PDA

View Full Version : Gauge and swingweight question

sargeinaz
12-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Lets say you string the same racket with the same string (a multi for example) and string it with a full 16G, 17G or 18G string job. What would the difference in swingweight be as you go up a gauge? Does anyone have an idea? Thanks in advance.

BobFL
12-09-2009, 09:03 PM
I do not know about gauge vs gauge but few months ago I tested poly vs synthetic gut and poly bumped SW for 5 points! That is huge. The racquet is also a big variable in this equation. It is not the same effect (far from it) if you use 8pts HL and 5pts HH racquets...

sargeinaz
12-09-2009, 09:13 PM
I do not know about gauge vs gauge but few months ago I tested poly vs synthetic gut and poly bumped SW for 5 points! That is huge. The racquet is also a big variable in this equation. It is not the same effect (far from it) if you use 8pts HL and 5pts HH racquets...

Wow 5 points is a lot. I was wondering cause I wanted to demo the YouTek Prestige MidPlus and would use 18G and I believe TW uses NXT 16G when they spec their sticks out so I was thinking it may drop somewhere along 5 pts or something (which I wouldnt mind if it has a 320ish SW stock like the Microgel Prestige MidPlus that TW speced out on the site)

psp2
12-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Here's one example.

I have my OpenX frames spec'd out to 330 SW, when it's strung with Aramid Composite 18/SPPP 17L at 42/45.

When I string the same frame with VS16/ALU Rough, my SW goes up to 333.

I would estimate a fluctuation around 2 to 3 SW points to be expected for gauge differences.

2handsbothsides
12-10-2009, 11:34 AM
I precision weigh and rebalance my racquets after each time I string. There can be a 2 to 3 gram weight difference between string gauges. Hey, that’s like 4" to 6" of 1/2" wide lead tape difference on the head and it makes a huge difference in swing weight and playability. That's why I always start with a base racquet that I can easily carry at least 5 grams of lead on the head so that when I change gauges or string type I have room to remove or add some lead to compensate for the string weight change.

I also notice that gut weighs about 3 grams more than the same gauge multi. Luxilon actually was the heaviest, weighing even more than gut. I bet that is why some people like the Luxilon when they may actually be better off with a synthetic gut and 4 or 5 more grams of lead tape added to the head.

bertrevert
12-11-2009, 03:44 AM
I thought I was imagining things when I found that gut was heavier than syn gut in a frame. Admittedly a small difference however noticeable. But poly heavier than gut? I wouldn't have thought so - just because of the natural fibres and density of the organic material (gut) and its potential to absorb moisture.

But ok poly is heavier why?

Valjean
12-11-2009, 05:10 AM
Swing speed can go up noticeably, the thinner the string, too, though.

markwillplay
12-11-2009, 05:21 AM
16 gauge ALU is definately heavier than 16 gauge VS gut.

2handsbothsides
12-11-2009, 12:00 PM
ALU was clearly the heaviest string I have strung up.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-11-2009, 12:18 PM
It has aluminum traces in the string. No wonder it feels like a steel cable.

old coach
12-12-2009, 07:35 AM
It has aluminum traces in the string. No wonder it feels like a steel cable.

It got as much aluminum there as your cereal and milk. Another marketing tool by LUX and a good one.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Well the company stated that the string has metal in it. Its heavier than most other strings. It feels and plays like a steel cable. Thats enough information for me to deduce that the strings have some metal traces in it.

What does Luxilon have to gain by lying in this claim?