PDA

View Full Version : No topspin on my backhand

MaratSafin_fan
12-12-2009, 07:28 AM
I got no topspin on my backhand at all. Its flat and goes often long ( I kinda scooping the ball sometimes ). I have problem with the power on highballs. I got a cramping feeling and can just make a moonball back. I dont have problems with my western-forehand. I got great topspin and power and thats the reason I can win matches, but I get really tired after because I have to run with my forehand all over the court!

I play with eastern on my 2HB. THNX for your advice!

fruitytennis1
12-12-2009, 08:00 AM
For highballs either jack-knife or step up and take it on the rise which is really hard on the bh.
My bh has always been extremely flat too so I really try to emphasize"throwing a bag over my shoulder thing"

dlk
12-12-2009, 08:32 AM
For highballs either jack-knife or step up and take it on the rise which is really hard on the bh.
My bh has always been extremely flat too so I really try to emphasize"throwing a bag over my shoulder thing"

I get the "take on the rise," but what's "jack-knife?" I generate topspin with more of a level to low shoulder follow-throogh. I've tried the high ear follow through but shots go long, flatter, & mishits; but it looks cool.

charliefedererer
12-12-2009, 09:03 AM
I got no topspin on my backhand at all. Its flat and goes often long ( I kinda scooping the ball sometimes ). I have problem with the power on highballs. I got a cramping feeling and can just make a moonball back. I dont have problems with my western-forehand. I got great topspin and power and thats the reason I can win matches, but I get really tired after because I have to run with my forehand all over the court!

I play with eastern on my 2HB. THNX for your advice!

The topspin comes from dropping the racquet really low just as you are transitioning from your backswing to your forward swing and then swinging low to high. Will Hamilton explains it on his "Add a Loop" Fuzzy Yellos Balls video: http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/video-tennis-lessons/backhand/two-handed-backhand-progressions/add-a-loop/ (It's okay to sign up. This is a first rate, legitimate site, you just have to be patient and sit through the commercial.)

For those high backhands: http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/video-tennis-lessons/backhand/advanced-backhand-technique/handling-high-balls-to-the-backhand/

Don't totally abandon your flat backhand. Your topspin backhand will be your main rally shot, passing shot, and shot to get you out of trouble on deep drives. But your relatively flat drive can be your putaway on a short ball, or your forcing shot of a midcourt ball as you run your opponent to come to the net or set up for the final kill shot.

And as you keep playing you will have all sorts of "gears" on your backhand with regard to the amount of spin you place depending on the situation, just like a 10 speed bike has 10 gears depending on how challenging the hill. You'll go from maximum spin on a backhand topspin lob or thowing back a back that has got you in trouble in the corner, to varying amounts of spin during your ralleys to gain and advantage, play the angles and throw off your opponents timing, to flat drives to press an advantage or end a point. Just like Nadal and Murray.

LeeD
12-14-2009, 01:53 PM
If you get high balls all the time, go with fully Western or SW backhand dominant hand.
OR, slice those high balls with one hand.

paulfreda
12-14-2009, 02:37 PM
For the BH High Ball problem ....
Close your stance with your back almost facing the target.
Raise your arms to ball height.
That should help.

For BH topspin
Watch Venus Williams backswing.
It is very low and behind her back.
Practice that.

coyfish
12-14-2009, 02:53 PM
If your following through high and they are still flat that means your backswing isn't right. You need to get under the ball and hit from low to high. My guess is your backswing is messed up or you aren't bending your knees.

maverick66
12-14-2009, 05:08 PM
I get the "take on the rise," but what's "jack-knife?" I generate topspin with more of a level to low shoulder follow-throogh. I've tried the high ear follow through but shots go long, flatter, & mishits; but it looks cool.

Jack knife is just a jumping backhand. If you can time it great but if not your gonna look like a fool. Its a risky shot that I wouldnt recommend to a lower level player. Until you can hit them with your feet on the ground good I wouldnt start jumping around.