PDA

View Full Version : No Tennis Elbow with Big Banger Original, Should I try Alu Rough?

beckham
12-11-2009, 05:41 AM
I've been using BBO 16 strung at 58-59 lbs for two years now. I enjoy using this string and have no arm/wrist issues at all.
I am a bit tentative however to try Alu Rough. In your opinion, do you think it would be alright?
Also, if you have playability comments or concerns, that would be great to.

Thanks!

-B

JoelDali
12-11-2009, 06:49 AM
Do it. Do it NOW.

:)

ihearit1st
12-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Why are you wanting to change? If the BB is working, stick with it.

glenayr
12-11-2009, 08:26 AM
been using alu rough for a few years with no arm trouble. i use it in crosses with gut in mains at 60lbs. i say give it a try and enjoy the extra "bite" and see if you have any issues.

The_Question
12-11-2009, 09:13 AM
I don't see why not, but I feel the Alu Power is overrated...

lawlitssoo1n
12-11-2009, 09:29 AM
why don't you try bbo rough?

beckham
12-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Why are you wanting to change? If the BB is working, stick with it.

Its not that I want or have to change.
I just have the opertunity to try it and was wondering if I should.
Thanks for your concern though!

beckham
12-11-2009, 12:59 PM
why don't you try bbo rough?

Its a good suggestion, but I don't think my stringer has it.
I could get it from TW though.
Thanks!

beckham
12-11-2009, 01:01 PM

Many people believe its overrated.
I've never used it, but I like BBO, so I assume it should be good.
Do you have another suggestion, what do you prefer?
Thanks for the comments!

beckham
12-11-2009, 01:02 PM
been using alu rough for a few years with no arm trouble. i use it in crosses with gut in mains at 60lbs. i say give it a try and enjoy the extra "bite" and see if you have any issues.

I'm not a hybrid guy but I know thats a popular combination.
I look for durability and playability, guts also not in the price range,
as I'm in high school and unemployed. Before I die I guess.
Thanks!

beckham
12-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks for your comments guys!

davidahenry
12-11-2009, 06:29 PM

I believe otherwise. I feel freshly strung Alu Power and Alu Power Rough are the best polys out there - from a playability standpoint.

OP - Since you have the opportunity, give it a try and form your own opinion.

Take care.

DH

2ndserveace
12-12-2009, 05:13 AM
I use BBO in my PDR and it plays incredibly well. IMO it plays better than Alu Rough because it is a little less powerful and has a little better spin potential. It also lasts much, much longer. Alu Rough lasted me 2 hours of playing time the last few times I used it, and BBO lasts too long to keep track of. It still plays well when its dead, too. However, I still look forward to trying Alu Rough in my PDR just for that incredible feel and playability of fresh Alu. In the end it comes down to if you really want to pay extra for something that only performs well for a couple of hours.

stanfordtennis alum
12-12-2009, 06:13 AM
I would go ahead and give it a shot... worst thing that can happen is that you cut it out after a few hours

beckham
12-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the impute guys. Greatly appreciated!

pow
12-12-2009, 03:17 PM
I think Original is stiffer than ALU Rough so you shouldn't have trouble in terms of tennis elbow. Just give it a try, the worst that could happen is you cut it out if you don't like it.

PED
12-12-2009, 03:40 PM
It also lasts much, much longer. Alu Rough lasted me 2 hours of playing time the last few times I used it, and BBO lasts too long to keep track of. It still plays well when its dead, too. However, I still look forward to trying Alu Rough in my PDR just for that incredible feel and playability of fresh Alu. In the end it comes down to if you really want to pay extra for something that only performs well for a couple of hours.

This pretty much sums it all up. ALU is great.....for those first few hours as David says above but then I think BBO plays better longer.

beckham
12-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks PED!

beckham
12-12-2009, 04:53 PM
I was thinking of a hybrid:
BBO16 and ALU power/rough.

Anyone have experience with this?
What to put in mains/crosses?
Tensions for tension maintenance?

I usually string BBO at 58-59lbs

Thanks!

aimr75
12-12-2009, 05:29 PM
I think Original is stiffer than ALU Rough so you shouldn't have trouble in terms of tennis elbow. Just give it a try, the worst that could happen is you cut it out if you don't like it.

I found this to be the opposite, ALU rough felt more stiff then BBO for me

PED
12-12-2009, 05:42 PM
I found this to be the opposite, ALU rough felt more stiff then BBO for me

I think it could go either way: according to the official usra numbers, there's not much between them stiffness wise: BBO measures 249 and ALU is 242.

The playing characteristics and sound of alu on contact might actually "seem" stiffer-it almost has a metallic feel and sound to it when you really get after it .

I still remember my first hit with full ALU in a Bab pure control......you never forget your first time :)

Looking at the stiffness rankings, I saw that the Sonic Pro I just installed only has a stiffness of 199. That is going to feel like NRG compared to BBO.

JoelDali
12-12-2009, 05:46 PM
ALU Rough is way, way, WAY softer than BBO.

The OP should give a full bed a try and report back.

A hybrid of BBO and ALU is not an ideal setup, it could be done but just do a full bed of ALU Rough.

If you like BBO you will love rough.

aimr75
12-12-2009, 05:57 PM
I think it could go either way: according to the official usra numbers, there's not much between them stiffness wise: BBO measures 249 and ALU is 242.

The playing characteristics and sound of alu on contact might actually "seem" stiffer-it almost has a metallic feel and sound to it when you really get after it .

I still remember my first hit with full ALU in a Bab pure control......you never forget your first time :)

Looking at the stiffness rankings, I saw that the Sonic Pro I just installed only has a stiffness of 199. That is going to feel like NRG compared to BBO.

its more a harshness i felt on the arm.. i think i strung them at the same tension, cant recall, but BBO felt softer to me in so much as i didnt feel any issue on the arm compared to rough

PED
12-13-2009, 01:51 PM
its more a harshness i felt on the arm.. i think i strung them at the same tension, cant recall, but BBO felt softer to me in so much as i didnt feel any issue on the arm compared to rough

I also wonder if part of it was head size, don't you use a mid size? That 1.28mm would be like a board in a mid - no matter how low the tension is.

ALU does have a tremendous of amount of elasticity-very springy.

beckham
12-13-2009, 02:24 PM
I've heard ALU doesn't have good tension maintenance.
Can anyone attest to this?
TM is important to me as I don't restring constantly.
Thanks!

aimr75
12-13-2009, 02:51 PM
I also wonder if part of it was head size, don't you use a mid size? That 1.28mm would be like a board in a mid - no matter how low the tension is.

ALU does have a tremendous of amount of elasticity-very springy.

Yeah i use the prestige mid.. ive used both BBO and ALU rough in the mid.. what i found was ALU rough felt harsh for one hitting session, then felt fine there after.. BBO felt like it didnt require a break in time..

My experience seems like its a bit out of the ordinary

I know i strung the ALU rough at 50/48 and i think i did the same for BBO.. certainly no less

arche3
12-14-2009, 03:24 AM
I've heard ALU doesn't have good tension maintenance.
Can anyone attest to this?
TM is important to me as I don't restring constantly.
Thanks!

I can attest that ALU (spin) changes in tension and string bed feel very quickly. For me I get approx 15 hours on the string before I restring usually. At 20 it is noticeably harsher on my arm even though the tension drops a lot. Something about the string does this. I don't know why? But the first 10 hours are awesome for me. I can't miss.