PDA

View Full Version : The Inner Game of tennis question.

Aykhan Mammadov
04-20-2005, 03:43 PM
Some of you advised me that this book is among best, so I have bought it and have read already.

What did I get? Only 1 idea that there are Self 1 and Self 2. Before reading the book I knew and already felt that when a man scares, worries and etc. he loses some big percentage of his skills and etc... So what was new? In old Japanese schools of Karate-do there was such a notion as " Mizu-no-kokoro" = "sleeping lake", what means that when there are ripples in a water yr reflections are not perfect, that is when u worries u lose yr skills, techniques and etc... So the idea is not new.

Only 1 thing was new - that don't judge yr hits, skills, try to focus yr self 1 on something, say on seams of the ball.. Nothing else, only 1 idea stretched to the full book. But he goes further and tells that u 'd completely separate Self 1 from Self 2 in order not to interfere, "don't think" - he tells, Self 2 is perfect and will do everything himself. Focus yr Self 1 on something.

In this regard I have to u question " How about noticing weaknesses of yr opponent and correspondingly correcting yr tactics and strategies during a match, so what - not to think about this also ? How to focus on seams of the ball and at the same time try to notice those weaknesses ?"

Capt. Willie
04-20-2005, 08:38 PM
I got much more useful info out of "Winning Ugly"....and in that Brad Gilbert wants you to think.

goober
04-20-2005, 08:45 PM
If you wanted a book to focus on tennis stratgies you bought the wrong book. I agree that Winning Ugly is a much more pratical book.