PDA

View Full Version : Mantis strings enter the market place

LafayetteHitter
12-10-2009, 09:07 AM
I will soon have a package of Mantis strings in shipment from Europe. They look to be a new brand using a unique process on their strings.

"MANTIS Comfort Polyester is an exceptional string that has been developed with a proprietary chemical treatment. This produces a softer feel for excellent comfort without compromising on the high level of power expected of any polyester."

It's always nice to see technology of strings move forward and new companies entering the marketplace. I am anxious to try these out.

http://www.mantis-sport.com/us/

jayserinos99
12-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Alright, I'll bite. I'll email them and ask for some of their power strings.

Kick Server
12-13-2009, 09:26 AM
I live in London and was introduced to the MANTIS range by my local retailer in Wimbledon. I am a big string breaker as I hit with a reasonable amount of spin and have consequently tried the full range. In my opinion there is something for everyone and it is just a case of finding the right set up for you personally. I simply love the Power Polyester and the Power Synthetic when used as a hybrid!
The overgrips are fantastic too! (especially if you like an overgrip with a slightly tacky feel)
My understanding from the guy I spoke to at my retailers is that they are looking for distributors in Europe and are in discussions with a company in the USA.

LafayetteHitter
12-13-2009, 01:54 PM
I am awaiting my test strings and I will post feedback here along with pics soon. It's always nice to see an innovative new company introducing strings.

DEH
12-13-2009, 06:42 PM
I live in London and was introduced to the MANTIS range by my local retailer in Wimbledon. I am a big string breaker as I hit with a reasonable amount of spin and have consequently tried the full range. In my opinion there is something for everyone and it is just a case of finding the right set up for you personally. I simply love the Power Polyester and the Power Synthetic when used as a hybrid!
The overgrips are fantastic too! (especially if you like an overgrip with a slightly tacky feel)
My understanding from the guy I spoke to at my retailers is that they are looking for distributors in Europe and are in discussions with a company in the USA.

How powerful is this hybrid setup? I am getting a low powered racquet and I am looking for some high powered strings and not natty gut.

Kick Server
12-14-2009, 12:38 AM
[DEH] - in aswer to your question, it is hard for me to put a "power" value to it but I am really happy with the power level myself. The advantage is that although you feel you have real power you don't feel that the ball is going to 'balloon' off the strings without control.
As I mentioned before I hit with quite a bit of spin and the main thing I love is the 'grip' you get on the ball. I assume that this is also because of the thin gauge.
I would suggest you try them if possible as I always find this is the best way to really find what works for you. In the UK the retail prices are superb so I had a go with everything to see what worked best for me.
Hope that helps.

ace0001a
12-14-2009, 01:34 AM
Are they offering samples? The website link just seems to their own online store.

skyzoo
12-14-2009, 02:39 AM
Compare this poly to something along the lines of msv focus hex or luxilon alu power.

drummerdan
12-14-2009, 04:57 AM
Which company most likely manufactures these strings?

uk_skippy
12-14-2009, 02:05 PM
I've just tried a hybrid of the Power Poly & Prince syn gut 17. I strung at my usual 53/56lbs, the same I string ALU Power & syn gut.

I found the string easy to string, nice and comfortable to handle. It felt softer than other polys.

I had a short hit with it tonight and it played ok. I found that some shots were going long, but overall a good hit. I didn't think it was as softer feeling, IMO, as my ALU Power/syn gut set up. Next time I may go up a couple of pounds.

Overall, the initial hit was good, and I found it was more to my liking than Cyberflash. So I may start to use that for my customers instead of Cyberflash.

I'd like to try the poly with the power syn gut, but the cost of the syn gut is, IMO, overpriced.

Regards

Paul

skyzoo
12-14-2009, 06:15 PM
I've just tried a hybrid of the Power Poly & Prince syn gut 17. I strung at my usual 53/56lbs, the same I string ALU Power & syn gut.

I found the string easy to string, nice and comfortable to handle. It felt softer than other polys.

I had a short hit with it tonight and it played ok. I found that some shots were going long, but overall a good hit. I didn't think it was as softer feeling, IMO, as my ALU Power/syn gut set up. Next time I may go up a couple of pounds.

Overall, the initial hit was good, and I found it was more to my liking than Cyberflash. So I may start to use that for my customers instead of Cyberflash.

I'd like to try the poly with the power syn gut, but the cost of the syn gut is, IMO, overpriced.

Regards

Paul
Thanks for the quick review

LafayetteHitter
12-15-2009, 01:59 PM
I've been using Cyberflash in full sets for the last couple weeks. I am hoping the Mantis strings coming in are a little better at holding tension.

tenniscoach07
12-15-2009, 11:07 PM
here is what mantis replied to me:

Details are as follows:

1 set of Power Polyester (17g / 1.22mm) - Comparable with Luxilon Alu Power or Luxilon TiMo. This has been very popular - especially when used as a hybrid.

1 set of Comfort Polyester (16g / 1.30mm) - Comparable with Luxilon Big Banger Original (but my string has a softer feel) or Babolat Pro Hurricane.

1 set of Power Synthetic (17g / 1.22mm) - Comparable with Babolat Conquest (due to the construction – mono core with mono wraps). This has been selling well in the UK.

1 set of Comfort Synthetic (16g / 1.30mm) - Comparable with Wilson Sensation or Babolat Xcel Premium. A nice soft string with very good power as well.

Please note that the comparisons are based on feedback so far and you may find alternative strings that you feel are closer to my range. These are just for an initial reference.

The MANTIS strings can also be ‘mixed and matched’ in different hybrid combinations to find the best set up for you personally.

There will also be a MANTIS Performa Tac Overgrip. These are very similar to the Wilson Pro Overgrip but have a bit more ‘tack’. These are proving very popular!

Ash_Smith
12-15-2009, 11:57 PM
^^^

I received the same when I was speaking to Martin from Mantis last night - looking forward to giving them a try.

saffers
12-16-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm in England, I'm a coach(used to be a pro player) and have been using the MANTIS brand for a few months now. As 'kickserver' said earlier, the hybrid of MANTIS power polyester as main strings and the power synthetic as cross strings is fantastic. When i am playing any tournaments i use this hybrid, and i feel it is as good as any thing i used when playing on the tour. When coaching i use the polyester on its own, it lasts forever!!!! Give it a try guys, you won't be dissappointed!!

jayserinos99
12-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Hmm, I'm waiting for test sample to arrive any day now and was considering going with a straight up power polyester setup but the power poly/syn hybrid is definitely intriguing to me.

LafayetteHitter
12-16-2009, 06:42 PM
I saw a picture of the Mantis bag and it was the best looking bag I have seen in a long time.

jayserinos99
12-16-2009, 10:02 PM
I saw the bag too, definitely classy looking without all the need for flash.

Net Wizard
12-18-2009, 07:38 AM
I live in Berkshire (England) and play at a big indoor club. The guy who strings my rackets introduced me to the Mantis range and I am absolutely delighted he did! The strings play really well and feel very nice (although I admit I am not a top standard player so my feedback may be less relevant than others on here). However, in my view they are excellent value for money.

I think the owner of Mantis may live locally as I have seen a few of the thermo bags around as they are being used by some good coaches and juniors who are being sponsored. As mentioned previously by others, the thermos do look really nice - classy looking but not too flashy.

One thing I can give a valid opinion on is the overgrips. They are superb and feel great. They may not work as well if you sweat heavily or play in humid conditions but in cold England they are tops!

LafayetteHitter
12-18-2009, 08:09 AM
Hopefully i'll get overgrips to try out as well. I am a long time fan of the Wilson Pro but I am always willing to try a new overgrip out.

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
12-25-2009, 08:07 AM
I've got these strings lying in my bag.....
I'm gonna try ALU rough with the Comfort Synthetic on one stick
Then I'll put the Power Polyester with the Comfort Synthetic
I've also got MSV Focus-Hex in my Bag....
which combos should i try?

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
12-25-2009, 11:33 AM
And by the way heres my link to the bags...
thread: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=303240

pics: http://www3.snapfish.com/thumbnailsh...NAME=snapfish/

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
12-26-2009, 01:40 AM
Are they offering samples? The website link just seems to their own online store.
To get free samples you need to apply for
the sponsorship thing

LafayetteHitter
12-26-2009, 09:56 AM
My package arrived today. I should be stringing up a full job of the comfort poly in the next day.

http://i47.tinypic.com/14vib0h.jpg

Lex
12-30-2009, 02:04 AM
My doubles partner just hit with the Power Poly.

He said overall it played like the Lux he was previously hitting with (I can't recall whick Lux string he was using). He liked it and said it had plenty of power.

Martin, from Mantis, sent me a starter pack of the strings. I'll try the Comfort Poly soon.

Any other reviews??????

Kick Server
12-30-2009, 04:28 AM
I have tried the full range. My favourite is the Power Polyester combined with the Power Synthetic as I find full poly's a bit too hard on my arm.

However, I did try them all individually just out of interest! My thoughts are as follows:
Power Polyester - as good as any poly I have used (and far better value for money). You really feel that you have good grip on the ball.

Comfort Polyester - felt soft to me for a poly. Some people I know love this option while others love the Power Poly. Rarely do people love both.

Power Synthetic - good power level but still with excellent control. Very easy and comfortable to string

Comfort Synthetic - very comfortable playability. The strings started to move a bit. Probably best for players with stiffer or oversize rackets. Or maybe as a hybrid.

Performa Tac Overgrip - excellent and brilliant value for money

Hope this helps!

LafayetteHitter
01-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Mantis Comfort Poly mains with Comfort Synthetic crosses. This is probably the softest feeling Synthetic I have come across. It even felt softer stringing it than some of the softer Multi's. Can't wait to get out and hit with this string job.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2vcbxfr.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2upzh9t.jpg

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
01-02-2010, 10:05 AM
YES, I've just tried the comfort synthetic in the crosses with MSV in the
mains. The string is a multifilament. FORGET TECHNIFIBRE X-one
this is such a good alternative, and it doesn't have a big price tag either.
It's a very...springy string giving LOADS of touch and feel...almost
gut-like. It provided all the feel i needed, msv feels very "dead" so
this really helped. my search for a spin and feel friendly string is over.
this combo is HEAVEN!

origmarm
01-07-2010, 03:48 AM
I have a set of the comfort synthetic and the comfort poly on the way to try. It will be a hybrid also similar to LafayetteHitter so it will be interesting to see if we come out similar as a review.

Given SixOne's comments here also I will give it a try with Focus Hex mains also.

I am thinking to try the comfort poly with NRG2 crosses to try and compare.

As I'm away a lot on business at the moment this will take a while but I'll update as I go along.

Cheers, Orig

Edit: Incidentally they were cheaper from the shop I got them than from Mantis directly ??? Not by much though but....

Ferocious Forehand
01-08-2010, 09:59 AM
What I like about MANTIS is the simplicity of their range.
There is a power string (in poly or synthetic) and there is a comfort string (in poly or in synthetic).
The prices are so good that you can try each one individually and then start mixing and matching hybrid combinations. A number of my hitting partners use MANTIS but there are different combinations that work for different game styles etc.
From my experiences so far, they also offer excellent customer service over here.

Mister Goulash
01-09-2010, 11:27 AM
I too have tried out the MANTIS range. Below is my personal feedback (I strung the synthetics at 58lbs and the polys at 52lbs on a Dunlop 4D areogel 200):

Comfort Synthetic
Just like the label says a very comfortable and easy string to hit with. It had probably had the most “luxurious” feeling from all the strings that I tried. I could however start seeing a little bit of wear on the strings after playing with the strings - which is only to be expected with such as string.

Power Synthetic
Definitely the most lively string of the bunch. The string felt very responsive and you could definitely tell the difference between the two synthetics. The ball felt more explosive coming off the racquet as opposed to the Comfort Synthetic. This string really rewards players that will go after their shots.

Comfort Poly
This was the softest feeling string out of the bunch. It really felt like the ball was being absorbed into the strings. I was still able to generate enough power on my shots – so that was not compromised at all. I do however think that if this string was available in at 17G, it would be even that much better - I just felt a little bulky with my small frame – for wider stringing patterns it would be just great.

Power Poly
Before I say anything else I think this will turn out to be the top selling string. Overall this string offers everything that I am wanting to get out of the playability of my string. Good power, solid feel and felt very responsive when trying all different types of shots. Just like the PS above this string is best when accelerating through your shots.

Lastly the overgrip – I normally use the old blue tounagrips so when I first put the MANTIS one in my hand it felt like glue – very sticky and tacky. Not that that is a bad thing at all – I am just used to a different grip. I can however say that the more I played with it the more I adjusted and the more comfortable it became – in fact I will even go as far to say that I enjoy it now. However above all my personal feelings this grip is constructed with incredible quality – I mean the sticky/tacky feeling is still there after all those hours hitting but the most impressive thing is that it still looks brand new – no wear what so ever. If this was a tournagrip I would have gone through 2 of them by now.

My overall all assessment of the MANTIS product line is that very high quality has gone into the construction of these products. At no point did anything feel cheap or that corners were cut. I think that you have done a great job with your products and I did take a brief look at the prices of these products and they appear to be very reasonably priced according to the market around them. With the strings offered I believe there is something for everyone’s game available while at the same time there are not 50 different choices like some of the other companies (which gets very confusing and I personally believe undercuts their quality since they are just trying to saturate the market and cover every single element some players might be looking for).

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
01-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi guys,
My strings broke today (both of them) :(
I'm gonna try power poly with comfort synthetic....
will post my review soon

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
01-09-2010, 02:50 PM
And there's a possibility MANTIS will release Natural Gut

Bud
01-10-2010, 05:20 AM
Alright, I'll bite. I'll email them and ask for some of their power strings.

Just pray your mantis strings arrive quickly :)

origmarm
01-11-2010, 12:48 AM
Comfort Poly
This was the softest feeling string out of the bunch. It really felt like the ball was being absorbed into the strings. I was still able to generate enough power on my shots – so that was not compromised at all. I do however think that if this string was available in at 17G, it would be even that much better - I just felt a little bulky with my small frame – for wider stringing patterns it would be just great.

Many thanks for the reviews. This is a very interesting comment, you felt the comfort poly played softer than the synthetics? Including the "comfort synthetic"?

As an aside how was the tension loss on the polys? What would you say was the "playable time" in hours as a guesstimate?

Cheers, Orig

Mister Goulash
01-11-2010, 08:01 AM
Yes - that ploy did feel softer than the synthetic. I had my stringer string up 4 rackets at the same time so when I tried the strings I could alternate between them and judge the differences between the strings that way.

Regarding tension loss - I only played with the comfort poly about 20-25 minutes and noticed nothing. I prefered the power poly which I have used for maybe 4 hours. The string felt slightly looser (I would be guessing maybe a pound or 2 - I really have no idea) than when it was freshly strung but you adapt to this as you are playing and didn't affect anything. Personally I would be fine using the string until it broke rather than cutting it out of the frame after a few hours - it still felt fine to me.

lew.m.f.tennisfan
01-11-2010, 10:23 AM
when coming out

LafayetteHitter
01-11-2010, 11:06 AM
when coming out

Tennis warehouse should be playtesting it soon and hopefully they will pick up this great line of strings. I am loving the Comfort Poly.

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
01-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Just tried the Power Poly with Power Synthetic
Gr8 combo....sticking with this....i hope i don't have to switch AGAIN!
My mains were strung 4lbs tighter, generating alot of spin and power.
When i put a dampener, i regained some of the control which i lost.
Freshly strung, they play great....after a while...........
they played even better!

PROTENNIS63
01-11-2010, 01:45 PM
I am going to try their poly and see how it plays.

Mr. Blond
01-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Lafayettehitter.....got my package in today. Maybe we get some warm weather our way we can give this stuff a run ay?

I am still loving the Solinco Tour Bite I have installed, but would not mind stringing up my back up with this mantis stuff and give it a go.

LafayetteHitter
01-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Lafayettehitter.....got my package in today. Maybe we get some warm weather our way we can give this stuff a run ay?

I am still loving the Solinco Tour Bite I have installed, but would not mind stringing up my back up with this mantis stuff and give it a go.

Sounds great, shoot me a text or call me and I will come over for some court time anytime this week.

origmarm
01-14-2010, 01:30 AM
I received a package of comfort poly and comfort synthetic yesterday.

The first thing that struck me about the "Comfort Synthetic" is that it is VERY visually similar to Weisscannon Explosiv. To the point where I would say visually they are the same string. Interested to see if it plays similar.

Anyone else notice this?

I'm wondering if the comfort poly also resembles anything from the Weisscannon brand (it does not resemble either Scorpion or Silverstring) but I can't think of one.

Additionally would be interesting to see if the "Power Poly" resembles Silverstring. I bet it does...

Regards, Orig

drummerdan
01-21-2010, 11:48 AM
I just rec'd the 4 different strings from Mantis and strung up the comfort poly in the mains and comfort syn in the crosses. The syn is VERY soft feeling during the stringing and almost feels like a rubber band. I pre-stretched the string (syn gut only) and double-pulled every cross. Both were very easy to string and it looks like I'll get a chance to hit this weekend.

More later...

drummerdan
01-23-2010, 01:47 PM
I just rec'd the 4 different strings from Mantis and strung up the comfort poly in the mains and comfort syn in the crosses. The syn is VERY soft feeling during the stringing and almost feels like a rubber band. I pre-stretched the string (syn gut only) and double-pulled every cross. Both were very easy to string and it looks like I'll get a chance to hit this weekend.

More later...

After a 2 hr hit today: The first 15 minutes were not impressive. It was pretty typical of the polys I have had. Crappy string to start and gets better after a while. I could also feel it in my elbow a bit. I went back to my Gaucho Gut racquet and my arm felt better instantly. However, the gut broke and I went back to the Mantis setup. After a while, the feel and play was much improved. Also, my arm felt fine this time. Hmmm...? The spin improved but still not up to other polys I have used and certainly not my normal gut setup. More info later.

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
01-24-2010, 01:41 PM
what setup is this??????^^^^^^^
I haven't tried the comfort poly....

drummerdan
01-24-2010, 05:15 PM
what setup is this??????^^^^^^^
I haven't tried the comfort poly....

Comfort Poly (main) / Comfort Syn (crosses).

Ash_Smith
01-25-2010, 12:30 AM
Drummerdan - the power poly generates way more spin than the comfort poly. I agree that they need a little settling in period though, I have found the same thing with both the power and comfort poly's.

drummerdan
01-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Drummerdan - the power poly generates way more spin than the comfort poly. I agree that they need a little settling in period though, I have found the same thing with both the power and comfort poly's.

Did you string the tension down in the power poly? How much? The Mantis site doesn't recommend anything.

Ash_Smith
01-25-2010, 12:56 PM
@ drummerdan

yeah, about 55lbs in my prestige - though next time i'd go a couple lower again - as it softened off it got better - initially had a few twinges in the arm (never had that before) but now all clear and playing great.

LafayetteHitter
01-25-2010, 04:51 PM
If you do not have arm issues I would stick with your usual tension or possibly go down 2lbs. I have it newly strung in one of my new PK Ki 15 PSE's and it is incredible. The Power Poly should be the go to string for anyone that likes Alu but wants their reels in the under 100 dollar shipped range. I have 5 hours court time on my setup right now and have no noticeable tension loss yet. This string really feels nice in the PK. I like the Comfort Poly but the Power so far in a full job is my favorite setup by far.

Hotrocks
01-27-2010, 07:18 AM
I am awaiting my test strings and I will post feedback here along with pics soon. It's always nice to see an innovative new company introducing strings.

I also ordered a few set's to try & there grip to try also. They emailed back and stated they where also sending along a few FREE(synthetic) set's to try, since I just ordered the Poly. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! I wish them well!

Shawn James
01-27-2010, 08:19 AM
Great String, still feels good after 10 hours of play, I cant believe I have not cut it out yet, great string, best I have tried, Shawn James

Blade0324
01-27-2010, 10:59 AM
about how long did it take you guys to get your string after you ordered with martin? To those that are in the US that is.

schenkelini
01-27-2010, 03:28 PM
It took 4 days for me.

T1000
01-27-2010, 04:36 PM
It took 10 days (7 business days) to get to me.

Just got my Powerpoly and overgrip. The overgrip is exactly like wilson pro/yonex supergrap. The string was easy to string, not hard for a poly at all. I hit off a wall for about 15 mins and it felt good, no pain in the arm. I feels like it has good power/spin potential, I'm playing tomorrow night and will write a review comparing it to bb alu rough (my favorite string) genesis spin x (latest string I tried) and Kirschbaum competition 17g (my current string)

Blade0324
02-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Got mine on Monday and am going to string it up tonight and then get a hit in. I'm going to go with the Power Poly mains and Power Synthetic crosses at 59-61 respectively and see how it goes. I'll report back on my thoughts.

jayserinos99
02-03-2010, 09:38 PM
I couldn't give the Power Poly a decent review until now. The first time I brought out the Mantis-strung frame, it really threw me off since I kept preferring to use my normal frame due to the change of balance. Today I just left my other frames at home and only brought the Mantis-strung frame in the hope of giving this string a fair playtest.

Normal string and tension: MSV Hex 18L Black at 50 lbs
Mantis test: Power Poly 17 at 50 lbs

I played today for a total of 3 hours: 2 hours of decent hitting (4.0 singles), 1 hour of 4.0-4.5 dubs

When I first opened the can of tennis balls and hit with another 4.0 flat ball hitter, I couldn't for the life of me get the kind of spin I normally got with my regular MSV. I noticed that the ball would occasionally fly for no reason. I like my stringbed to cup the ball and I didn't get that sensation at first with Mantis Power Poly. I felt that there needed to be some break-in period but it didn't take very long IMO (say after the first hour). The feel off the stringbed was solid and the power level was somewhat comparable to MSV Hex but I think it was a tad softer.

During the second hour of hitting, I was getting dialed in a bit more. The spin was getting better and I was getting a bit more bite. The power level was still the same. Maybe I was just getting used to the strings more.

Lastly, when I played doubles, I think this is where the strings shined. Maybe it was a combination of just getting used to the strings/tension and my game finally clicking, but I basically played out of my mind for two sets (we won 0 and 2). What I noticed the most was that I can take a nice cut at the ball and the ball would pancake in the stringbed and feel wonderful at impact. The ball speed coming off the racquet was definitely quick as my opponents told me afterward; I also hit a couple of big forehands that surprised me as well. My kick and slice serves had good bite and I was able to hit some really effective serves and throw in a couple of aces out wide on the ad side. Lastly, in all 3 hours of hitting today, my arm didn't hurt.

My final judgement is that if I were looking at a new 17g poly string, I'd give the Mantis a look. It's got a soft feel, good pop and the pocketing that I liked...but only after a break-in period. I'd personally stick with MSV Hex 18L because there was a big difference in how my PB10 mid played with 17g and 18L string and I like 18L string.

Blade0324
02-04-2010, 06:02 AM
So here are initial opinions of the strings. I was very concerned about the Power Syn. (PS) when stringing it is VERY soft feeling and is only a 17g where I usually go 16g for crosses. The Power Poly (PP) felt pretty soft for a poly and the guage seemed to be almost a 17L. Strung the mains at 60 and crosses at 63 in my MGPP.

Due to the softness and how smooth these strings were I was concerned about string movement and am happy to report that there was basically none.

Groundstrokes
I found these to be very nice from the very start and did not think that there was any break in period that was needed IMO. Spin was quite nice but I did not notice any exceptional bite on the ball. The string bed did feel a little soft to me given the tension but not springy or mushy in any way. Over all very consistant and solid with good control and power. Topspin was pretty average for a hybrid setup like this. Slice however did seem to have a bit more control and the ball seemed to stay a little lower and slide more on my opponents which gave them some fits.

Volley
I found these to be good at the net allowing for nice underspin on volleys that did stay low. The response off of the strings was pretty good against some hard hit balls from my playing partners (4.5 and 5.0 players) I was able to absorb and redirect the pace nicely.

Serve
For me this was a good highlight of this set up. I felt a bit more pop on my serves and my first serve seemed to hop off the court better than normal. Kick serve was about the same as a normal set up for me and while I did not find any more height or twist on these the depth in the box did seem to be better. Slice serve is where this seemed to shine. I was able to take opponents out wide with ease on the deuce side and hit hard slice up the middle on the add side that just ran away from the returner. This did seem to be better than the norm for me as the ball didn't really bite but rather slid out on these serves which was really effective.

I am overall quite happy with the strings and look forward to hitting with them some more to see how the tension holds up and how the durability of the PS is being only 17g. I'd like to give it a go in a 16g and see but for now I am very happy with the quality and performance of these strings. Martin has a good thing going IMO.

Danstevens
02-04-2010, 08:12 AM
I've got a set of Mantis Power Poly here at the moment just waiting to be strung up. I'll post a review once I've strung played with it for a bit.

Any recommendations for tension - I'm guessing that I should string it like any other poly? How long are you guys getting out of it before it goes dead?

TennezSport
02-04-2010, 08:44 AM
The first thing that struck me about the "Comfort Synthetic" is that it is VERY visually similar to Weisscannon Explosiv. To the point where I would say visually they are the same string. Interested to see if it plays similar. Anyone else notice this?

We are just about to cmplete a long term test of Mantis CS130 and we also felt the same way about this string. However, we also noticed that CS is not as spriny as WC Explosiv and it holds tension much better (almost as good as NG in our tests). CS pockets the ball very well with a good balance of power and control. Touch/Feel are outstanding and spin is easy to generate. Not as spin friendly as a poly but still very good. We were really impressed with this string and think Mantis has a winner here.

We are currently testing Mantis' Power poly with Comfort Poly and Power Synthetic to fellow. So far the quality of this string is very high along with the performance.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

LafayetteHitter
02-12-2010, 03:25 PM
We are just about to cmplete a long term test of Mantis CS130 and we also felt the same way about this string. However, we also noticed that CS is not as spriny as WC Explosiv and it holds tension much better (almost as good as NG in our tests). CS pockets the ball very well with a good balance of power and control. Touch/Feel are outstanding and spin is easy to generate. Not as spin friendly as a poly but still very good. We were really impressed with this string and think Mantis has a winner here.

We are currently testing Mantis' Power poly with Comfort Poly and Power Synthetic to fellow. So far the quality of this string is very high along with the performance.

Glad to hear you guys are testing. I'll be interested to read your results.

origmarm
02-14-2010, 05:03 AM

Thanks Tennez, interesting results. I'm intrigued to see what you thought of the comfort poly. I'm still playtesting and will post a review once done. To string was slightly "tacky" to me, similar to how Forten Sweet is. Very interesting string so far.

Orig

seesquare
02-14-2010, 06:07 PM
I have ordered a sample pack of the string range, and am anxious to test these out. I appreciate someone else using a PK 15g also, for comparison purposes. I am VERY careful to protect my old arm from injury (late 50's 4.0, essentially).
Also, coaching high school team, and I'm sure the kids will be curious as to what "woofus dust" I have in my frame.

Greek Goliath
02-14-2010, 06:16 PM

Should be quite an interesting read!

Cheers,

Greek Goliath

seesquare
02-15-2010, 06:37 AM
Strings being shipped today. Should be about 7-10 days. "Shorter, when we get a USA distributor", per Martin's email.

Standupnfall
02-15-2010, 06:44 AM
Strings being shipped today. Should be about 7-10 days. "Shorter, when we get a USA distributor", per Martin's email.

Mine only about 5 days including weekend. Very quick for international delivery

T1000
02-15-2010, 06:47 AM
Tried Mantis Power Poly and wasn't impressed. Nice strings but no "wow" factor. I felt like there wasn't any ball bite and way too much power, my shots were sailing long. Had trouble getting topspin consistently and volleys were awful for me.

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
02-15-2010, 08:06 AM
MANTIS will be releasing Natural Gut soon,
but are still talking to a supplier on price.
Hybrids will be coming out by the end of
the year, and all eyes on the racket they will
be releasing :D

PBODY99
02-15-2010, 09:11 AM
Used Comfort Poly (main) / power Syn (crosses) at my normal 54 lbs <cp> in a Prince Speedport Gold 110.
It was extremely comfortable, more so than my usual set up. Power and control were spot on, and I had no problem with needing a break in period. I had strung the frame 30 hours before I got a chance to use it.
I would like to see this string in a 1.15 mm version.[

Dominik
02-16-2010, 08:59 AM
I think I'm going to give these strings a try as well, they seem very promising! :)

Does anyone know how to set up an account with a Canadian address?

I can't seem to figure it out on the website, even when I manage to put in "Ontario" and leave the country field blank, the page doesn't go forward. :(

babotennis10
02-16-2010, 09:05 AM
I think I'm going to give these strings a try as well, they seem very promising! :)

Does anyone know how to set up an account with a Canadian address?

I can't seem to figure it out on the website, even when I manage to put in "Ontario" and leave the country field blank, the page doesn't go forward. :(

Email the company directly. I ask all my question through email to Martin. He's the US guy and he is a great help. He set me up with my discounts.

Dominik
02-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Email the company directly. I ask all my question through email to Martin. He's the US guy and he is a great help. He set me up with my discounts.

Yup, just did! Do you mind if I add you on aim? I have a few questions for you about adiplayer as well! :)

babotennis10
02-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Yup, just did! Do you mind if I add you on aim? I have a few questions for you about adiplayer as well! :)

I don't use AIM anymore but you can email me babotennis10@ymail.com

Bad Dog
02-16-2010, 09:21 AM

I tried to google Mantis tennis strings, but could not find a website or email. Any hints?

origmarm
02-16-2010, 09:22 AM
I tried to google Mantis tennis strings, but could not find a website or email. Any hints?

http://www.mantis-sport.com/

babotennis10
02-16-2010, 09:22 AM

www. mantis-sport .com

enter without spaces

Bad Dog
02-16-2010, 09:24 AM
http://www.mantis-sport.com/

www. mantis-sport .com

enter without spaces

Excellent; thank you for the immediate responses.

babotennis10
02-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Excellent; thank you for the immediate responses.

No problem man.

Dominik
02-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Made my order, should be coming in soon! :)

miniRafa386
02-16-2010, 03:06 PM
sorry to change subject- lafayettehitter, do you play for lafayette college or louisiana-lafayette, or played for either? i have a few friends who have committed this year to lafayette college and im talking to the louisiana-lafayette coach.

seesquare
02-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Sample pack arrived last night, so it was an even 7 days to cross-the-pond, & travel the nation. Have to decide which combo's to install in my 2 PK's for testing. Probably the Power Poly in the mains, with Power Synthetic in one stick, and Comfort Synthetic in the other. I'll be feeding & hitting balls all weekend, so it should be a fair test. Think I'll put the overgrips on, too.

seesquare
02-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Initial impression: firm & responsive. Hybrid with Power Poly. Comfort Synthetic seems to grip the ball a bit better than Power Synthetic. Comes off the stringbed quickly. Now, let's see how it ages & maintains feel & resiliency. Stay tuned.

seesquare
02-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Yeah, those overgrips are nice. I've got notoriously dry hands, so they are pretty sticky.

LafayetteHitter
02-27-2010, 02:20 PM
sorry to change subject- lafayettehitter, do you play for lafayette college or louisiana-lafayette, or played for either? i have a few friends who have committed this year to lafayette college and im talking to the louisiana-lafayette coach.

I do not go the university here. It is a very nice college and a very friendly place to live. I am sure you would be happy if you made the choice to come here.

Dream_On
02-28-2010, 01:46 PM
What would comfort or power synthetic be like as a hybrid with black code?

seesquare
02-28-2010, 06:40 PM
OK, longer playtest this afternoon. The power Synthetic definitiely has more juice than the Comfort. After 2 hours of cutthroat, the poly was just loosening up nicely.
I will be hitting practice balls with both racquets all week, so it will be a test of arm-friendliness, also.

82300sd
03-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Ordered on Feb 25th, got in the mail today (Mar 2), fast shipping, from the UK to US!
I got all 4 different strings (and overgrip) and am looking forward to trying them out.

origmarm
03-07-2010, 03:09 PM
I posted a Mantis Comfort Poly review for those interested:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=316438

DennisK
03-09-2010, 01:18 PM
I used a full bed of Power Poly 1.22 in one of my MW200G's on Saturday. Didn't really play enough to make any detailed opinions, but one thing is for sure, this string is pretty powerful for a poly - definately a couple of notches up in terms of power compared to my usual full bed of 1.18 SPPP.

Quite liking it at the moment as it gives me some more useful pop (always a nice thing to have with a MW200G), but still gives a decent grip on the ball.

More observations later after I've had more time to hit with it.

It was pretty typical for a co-poly in terms of stringing behaviour.

Dominik
03-10-2010, 06:10 PM
I posted a Mantis Comfort Poly review for those interested:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=316438

I did a quick Power Poly 17 review for anyone interested :)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=4459476#post4459476

PS: origmarm, I hope you don't mind that I used your basic template for the review! :)

origmarm
03-10-2010, 11:49 PM
I did a quick Power Poly 17 review for anyone interested :)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=4459476#post4459476

PS: origmarm, I hope you don't mind that I used your basic template for the review! :)

Hey there Dominik, don't mind at all, I actually stole it also :)...it's been used on this forum for a long time in more or less the same format.

Nice review, if you find the Power Poly similar to M2 and this is something you like I think you will like the Comfort Poly. Similar to Big Ace but more so i.e. closer to a syn gut for me. A bit less "poly like" in terms of feel (which I think is a good thing).

Cheers, Orig

TennezSport
03-13-2010, 10:04 AM
We just completed testing on Mantis Comfort synthetic and Power Poly also and completely agree with Origmarm's review. The thing that amazed us with the Comfort Synth was that it held tension better than any multi that we have ever tested (and that's a lot of string). We were very happy with all of the Mantis string we've tested so far.

We just heard that Mantis has completed it's importing deal to begin selling here in the States, so string will be available soon and if the prices stay the same, this string will really be something; great string good luck Mantis.

Dominik
03-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Hey there Dominik, don't mind at all, I actually stole it also :)...it's been used on this forum for a long time in more or less the same format.

Nice review, if you find the Power Poly similar to M2 and this is something you like I think you will like the Comfort Poly. Similar to Big Ace but more so i.e. closer to a syn gut for me. A bit less "poly like" in terms of feel (which I think is a good thing).

Cheers, Orig

Hey Orig!
Good to hear, I'm looking forward to testing the Comfort Poly asap! :) I definitely liked M2 and the Power Poly, we'll see how the Comfort Poly compares!

LafayetteHitter
03-22-2010, 11:36 AM
I am so happy to hear that Mantis has worked out a distribution deal in the US. Hopefully TW will pick up the line soon.

GameSetMatch
05-19-2010, 01:45 AM
We just completed testing on Mantis Comfort synthetic and Power Poly also and completely agree with Origmarm's review. The thing that amazed us with the Comfort Synth was that it held tension better than any multi that we have ever tested (and that's a lot of string).

With regard to tension maintenance, did you prestretch the CS before stringing or did you simply string it 'as is'?

GameSetMatch
05-19-2010, 01:46 AM
We are currently testing Mantis' .....Power Synthetic to fellow.

Any outcome / feedback?

Game-Set-MATCH!!!
08-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Any outcome / feedback?

excellent string. i am a sponsorsed junior from manits

Kcraig
08-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Any more reviews/feedback out there on the Mantis Comfort Synthetic. I ordered a pack and it came in today. Looks very very similar to Weiscannon Explosiv which I have played in the past (just seemed to lack some pop). I mean this Mantis feels and even smells just like the Explosiv!!! It is crazy!!
I am going to be going through a Multi testing phase as I have been having a sensitive elbow/tricep of late and therefore must move away from the full poly setups. :cry:

Looking at Tennezsport's review of the Mantis CS1.30 it looks pretty promising, especially in the tension maintence dept. Other strings I am going to try: QuasiGut 16g, Max Touch Classic 17g, Kirsch Mulitifibre 16g and then as stated the Mantis CS 1.30. I know what many will say--"man what about the technifibre multis?''--well I've tried multifeel, NRG and X-1 in 16g and Multifeel was the best of the bunch. NRG and X-1 were not overly impressive by any means. X-1 was nicer than NRG, once it was broken in (1-1.5hrs hitting).

Also--any information on the 17g pwr synthetic string is also welcomed.

Parker512
08-20-2010, 04:50 AM
Any thing on the Power synthetic.

ManuGinobili
08-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Best multi I've ever tried in a full bed. Great access to power, better spin than other multis, feel and comfort are very good. I was wreaking havoc with this string in a Volkl PB9, catching lines and making great drop shots. Seriously considering getting a reel of this. Will try the Comfort Synthetic soon.

Kcraig
08-26-2010, 06:29 AM
My understanding is that the Comfort Synthetic is not a multi but just a syn gut which may explain the nice spin. I have tried the Comfort SG 1.30 which is a multi. Very nice feel and comfort and very very similar to Explosiv. Was not blown away as it was almost too soft and mushy in my 60 flex stick. Def a nice string to soften up a stiffer frame.

TennezSport
08-26-2010, 07:45 AM
My understanding is that the Comfort Synthetic is not a multi but just a syn gut which may explain the nice spin. I have tried the Comfort SG 1.30 which is a multi. Very nice feel and comfort and very very similar to Explosiv. Was not blown away as it was almost too soft and mushy in my 60 flex stick. Def a nice string to soften up a stiffer frame.

Kcraig,

I think you meant to say the "Power Synthetic", which is the synth gut string from Mantis.

JT_2eighty
09-23-2010, 11:28 AM
. The thing that amazed us with the Comfort Synth was that it held tension better than any multi that we have ever tested (and that's a lot of string). We were very happy with all of the Mantis string we've tested so far.

Curious does the bolded statement include syn guts? I guess the name "comfort synthetic" is confusing some people that it is a synthetic gut, but sounds from what I've read this is a multifilament.

sberman51
05-16-2011, 03:21 AM
How do the following hybrids from Mantis compare?
MPP/MCS
MCP/MPS
MPP/MPS
MCP/MCS

Thanks in advance!

Up&comer
05-16-2011, 03:30 AM
MPP/MCS
MCP/MPS
MPP/MPS
MCP/MCS

Thanks in advance!

How many times have you asked that question?

smirker
05-16-2011, 04:06 AM
How many times have you asked that question?

Agreed, constant repetitive questions only serve to de-rail a thread.

BreakPoint
05-16-2011, 12:30 PM
MPP/MCS
MCP/MPS
MPP/MPS
MCP/MCS

Thanks in advance!
Try them and let us know. :)

sberman51
05-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Try them and let us know. :)

I want to, but I'm in a little predicament, and am not sure what to do. Here it is:

I think I want to try to use two of them in a hybrid and have some pretty good offers for reels. I am expecting a set of each of their strings in about 3 days. I don't have much time to try them out before making a decision, because the good offers for the reels keep running out of stock and I don't want to choose the wrong string and be stuck with it, yet I don't want to miss a great opportunity and have to pay a lot more for something than I could have(it's almost a 35% price difference!) While wanting to see how the strings perform in a hybrid, I also want to see how they perform individually for two reasons: So I can see how they perform individually, and so I know that if I wanted to use a full bed poly or multi, I can use them and they would perform well. Once I find which ones I like, however, I will have already used my set up, and therefore won't be able to try it in a hybrid. Then, if I purchase the reels of the two that I liked and it turns out that they don't perform well together in a hybrid, I'm well over $100 down, and stuck with 1,320ft. of useless string. I sure wish I could get just another set of the Power Poly and the Comfort Syn. Which setups should I try 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th?

What should I do?!

monticore
05-16-2011, 04:13 PM
you are never stuck with strings , should be able to find somebody to trade with on here if you don't like them.

cory

sberman51
05-16-2011, 04:43 PM
Ok. I think I'll at least get the reel of Mantis Comfort Synthetic. I think I'll get it in black, but does anyone know if colored and natural strings of the exact same type play the exact same? Why do some people prefer natural color?
Thanks

BreakPoint
05-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Ok. I think I'll at least get the reel of Mantis Comfort Synthetic. I think I'll get it in black, but does anyone know if colored and natural strings of the exact same type play the exact same? Why do some people prefer natural color?
Thanks
From my experience, different colors of the same string do play differently. So if you like a certain string in a certain color, I'd advise staying with that color.

sberman51
05-16-2011, 06:22 PM
That's interesting. Are you saying that I should try the strings in different colors? I am only able to try the MCS in natural, but if I like it, is it safe to assume that I will also like it in black (which I can get in a reel)?
Thanks

BreakPoint
05-16-2011, 07:57 PM
That's interesting. Are you saying that I should try the strings in different colors? I am only able to try the MCS in natural, but if I like it, is it safe to assume that I will also like it in black (which I can get in a reel)?
Thanks
It is not safe to assume you would also like it in black because the black version may or may not feel and play the same as the natural version.

sberman51
05-17-2011, 10:57 AM
It is not safe to assume you would also like it in black because the black version may or may not feel and play the same as the natural version.

Thanks, BreatPoint!

Has anyone tried any of the Mantis strings in different colors?
Interested to hear feedback on the subject.

Thanks!

origmarm
05-17-2011, 11:49 PM
Thanks, BreatPoint!

Has anyone tried any of the Mantis strings in different colors?
Interested to hear feedback on the subject.

Thanks!

Where are you seeing the Mantis string in different colours? I can't see this on TW or on the Mantis website...

Cheers,

Orig

fgs
05-18-2011, 12:02 AM
the power syn and the comfort syn should be available in black also. i have played the power syn in black (as it came with the prestrung ma300) and i could not find any difference to the natural one (which i extensively use as a cross string, but have played it fullbed too).

COPEY
05-18-2011, 03:07 AM
I just recently ordered a reel of the PS in black after depleting my reel of PS in natural. It feels a little different to the touch to me, and I've put it in a few racquets for others, but haven't played it myself. For what it's worth the people who have tried it love it, however, those people never played with PS in natural.

Origmarm - you can get it in the UK in black (same with Comfort Syn). I paid $8 more, but there was a demand for a good syn in black among several of my customers, so I had to go abroad. I wish TW carried both colors. What I do find interesting is when you order from the U.S. distributor they charge you more to ship it than Str---er's World. Sad lol.

TheRed
05-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Just compared hybrids of Mantis Power Poly mains + Comfort syn cross vs Weisscannon Scorpion mains + comfort syn crosses.

I have to say, I was surprised about the results. The only advantage Scorpion mains had was being softer. Volleys had more feel and more pop with the Mantis Power. Groundstrokes had much better spin (same guage string) and better pop. Serves - again, here the extra spin and pop was incomparable. Thing is, I felt I got better control and power, which is not something I'm used to. Usually, there's a give and take. Felt and an arm friendlier version of Big Banger ALU.

TheRed
05-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Where are you seeing the Mantis string in different colours? I can't see this on TW or on the Mantis website...

Cheers,

Orig

Check the bay.

origmarm
05-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Check the bay.

Cheers. Found it

What I do find interesting is when you order from the U.S. distributor they charge you more to ship it than Str---er's World. Sad lol.

What I noticed was that it's actually cheaper from "the world" than from Mantis in the UK also. So I save on the shipping AND the base price. Crazy

Noticed they have it in black on only one version of their site. Interesting. That and it's shown as a picture for all products but only available to order for some...

COPEY
05-19-2011, 03:19 AM
What I noticed was that it's actually cheaper from "the world" than from Mantis in the UK also. So I save on the shipping AND the base price. Crazy

Crazy is right. When it was first introduced in the states it was $10 cheaper per reel. If I had any incling I'd like the string so much I would've stocked up on a few reels. I just don't know how the U.S. distributor justifies their price for shipping. It's neither here nor there I suppose since you can circumvent the additional cost by ordering from TW. I just wish they carried the synthetics in black

I love PP, PS, and CS, but I've yet to give the CP a go. I'll have to do that soon.[/quote]

fgs
05-19-2011, 05:45 AM
have you also accounted for the vat when comparing prices? i recently ordered something from tw usa and have been charged the vat by ups upon delivery. i was expecting this, so i made my calculations upfront and still got my stuff a little bit cheaper than if i would have bought it from europe, but sometimes the huge pricedifferences got to the prices which at tw-usa do not bear their sales-tax (the us-version of our vat).
the tecnifibre multis are basically at half the price. i'd still get better off if i'd place an order in the us and have the strings delivered to europe!

sberman51
07-16-2011, 08:56 AM
I have Tennis Elbow now, which I got about a week ago. In my two racquets (Wilson BLX Pro Opens), I had 1 full-bed of BHBR 17 and a MPP/MCS hybrid. We believe it is the BHBR 17 which caused the TE (I used only that setup when I had it), so The other night, I cut out the BHBR 17, and strung my racquet with Gamma Live Wire 17. Much less pain. With the other setup, I don't know if I should replace it or not. I haven't hit much with it, but I'm not sure if it might agitate my elbow. Should I keep the setup the way it is, replace it with MCS, replace it with Gamma Live Wire 17, or replace it with Gamma Live Wire Professional 17? I'm in a hurry because I'm traveling to a training facility tomorrow morning and I'm staying there for a week. I want to string my racquet tonight with the string you all think is best. If you all don't think any of those strings are good for TE, here is a list of the strings I currently have. The amount of sets I have it in are in ( ).

AG International Nylon 15L (15)
Dunlop Black Widow 17 (1.5)
Dunlop Hexy Fibre 16 (0.5)
Dunlop S-Gut 17 (1)
Gamma Challenger Synthetic Gut 16 (1)
Gamma Live Wire 17 (2)
Gamma Live Wire Professional 17 (2)
Gamma Live Wire Revelation 16 (1)
Gamma TNT2 16 (1)
Gamma TNT2 18 (2)
Gamma Zo Power 17 (1)
Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16 (16)
Gosen OG Sheep Micro 17 (10)
Gosen Polylon Ice 17 (14)
Head Synthetic Gut PPS 18 (1)
Luxilon M2 Pro 16L (2)
Mantis Comfort Polyester 16 (0.5)
Mantis Comfort Synthetic 16 (2)
Mantis Power Polyester 17 (0.5)
Mantis Power Synthetic 17 (1)
Prince Beast XP 17 (2)
Tourna Big Hitter Blue Rough 17 (1)
Volkl Cyclone 18 (2)
Wilson Hollow Core Pro 17 (1)
Thanks in advance!

BreakPoint
07-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Stringing with full Mantis Comfort Synthetic should reduce your elbow pain.

GlenK
07-16-2011, 09:59 AM
^^Agree, that's what I'd do until the pain stopped. Then check out a hybrid to stay pain free.

fgs
07-16-2011, 10:06 AM
full bed mcs would surely not give you any pain or at least considerably reduce it.
i understood that you got into this trouble with the bhbr, but have you played the mpp/mcs and experienced pain?
you should take this seriously and play it on the safe side!!! but i was just wondering if you had any pain with the mpp/mcs combo.

GS
07-16-2011, 10:37 AM
I wish that Mantis Comfort Synthetic came in a 17 gauge, and in a 17 gauge reel. Guess I have to stick with TF's Multifeel 17.....

fgs
07-16-2011, 10:48 AM
when you string it it goes down to 17gauge, if not even lower. diameter decreases dramatically without employing too high tensions - i string it up at 22kg, which is some 48 lbs and i still get a considerable diameter-reduction.

sberman51
07-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Stringing with full Mantis Comfort Synthetic should reduce your elbow pain.

^^Agree, that's what I'd do until the pain stopped. Then check out a hybrid to stay pain free.

full bed mcs would surely not give you any pain or at least considerably reduce it.
i understood that you got into this trouble with the bhbr, but have you played the mpp/mcs and experienced pain?
you should take this seriously and play it on the safe side!!! but i was just wondering if you had any pain with the mpp/mcs combo.

Thanks! I'm surprised that you all chose MCS over Gamma Live Wire and Gamma Live Wire Professional. If you forget price and availability, is MCS the better string? Can someone please compare MCS and Gamma Live Wire?
Also, just to clarify, do you all think I should take out the MPP/MCS hybrid and put in a full-bed of something softer?

Thanks in advance!

And to fgs, I can't fully answer your question. I only played with the MPP/MCS hybrid for maybe eight hours. I didn't experience any elbow pain, but I never have with any other string before. I think the reason I had trouble with BHBR 17 was that I played with the same setup for a total of 48 hours (until breakage). I think that's what did me over (extended use of dead poly). I would go back out and try it for you, but at this point I don't want to take any chances with my elbow. I hope you understand.
Thanks!

BreakPoint
07-16-2011, 12:01 PM
I wish that Mantis Comfort Synthetic came in a 17 gauge, and in a 17 gauge reel. Guess I have to stick with TF's Multifeel 17.....
Actually, it's a good thing that it doesn't because the 16 gauge already breaks so fast that I think a 17 gauge would break even before I got it off of my stringer. :lol: LOL

BreakPoint
07-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks! I'm surprised that you all chose MCS over Gamma Live Wire and Gamma Live Wire Professional. If you forget price and availability, is MCS the better string? Can someone please compare MCS and Gamma Live Wire?
Also, just to clarify, do you all think I should take out the MPP/MCS hybrid and put in a full-bed of something softer?

Thanks in advance!

MCS is probably the softest and most comfortable string of any type I have ever played with. I can't really comment on "better" because "better" is very subjective. What one person thinks is "better" about a string may not apply for someone else.

fgs
07-16-2011, 12:09 PM
sberman51,
i don't know the gamma string so i just recommend what i do know, and the mcs is as soft as a multi can get in my opinion.
no, don't give it a try. my question was if you had any pain with that combo.
don't play with dead strings - you most probably got to muscleing the ball as you had no more elastic response from the string. dead strings are a very dangerous injury source because you don't really see it coming! and it creeps on you - when you spread your ankle you stop playing and give it time and treatment to heal. when you start to feel a little bit of something in the elbow or wrist or shoulder, you really don't pay much attention, take an aspirin and hit the courts again - and then it takes you out for quite a while.

sberman51
07-16-2011, 12:12 PM
MCS is probably the softest and most comfortable string of any type I have ever played with. I can't really comment on "better" because "better" is very subjective. What one person thinks is "better" about a string may not apply for someone else.

Have you tried Gamma Live Wire?

sberman51
07-16-2011, 12:15 PM
sberman51,
i don't know the gamma string so i just recommend what i do know, and the mcs is as soft as a multi can get in my opinion.
no, don't give it a try. my question was if you had any pain with that combo.
don't play with dead strings - you most probably got to muscleing the ball as you had no more elastic response from the string. dead strings are a very dangerous injury source because you don't really see it coming! and it creeps on you - when you spread your ankle you stop playing and give it time and treatment to heal. when you start to feel a little bit of something in the elbow or wrist or shoulder, you really don't pay much attention, take an aspirin and hit the courts again - and then it takes you out for quite a while.

Thanks! Actually, I have just taken advil and hit the courts again...everyday for the past week and a half. I haven't even iced it yet...I keep forgetting! I guess I did get to musceling the ball. I kind of liked it because I could hit harder. I guess I didn't think of it as "the string is dead."

BreakPoint
07-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Have you tried Gamma Live Wire?
Yes, I have and I didn't really care for it at all. In fact, I think all Gamma strings are sub-par.

sberman51
07-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Can anyone relate MCS to another string? In other words, the string MCS is in many ways very similar to the string(s)...
Thanks!

fgs
07-16-2011, 01:22 PM
to me it played similar to the isospeed professional meaning good touch and low power. others seem to compare it to the weiss-cannon explosive!, a string i haven't played yet.

sberman51
07-16-2011, 01:31 PM
How often should I replace it? I'm guessing since many people say durability is it's only downside, I should replace it when it's broken?
Thanks!

fgs
07-16-2011, 01:45 PM
multis generally don't go dead in the way polys do, so replacing it when you break it should not be the problem.

sberman51
07-16-2011, 02:07 PM
multis generally don't go dead in the way polys do, so replacing it when you break it should not be the problem.

Ok. Thanks!

sberman51
07-16-2011, 02:22 PM
RSI said that Gamma Professional 17 is 7 lb/in less stiff than MCS. It is also thinner by 0.02mm and looses 2.05 lbs less tension than MCS. Is it therefore better or worse for TE than MCS? Has anyone tried both?
Thanks in advance!

mikeler
07-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Actually, it's a good thing that it doesn't because the 16 gauge already breaks so fast that I think a 17 gauge would break even before I got it off of my stringer. :lol: LOL

It is a thin 16g anyways.

BreakPoint
07-16-2011, 09:58 PM
RSI said that Gamma Professional 17 is 7 lb/in less stiff than MCS. It is also thinner by 0.02mm and looses 2.05 lbs less tension than MCS. Is it therefore better or worse for TE than MCS? Has anyone tried both?
Thanks in advance!
This is yet another example of why you shouldn't believe the RSI stiffness ratings.

Just give MCS a try. It feels like hitting with a pillow on top of your stringbed. :)

mikeler
07-18-2011, 04:52 AM
This is yet another example of why you shouldn't believe the RSI stiffness ratings.

Just give MCS a try. It feels like hitting with a pillow on top of your stringbed. :)

I'm also finding that frame stiffness ratings suffer from the same problem after using the Pro Kennex 7G. To the OP, buy a pack of Mantis Comfort and stop obsessing over it.

sberman51
07-18-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm also finding that frame stiffness ratings suffer from the same problem after using the Pro Kennex 7G. To the OP, buy a pack of Mantis Comfort and stop obsessing over it.

I did, and wow! It doesn't hurt when I play! It (weirdly) hurts when not playing, but rather hurts when just waiting, small movements, ect. I'm playing really intensely, and it surprisingly doesn't hurt then. Anyone think they may know why?

mikeler
07-18-2011, 02:44 PM
I did, and wow! It doesn't hurt when I play! It (weirdly) hurts when not playing, but rather hurts when just waiting, small movements, ect. I'm playing really intensely, and it surprisingly doesn't hurt then. Anyone think they may know why?

That string is like butter.