PDA

View Full Version : stringing kps88 on gamma x-2

dragon2o00
12-11-2009, 01:41 PM
wanted to get some input on the TT community.

i'm stringing a kps88 on my gamma x-2 (with standard plastic clamps). the size of the clamps make clamping the very bottom cross impossible due to the size of the frame. it's to the point where i'd need to clamp the 2nd to last cross to the third to last cross, and simply tie off the bottom string. i tension the last string, even a little more than expected, but i doubt this does anything because i still need to un-tension to tie it.

naturally, by the time i tie my knot, the very bottom one is much looser than the other crosses. is there something i'm doing wrong? is this something better clamps can solve? or, and i hope this is the answer, does this have minimal impact on the overall quality/tension durability of the stringing bed?

thanks guys.

brownbearfalling
12-11-2009, 02:42 PM
You shouldn't leave the last cross un tightened. It will mess up the tension for the rest of the racquet. If it is not your racquet, it is better to give it back to the person and say you cannot string it. A loose string is a huge annoyance. But as for your problem buy one of these:

http://www.klipperusa.com/products/productdetail.php?catnum=A330

they are thinner and work pretty well.

topanlego
12-11-2009, 02:56 PM
I have the same problem with may Wilson racquets.

What I do is clamp only the tensioned string and put a spare string in the other side of the clamp so that the clamp is holding 2 strings. Then when you release tension, the mains will hold the tension for you. I do it all the time and there's nothing wrong with doing it that way. You will retain much of the tension pulled this way. You can always increase the tension on the last cross to make up for some tension loss.

dragon2o00
12-11-2009, 04:58 PM
thanks for the advice guys and yes, they're my own kps's.

topanlego, so you clamp where the string goes through the last hole with another string, start the knot, unclamp, and tighten?

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-11-2009, 07:43 PM
You are losing alot of tension by doing this. I suggest calling Gamma or where you bought your machine on how to remedy this problem. In addition, many professional stringers add 8 to 10 pounds on every tie off to make up for the tension lost on the knots. Plus they use an constant pull stringing machine which strings up to 10 percent tighter than a lock out machine.

So in other words if a pro strung your racquet at 60 pounds it would be very close to 60 pounds. With your method your stringbed tension might be as low as 45 pounds.