PDA

View Full Version : how many pro's (M/W) play mostly/all BH slice?

tom-selleck
04-20-2005, 10:24 AM
have any good players played predominantly or exclusively slice on the backhand side???

liking the slice backhand more and more but i feel somewhat wimpy doing it.............

doesn't really matter, but i did wonder if any players use it "SLICE" exclusively on backhand side?.......... steffi graf???? for one

chad shaver
04-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Karsten Braasch on the men's side hit mostly slow slices on the bh.

@wright
04-20-2005, 10:51 AM
Younes El Aynoui (sp?)

Serena2
04-20-2005, 10:55 AM
sivia farina elia slices a lot of the time.

Camilio Pascual
04-20-2005, 10:59 AM
This whole Steffi Graf slice business has been blown way out of proportion. Go back and look at the tennis mags of the late 80's - early 90's. You know, the ones with the 36mm beam, 80RDC stiff racquets. And, Steffi, who has won '87 Roland Garros and then wins 4 in a row for the Calendar Slam in '88.
Out come the instruction articles on how to play like the new phenom flavour of the month AND how to play with the new wide bodies. We are taught that the slice backhand is the CONTROL stroke, the high percentage stroke to keep the rally going and to avoid overhitting with the newest Wilson SledgeHammer 0.7 Si. Of course, Steffi is not playing with a racquet that bears any resemblance to these, but never mind, she hits a BH slice.
Along comes Seles. Despite the fact Steffi is owning her at first, we're now told that Steffi's slice is a "weakness" that can be exploited, presumably by new flavour of the month, Seles. Meanwhile, those 36mm beam racquets are shrinking down to 32mm and then to 28mm.
Steffi is still marching her way to 22 singles Majors titles, sans Seles, we are constantly reminded. Steffi starts getting late career injuries, it's 1997, culminating in 4 losses in a little over a year's time. One walkover loss to Hingis and 3 defeats on court to...Amanda Coetzer. (I knew I could get her in this!)
Why? Injuries and aging? Up and coming players? No! The slice backhand that has won her 21 Majors to 1996 is suddenly deficient and the cause. The slice backhand previously touted as the "control" stroke.
Do not consider the BH slice as a wimpy stroke, use it as a control stroke to keep the rally going and look for the chance to crack the FH winner. Try using a BH dtl slice as an approach shot, if you want to find a use for it on offense. Good luck.

tom-selleck
04-20-2005, 11:03 AM
camilio and the others, thank you......... i notice that slice seems to really bother opponents, and i know it's true when someone hits it to me.

if you saw my other thread (doesn't really matter), but getting tired of doing flat and moderate topspin and just putting the ball easily into their strike zone..... i notice federer hits slice quite a bit too.

bustigal
04-20-2005, 01:41 PM
If you think the slice is a whimpy shot, you probably have not mastered it and used it effectively:

Here are a few variations and applications:

Penetrating slice: remember how Staffi Graf hit hers. She waited for the ball to come to her, and intentionally hit the ball late. She appeared to hit the ball in line with her body (parallel to the baseline) or behind her body (not in front). The result is a very spiny and penetrating low shot and is out of the strike zone for most people.

Non-floating drop shot: Federer does this lot. He uses the eastern backhand grip and slice the ball very short and low. On a regular slice, the grip is continental and the follow through is slightly curl up. On this shot, the grip is eastern backband and the follow through is going down toward the ground. The result is short spiny low ball (like a drop shot with more pace) that your opponent has to come up to the net and float it back up. You can finish the point on the next shot. It's very effective in sucking baseliners into the net where they are not comfortable.

Side spin: instead of slicing the ball underneath (6 o'clock position), slice the ball at between the 4 and 5 o'clock position. The ball will stay low and skid off side way. It surprises your opponent in the last second and is not a easy shot to return.

Nemesis to Western forehand grip: just keep slicing to the Western forehand. It's too low for them to get a good hit most of the time.

Marius_Hancu
04-20-2005, 01:45 PM
F. Lopez (a leftie) has a very nice BH slice. Somehow (for other reasons) his progression has stagnated lately.

gugafanatic
04-20-2005, 02:55 PM
Tim Henman usually hits with slice to approach net, rarely goes for big topspin drives.

antontd
04-20-2005, 03:45 PM
bustigal, nice post. I didn't know that about Western FH. Thanks.
I also recommend these:
1. Hit deep penetrating slice in the middle and approach the net.
2. Hit deep penetrating slice until you opponent uses topspin, then try hitting an aggressive FH or BH
If it's used properly the slice BH(or FH) can make your opponents frustrated. Sometimes I feel sorry for them, they look so helpless. ;)

scoot
04-20-2005, 03:49 PM
2. Hit deep penetrating slice until you opponent uses topspin, than try hitting an aggressive FH or BH

Justine does this very well.

gugafanatic
04-20-2005, 04:12 PM
I find it easier to step in and take the backhand early rather then slicing off high balls. As this often leads to a floater or a mid court ball with not real zip or penetration. Slice in todays game can get eaten up, you need to take those high balls on the rise especially for single handed backhands. Slice is only effective on return (big serve) or when someone hits the ball out wide with angle.

35ft6
04-20-2005, 08:03 PM
Rusedski... Feliciano Lopez...

Noah... Novotna... and Graf did.

VictorS.
04-20-2005, 08:10 PM
Kenneth Carlsen uses a lot of slice on his backhand shot.

tandayu
04-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Pam Shriver, Mc Enroe, Tim Wilkison, Rafter, Novotna, Rusedski, Rosewall and many more that I can't remember now .

WHO HIT 2 handed slice backhand???

Kartasco
04-20-2005, 09:10 PM
Fabrice Santoro

Camilio Pascual
04-21-2005, 03:26 AM
If you think the slice is a whimpy shot, you probably have not mastered it and used it effectively:
Here are a few variations and applications:
Penetrating slice: remember how Staffi Graf hit hers. She waited for the ball to come to her, and intentionally hit the ball late. She appeared to hit the ball in line with her body (parallel to the baseline) or behind her body (not in front). The result is a very spiny and penetrating low shot and is out of the strike zone for most people.
Non-floating drop shot: Federer does this lot. He uses the eastern backhand grip and slice the ball very short and low. On a regular slice, the grip is continental and the follow through is slightly curl up. On this shot, the grip is eastern backband and the follow through is going down toward the ground. The result is short spiny low ball (like a drop shot with more pace) that your opponent has to come up to the net and float it back up. You can finish the point on the next shot. It's very effective in sucking baseliners into the net where they are not comfortable.
Side spin: instead of slicing the ball underneath (6 o'clock position), slice the ball at between the 4 and 5 o'clock position. The ball will stay low and skid off side way. It surprises your opponent in the last second and is not a easy shot to return.
Nemesis to Western forehand grip: just keep slicing to the Western forehand. It's too low for them to get a good hit most of the time.

Great observations. You analyze like a coach I know, he picks out very specific shots from the pros and tells me to watch them on tape. Mr. New Guy knows tennis!