PDA

View Full Version : captaining question

alice301
12-09-2009, 06:03 PM
is there a limit on how many players on my team can also play on another team (same local league, different level)?

Cindysphinx
12-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Depends on your league. Around here, you can't have more than two players on the same two teams in the same "division." Ladies combo and mixed and ladies day are considered different divisions. But you couldn't have three players on the same 6.5 and 7.5 combo teams, for instance.

Check with your coordinator!

alice301
12-09-2009, 06:42 PM
thanks, cindy. i couldn't figure out what "division" referred to.

Topaz
12-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Here in NOVA, we have the '2 person' player rule. Say, if you and I and Cindy play on an indoor team, we can not all play on the same outdoor team (at the same level)...only two of us would be able to also move to the outdoor team, the third would have to find a different team.

Cindysphinx
12-10-2009, 07:50 AM
In my league, level doesn't matter. So if you, Topaz and I want to play 3.5 ladies and 4.0 ladies on the same team, that's a 2-player problem.

In our area, the 2-player rule for adult spring league applies in the entire Mid-Atlantic region. That's MD, VA, WV and DC. I have all of my players tell me all of the teams they are on so I can catch 2-player problems. I have caught problems on several occasions.

cak
12-10-2009, 08:04 AM
In NorCal your entire team can play in both levels. So if you have a 3.5 team made up of 3.5 players you could also have a 4.0 team of the same players. For that matter, if you have a 3.5 team in one district, you can have that same team in another district. So if you have a team playing in South Bay, that same team, or any subset, could also play in Lower Penninsula. In that case the stickler is in playoffs. Once you play in playoffs for one team you cannot play in playoffs for another team at that level. So if you are on two or three 3.5 teams once they hit playoffs you can only play for one. That is not a restriction for levels.

Cindysphinx
12-10-2009, 08:11 AM
^It would make my life much easier if our league ran like yours, CAK.

As a captain, you often lose good players because of the 2-player rule. If you have a strong 3.5, she may want the opportunity to play 4.0. If there is a 2-player problem, the player will leave the 3.5 team and take the 4.0 offer, as it is very easy for her to find another 3.5 team.

Then again, I have sometimes picked up strong players who have been "2-playered" off of a rival team. So there's that.

Topaz
12-10-2009, 09:03 AM
In my league, level doesn't matter. So if you, Topaz and I want to play 3.5 ladies and 4.0 ladies on the same team, that's a 2-player problem.

In our area, the 2-player rule for adult spring league applies in the entire Mid-Atlantic region. That's MD, VA, WV and DC. I have all of my players tell me all of the teams they are on so I can catch 2-player problems. I have caught problems on several occasions.

Are you sure about different levels? I've been told differently as recently as last week.

Cindysphinx
12-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Our rules could be different.

But yes, you and Raiden and I cannot be on the same 7.0 and 8.0 mixed doubles team in our county. I know this because my 4.0 captain had to ditch one lady because three of us were on our DC 3.5 team and wanted to be on his 4.0 Maryland team.

There is a more relaxed rule for combo and ladies day at times of the year where there is no post-season play. So for ladies fall combo, I am confident that I no longer have to worry about West Virginia and need only restrict my concerns to my own county.