PDA

View Full Version : College Tennis

nadalfan!
12-11-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm wondering if I will fit into the college tennis scene. Based on tennis recruiting, I'm top 50 in michigan and top 1500 in national standings. I am willing to do whatever it takes to get to the top and I have help from my parents. I'm playing tournaments and have been doing ok in them. Last weekend I played in 18s and lost in 2-3 set tiebreakers both time and the week before I played in 16s and got to the semis before losing to the top seed. I am 16 years old an really want to play college tennis (Not necessarily for the best teams out there) at a good school. I have a 3.9 gpa and don't struggle too much in school. Any help out there?

T10s747
12-11-2009, 04:38 PM
There's a place for everyone in college tennis but if you don't get your national ranking into the top 300, focus on academic schools first that also field a tennis team. Plays lots of tourneys, get more experience. Take lessons and improve your skills.

slice bh compliment
12-11-2009, 05:09 PM
It is very rewarding to be a student athlete. It was not easy, but I loved it. I encourage you to play well and find a good fit academically, socially and in terms of tennis.

Search a few of the other threads here. There's a lot of good information.

Talk to a local pro or two....and some of their recent students who played Division I, II and / or III tennis. Pick their brains as to what they loved about college tennis and what you can expect.

Read up on a few recruiting websites. It's competitive and somewhat confusing out there. Get the lay of the land.

There are also a few pay services out there. I'm sure some are scammish in nature, but that might be a decent call if you need some professional consulting.

Talk to your guidance counselor and mention tennis in the mix of schools you will consider.

Point out that you are probably not yet a candidate for a tip top DI program that has it's tennis roster full of world-ranked players and top 100 nationally ranked kids.

Your GPA and hopefully commensurate board scores are a really great start.

Years ago [when I was a pro at a huge facility, then as a head pro at a club], I was fortunate enough to have coached some players through to college tennis (WAC, C-USA, The Ivy League, SEC, PAC 10, Big 12, Big 10, Big East, Yankee Conference, etc). A few kids were, I think, juuuuust good enough for those types of programs, but decided to go be the big fish in the smaller pond at some DIII schools that were a better fit academically. Great call there.

Best wishes!

coyfish
12-11-2009, 06:26 PM
If you play on a decent D1 team then you need to know what your getting into. I didn't play college tennis but I played D1 soccer for a year before I busted my leg. Anyway most people know about the time that goes into the sport directly. Especially travel time. Workouts, training, practice, etc. What many people don't realize is the work that goes on away from tennis. A lot of times your entire schedules are laid out for you. I had living arrangements, eating, free time, studytime, etc. all scheduled for me. Structure is good but you need to understand that commitment. I loved soccer and was forced to quit because I broke my leg but in the end it was a good thing. Because im now going to med school and the free time allowed me to study, do research, and other important academic responsibilities. I didn't want to be a pro soccer player so for me the commitment wasn't worth it. Then again I was premed which is harder than most majors. I guess it depends on what you want to do.

Thats my advice for you. GL

MC10S
01-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Academics first.

Then Tennis.

This will be your recipe.

You can play college tennis all over the country. There are always gonna be small colleges and universities that are looking for players. It just might not be where you want to go or they might not offer the degree plan you need.

MC10s,
Contributor
D3tennis.com

west coast 2 hander
01-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Start making contact with schools/coaches. make a video. start a list of what you are looking for in a school.

goldfish81
01-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Start making contact with schools/coaches. make a video. start a list of what you are looking for in a school.

i agree do that and youll be fine

pac10s.com