PDA

View Full Version : What Type of Weight Training/Conditioning Do You Guys Do?

UW_Husky88
12-10-2009, 06:07 PM
For me, I've found doing very low rep/high weight training using compound only exercises coupled with various forms of HIIT and a bit of ab work (although I get enough of an ab workout from heavy deads and squats) is pretty decent for tennis. I only lift a couple of times a week since I do very taxing lifting (4x4), and do conditioning the rest of the time. I also make sure I don't eat like a pig so that I don't get bulky.

What about you guys?

dlk
12-11-2009, 03:17 AM
Here's mine: Lift weights 4 days a-week (rotating every other day between chest/ticeps, back/biceps, shoulders legs, w/core & abs every session); the non-lifting days (i.e., 3 days a week) I bike one hour one sesssion, nordic track one hour one session, run 3-5miles the other session. I hit each muscle group w/3 sets of varying exercises each. Play tennis in winter season 1-2 times per week. I can tell my athleticism overcomes many a superior player from experience & technical standpoint. I can run down many shots forcing opponent into unforced errors & my shots are usually harder (e.g., my opponent hits a sharp short 1HBH w/acute backspin, I run this down for a passing shot). I know many a player walks away losing thinking "I know I'm better than this guy." They're just not in as good a shape. Now of course, I'm talking about older folks, I jump in there w/20y/o & get smoked when they've been playing for 10+years.

12-11-2009, 04:32 AM
I lift 3 x week for 1 hr: mix of free weights and circuit machines mostly to burn fat, build some muscle and stay lean. Lots of squats, deadlifts, dumbell shoulder presses, pec machine flys, bench presses, pull downs, some biceps (vanity), plus warm-up and post-lifting cardio. I try to do a full body workout each time. No interest in bulking up/getting big. I used to to cardio-only until I tried weights - Glad I did - has made such a big difference. I use creatine mono + protein powder + BCAA's afterwards. In summer I play 6 hrs tennis/week. In winter only 2-4.

Tennis_Monk
12-12-2009, 07:30 PM
I run 2.5 miles a day atleast 5 times a week. Along with running i do light resistance training.

I used to do heavy weights, squats and all but basically what i realized is that more weights i do, the less flexible my muscles are my serve & forehand goes off for a toss. I stop doing weights for a week or two and things start working normally again. weird but it happens and now i found a happy medium. I keep my resistance training mostly to maintain muscle mass.

i dont do any movement drills or etc. My movement is pretty good in the sense that i track down shots very well.

plumcrazy
12-13-2009, 08:21 AM
Went from heavy weights/low reps (6-8 reps) to lighter weights/higher reps (15 reps). I try to lift faster but also controlled so I can work on the fast twitch muscles and it also gets my heart pumping. I lift 3 days a week. Five exercises each workout. I go from one exercise to the next with no rest until each circuit is done. It's worked good for me!

onehandbh
12-13-2009, 01:12 PM
When usually go to the gym 1x week. Also do yoga about
1x every other week. Sometimes 1x a week.

If I have a larger block of time, I almost always try to play
tennis instead of working out. When I go to the gym I usually
am there for about 45min to 1hr and just do a little bit
of everything:
bench press, chinups, squats, rotator cuff exercises and maybe
some rows and stretching.

I've been trying various yoga classes:
ashtanga (sp?), kundalini, hatha, and last week I went to
a bikram yoga class for the first time... Thought I was
going to pass out after the first 30 minutes. Brutally
hot. If you are self conscious, this probably isn't the class
for you b/c it's so damn hot and people strip down to
minimal amounts of clothing.

se0what
12-13-2009, 01:17 PM
i learn a good excersice for and open stance forehand
open you arm out wide horizontally and and have you feet apart more than your shoulder width but not the splits
then go from one side to another turning your hips from side to side while "lunging" ( i say "lunging" because you never move your feet just pivot
make sure to go down from side to side
Down-Up (somewhat)- down

i found out this could be helpful for the high balls i hit open stance in

TheFuture101
12-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Will be doing http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/brent2.htm but am incorperating footwork drills and sprints into it.