PDA

View Full Version : Full Synthetic Gut Stringbed..

THESEXPISTOL
12-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Is someone still using it?
I'm thinking about stick with a 1.30 (16) tecnifibre pearl to serve and volley...
It's cheap and confortable.. The durability is not a issue as i'm not an usuall stringbreaker.

uofmrocky
12-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Thats all i've ever used. I've been playing since I was 12 and I'm 30 now. I have strung my racquets with only Synthetic Gut 16g. I wouldn't know what it feels like to play with anything else. I love the playability and the feel you get with it. I string my own racquets so it does help with the pricing of strings.

mikeler
12-10-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm back using Gamma synthetic gut 16 now. Just bought some 15 to test how much more durable it is. It is cheap and easy on my arm.

THESEXPISTOL
12-11-2009, 05:48 AM
How is the tension maintaince of a synthetic gut when compared to polys?

mikeler
12-11-2009, 05:56 AM
Check out this link and sort by column 5, tension loss:

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html

jefferson
12-11-2009, 06:18 AM
I think the tension loss is better with syn. But that is because they break before they can lose tension! I love the feel of syn gut, but they might last 5 hours. Even though I string my own rackets, this is just too often. I went to a poly years ago and havent gone back. well that is not true, I did go back for about a month but it was just not worth it!

coyfish
12-11-2009, 06:19 AM
I have 3 rackets and I have one of them strung with full syn gut. Just incase my arm is hurting one day or I wan't more power.

Honestly though I don't like it too much. I use live wire and it has a lot of pop. Uncontrollable many times because the strings move so much. After every point you need to re-adjust.

Aside from that it has good power, great feel, and unmatched comfort.

Unfortunately full syn guts don't even last me 2 tennis sessions.

matchmaker
12-11-2009, 07:26 AM
I am using syn gut for the moment and have to say there are many advantages to it, such as:

-predictability, as the sting is made of the same material I have the impression I get a more uniform reaction with it than with a multi.

-less string movement than a multi it appears to me.

Maybe on the side of the disadvantages compared to a poly:

- durability

But comparing to a multi, would bring up syn guts at least at the same durability, if not better. You also don't have the notching, the string just thins out.

The_Question
12-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Still using Gosen Super JC and Babolat Super Fine Play, sometimes I prefer them in certain racquets...

THESEXPISTOL
12-11-2009, 11:10 AM
What's the more durable syngut?

Tecnifibre or PSGD?

mikeler
12-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Can't speak for Technifibre, but PSGD is slightly more durable than Gamma in the 16 gauge.

The_Question
12-11-2009, 12:11 PM
What's the more durable syngut?

Tecnifibre or PSGD?

I tried both, Prince last a little bit longer than Tecnifibre. It also feels a little bit softer than Prince...

cigrmaster
12-11-2009, 12:26 PM
I've tried a few of these now and have come to the conclusion, they just have way too much power. Even stringing them at 63 pounds I have a lot of trouble keeping it in play.

The only reason I tried them was because my shoulder hurt from the Luxillon, I am now trying a co-poly and a poly syn hybrid. I am hoping one of these two will be the right set up.

The_Question
12-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Then use Prince Original Syn Gut @ 80lbs...

brownbearfalling
12-11-2009, 01:20 PM
There is a huge society of people using full synthetic gut. All the people that buy racquets from local tennis stores and never break their strings all use the free full synthetic string that they get with the racquet even though it is crappy like dunlop synthetic. Also there are a few d1 college players that i've seen use full synthetic.

But again, if you've never tried the different types of strings, it is worth a try.

Skabeast121
12-11-2009, 02:32 PM
A few weeks ago I ran out of my usual string Laserfibre SuperNatural Gut Prostock, and since they no longer make it I began my search for a new string. I was considering another multi but they are very expensive for little durability and college costs enough already. My schools singles one player recently got me addicted to synthetic gut. I have tried a few, Prince duraflex which was good but had little durability, Technifibre was the same story, Gamma just sucked, and Wilson Super Spin (which he uses) which had the most durability. I am currently using Wilson super spin it lasts me much longer than any of the other synthetic guts and has a little extra spin. Alas I'm still trying to find that permanent replacement to Laserfibre supernatural

THESEXPISTOL
12-11-2009, 06:03 PM
The difference between 15 and 16 is so dramatic in terms of durability?

mikeler
12-11-2009, 06:14 PM
The difference between 15 and 16 is so dramatic in terms of durability?

If my elbow ever heals, I'm trying Gamma synthetic gut 15L next. The last 15 gauge I used was Prince Topspin. It did not make it 2 matches.

PBODY99
12-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Your style of play makes a huge difference in what type of string you use. for non-string breakers SG will give better playability and comfort. If you look at classic matches from the 197s and 1980's, Natural gut was what the Pros used, mainly. with the rise of 95 sq in & up frames, you see the use of Kevlar and poly grow.

Skabeast121
12-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Some people just use synthetic gut because of the way the string plays, I mean this is prolly the case in people above a 4.0-4.5 level because at that point string breaking is pretty much guaranteed after 2-3 days of solid play

THESEXPISTOL
12-12-2009, 10:54 AM
My game is S&V and sometimes from the baseline with pretty flat strokes and sometimes some topspin to open angles easilly but nothing too spinny.. I just want touch and feel and the extra power from syngut is welcome.

If a strinjob lasts 10-12 hours i will stick with hit..