

Geezer Guy
12-09-2009, 09:07 PM
I think Christmas is a big pain in the ***. Bah humbug.

I'm normally a fairly happy guy, but the holidays and all the crap that goes with it just bums me out.

CanadianChic
12-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Oh I love Christmas!!! Weeeeeeee...*dances around the living room with swirls of tinsel and garland behind me*

For me, Christmas is about love and friendship. It is about forgiving others for past slights and putting everything into perspective. It is about the warm feeling from within and the way I feel when I give to others. Nothing makes me feel better during the holidays than approaching the food bins and collection pots with a big smile of my face and a desire to help as much as humanly possible (both monetarily and with my time through volunteering).

Christmas is about the lights and sounds, the music and food, the family and friends. It is also a time to embrace the sadness of loved ones gone, people hungry and sick throughout the world and the sounds of war. It is about balancing the two surging emotions and making a promise of one's self to be a better man (or woman). To feed someone whose plate is empty, clothe someone whose skin is bare and embrace someone who feels no love.

The marketing madness and greed is a by-product of the holiday and should be viewed as such. Don't turn away the magic because of corporations and pushy shoppers...just walk on by and think to yourself what is important to you...then do everything in your power to be with those you cherish.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
12-10-2009, 03:31 AM
Growing up Christmas was the highlight off the year att my Grandmas big house, all my relatives gathered there. We had so many fun traditions-each year the same but that was the charm in it imo. Lots of genuine Swedish christmas-food, meatballs,fresh salmon,prince-wieners,potatoes,gravy. Around 5 in the afternoon someone always went to buy the newspaper, and came back after Santa had visited, one year I was Santa and I was sweating bullets inside the mask so my dad said "-Is Santa thirsty"? And i said "-Hell yeah" and all the small kids in my family looked at me with huge eyes as if.. "Santa cursed" :shock:

These days the charm has gone, lots of divorces among my relatives , some has passed on...Its really sad, i often wish I was a kid again.

:oops:

lovecr717
12-10-2009, 03:33 AM
Christmas is my favourite time !! The atmosphere makes me feel so good and I would just constantly listening to Christmas songs for the whole month. :)

To me Christmas is the time to bring families and friends together, to cherish all the happiness and brokenheartedness.

Anaconda
12-10-2009, 03:34 AM
Christmas is pointless!!!!!

Instead of each family member spending the same amount of money on other people - we should just buy our own things that we want; It only takes one.

Anaconda
12-10-2009, 03:35 AM
^^^^by the way i was joking

malakas
12-10-2009, 03:37 AM
Christmas lights,and songs and alcohol and tons of food.That's what christmas means to me.

Mahboob Khan
12-10-2009, 05:47 AM
Happy Christmas and Season's Holidays to all my friends at TW.

Mahboob Khan

cucio
12-10-2009, 06:09 AM
Christmas is one of those stupid periods in the year where there is no Grand Slam or Master Series going on, and as such it is irrelevant.

rommil
12-10-2009, 06:23 AM

Maybe this year you can get a real one, not the inflatables you keep ordering every year.

rommil
12-10-2009, 06:26 AM
^^^^by the way i was joking

I kinda wish you weren't because I was agreeing with you. Especially in USA, it is so commercialized and people get too crazy with the gifts most people gets stressed out.

malakas
12-10-2009, 06:29 AM
Christmas is the period with the most suicides.I wonder why?Santa Claus is depressing.:( a man at his age going around in red.:rolleyes:

YULitle
12-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Presents and time-off with family. That's about it.

eagle
12-10-2009, 08:25 AM
- Quality time with family and close friends
- Extended time off :)
- Children excited over presents
- Greater civility and fellowship
- Lots of culinary delights
- Lots of beach time
- Lots of tennis
- Lots of time with one's companion. ;)

Best time of the year right? :)

r,
eagle

PimpMyGame
12-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Christmas is the time of the year when we get to spend time together as a family and enjoy giving presents, especially to our children.

It's basically a winter home-based holiday with presents. And a tree indoors, not that I'm complaining.

mozzer
12-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Christmas lights,and songs and alcohol and tons of food.That's what christmas means to me.
Definately. Im not religious and honestly never think about Jesus, which i know sounds bad, but i would prefer to tell the truth. I just enjoy being with my family. Amd ofcourse the presents! I love opening them and watching people open the presents i got for them, well, if they like them that is :D

pabletion
12-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Great anecdotes... Cucio made me spray my coffee through my nose, you preek, haha.

I like to have a Christmas tree set up early in december, by the first week, also, in the last two years, Ive decided to be in charge of the Nativity scene, which is kindof a cool tradition on most latin countries. Here is very custom to use colored sawdust to decorate it, and moss and stuff like that to build like little towns with figures of tiny people etc. Last year I tried to make paper mache volcanoes on the background, and actually covered them with patches of sawdust of different colors, and looked really good... Anyways, on Christmas eve, Santa Claus comes to my neighborhood, which is a closed 30 house project so the neighbors gather on the biggest garden with all their kids and the Santa Claus that comes gives one present to them, and its great. Then we have traditional guatemalan dinner which consists on tamales, soooo good. Then on Christmas day we have turkey with the works for lunch and we eat till we fall asleep.

forgot to mention that the whole neighborhood gathers at the entrance of the condominium to celebrate at mid night, with lots (and I mean loooooots) of fireworks, which are kinda legal here...

malakas
12-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Pabletion that is nice hehe what is tamales??

We exchange presents at New Year's Eve not Christmas and we have christmas trees but also traditionally christmas ships.Like this:http://www.dpgr.gr/usergalleries/albums/userpics/16256/IMG_3013.jpg
and kids go from door to door and sing carols and also special/funny songs about the home-owners holding little replicas of ships and they get money or raisins,chocolates and walnuts.

http://panzam.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/kalanta.jpg

On New Year we cut the New Year Pie that has a coin hidden inside.Everyone gets a piece and whoever gets the piece with the coin has good luck for next year and gets a present.
http://www.kopiaste.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/vassilopita-2jpg.jpg

On christmas we eat turkey but traditionally people used to eat pork.
These are the traditional christmas sweets:
http://tastytour.pblogs.gr/files/83228-image025.jpg

Everyone of this little ba$***** has at least 350 cals and I get back home 2 kilos heavier.>: (
Tradition says that grims get out from 25 Dec till 6 January and trouble people and whoever is born around that time-like me-has brain damage.What causes the brain damage of course is that you get only 1 present instead of 2separate!gggrrr~

Dedans Penthouse
12-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Happy Christmas and Season's Holidays to all my friends at TW.

Mahboob Khan
Salam Ma'al Hijrah (Happy New Year).

on-topic: the holiday season means Planters Punch-laced, nipple-erection-producing cold egg nog body shots in addition to plenty of "the toes" mistle and camel respectively.

charliefedererer
12-10-2009, 09:58 AM
The Christmas season is a time to anticipate the enjoyment of family and friends, to enjoy the time together, and to enjoy the memory of Christmases past. For me, is a time to be thankful for how fortunate I have been. Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

max
12-10-2009, 10:06 AM
It's really about the great depths of human love and loyalty.

First, quite first, is the Annunciation, Mary's great fiat, her expression to follow God's will without reservation.

Second, the love of the Holy Family. This is an ideal for all families.

Finally, our own love for the great, world-changing promise of Jesus Christ, and his great redemption of the world.

eagle
12-10-2009, 10:19 AM
I tried to make paper mache volcanoes

We don't have to worry about making one. We have the real thing and it's awesome! :)

r,
eagle

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Oh I love Christmas!!! Weeeeeeee...*dances around the living room with swirls of tinsel and garland behind me*

For me, Christmas is about love and friendship. It is about forgiving others for past slights and putting everything into perspective. It is about the warm feeling from within and the way I feel when I give to others. Nothing makes me feel better during the holidays than approaching the food bins and collection pots with a big smile of my face and a desire to help as much as humanly possible (both monetarily and with my time through volunteering).

Christmas is about the lights and sounds, the music and food, the family and friends. It is also a time to embrace the sadness of loved ones gone, people hungry and sick throughout the world and the sounds of war. It is about balancing the two surging emotions and making a promise of one's self to be a better man (or woman). To feed someone whose plate is empty, clothe someone whose skin is bare and embrace someone who feels no love.

The marketing madness and greed is a by-product of the holiday and should be viewed as such. Don't turn away the magic because of corporations and pushy shoppers...just walk on by and think to yourself what is important to you...then do everything in your power to be with those you cherish.

Very good points.

pabletion
12-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Pabletion that is nice hehe what is tamales??

Im glad you asked (I'll admit I looked it up on wiky to have the full dirt): Tamales are a typical dish composed of smashed corn with some pork lard turned to a kind of paste or dough, and then the dough is stuffed with beef, pork or chicken (or even turkey) meat, tomato sauce with chillies, sometimes olives, capers and other thingies. This whole thing is wrapped around with a banana leaf, tied up and placed in boiling water. Then youre left with a kinda corn pie and you unwrap it and dig in:
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3116/tamal.jpg (http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tamal.jpg)

you spray a little lemon on top and hmmmmmmmmmmmm... so good.

Story goes that the Mayans prepared a variation of the dish for special occasions, and they would have it for the winter solstice, dec 21st.

Almost all latin american countries have some form of tamal, but the base of it its always the same, smashed corn.

pabletion
12-10-2009, 10:26 AM
We don't have to worry about making one. We have the real thing and it's awesome! :)

r,
eagle

oh yeaaaaaaah?????????

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1981/volcanes.jpg (http://img13.imageshack.us/my.php?image=volcanes.jpg)

we have 33 different volcanoes over here ;) Ive climbed 15 different one so far.

malakas
12-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Im glad you asked (I'll admit I looked it up on wiky to have the full dirt): Tamales are a typical dish composed of smashed corn with some pork lard turned to a kind of paste or dough, and then the dough is stuffed with beef, pork or chicken (or even turkey) meat, tomato sauce with chillies, sometimes olives, capers and other thingies. This whole thing is wrapped around with a banana leaf, tied up and placed in boiling water. Then youre left with a kinda corn pie and you unwrap it and dig in:
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3116/tamal.jpg (http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tamal.jpg)

you spray a little lemon on top and hmmmmmmmmmmmm... so good.

Story goes that the Mayans prepared a variation of the dish for special occasions, and they would have it for the winter solstice, dec 21st.

Almost all latin american countries have some form of tamal, but the base of it its always the same, smashed corn.

Very interesting,first time I hear of it!:) So it's kind of a christmas boiled corn meat-crepe?:) amazing that the mayan cuisine has survived their destruction and continues on!

FlamEnemY
12-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Somehow, Christmas makes me believe that all the people around me are a little bit 'better' at that time of year.
That, and being with my closest relatives. Not a fan of big family reunions.

LiveForever
12-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Means pretty much nothing to me.

r2473
12-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Just before Christmas, an honest politician, a generous lawyer and Santa Claus were riding in the elevator of a very posh hotel. Just before the doors opened they all noticed a $20 bill lying on the floor.

Which one picked it up?

Santa of course, because the other two don't exist!

Mick
12-10-2009, 01:24 PM
christmas = 2 weeks of vacation :)

SempreSami
12-10-2009, 01:37 PM
This year it's about spending a few weeks writing some assessed essays and getting my dissertation in shape.

Oh, and going home on the 24th.

seffina
12-10-2009, 01:59 PM
It's a season like any other.

For me, first and foremost, it's family time. I love all the family aspects of it. I've been around them a lot in the last few years, but before that when I wasn't, it was that one time when I got to be with them. I like hearing the same old stories again and again as everyone reminisces. Setting up the tree is fun, decorating the house. Wishing for snow every year. I love the lights and the sounds around town and all the special events. I love going to see The Nutcracker every year with my three closest friends (who are like my family.) The four of us also attend our old highschool's chamber singers Christmas concert every year. I like helping to make Christmas dinner. I even enjoy mass. I attend church pretty regularly, but it's not always enjoyable as it is during this time. Lot more people to catch up with and people are generally in that happy mood.

I love receiving Christmas cards more than gifts. My friends are just so creative with their cards and what they write that I can't help but look forward to them. The gift giving aspect of it is fun as long as you don't take it too seriously. I never try for that perfect gift, just give it my best effort.

I like fighting over college basketball with my brother as the annual game b/w our two teams is usually around this time. My dad and I start planning NFL draft strategies around this time for our team while watching all the Bowl games and the last quarter of the NFL season. I also like to annoy my mom and SIL as they go crazy cooking and inventing things for that perfect Christmas party they throw every year.

It's also my birthday (Christmas Eve), so there's that aspect of growing a year older around this time, which is usually filled with the predictable combination of some regrets and hopes.

There are plenty of things that I don't like about it, but the bad things don't ruin the overall holiday.

Fedace
12-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Maybe this year you can get a real one, not the inflatables you keep ordering every year.

Yes,, i have 2 real ones to go with my new bed....:)

Dedans Penthouse
12-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Yes,, i have 2 'real ones' to go with my new bed....:)
Merry Xmas to Ned and Ted.

ronalditop
12-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Basically christmas for me means eating turkey at 11:00 pm with my family, sometimes also with my aunt and cousins.

kimbahpnam
12-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Jesus
10 char.

ogruskie
12-10-2009, 09:59 PM
It means that I'm going to be broke as hell and my wallet will be crying.

Tempest344
12-11-2009, 04:00 AM
time off, very hot weather and a lot of beer

Tofuspeedstar
12-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Another holiday to remind me i'm alone.

fruitytennis1
12-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Your not supposed to call it Chistmas, it supposed to be called the holidays. Your insulting every other religion and the people who belong to them including me.
Sarcasm....

Dedans Penthouse
12-12-2009, 05:00 PM
love.......

ag200boy
12-12-2009, 05:26 PM
presents.

and no school.

Love Game
12-18-2009, 07:39 PM

poor mary ... you've had a hard life! :(

Love Game
12-18-2009, 07:40 PM
I think Christmas is a big pain in the ***. Bah humbug.

I'm normally a fairly happy guy, but the holidays and all the crap that goes with it just bums me out.

Maybe you and mary fierce should get together and grinch! :D

Love Game
12-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Another holiday to remind me i'm alone.

Except for US ... you have us, and we have you!!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_2_102.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)

maverick66
12-18-2009, 07:46 PM
poor mary ... you've had a hard life! :(

Except for US ... you have us, and we have you!!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_2_102.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)

See how i multiquoted. Its your friend.:)

Geezer Guy
12-19-2009, 10:04 AM

Yeah - thinking the same thing. But, it's almost over. Wife's Chirstmas party today (with probably lots of drama) and my family's Christmas party next week (with probably lots silence) and then it's back to life as usual.

It was kinda funny though - I was visiting my brother over Thanksgiving and he brought out an old slide projector and very old family slides that he'd found in our folks house. We were looking at old family Christmas photo's from when we were both little kids - and I noticed I wasn't really enjoying Christmas THEN either.

pabletion
12-23-2009, 07:32 AM
To me, Christmas is a time of celebration, of rejoycing (not gonna get into all of that), so obviosly its a time to share it with my family first, and friends and loved ones, with presents, dinners, parties, etc. It is a time also, to remember those who are less fortunate, and how Christmas really belongs to them, so, giving/getting presents is ok, but its vital to me to never forget the true meaning of what Im celebrating, and how you dont need to get stuff to be happy and thankful, cause there are people who cant get or give anything for Christmas.
It feels great to be able to give a little bit to someone who has very little, even if it seems like its no big deal. Christmas is so much more than presents, food, parties, etc.

"behold, I proclaim to you good news of great joy that will be for all the people.
For today in the city of David a savior has been born for you who is Messiah and Lord..." Luke 2, 10-11

Deodorant
12-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Presents is all that matters.