PDA

View Full Version : Copoly Crosses: Go Dead As Fast As When In Mains?

edman9898
12-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Just what it says. Do poly crosses go dead as fast as when they are put in mains? If not, how long will they last in the mains? Just switched to natural gut crosses, and am thinking about putting poly's in the crosses. I am currently using Wilson Sensation.

Love50
12-11-2009, 11:46 AM
IMO, there is no difference in terms of when a poly "dies" relative to whether they are installed as a full stringjob, as mains, or as crosses. In the case of crosses, you can probably continue playing if the resulting feel (which has changed a bit) is acceptable to you. Dunno about poly mains, I don't use that combination.

ClubHoUno
12-11-2009, 05:02 PM
I would say that they die equally fast, whether they are in the mains or in the crosses - but I definitely feel the poly dies faster, when in a hybrid with poly in the mains compared to a hybrid with poly in the crosses.

I hybrid natty gut with a good copoly with great tension and elasticity maintenance in the crosses and if I ever once in a while get to play this hybrid for more than 15 hours, I still olike how it feels - proably AFTER the CoPoly has started to die, because it mutes the lively gut in the mains.

When I played with the reverse hybrid, I didn't like how it felt, when the poly started to die.

edman9898
12-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks guys. I think I will try the poly in the crosses w/natural gut mains.

PBODY99
12-11-2009, 09:46 PM
I've found that the mains give the majority of the feel of a string bed. The poly in a cross lets me lower the power of the mains without using a higher tension. I do not notice the strings dying suddenly when I use this combo.