PDA

View Full Version : Practicing in altitude

rscottdds
12-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Any tips on getting the most out of practice sessions at altitude? We're going on a family trip to the mountains next week and they have an indoor court at the resort. Its at 7000ft though. We were there a few years ago and it totally messed up my son for a bit but we didn't have high altitude balls and used the resorts racquets not our own. Anyway, he took the last few weeks off for finals so wants to use next week to get back into playing shape. Any recommendations on what to do or not to do as far as training at altitude? Most of his college matches are at sea level.
-Robert

NewGuy
12-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Here's three tips:

Use high altitude balls.

String 4 lbs higher.

Have fun. :)

NewGuy
12-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Oh, and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

rscottdds
12-13-2009, 09:14 AM
Do regular "dead" balls work as high altitude balls? It would be nice to bring a bunch of practice balls with us but I don't want to get a bunch of balls (altitude) I'll never use again.
-Robert

SirSweetSpot
12-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Do regular "dead" balls work as high altitude balls? It would be nice to bring a bunch of practice balls with us but I don't want to get a bunch of balls (altitude) I'll never use again.
-Robert

I believe only in the wintertime.

DownTheLine
12-14-2009, 04:32 PM
The only difference that I felt at higher alititudes(5000ft) is that it played like indoors because the air was thinner.

rscottdds
12-15-2009, 09:45 AM
We'll be playing indoors AND at altitude. Actually the indoor court is one of those bubble tent like things that is kept up by airpumps. Definitely interesting acoustics.
-Robert

Cereal68
12-15-2009, 11:15 AM
played a couple of days at 7500 feet this summer and didn't notice a big difference. I used my own racquets and high altitude balls and had a good time.

Less adjustment than I'd need if I were using someone else's sticks, that's for sure!

ckledzepplin
12-15-2009, 07:30 PM
I live In colorado and went down to NY for the open, and I got to hit while in NY and I could smack the ball as hard as possible and it would drop in. so when at high altitude don't be surprised if your shots float a little longer than usual

sruckauf
12-16-2009, 08:06 AM
We'll be playing indoors AND at altitude. Actually the indoor court is one of those bubble tent like things that is kept up by airpumps. Definitely interesting acoustics.
-Robert

Robert,

I live in Flagstaff, AZ at 7,000 ft and mostly play indoor (since our summer outdoor season is so short). I have three bits of advice.

- Definitely high altitude balls. And no, playing with dead-er regular balls won't do the trick.

- Someone else mentioned hydration.. I agree with this. I would also add maybe some electrolytes/salts to a simple water/Nalgene bottle. Regular water hydration is key, but I see lots of folks with cramping issues up here.. IMO people don't pay enough attention to the salts side of the equation.

- At that altitude, your heart rate will go up doing... anything really. When you first get there, even going up a simple flight of stairs will noticeably up your heart rate a little, even for fit people. So my advice would be to work on any of your favorite exercises for building up your heart rate fitness, in advance. (running, swimming, stair climber, etc.)

Hope that helps.