PDA

View Full Version : if a ball "breaks"...

NadalFan1990
12-10-2009, 06:22 PM
I just smacked a serve over the net and, when the returners shot was hit with a good swing, not hitting any frame at all, and the ball just inched over the net and died, I went to check the ball. there was a cut in the rubber of the ball (the pink portion) and I tried squeezing the ball to check the pressure and the ball had no more air left.

What am I supposed to do in this situation?

all I did was give my opponent the point, throw the ball away, and continue play with the next point.

PatrickB
12-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Play a let for that point.

dlk
12-10-2009, 06:44 PM
I believe you did the right thing.

10sguy
12-10-2009, 11:29 PM
I just smacked a serve over the net and, when the returners shot was hit with a good swing, not hitting any frame at all, and the ball just inched over the net and died, I went to check the ball. there was a cut in the rubber of the ball (the pink portion) and I tried squeezing the ball to check the pressure and the ball had no more air left.

What am I supposed to do in this situation?

all I did was give my opponent the point, throw the ball away, and continue play with the next point.

Tennis rules say if the ball is "broken," replay the point (play a let). If the ball has only become "soft," the point stands as played.

sphinx780
12-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Yup, a let is in order but there's nothing wrong with being overly fair and giving the point when you're unsure.

r2473
12-11-2009, 08:38 AM
if a ball "breaks"...

.....the cradle will fall
And down will come baby, cradle and all.

woodrow1029
12-11-2009, 08:54 AM
I believe you did the right thing.
You're a bit out there as far as the rules go.