PDA

View Full Version : Another topspin serve instruction video..

gzhpcu
12-12-2009, 05:01 AM
In addition to Wil's excellent FYB site, here is another video which might also help on getting topspin on the serve....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gWAww8FSes&feature=related

Roy125
12-12-2009, 09:07 AM
In addition to Wil's excellent FYB site, here is another video which might also help on getting topspin on the serve....

It highlighted my mistake.:shock:

wihamilton
12-12-2009, 11:13 AM

Brent's got some great stuff online. Also like this one on the toss --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8kynEzufNE

Keep in mind that you don't have to hold the ball how Brent suggests -- there are several techniques the pros use -- but what he's talking about works and can really help if you're struggling w/consistency.

BTW thanks gzhpcu.

Xenakis
12-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks, good stuff. I've had to learn my service motion again after having a lesson from an RPT coach, topspin and slice will in the next lesson I think so I'll check out that video to get a headstart possibly.

I wasn't pronating properly and my ball toss was in the wrong place apparently (I was putting it infront and to the side, should be an arc more over my head, seems to be working.) It feels like a sort of forehand or backhand above my head rather than a vertical action (does that make sense?)

Also I was told you should be able to hold the racquet with the forefinger and thumb, using the other fingers as stabilisers (sort of, like you hold a drumstick, something I can do much better =)

Some stuff I hadn't read trying to teach myself from online resources anyway. Thought the toss was supposed to land infront and to the side, and not read anything about the forefinger and thumb stuff.

Ken Honecker
12-12-2009, 11:48 PM
I'm afraid the whole concept of topspin serve is beyond me. I completely see how I get topspin on my groundstrokes by hitting low to high and brushing up and through the ball but for the life of me it doesn't make sense in the service motion. On a slice serve I can see hitting on the side of the ball to impart spin but if I throw the ball in front of me and slap it with my racquet I am hitting the back of the ball. Just how am I brushing across it in a upwards manner?

martini1
12-13-2009, 05:17 AM
The concept seems hard to understand at first, but after a few hundred hits you will start to get the hang of it.

gzhpcu
12-13-2009, 01:23 PM
I'm afraid the whole concept of topspin serve is beyond me. I completely see how I get topspin on my groundstrokes by hitting low to high and brushing up and through the ball but for the life of me it doesn't make sense in the service motion. On a slice serve I can see hitting on the side of the ball to impart spin but if I throw the ball in front of me and slap it with my racquet I am hitting the back of the ball. Just how am I brushing across it in a upwards manner?
You hit the topspin serve a bit lower than a flat serve. You keep sideways longer. Your racket should still be going up a bit on impact, and you are hitting inside out (left to right). The swing initally goes off towards the right after impact. Actually, it is more of a topspin/slice since there will also be some side spin.

featherlight
12-14-2009, 11:19 PM
is there a difference between kick serve and topspin serve

moroni
12-15-2009, 01:01 AM
a topspin serve is a simple kickserve .... to clear things you are capable of hitting a topspin serve if you have a kick serve but not vice versa

zapvor
12-15-2009, 07:17 AM
i just want to say that i got like a 10min lesson from Will on the serve, so take that everybody :P

zapvor
12-15-2009, 07:19 AM

it does seem very odd. i wouldnt try to think of it the same as you do with a forehand. its hard to explain in text, but bascially the idea is like throwing your racket upwards. it seems very counterintuitive, because you want to like 'slap it down' but if you have someone show/teach you, if you try it with a continental grip, it actually imparts that spin which brings the ball down. again, have a pro show you. and if you keep at it without caring about where the ball is going, it will click for you eventually. it becomes fun actually. i love serving.

zapvor
12-15-2009, 07:20 AM
what i cant hit is a slice serve.

LeeD
12-15-2009, 03:02 PM
Topspin serve, you toss the ball over your head (but into the court), and the strike point is lower than a flat serve.
Slice serve, rightie, you toss well out to your RIGHT, so you sidespin it into the court with slice, making the ball curve right to left.

Ken Honecker
12-16-2009, 02:29 AM
Now is the snow goes off I'll be able to practice in 4 months.

GuyClinch
12-16-2009, 04:09 AM
I had a problem learning it - and what I say might be controversial about it now..

But here goes.. The key about the slice and kick serves is that for me and other players they are counterintutitive. You think (and this works for flat serves) - that racket direction = ball direction.

But that's not really true. What's important is that the racquet FACE is pointed roughly in the right direction. The swing path can vary depending on the kind of serve you want to hit.

So if you want a to hit a topspin serve mentally think about swinging STRAIGHT UP at the ball. Not out and through the ball like you would on a regular flat serve. And if you want to hit a slice serve think about swinging straight out towards the net post.

There is of course more to it then this - there is pronation going on (on every serve) and your trying to swing up along the backside of the ball on kick (not hit the bottom of it with your racquet frame). But the mental idea of swinging the racquet in a different direction then the ball is going to go is the key thing to "get" IMHO. You also need to think about your shoulders some (so you don't "come around" too early on the kick) and there are lots of other technical details. But the "lightbulb" moment for me was just noticing how your swing path determines the spin and not the direction of ball travel.

Pete

bhupaes
12-16-2009, 05:18 AM
^^^ You got it!

chico9166
12-16-2009, 05:46 AM
An important thing to note is how "inside" the contact is, in relationship to the hand. This promotes a more vertical movement of the racquet. Many are conditioned to "vertically align" the hand and racquet at impact, which leads to more across the ball, slice, spin.