PDA

View Full Version : Knots

InsideOut94
12-11-2009, 04:34 PM
So I string about 7 times during a week on my own rackets. Sometimes, when i get to the last tie off and knot once, i knot again and the string sometimes will occasionally snap. I currently use the box tie off technique and was wondering if anyone knew any other techniques to knot?

davidm
12-11-2009, 04:47 PM
I always use the Parnell knot and have not had a problem with knot breakage in many years of stringing. But when stringing natural gut, i always tighten the knot by hand only, even then being careful not to pull TOO hard, just make sure it's cinched up nicely.

what kind of string are you having this issue with, and are you using your machine tension head to tighten the knot? that's generally not recommended.

jim e
12-11-2009, 04:51 PM
So I string about 7 times during a week on my own rackets. Sometimes, when i get to the last tie off and knot once, i knot again and the string sometimes will occasionally snap. I currently use the box tie off technique and was wondering if anyone knew any other techniques to knot?

Use this knot illustrated on this link below. It is the so called Parnell knot . I was taught this knot many many years back, (over 40 years ago). You also should just use your fingers for cinching up the knot, as that works nice without putting stress on the string. Be sure to rock back the slack as shown as that will take up the slack nice.
BTW, how is it that you string 7 times/week on just your own! That averages once/day for just your own? You must be some string breaker!!!

Use this knot below, as it has worked well for me for years.YUlitle displays it very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUFjDax7xK4&fmt=18

dancraig
12-11-2009, 06:22 PM
http://www.keohi.com/tennis/misc/knots.htm

davidahenry
12-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Another vote for the Parnell Knot. I use it almost exclusively and have never had any problems at all. (The only time I don't use it is when there is VERY little space to tie a knot - then I use the PC Knot.)

Take care.

DH

alidisperanza
12-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Parnell or plain ole' double half hitch.

Never tighten knots with a machine. It's a recepie for snapping strings (especially gut) At best, with a drop weight or crank you can *CAREFULLY* tension the knots a little bit. Honestly, I'm not too sure why those electric machines even have a "knot" button

Cfidave
12-13-2009, 01:16 PM
My understanding is that the " knot button" over tensions the last string BEFORE the knot is tied. This makes up for lost tension during the tie off.

TennezSport
12-13-2009, 01:23 PM
My understanding is that the " knot button" over tensions the last string BEFORE the knot is tied. This makes up for lost tension during the tie off.

Yes, the "Knot" function on stringing machines is to overtension the last string by a set percentage to minimize any slack when seting your tie off knot.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

LaverAtor
12-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Parnell knot has worked for me.

slow_duster
12-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Parnell knot, tighten knots by hand only. Works on gut every time !! I have used needle-nose pliers on some stiffer strings.

slow_duster
12-13-2009, 03:39 PM
I wish I had a knot button, that sounds like a great feature..

jim e
12-13-2009, 05:54 PM
I wish I had a knot button, that sounds like a great feature..

I only hand tighten my knots.
The knot button has a different function, as is not to tighten anything.
The knot button on my machine will increase the tension by 10% for the one pull after you hit that button, it will then go back to the origional set tension. Its a very nice feature to have.If you tie a good cinched up knot, that button will compensate the 10% for the slight tension loss for the knot. When you do this, and then pluck the strings, the end main will sound just as it should just a very slight higher pitch over the adjacent main.
Many stringers do use this (increasing the end tie off string tension). I am one of those. Many prefer not to as well.Each have various reasons. No set rules on this topic, as it is very debatable each way. Just be sure to be consistant in whichever way you decide.

alidisperanza
12-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Holy cow! Good to know. It also makes sense as to why my string snapped like a rocket the one time I tried it. (I'm a crank/dropweight kinda guy) I just saw this pretty lit up knot button and made my own assumptions. Thankfully I haven't had the courage to try it again in years.

YULitle
12-14-2009, 07:47 AM
Lots of good things so far.

No tightening the knot with the tensioner.

Where, exactly, does the knot snap? Does it snap AT the knot or at some spot between the knot and where you are pulling? Or, where you are pulling it?

Also, check this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWx3iVPZl_c

Richard Parnell
12-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Parnell for me too

drakulie
12-14-2009, 08:54 AM
^^^LOL. Nice!

Bud
12-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Use this knot illustrated on this link below. It is the so called Parnell knot . I was taught this knot many many years back, (over 40 years ago). You also should just use your fingers for cinching up the knot, as that works nice without putting stress on the string. Be sure to rock back the slack as shown as that will take up the slack nice.
BTW, how is it that you string 7 times/week on just your own! That averages once/day for just your own? You must be some string breaker!!!

Use this knot below, as it has worked well for me for years.YUlitle displays it very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUFjDax7xK4&fmt=18

How did Parnell get credited with a knot that was probably created before he was even born? :confused:

Always wondered that... and why he doesn't correct people when they call it that.

BTW, half hitch/double half hitch works perfectly. Always tighten by hand only. Also, depending on which side you loop... the tail will either stick close to the frame... or hang away from the frame. Make sure you loop it so the tail sticks close to the frame.

PimpMyGame
12-14-2009, 09:35 AM
Double half-hitch for me. Tighten knots by hand and only very occasionally using a starting clamp. I've never broken a string when tying a knot.

drakulie
12-14-2009, 09:35 AM
Richard, when are you going to sell that 5502??

PimpMyGame
12-14-2009, 09:37 AM
BTW, half hitch/double half hitch works perfectly. Always tighten by hand only. Also, depending on which side you loop... the tail will either stick close to the frame... or hang away from the frame. Make sure you loop it so the tail sticks close to the frame.

I use OUT with double half hitch - Over, Under, Through. First knot - work toward the centre of the racket, second knot work towards the frame and this will leave your knot tails close to the frame.

jim e
12-14-2009, 10:03 AM
How did Parnell get credited with a knot that was probably created before he was even born? :confused:

Always wondered that... and why he doesn't correct people when they call it that.

Hi Bud: An old timer that taught me to string back in 1968 taught me that knot,(never called it by any name), and said that no one else in our area used that knot back then. He told me that it would distinguish my work from others, I figured that since he was getting on in years at that time, and was parting with one of his machines(he was selling me his old Serrano), he wanted me to know this knot, as he was most likely getting out of stringing at that time.
From this , its evident that the knot was around for some time, and I figured that Parnell was probably the one who brought it to the rest of the well known stringers, and since its exact origin would be difficult to be found, that the knot was named after him.

Lakers4Life
12-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Surprisingly I see a lot of rackets, that were not strung by me previously, that have some unusual knots. The worse ones are the ones that are pulled thru the grommet. I'm so used to tying Parnell Knots, it's the only knot I use.

drakulie
12-14-2009, 10:17 AM
I use the parnell, or wilson "pro" knot.

Although I learned the parnell from Mr. Parnell, the wilson "pro" knot I have used since I started stringing, and it was never referred to this way.

Bud
12-14-2009, 11:24 AM
I use OUT with double half hitch - Over, Under, Through. First knot - work toward the centre of the racket, second knot work towards the frame and this will leave your knot tails close to the frame.

Yup... definitely a way to tie it so the tail points toward the frame.

Bud
12-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Hi Bud: An old timer that taught me to string back in 1968 taught me that knot,(never called it by any name), and said that no one else in our area used that knot back then. He told me that it would distinguish my work from others, I figured that since he was getting on in years at that time, and was parting with one of his machines(he was selling me his old Serrano), he wanted me to know this knot, as he was most likely getting out of stringing at that time.
From this , its evident that the knot was around for some time, and I figured that Parnell was probably the one who brought it to the rest of the well known stringers, and since its exact origin would be difficult to be found, that the knot was named after him.

It's a fairly well-known knot... I forget its proper/original name however since I never use it.

topanlego
12-14-2009, 02:38 PM
It's pretty much two half hitches with the end pulled through the first hitch so it's held down tight next to the frame. Looks clean and keeps the end from poking into your skin if you decide to run your fingers close to the knot.

Richard Parnell
12-15-2009, 12:43 AM
The Knot became known as the Parnell Knot due to it being filmed in the wimbledon stringing room in about 2003 and then put on the net. This was done by Tim Strawn of G S S and he just called it the richard Parnell knot as a commentary while filming. I have never claimed to have invented it but as a lot of other stringers were using very complicated knots that took ages to tie they liked the one I used and then they all wanted to learn it (we always learn things in the tour stringing rooms).
This knot also protects the anchor string as there is a loop between the first hitch and the anchor when you tighten it (don't know if I have explained myself very well but....)
Happy Christmas all
Richard

Teyko
12-15-2009, 01:40 AM
I would also suggest you go with a parnell knot. I however do use a bulky knot for starting my crosses.

Bud
12-15-2009, 06:35 AM
The Knot became known as the Parnell Knot due to it being filmed in the wimbledon stringing room in about 2003 and then put on the net. This was done by Tim Strawn of G S S and he just called it the richard Parnell knot as a commentary while filming. I have never claimed to have invented it but as a lot of other stringers were using very complicated knots that took ages to tie they liked the one I used and then they all wanted to learn it (we always learn things in the tour stringing rooms).
This knot also protects the anchor string as there is a loop between the first hitch and the anchor when you tighten it (don't know if I have explained myself very well but....)
Happy Christmas all
Richard

Thanks for the explanation :-)