PDA

View Full Version : Poly Tension Recommendations?

Freestyle
12-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Hi everyone.

I've been reading a wealth of threads on the boards praising low tension polys. I just broke my strings today, and was considering trying a low tension setup. I was wondering whether you guys think it will suit me, how low to go, etc.

I would approximately guess that I am a 3.5, as I can beat 3.5 ranked players in my state, although I have never participated in a tournament myself as of yet. I hit with topspin off of both wings, semi-western straight-arm forehand and a one-handed eastern grip backhand. Sometimes, when I go for a flat shot, my balls sail on me. I was thinking that using a lower tension would allow me to increase my spin and bite, although flat shots would get even lower percentage.

If I choose to go with it, how low should I go? I use Golden Set Poly (1.18 m (18g) ), usually at 57 lbs. Perhaps I should go with 50? I was thinking about 48.

Thanks in advance.

lawlitssoo1n
12-11-2009, 07:11 PM
hitting topspin or flat shots are all by technique, not by the string or tension.
if you were using 57 try going down by 2 lbs at a time. 57-50or 48 is a big step in changing tensions.

joe sch
12-11-2009, 08:20 PM
hitting topspin or flat shots are all by technique, not by the string or tension.
if you were using 57 try going down by 2 lbs at a time. 57-50or 48 is a big step in changing tensions.

Agree. Especially if you have flat strokes, ie not a lot a loop. What is straight arm ? Lower tension is good if you can generate more racket head speed and generally you need circular looped strokes so hits do not trampoline.

nickarnold2000
12-12-2009, 02:03 AM
Agree. Especially if you have flat strokes, ie not a lot a loop. What is straight arm ? Lower tension is good if you can generate more racket head speed and generally you need circular looped strokes so hits do not trampoline.
Yes! IMO, low tension poly will most benefit those who use more topspin in their games.

Freestyle
12-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Okay, so maybe I'll take it slow. What about a OHBH? Is low tension poly not suitable for a one hand backhand?

joe sch
12-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Okay, so maybe I'll take it slow. What about a OHBH? Is low tension poly not suitable for a one hand backhand?

Its not really an issue of OH vs 2H, its can you consistently generate spin while mantaining control ? Its stroke mechanics not type of strokes.

DennisK
12-12-2009, 12:55 PM

Thats all down to personal preference and feel. I hit slice, flat and topspin using my OHBH with a low strung poly and really like the way it feels.

The lower tension gives me more dwell time and power which on a single hander is all important IMO, especially when caught stretching out wide. And with it being a poly, it still gives a firm, positive feel on impact, which I prefer.

lawlitssoo1n
12-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Thats all down to personal preference and feel. I hit slice, flat and topspin using my OHBH with a low strung poly and really like the way it feels.

The lower tension gives me more dwell time and power which on a single hander is all important IMO, especially when caught stretching out wide. And with it being a poly, it still gives a firm, positive feel on impact, which I prefer.

well said. i string way up there because i love the control and can give a good rip at the ball w/o worrying about having it fly out on me. i string high, and have a lot of power on my strokes. instead of lowering your tension, try using a softer poly at a higher tension? or a stiff poly at a lower tension. guess it can work both ways