PDA

View Full Version : Slicing with a one-hander compared to two-hander

<3tennis!!!
12-12-2009, 07:06 AM
hey everyone, i am still undecided on which bh to pursue....i have pretty much been playing with two hands my entire life but have been playing around with the 1 handed backhand lately with surprisingly good results...one key problem though is that with a one hander, i sometimes have trouble deciding whether to hit topspin or a slice...whereas with a two hander i think it is much more clearly defined as to which type of shot(slice/topspin) to hit. thoughts? comments? all help appreciated:)

Carlito
12-12-2009, 07:43 AM
I don't know how long you have been playing or how serious you are about tennis, but if you decide to switch, it will take a long time to really be adjusted. When I switched I lost a lot of matches after being successfull w/ a 2 hander. Took over 6 months to be at a point I was really comfortable. Keep in mind it will probably be easier to improve a two hander than it will be to develop a 1 hander.

As for slice v. topspin. It is easier to slice than it is to topspin because you need to get your feet and shoulders set. You have a little more room to improvise if you are going to slice. You will find that there a a few balls that you shouldn't be trying to drive and should probably be slicing. The high ball for example and when on the dead run. You figure it out in time and it just becomes instictual.

Now during rallys personally, chosing to hit top spin or slice is a premeditated choice. I get it set in my head as soon as possible what I am going to do based on the situation or the player. Most of the time I have the topspin backhand grip ready as my to drive the ball and improvise to the continental to slice if I have to. Sometimes I am looking to slice first, top spin second. Like when the guy is serving bombs to the BH side. Its much easier to improvise from a topspin to a slice, than slice to topspin. But when in doubt I will probably slice it.

Kunohara
12-12-2009, 07:44 AM
I play with a 2HBH and I slice quite often... Use whichever you're most comfortable/better with, you're probably going to use the slice regardless.

Slazenger07
12-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Id go with a one-hander, used to play with two hands then I switched and Im glad I did. One-hander is more versatile and flexible, meaning its easier to hit on the stretch or while running I think.

lancernrg
12-12-2009, 05:28 PM
hey everyone, i am still undecided on which bh to pursue....i have pretty much been playing with two hands my entire life but have been playing around with the 1 handed backhand lately with surprisingly good results...one key problem though is that with a one hander, i sometimes have trouble deciding whether to hit topspin or a slice...whereas with a two hander i think it is much more clearly defined as to which type of shot(slice/topspin) to hit. thoughts? comments? all help appreciated:)

Only real men play with the one-handed backhand. DO NOT CONFORM with those effeminate two-handed nancy boys.:oops:

Grampy
12-12-2009, 05:53 PM

I use both. I have a 2 hander for everything except the slice. Most pro's do this as well.

I have a lot of my highschool players come to me saying they want to switch to a one hander. After questioning them, it usually comes down to they want to look cool hitting a backhand. So if you want to look cool, go for the one hander. If you want to play your best then use with what you've been using your "entire life" (however long that may be).

fuzz nation
12-14-2009, 10:08 AM
I use both a one and a two-handed topspin backhand, plus a one-handed slice.

It takes me a fraction of a second longer to set up and execute my 1hbh, so if I'm fighting off a deep drive or looking to hit an aggressive bh return of serve, the two-hander is what works for me there. Any other rally ball will be my much more accurate and dependable topspin one-hander. I'll slice if the ball is really low, way out to my backhand side, or even if I want to change up the pace of a rally. I can return well with it, too. Not saying that everyone needs to be like me and use all three strokes, but they all make sense for me and I can use them all well depending on the situation... blah, blah, blah...

It may eventually seem that one of the topspin bh styles just makes more sense in your brain - it comes more naturally for you. If so, that's the one to shore up first. In either case, I strongly encourage you to specifically learn a good slice bh regardless of whatever other style of backhand you also use. I think it's nearly as essential a shot as a dependable second serve.

That indecision you mentioned makes me think that you're still working out your habits with the 1hbh. Eventually you'll have more of a feel for your shots and you'll recognize which stroke to use at almost the instant the ball is hit to you. Keep working on it. When I was first honing a solid 1hbh, I assumed that any ball to that wing would be a slice unless it was clearly in my wheelhouse and I had time to set up my one-hander. That worked great for playing points - no indecision. On the practice courts though, you can try hitting every single ball on that wing as a topspin 1hbh. Also no decision to make, but it will also push you to trust that stroke and handle tougher balls that might make you think twice during a point. It won't be perfect right away, but eventually you'll be able to trust it more often.

LeeD
12-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Most pro mens players topspin with a two hander and slice with a one hander, exclusively.

Blake0
12-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Sorry didn't read post correctly..i really prefer 1hbh slice even if you hit 2hbh's normally.

junbumkim
12-14-2009, 08:25 PM
If you can consistently drive one handed backhand, then you would only want to use slice to change up the pace or to approach.

One handed backhand has pretty small zone of strike -above knee and below chest. So slice could be a better choice outside this zone if you aren't comfortable hitting a topspin drive outside the zone.

With that being said, it's also situtional; how good your slice is, your top spin drive is, and how well your opponent deals with these shot.

To summarize; if you want to be offensive and attack with your backhand (ie finish off point), then hit a topspin drive.

If you want to slow things down in the rally (change the pace), to elicit a weak reply, to recover in the rally, or to defend, then hit a slice backhand. However, you always have to expect to hit a second shot.

Watch some Federer's, Sampras', Murray, or Roddick's match. These are players who mixes up slice and topspin.

Final word; make sure you can really knife your slice. Good players from 4.0 can hit a offensive shot off a mediocre slice...

leeroy85
12-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Conners had a nice chip/slice using 2 hands. But when forced wide, he could also slice with one. I would want both shots in arsenal.