PDA

View Full Version : Strings that provide the most bite.

Tdot
12-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Hi,

Can you guys recommend to me a couple of strings that grab the ball the best ?

dragon2o00
12-10-2009, 03:28 PM
how hard do you hit?

i liked big banger alu rough but it only played well for the first 2-3 hours before snapping at the 4-5 hour mark. i'm playing with msv focus hex and it has a lot of bite. cmpares favorably with the alu rough but keeps its tension much better.

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
12-10-2009, 10:22 PM
MSV Focus Hex will do wonders....in any gauge
It gives loads of power too.

downdaline
12-10-2009, 10:44 PM
For me, the string that has the most bite is Natural Gut. The ball really sinks in the stringbed - really feels like im grabbing it.

ClubHoUno
12-11-2009, 02:46 AM
1.Babolat VS Natty gut 17

2. Signum Pro Tornado 1.17
3. Signum Pro Hyperion 1.18

man-walking
12-11-2009, 08:18 AM
You should take into account that a good string should have some bite in string-to-ball contact but lesser in string-to-string contact.

This difference makes stringbed working very well, because the string can pocket the ball and at same time move a bit dynamically around the stringbed waves (and snap back to its normal position if its coating is smooth enough and the tension is enough).

In fact there are supposed 'spin oriented' strings that have a very biting surface due to a very rough surface, but when this concept creates too much friction both in ball and string-to-string contact then the stringbed can't do a good biting, gripping work, because the stringbed offers a subtle dynamics.

The (smart) goal of some moderns co-polys is to have a biting contact with the ball from low power to high power shots, but while ensuring a smooth string-to-string behaviour of the stringbed where the mains in the hitting point can dynamically move through the crosses.

InsideOut94
12-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Hi,

Can you guys recommend to me a couple of strings that grab the ball the best ?

To grab the ball, Genesis Spin X. Great string, cheap and really durable.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-11-2009, 07:50 PM
MSV Hex Focus 1.10 provides the best bite.

Adam_mtl
12-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Alu Rough works best for me. I hybrid it with Gamma Revelation, a multi that also gives good access to spin I've found.

SuperDuy
12-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Gamma Rough?

TenniseaWilliams
12-11-2009, 10:49 PM
I agree that most of the Gamma strings bite. Big time.

skyzoo
12-12-2009, 05:08 AM
Gamma rough makes your hands bleed when you string it. Worst decision of my young life. When the outer string falls off the string is useless. Good string for an hour. should be illegal if you ask me

rippatennis777
12-12-2009, 07:23 AM

Genesis sucks Mitchell owner of Genesis.

I had bad experience with Hex Focus. Broke in 15 min. On this forum and others forum everyone talks good about Spin X. But maybe you got a bed set or reel. I was going to try Spin X. I hope I will not be disappointed like you.

lenderbender
12-12-2009, 08:03 AM

have you tried the new msv heptatwist?

downs_chris
12-12-2009, 08:10 AM
i'm loving Luxilon Big Banger Ace 18 right now...depending on what frame you have it could be a little stiff -- in my old pure drives, it was a little stiff and caused some wrist/hand pain (that was also the first time i used a poly -- so that could've had something to do with it)...but now in my TGK237.1 -- i hybrid it with gosen og sheep in the crosses -- i love it...

Tdot
12-13-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm an all court player (well, a bit more baseline bashing than approaching the net :D) and I hit the ball pretty hard too.
I've been playing with Topspin cyberflash this past year and to be honest, i'm not entirely happy with it as the ball occasionally sails long on me even at higher tension.

Fedace
12-13-2009, 05:14 PM

How can Natural gut have more bite than a poly ? impossible..

BigT
12-13-2009, 05:32 PM
PolyStar Turbo, almost cuts your fingers when stringing.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-13-2009, 06:19 PM

FAIL. Natural gut provides the least bite.:twisted:

T1000
12-13-2009, 06:30 PM
alu rough
blue gear
babolat natural gut 17g

Fedace
12-14-2009, 06:11 AM
PolyStar Turbo, almost cuts your fingers when stringing.

Are you a Polystar Rep ???? all the strings you like is Polystar.....:)

BigT
12-14-2009, 06:42 AM
Yes. I tested their strings thoroughly and was very pleased with their performance. I have a stringing business in SoCal and also play competitively. My customers were also impressed. So when they asked me to represent them, I agreed.
Don't get me wrong, there are many good strings out there: Topspin, MSV, Signum Pro. But as far as value/performance, PolyStar is tough to beat.

coloskier
12-14-2009, 06:53 AM
How can Natural gut have more bite than a poly ? impossible..

Fedace, it definitely does, but if you hit with heavy topspin, you are lucky if it only lasts about an hour because the stringbed moves so readily. That is why poly was inserted into the game. It was something that could give you good bite, but would last longer than an hour for heavy spin users and the stringbed hardly moved at all. I bet if Nadal played with full gut his strings would last less than 15 minutes.

mawashi
12-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Fedace, it definitely does, but if you hit with heavy topspin, you are lucky if it only lasts about an hour because the stringbed moves so readily. That is why poly was inserted into the game. It was something that could give you good bite, but would last longer than an hour for heavy spin users and the stringbed hardly moved at all. I bet if Nadal played with full gut his strings would last less than 15 minutes.

You need to explain more S L O W L Y to fedfail... b i t e i s d i f f e r e n t t h a n s p i n :lol:!

mawashi

downs_chris
12-14-2009, 08:17 AM
natty gut kind of sails on me...i guess i could try going tighter, but i'm addicted to polys now...

Fedace
12-14-2009, 11:33 AM
You need to explain more S L O W L Y to fedfail... b i t e i s d i f f e r e n t t h a n s p i n :lol:!

mawashi

Go eat some more Goat cheese, it will clear things up for you....

Fedace
12-14-2009, 11:34 AM

Natural gut has little friction and moves. = Not as much topspin as Poly

dragon2o00
12-14-2009, 02:00 PM
has anyone tried kirschbaum spiky shark? that on the "to try" list for me.

Fedace
12-14-2009, 02:37 PM
has anyone tried kirschbaum spiky shark? that on the "to try" list for me.

I tried it. YES it does provide LOTS of bite. but it has little in the department of Feel. I couldn't volley with it so i had to dump it.

dragon2o00
12-14-2009, 02:55 PM
I tried it. YES it does provide LOTS of bite. but it has little in the department of Feel. I couldn't volley with it so i had to dump it.

hmm good to know, thanks. how did the tension hold up? would you consider the feel "plastic-y"? i think that was the biggest complaint for the msv focus hex but i don't necessarily mind that. only think i really care about is spin and tension maintenance.

Fedace
12-14-2009, 03:05 PM
hmm good to know, thanks. how did the tension hold up? would you consider the feel "plastic-y"? i think that was the biggest complaint for the msv focus hex but i don't necessarily mind that. only think i really care about is spin and tension maintenance.

Tension maintain is very good, i thought. and has tons more bite than focus hex. It will add even more topspin to your Kick serve if you have one.

dragon2o00
12-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Tension maintain is very good, i thought. and has tons more bite than focus hex. It will add even more topspin to your Kick serve if you have one.

that sounds sick :twisted:

one of my buds was noting my kick serves were reaching his shoulder/neck (he's 5' 10" ish) with a full bed of the msv.

Fedace
12-14-2009, 03:49 PM
that sounds sick :twisted:

one of my buds was noting my kick serves were reaching his shoulder/neck (he's 5' 10" ish) with a full bed of the msv.

If that is the case then your kick just may Jump over the Green Monster...... but just be aware that at first the string will feel very stiff, much more stiff than the focus hex. but as you break it in for about an hour or so it will feel more softer. but still spiky shark is a stiff poly. but provide sick amount of spin....:)

dragon2o00
12-14-2009, 04:01 PM
If that is the case then your kick just may Jump over the Green Monster...... but just be aware that at first the string will feel very stiff, much more stiff than the focus hex. but as you break it in for about an hour or so it will feel more softer. but still spiky shark is a stiff poly. but provide sick amount of spin....:)

cool, thanks a lot. if you're ever in irvine and wanna hit, let me know.

titan_dsl
12-15-2009, 09:48 AM

I agree, incredible spin. An amazing hexagonal string...

obnoxious2
12-16-2009, 12:25 PM
alu spin and black code are AMAZING. THese 2 strings give you bite and spin like i've never experienced before.

passerofgasses
12-16-2009, 06:00 PM

I think it depends on your stroke. I used to only hit big spin shots, a deep drive would clear the net by 10-15 feet, and natural gut gave me the most spin of anything by far. Now that I'm hitting flat shots too, I find Pro Supex Blue Gear 17 to have a lot of bite , and it also bites the cross fairly hard to remain in place and maintain good control.

I think if someone's looking for proper spin, looking at bite to give them what they want is going after the wrong thing. Spin is almost all about the stroke (I can get decent spin with even 15L nylon). However, if they're looking for that little bit of edge that maybe sometimes gives them a couple more inches of drop, or more importantly that bit of psychological confidence, then by all means, search for that perfect bite string. I agree it does make a difference, but a comparatively small one. Don't let the search distract you from developing that windshield.

As for gut not biting the ball, maybe, maybe not, but it sure bites itself when stringing crosses, maybe more than anything else.

Adam_mtl
12-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Alu Rough hands down.

jcstennis
12-17-2009, 03:55 AM

can you elaborate please... you may want to rethink or research your answer...

not saying your wrong, your experiences are your experiences...

:)

alidisperanza
12-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Spiky shark has bite/spin potential but it also doesn't slide like most polys. In a full job it's ok but use anything softer with it and it will lock up the string bed. Initially it feels a bit stiff/ plastic-y as you said but it does give in after about 30 mins-1hr of play (like Fed said)

Alu Rough is a great string- Bit on the expensive side for polys.
MSV Hex/ Black code- Similar play characteristics.
Gamma Rough- Tip your stringer =/

There's been some pretty good feedback on the forums about Signum Tornado and Weisscannon TurboTwist as well. The concept certainly seems viable (although, we all know how accurate "Concepts" can be...)

Among my favorite combinations are hybriding MSV or Black code with Natural gut in the crosses. Best of luck!

bee
12-17-2009, 05:33 PM
How about Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 17? I just got back from hitting with that in the mains and Klip Legend natural gut 17 in the crosses (both at 55#) and it felt pretty good.
Not the ultimate bite, good and it didn't feel overly harsh. Any comments?

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-18-2009, 10:39 AM
How about Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 17? I just got back from hitting with that in the mains and Klip Legend natural gut 17 in the crosses (both at 55#) and it felt pretty good.
Not the ultimate bite, good and it didn't feel overly harsh. Any comments?

Look at the cutaway of the Hurricane on Stringforum.net done by the site creator and you will see that string is almost totally round. There is much better bite available.

If you like it use it by all means.

alidisperanza
12-18-2009, 10:22 PM
PHT isn't horrible. Hybrided with gut it actually has a pretty pleasant feel. IMO there are better strings out there for the price range. I also think that the section cut may have been a dud. The shaping is noticable to the touch. Granted, It's no black code or MSV but it's there.