PDA

View Full Version : hitting over the ball

salsainglesa
12-11-2009, 12:56 PM
When i read a thread about short low bouncing balls putaways, I gave the idea of hitting the shot from a self fed ball at mid court, focusing on giving the necesary pace and spin for this shot to be effective...

Afterwards, i got my raquet stringed really badly, and I was stuck playing in a tournament, with the tension almost 20 lbs below what i am used at playing with, usually 63 lbs, and it was strung at 44.

I started hitting all the balls, as if they were short balls where i dont hit through the ball, but over it. Because of the extra power, all i could do was concentrate on putting spin on the ball.

The thing is, whenever I hit a ball below the net level AND falling, i still hit it over it and the ball would go in an upwards trajectory. The raquet head was closed, and my swings were fast.

Maybe its my own perception of things, and the raquet was square, but it definitely wasnt open. Why does it go up?

olliess
12-11-2009, 01:08 PM
I think even if you could manage to hit a paceless ball with only the barest of "brushing" strokes, I image a little bit of your momentum would still go into raising the ball (not just spinning it).

In this case, the deflection of the ball off your strings probably just made it a lot more noticeable (pocketing the ball more deeply + more springy rebound of the incoming pace).

That's my $0.02 anyhow. :)

user92626
12-11-2009, 03:22 PM
"The thing is, whenever I hit a ball below the net level AND falling, i still hit it over it and the ball would go in an upwards trajectory. The raquet head was closed, and my swings were fast."

That means you're good to go, right? Shots hit that way, when they go in and never mind the trajectory, are usually loaded with extreme topspin. They are going to kick up and forward so much that your opponents are gonna hate you. So, if you can keep it up in term of worthwhile consistence, keep going I guess.

salsainglesa
12-11-2009, 04:54 PM
hehehe i wasnt complaining or anything, and it actually is a good tactic specially as i get closer to the net... but i would like to understand how this happens...

i believe its because during the time the ball is in contact with the strings, it doesnt only gives the topsin but also alters the trajectory like if you were on a rocket to the sky....
the ball is a passenger in the strings for a fraction of a second...

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-11-2009, 06:22 PM
If you are usually playing 63 pounds. You know where your ball is going to land when hitting a forehand. For every pound in tension you reduce. Your shot will go maybe 2 feet farther. I always have two racquets string up especially at a match in case one of the string jobs is off.

user92626
12-11-2009, 08:38 PM
but i would like to understand how this happens...

I'm tempted to try to explain it to you in layman terms, but I better not :) Frankly I've understood a lot about the hitting mechanic and the effect and that has improved my groundstrokes significantly.

Anyway, if this is something that you see you can readily replicate anytime and has potential in developing further in control and power, you're on the right track. Otherwise, back to the drawing board. ;)

salsainglesa
12-11-2009, 11:00 PM
but please put it in layman terms, thats what i asked!

yeah, i can replicate the stroke, its on my muscular memory... hitting over the ball, or under, or wherever necesary, i have put a lot of time in developing the judgement for this, depending on court positioning and incoming ball with all its variables...

soo.....

pleeeeeeease tell me!

salsainglesa
12-11-2009, 11:09 PM
yes jazzfunky, i will never do that again, the sad part is, both string jobs they did, were off, and got them in days appart! :(

i will check them next time whenever i get em out of the store.

my guess is that the two stringers are calibrated differently hihihihi
the one usually does the job was out for a tournament.