PDA

View Full Version : 2 months till season

itracbui3
12-11-2009, 07:14 PM
i am currently a 3.5-4.0 player. i have reliable strokes but its still sometime inconsistent. i can hit winners from both sides but if the opponent returns the shot, i will have trouble picking it up. my serves around 90's first serve and high 60's 2nd serve. 2nd serve is a kick/twist/slice. my season is starting in 2 months so i really want to know what can i do to improve my game better (beside the obvious practice option). thanks ;)

12-11-2009, 07:28 PM
i am currently a 3.5-4.0 player. i have reliable strokes but its still sometime inconsistent. i can hit winners from both sides but if the opponent returns the shot, i will have trouble picking it up. my serves around 90's first serve and high 60's 2nd serve. 2nd serve is a kick/twist/slice. my season is starting in 2 months so i really want to know what can i do to improve my game better (beside the obvious practice option). thanks ;)

Work to be more consistent and make more shots. Be willing to hit 7-10 shots or more per rally. Be on balance more when hitting and take high percentage shots to help with this. This is the best thing you can do in the short time you have and really the most important thing always.

Blake0
12-11-2009, 08:56 PM
A couple areas you should improve on is consistency and mentallity. If you have these 2 things, you'll be able to win a lot of the matches you play. Work on keeping the ball in play deep(past service line) for 5-10 shots in a row.

A good drill is to keep the ball in for atleast 5 balls before trying to win the point by a winner or forcing an error.

For mentallity, you have to be able to stay focused through the match, play well during pressured points, and don't lose. Play a match against someone you can beat quite easily and start off each game 0-15 or 0-30 down and try to beat him/her.

user92626
12-11-2009, 09:57 PM
First serve in the 90s is very good, probably second to only pro's.

I would think you should easily be able to get easy points off of it in your level.

itracbui3
12-11-2009, 11:33 PM
First serve in the 90s is very good, probably second to only pro's.

I would think you should easily be able to get easy points off of it in your level.

yeah but the thing is my league are mostly pushers they just push the ball back no matter how hard it comes at them and they would retrieve like any balls that pass the net

Cody
12-11-2009, 11:38 PM
Maybe just some general match play against some good partners will improve your anticipation, game plan and consistency.

If you work on movement your whole game will improve, get in the right position early and the power and consistency will come easily.

12-11-2009, 11:41 PM
yeah but the thing is my league are mostly pushers they just push the ball back no matter how hard it comes at them and they would retrieve like any balls that pass the net

Good placement then as well, cause that really makes it tough on pushers when you put the ball where you need to.

Cody
12-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Have you tried mixing it up with some all court play. ?

You seem to talk about hitting winners so i would think your a little more inclined to baseline play.

Some pushers can be suckers for some nice approaches then following to net and putting away the volley.

Mastering this type of play is great for future as you have many options that are always available to you.

itracbui3
12-12-2009, 12:38 AM
Have you tried mixing it up with some all court play. ?

You seem to talk about hitting winners so i would think your a little more inclined to baseline play.

Some pushers can be suckers for some nice approaches then following to net and putting away the volley.

Mastering this type of play is great for future as you have many options that are always available to you.

i do play baseline but when i get the chance, i will approach the net really fast and stick up there until they lob but yeah i really dont like changing the variety of my game bcause i want to come through sticking with it

KenC
12-12-2009, 02:53 AM
I would suggest disciplined practice based on drills meant to improve a particular weakness, like footwork, hitting running backhands, getting more power into backhand slices, etc. I see way to many people who only practice what they are good at, like the forehand, only to see in real match situations that everyone hits everything to their backhand.

I personally am developing a wicked topspin/kick/twist second serve this off-season. I also want to explore forehand slice more. Getting more power in my return of serves is a priority as well. It will probably be boring and frustrating, but should pay off next year.

HunterST
12-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Are you sure your first serve is in the 90s? Have you actually had it measured with a radar gun? I find it hard to believe a 3.5 would have that fast of a serve and have much trouble winning, unless you double fault all the time.

itracbui3
12-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Are you sure your first serve is in the 90s? Have you actually had it measured with a radar gun? I find it hard to believe a 3.5 would have that fast of a serve and have much trouble winning, unless you double fault all the time.

yeah i have measured it with a radar gun and its usually like 92-96 i only double like once or twice through out the whole game. as i was saying, my season is going to start soon and i am not sure about the competition except for the fact that they are pushers . i just want to be on the safe side and get as good as i can before then

LightningZI
12-13-2009, 01:03 PM

yeah i have measured it with a radar gun and its usually like 92-96 i only double like once or twice through out the whole game. as i was saying, my season is going to start soon and i am not sure about the competition except for the fact that they are pushers . i just want to be on the safe side and get as good as i can before then

I kinda agree with Hunter as I've also never seen a 3.5 with a serve in the 90's.. Also are you self rated 3.5-4.0? If so you should always take 1.0 out of your self rating to get a more accurate rating..(Just an FYI)

But on the subject, If your serve is that fast, And you say it's pretty consistent, Why even post a thread, Most Pushers will just lob your serve back if anything, A serve like that should win you half the game, the rest is your groundstrokes and volleys. You really can't condition to beat a pusher other than practice, Mostly they'll have more stamina than you so you cannot outlast them (But this doesn't apply to all of them, Just most of them) Practice is the only training. Better strokes, and anticipating his next move is the way to beat not only pushers but also different players.

itracbui3
12-13-2009, 02:02 PM
I kinda agree with Hunter as I've also never seen a 3.5 with a serve in the 90's.. Also are you self rated 3.5-4.0? If so you should always take 1.0 out of your self rating to get a more accurate rating..(Just an FYI)

But on the subject, If your serve is that fast, And you say it's pretty consistent, Why even post a thread, Most Pushers will just lob your serve back if anything, A serve like that should win you half the game, the rest is your groundstrokes and volleys. You really can't condition to beat a pusher other than practice, Mostly they'll have more stamina than you so you cannot outlast them (But this doesn't apply to all of them, Just most of them) Practice is the only training. Better strokes, and anticipating his next move is the way to beat not only pushers but also different players.

its kinda self rated but ive played an official 4.0 and i got 6-4, 5-7, 3-6 so im guessing i should be somewhere around there and as for those pushers, they annoys me to the point that i cant concentrate on my game and iwll lose consistency to them