PDA

View Full Version : Natural Gut Causing Flyers?

edman9898
12-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Just started using natural gut in the mains and have noticed I get more flyers. Is this because of the natural gut or me switching from a 16x19 to a 18x20? I did notice I hit fewer of them toward the end of my hitting session.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-11-2009, 10:17 AM
The string pattern change should give you more control. The gut is just very powerful and should be strung higher than poly based strings.

lawlitssoo1n
12-11-2009, 10:27 AM
18x20 is a more dense string pattern than a 16x19 and there is less powerful, so there shouldn't be a reason for that. it's probably your strokes technique, got sloppy towards the end of ur session

JavierLW
12-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Just started using natural gut in the mains and have noticed I get more flyers. Is this because of the natural gut or me switching from a 16x19 to a 18x20? I did notice I hit fewer of them toward the end of my hitting session.

You might of strung it too low.

Or what you're noticing is just a sort of mental feedback effect.

I have it all the time with Gut when I stop using it for a time, it's very quiet and soft, so the tendency is to swing faster. I usually have one bad day of tennis and then for whatever reason the next time I go out all is fine. (or sometimes I adjust as I play)

It seems to work better when you accelerate thru the ball smoothly as well, rather then just using flat rapid fire non-smooth strokes. The ball stays on the strings longer that way and you get more spin, otherwise it pretty much just acts like a trampoline.

sciwriter
12-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Yeah, don't accelerate racket through the stroke. Keep it steady and smooth and allow the strings to grab the ball.

edman9898
12-11-2009, 08:32 PM
it's probably your strokes technique, got sloppy towards the end of ur session

I actually had less flyers towards the end of my session. Maybe I was just getting a sense of feel for the gut towards the end. I think I will try it a few lbs higher next time.

edman9898
12-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Yeah, don't accelerate racket through the stroke. Keep it steady and smooth and allow the strings to grab the ball.

I thought you were supposed to accelerate thru your strokes to get spin. I have no problems at all hitting lots of topspin which is why I switched to an 18x20. So you're telling me with gut to not accelerate?

JavierLW
12-11-2009, 08:46 PM
I thought you were supposed to accelerate thru your strokes to get spin. I have no problems at all hitting lots of topspin which is why I switched to an 18x20. So you're telling me with gut to not accelerate?

Maybe he misunderstands what accelerate means.

I use gut and I accelerate thru the contact point all the time.

What I dont think you can do is have a quick rapid jerky swing because the ball wont stay on the strings long enough to do anything but get trampolined off.

Which is what I think happens when people tend to swing faster then they are used to. (which may happen just from the lack of sound, and the absence of the shock that they are used feeling from impact)

It sounds to me that you adjusted during your session and that's normal.

It's pretty common otherwise that people try different things that they are not used to it, and rather then give it time, they blame it on whatever it is they are doing.

PBODY99
12-11-2009, 10:42 PM
It takes time to adjust to the "feel" of natural gut. Towards the end of the hitting session, I would bet that you started to let the string bed do the work, rather than trying to "muscle" the ball.
very high tensions are not the rote answer for control problem, a relaxed swing is. Notice Pistol Pete, very heavy frame very high tension in his prime never looked like he was working hard with the stroke, even if he was pouring sweat.
Enjoy you hits, gut does spoil people.

Spinnersrock
12-12-2009, 02:07 PM

Could have been your hitting partner throwing heat at you or insane topspin - yeah, I bet it was one of those! :)

edman9898
12-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Could have been your hitting partner throwing heat at you or insane topspin - yeah, I bet it was one of those! :)
Bahahahaha. Spinnersrock, you couldn't hit yourself out of a wet paper bag!It was probably all of those candyass slices you were hitting me. And if i remember correctly, the score was 6-0, 6-1 in my favor. :oops:

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
12-12-2009, 07:05 PM
So does natural gut require a certain way to hit the ball?
I've always used poly's so im used to knocking the felt off the ball

sciwriter
12-12-2009, 07:30 PM
When I see club players hitting successfully with heavy topspin they're not hitting with gut, they hitting with Luxilon or some other poly. My own experience with gut is to swing smoothly and allow the strings to grab the ball, but I hit relatively flat. But my own knowledge of all this is pretty limited -- just what I see at my own club.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
12-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Its just not polys. My friend has a midsize frame and hits with more spin when hes using xcel power rather than PHT.

ClubHoUno
12-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Its just not polys. My friend has a midsize frame and hits with more spin when hes using xcel power rather than PHT.

Same gauge Xcel Power and PHT ?

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
12-13-2009, 05:35 AM
yes.
he uses a POG mid