PDA

View Full Version : Who should win the match?

cxw0106
12-10-2009, 01:01 PM
I played an indoor club league match with a guy. First 2 sets was 1:1. Since the court time was almost up. I asked him if he wanted to play a 3rd set or to play a 10 point match tiebreaker. He said he wanted to play a 10 point match tiebreaker. During the tiebreaker, he was leading 9-7 with 2 match points, but I finally came back and won the tiebreaker 11-9.

After we shaked hands, he somehow pulled out a flyer of rules that is attached to our league schedule. He pointed out that according the rules, we should've played the 7 point tiebreaker. He argued that since he was leading 9-7, he should be the winner. Of course, I disagreed with him. After argueing back and forth, I finally offered him a rematch of the 7 point tiebreaker, he agreed. So we played another tiebreaker, and I won 8-6.

We shaked hands again and it seems that he conceded his loss. However, to my amazement, he went quickly to the front desk and reported that he won the match.

This is the most funny experience I had. What do you guys think?

raiden031
12-10-2009, 01:04 PM
I played an indoor club league match with a guy. First 2 sets was 1:1. Since the court time was almost up. I asked him if he wanted to play a 3rd set or to play a 10 point match tiebreaker. He said he wanted to play a 10 point match tiebreaker. During the tiebreaker, he was leading 9-7 with 2 match points, but I finally came back and won the tiebreaker 11-9.

After we shaked hands, he somehow pulled out a flyer of rules that is attached to our league schedule. He pointed out that according the rules, we should've played the 7 point tiebreaker. He argued that since he was leading 9-7, he should be the winner. Of course, I disagreed with him. After argueing back and forth, I finally offered him a rematch of the 7 point tiebreaker, he agreed. So we played another tiebreaker, and I won 8-6.

We shaked hands again and it seems that he conceded his loss. However, to my amazement, he went quickly to the front desk and reported that he won the match.

100% you won. Any match played in good faith stands, even if both parties didn't know the rules at the time and inadvertently broke them.

PatrickB
12-10-2009, 01:39 PM
In addition, A Friend At Court explicitly states that shaking hands at the end of the match is an acknowledgment of the outcome of the match; once he shook your hand at the end of the match the first time, you had won, the match was over, and he had no basis to complain.

JavierLW
12-10-2009, 02:43 PM

You won the match (twice actually.....).

How much prize money did this guy get?

Definitely dont get into any business venture with this guy!

Cindysphinx
12-10-2009, 05:38 PM
He is a cheater. That's pretty much it.

jmnk
12-10-2009, 07:25 PM
where the heck do you find guys like that? Obviously someone like that must have had other issues earlier - why would you invite him to play in the league?

Lame_Backhand
12-11-2009, 05:19 AM
I asked him if he wanted to play a 3rd set or to play a 10 point match tiebreaker. He said he wanted to play a 10 point match tiebreaker. During the tiebreaker, he was leading 9-7 with 2 match points, but I finally came back and won the tiebreaker 11-9.

I think this is the key statement. If he had any doubts of whether a 7 or 10 point tiebreaker was to be played, and knew he had a copy of the league rules, he should have reviewed the rules prior to agreeing to play the 10 point tiebreaker, and as others have mentioned, then shaking hands with you at the net after you won the 10 pointer 11-9, thereby accepting the loss........

You should win this match....

larry10s
12-11-2009, 07:52 AM
its your match. i would report HIM!!!!

Ripper014
12-11-2009, 10:07 AM
To me it would not matter what the rules were... the two of you had agreed to a 10 point tiebreaker to finalize the match.

Any new information would be used for future matches, but since he did have a copy of the rules he should have confirmed it before accepting an agreement to decide it on the 10 point tiebreaker if he is going to make an issue of it.