PDA

View Full Version : Lowering the tension on a copoly

tennisINmyBLOOD
12-10-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm a doubles varsity player in high school currently looking for new string. I have my own machine now and am just learning to string. Currently using a Babolat Pure Drive GT strung with Gamma Live Wire XP 17 at 60 lbs (which will be cut out as soon as I find new string!). I use moderate spin on my groundstrokes. I like the string, but I think it's a little too crisp for my liking and prefer Live Wire Original. Also, I find that it is very difficult to generate spin with these strings. I have a history of shoulder problems, but that seems to be going away.

Recently, I picked up a friend's racquet (Head Flexpoint... not sure of the model though) that was strung with poly at 55 lbs. The string wasn't branded, and he wasn't sure what string that was (it was his back up racquet). When I hit with it, I could NOT believe it was poly! It felt relatively soft, but I could definitely tell it was a poly because there was no string movement and no string notching. However, the strings were loose, which probably explains the comfort I found from it. The topspin in my shots were very noticeable compared to my setup of Live Wire XP at 60.

Unfortunately, I do not know the string's name and neither does anybody else. Since I enjoyed my first experience with poly so much, I was looking into softer 17 or 18 gauge copolys to string on the mains at a low tension... say 55 lbs. On the crosses, I plan to use a multifilament at 57 lbs or so, depending on how much control I need. Having a history of shoulder problems, do you think this would be a good choice for me? I realize that my racquet is very stiff as it is and poly would blow my arm away, but I was wondering if lowering the tension on a softer poly would help? Maybe I should just stick to a multi/synthetic gut hybrid as other users have suggested to me?

I'm thinking Pro Hurricane 18 or Tecnifibre Promix 17 on the mains at the moment and perhaps Isospeed Professional on the crosses. Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated.

downdaline
12-10-2009, 10:50 PM
I hope you mean Pro Hurricane and not the Tour version, as it's very stiff, no matter what tension you string it at.

Anyway, how long was your friend playing with that stick? He may have strung it at first at 55lbs and then 1 month later, when u hit with it, it may have dropped to 48lbs.

Frankly, I would suggest keeping your crosses at 60lbs, and stringing your copoly mains at 55lbs, so that when the tension in the poly drops, the tension in ur multi mains wont drop too much. This will at least stop the overall tension from dropping too much.

If you have shoulder problems, you may want to experiment with the copoly in the crosses and the softer string in the mains for comfort.

Hope this helps.

ogruskie
12-10-2009, 10:54 PM
You can string most polys at low tensions and still retain a lot of control. I suggest trying your first full poly set-up at mid tension, so I'm assuming 55lbs? Depending on how you like it, go from there.

With hybrids, can't help ya. I string my poly/multi hybrids at the same tension all around, and it works for me.

Dgpsx7
12-10-2009, 10:55 PM
It sounds like you would like MSV Hex 1.10. I have tried it at both high a mid tension. It is without a doubt my favorite string.

Prince String Master
12-11-2009, 05:29 AM
I agree with lowering your tension and using a co-extruded poly versus a mono. I would use a Hybrid with a multifilament in the cross. I recomend you try Hybrid Power EXP with is a co-extruded (copoly) the has 50% less shock than ALU and Premier LT (Multifilament Cross)
Compared to what was recomended above this will be much easier on your shoulder!

joe sch
12-11-2009, 06:29 AM
It sounds like you would like MSV Hex 1.10. I have tried it at both high a mid tension. It is without a doubt my favorite string.

I concur. Great string once you get used the different ping it makes and the sorta plastic kinda feel. Try low tension like 50..55 and you may really enjoy the ripping spinning capability.

tennisINmyBLOOD
12-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the responses!

I'm looking at the original Pro Hurricane. Also, does anyone have an experience with Tecnifibre Promix at lower tensions? How is the comfort level?

I have heard lots of good things about MSV Focus Hex, but was wondering about the level of comfort at low tensions. Is softer than other polys you've tried? Comfort is the number one thing I look for in copolys, then spin.