PDA

View Full Version : My backhand --- let me have it (vid)

guedoguedo
12-12-2009, 09:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eCOvMXdJS4 Some doubles points

http://www.vimeo.com/8145826 singles and rallying

2hbh was never a natural stroke for me and as a result looks pretty stiff. I think I am also hitting the ball a little early...anyway let me know if you have any helpful observations

Blake0
12-12-2009, 01:30 PM
You're right, your 2hbh doesnt look very fluid. Not really a 2hbh expert but watch this vid and it might help?
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=xstf#p/u/0/2PvSJP7CRZM

Slazenger07
12-12-2009, 02:06 PM
From the few that I saw Id say the whole motion looks stiff and there wasnt much follow through, Idk if thats just cause you were returning fast serves or if its always like that.

Being a one-hander myself Im no expert on a two-hander but Id say make sure you focus on getting a good follow through, stopping the racquet head too soon will rob you of power.

What problems do you have with your backhand? landing balls too short, deep, lack of control?

CallOfBooty
12-12-2009, 04:43 PM
The first thing you really need to work on is the follow through. Your follow through isn't bad, but you don't have one! You want to be finishing across your opposite shoulder. I see that you are left handed, so you want to finish your swing above your left shoulder.

Another thing is that your racket face is too open and you are scooping the ball up. You want to make it more closed so that you can brush over the ball with a faster swing.

Your 2HBH is also left hand dominant from what I saw. Your right hand lets go of the racket as you go through your shot. You want to make sure that your right hand leads the shot. Your left hand is there for support so it can guide your right hand throughout the shot.

You also need a loop on your backhand. From the ready position, just bring the racket straight back. Now your racket should still be pointing up from the ready position. Drop the racket head and swing from beneath the ball with a closed racket face. This will allow you to swing faster and get more power/spin on your shot.

lancernrg
12-12-2009, 05:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eCOvMXdJS4

2hbh was never a natural stroke for me and as a result looks pretty stiff. I think I am also hitting the ball a little early...anyway let me know if you have any helpful observations

I think you should just switch to a one-handed backhand.
Your two hander just looks like you're pushing the ball on every shot...

Also drop your doubles partner (the fat guy in blue), he looks like he's holding you back.
Otherwise, I think he needs to slim up...no offense...

Solat
12-12-2009, 06:04 PM
COB is pretty much on the ball here, you are hitting a very L hand dominant BH, now this isn't "wrong" but for most people it is advantageous to emphasize the non-dominant arm on the BH.

you need to relax your L hand grip and initiate your racquet acceleration thru rotation and then R arm.

Rambler124
12-12-2009, 07:32 PM
COB is pretty much on the ball here, you are hitting a very L hand dominant BH, now this isn't "wrong" but for most people it is advantageous to emphasize the non-dominant arm on the BH.

you need to relax your L hand grip and initiate your racquet acceleration thru rotation and then R arm.

CallofBooty is on it and I would definitely pay attention to Solat's advice on relaxing your grip. You look super tight on your grip tension on that backhand.

Just as a note it would be nice to see some other backhand shots. I think there were only 3 backhand drives you hit in the vid and 1 slice. All of the drives were on returns of serve. So its a bit hard to tell if you could actually swing through the ball really or just needed a compact stroke for the return due to the serve speed. Get what I mean? Would be nice to see you just hitting backhands rally speed baseline to baseline to get a better idea imo.

guedoguedo
12-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Ask and ye shall receive!

http://www.vimeo.com/8145826

Hit today before i read these comments but my objective was to keep it looser and follow through more. Not 100% better today but i was hitting it better. I hit the backhand better playing singles because i can get into a rhythm where in doubles its just a shot here and there, and I dont have the whole court to hit to so im not as relaxed....To be honest my opponent didnt force to me to hit many backhands..his problem though

My focus going foward will be to keep the grip loose and relaxed and just follow all the way through. Try to get some whip on it and will try to close the racket and see if gets me anywhere.

guedoguedo
12-13-2009, 02:07 PM
I hit a bunch of backhands today, and i gotta say it was eye opening. I never realized i was hitting with a dominant left hand. i assumed they worked equally together. I tried to lead the follow through with my right hand and have a full follow through. The results were impressive! I was hitting a much cleaner ball. It felt strange, like anything new..but Im gonna keep hammering away with this!

LafayetteHitter
12-13-2009, 02:15 PM
2nd video looked like an improvement.

DavaiMarat
12-14-2009, 07:14 AM
It's a little hard to tell you grip combination or how you are turning your racquet grip in your right hand (since you are a lefty) however I would suggest a left hand continental and right hand eastern. The biggest problem I see in your stroke is lack of fluidity and length. You're certainly getting good wood on the ball but it's a muscled shot right now and certainly a bit inconsistent especially out wide or under pressure.

A few tips for you:

1) The follow-thru will always have your racquet tip pointing at the target at some point. This will allow your arm to come all the way thru and around. Some shots in your video you are punting the ball. This leads to shots going long because you're actually decelerating to keep the racquet face flush to the ball. If you watch some of FYB's rudimentary videos on the backhand you will see Will advocating other arms and racquet extended to the target. Try to emulate this.

2) Your hands are tight. Very tight. This is robbing you of power and not allowing you to get much wrist snap into the shot. You need to relax the wrist during your backswing. This will allow the entire arm to move more fluidly. Watch Gill Simon and how he hits 2HBH. The arms are relax and there is some nice wrist snap where he almost just slaps his racquet at the ball. The results are quite astounding considering if you saw him in real life you'd realize how skinny and tiny the guy is.

3) Learn to hit the 2HBH from the open stance. I'm not advocating you hit it like this all the time but when you are pushed out wide you will have a chance to drive the ball not slice it. This involves hitting off your backfoot and requires a lot of power from the hip and core. Add this shot to your arsenal and you'll see a lot more people afraid to approach to you backhand side.

W Cats
12-14-2009, 08:06 AM
I know it's not what you asked for but I have some feedback regarding your doubles play if you want.