PDA

View Full Version : Avatar! (believe the hype)

Pages : [1] 2

TahoeTennis
12-12-2009, 02:11 PM
As a huge James Cameron fan, and movie fan in general...there is perhaps no other movie this year I am looking forward to more than AVATAR, which opens next Friday!

I'm just hoping it is as great as I hope it will be. It's getting a great response so far:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091211/REVIEWS/912119998

Any other Cameron, Avatar, Aliens, T2, Titanic fans out there? Bueller?
http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/avatar.jpg

NickC
12-12-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm planning on going with some friends on opening night. I read a review of the movie on IGN this morning and apparently the hype is real. This movie IS going to change filmmaking from here on out, or so the critics have been saying.

35ft6
12-12-2009, 02:54 PM
It's going to be awesome I'm sure. I went to the 15 minute preview in 3D here in LA. The 3D is unlike anything I've seen before. I associate 3D with rocks being thrown at you, but even when the people are just sitting around having a meeting, you get a sense of depth.

Cameron is one of the few directors who infuses his sci-fi, fantasy, CGI epics with real substance and emotions. Jackson and Speilberg are the other two. This movie is going to inspire several generations of future filmmakers the way Star Wars did. I can't even imagine what a 10yo kid must be feeling when he/she sees the trailer, they must be having psychotic episodes of excitement.

Feña14
12-12-2009, 03:31 PM
I'm sure it's very well made, the idea for the story doesn't interest me in the slightest though.

I won't be seeing it.

35ft6
12-12-2009, 04:02 PM
^ It's basically classic hero's myth that Joseph Campbell talks about. It's been told a thousand times and it will be told a thousand more, and when it's done well, it's the most satisfying story possible. Songs and movies, sometimes the best ones are the simplest, just executed incredibly well.

lancernrg
12-12-2009, 05:00 PM
As a huge James Cameron fan, and movie fan in general...there is perhaps no other movie this year I am looking forward to more than AVATAR, which opens next Friday!

I'm just hoping it is as great as I hope it will be. It's getting a great response so far:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091211/REVIEWS/912119998

Any other Cameron, Avatar, Aliens, T2, Titanic fans out there? Bueller?
http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/avatar.jpg

I got to see an advanced screening of Avatar a couple of days ago, unfortunately it did not live up to the hype.
Storyline was long and dragging, and action was too "chaotic" eg. (Batman Begins).

Don't bother wasting your money on this pile of crap. As a matter of fact, this movie makes Toy Story 2 look like a masterpiece.

CanadianChic
12-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Believe the hype...yeah right. My arse! I believed the 'hype' over 2012 and it was without a doubt one of the worst, most unrealistic, crappy dialogue, bad effects, just-blow-up-the-earth-and-get-it-over-with-already! movies I have had the misfortune to almost completely sit through.

skyzoo
12-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Believe the hype...yeah right. My arse! I believed the 'hype' over 2012 and it was without a doubt one of the worst, most unrealistic, crappy dialogue, bad effects, just-blow-up-the-earth-and-get-it-over-with-already! movies I have had the misfortune to almost completely sit through.
arse? arn't you from canada? I believe that word is only used in britian, australia and ireland.

malakas
12-12-2009, 10:23 PM
arse is universal.

i love t3nn1s
12-13-2009, 01:08 AM
I dont know why, but when this trailer first came out, I thought it was going to be a World of Warcraft movie or something

By the way, whats this movie gonna be about anyway? Why is everyone so excited about it? Juss curious.

David_Is_Right
12-13-2009, 02:46 AM
I think 2012 was always destined to be a steaming pile of Emmerich dung. Avatar at least has a shot of decent-ness...

Bud
12-13-2009, 02:58 AM
arse? arn't you from canada? I believe that word is only used in britian, australia and ireland.

Arse is used here in the US as well :)

some6uy008
12-13-2009, 04:57 AM
looking forward to it

Sentinel
12-13-2009, 05:06 AM
It's used here in India as well, although you'll never catch _me_ using it.

FuriousYellow
12-13-2009, 07:09 AM

A prime example of digital effects gone too far in attempt to make up for bad writing, bad casting, and bad acting.

Danny Glover may have replaced Bill Pullman (Independence Day) for the worst Presidential performance in the history of film.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Looks great for an 8 year old to watch.

35ft6
12-13-2009, 02:01 PM
I think 2012 was always destined to be a steaming pile of Emmerich dung. Avatar at least has a shot of decent-ness...How someone can compare Emmerich to Cameron is beyond me. Cameron is a true cinematic genius. If Cameron or Pete Jackson is directing something, I expect it to be good. Even The Abyss, his most maligned film, had moments that genuinely moved me, and besides being an underrated story, it was a huge technical achievement.

stormholloway
12-13-2009, 05:05 PM

What does Avatar, directed by James Cameron, have to do with 2012? There was no hype for 2012 beyond the film's own promotion. Avatar is getting high praise from critics.

Docalex007
12-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Hey guys,

I put together a video from the World Premiere of Avatar in London which I got to go to... I also got to get up close with most of the cast.

You can see the video edited on You Tube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR2fcUjfV84

A good rating would be nice :) Cheers!

And yes, that's me asking Sam Worthington if he enjoyed making the movie! :)

malakas
12-13-2009, 05:33 PM
jeezz what is michelle rodriguez wearing?!

Docalex007
12-13-2009, 05:39 PM
jeezz what is michelle rodriguez wearing?!

What in my video? She's got on a jacket! She had a dress on underneath. It was freakin' COLD outside!

malakas
12-13-2009, 05:40 PM
What in my video? She's got on a jacket! She had a dress on underneath. It was freakin' COLD outside!

hah that was a dress?It looked..very ugly.:) So..did you get to see the movie and did you like it?

Fedace
12-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Looks like a Kids movie. but i have heard some really bad reviews on this one. If you like special effects then go but they say that is all it has.

Docalex007
12-13-2009, 05:46 PM
hah that was a dress?It looked..very ugly.:) So..did you get to see the movie and did you like it?

The movie was absolutely stunning! I'm no cry baby but I have to admit, I was fighting back tears at least twice. Cameron sure does know how to make the emotions come out. The movie is really touching on a deep level, not just some CGI fest!

Pandora is an amazing world. He really went all out with attention to detail, etc. I watch a lot of movies, but this ranks in my top 5 movies of the decade easily. Right up there with Gladiator... it's THAT good. :)

And no that was not the dress, she's wearing a jacket! The dress you can't see of course!

mental midget
12-13-2009, 05:46 PM
^ It's basically classic hero's myth that Joseph Campbell talks about. It's been told a thousand times and it will be told a thousand more, and when it's done well, it's the most satisfying story possible. Songs and movies, sometimes the best ones are the simplest, just executed incredibly well.

quite possibly the first time someone has invoked the name of joseph campbell on the TT message boards. hero with a thousand faces in the HOUSE.

malakas
12-13-2009, 05:48 PM
The movie was absolutely stunning! I'm no cry baby but I have to admit, I was fighting back tears at least twice. Cameron sure does know how to make the emotions come out. The movie is really touching on a deep level, not just some CGI fest!

Pandora is an amazing world. He really went all out with attention to detail, etc. I watch a lot of movies, but this ranks in my top 5 movies of the decade easily. Right up there with Gladiator... it's THAT good. :)

And no that was not the dress, she's wearing a jacket! The dress you can't see of course!

It somehow didn't seem like the movie that will cause tears?!..but will be worth watching I think.Thanx for the report,though I didn't like Gladiator so much.lol.

Fedace
12-13-2009, 05:50 PM

Critics like roger Ebert say, this is Nothing but the special effect fest. NO story worth seeing in there... and is the Blue people good or bad people ??? and which ones are the bad guys ??

Hot Sauce
12-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Is Vincent Chase in this one?

Docalex007
12-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Critics like roger Ebert say, this is Nothing but the special effect fest. NO story worth seeing in there... and is the Blue people good or bad people ??? and which ones are the bad guys ??

Roger Ebert? Are you serious? The man gave an excellent review of the movie!

""Avatar" is not simply a sensational entertainment, although it is that. It's a technical breakthrough. It has a flat-out Green and anti-war message. It is predestined to launch a cult. It contains such visual detailing that it would reward repeating viewings. It invents a new language, Na'vi, as "Lord of the Rings" did, although mercifully I doubt this one can be spoken by humans, even teenage humans. It creates new movie stars. It is an Event, one of those films you feel you must see to keep up with the conversation."

Link to his review here:

Docalex007
12-13-2009, 06:24 PM
It somehow didn't seem like the movie that will cause tears?!..but will be worth watching I think.Thanx for the report,though I didn't like Gladiator so much.lol.

Are you kidding! How can you not foresee the potential for a strong emotional response from knowing the basic plot of this film????

Unless you really can't grasp the epic-ness of it all, that a man (the hero) would risk his life and existence for what seems to be a lost cause against his own kind, but he does everything in his power to defend what he has come to love.

If you can't see possible emotions coming from that... you're not human. :)

Fedace
12-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Roger Ebert? Are you serious? The man gave an excellent review of the movie!

""Avatar" is not simply a sensational entertainment, although it is that. It's a technical breakthrough. It has a flat-out Green and anti-war message. It is predestined to launch a cult. It contains such visual detailing that it would reward repeating viewings. It invents a new language, Na'vi, as "Lord of the Rings" did, although mercifully I doubt this one can be spoken by humans, even teenage humans. It creates new movie stars. It is an Event, one of those films you feel you must see to keep up with the conversation."

Link to his review here:

Oh sorry, i must have meant Gene Siskel. His partner... anyway is the blue guys bad or good aliens ??

Docalex007
12-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Oh sorry, i must have meant Gene Siskel. His partner... anyway is the blue guys bad or good aliens ??

Not going to give anything away. But from the plot, how can you not guess who the bad and good guys are????

Unless you're all for invading and running out indigenous peoples to claim resources for yourself, then i'm sure you know who you should be pulling for in this movie.

malakas
12-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Are you kidding! How can you not foresee the potential for a strong emotional response from knowing the basic plot of this film????

Unless you really can't grasp the epic-ness of it all, that a man (the hero) would risk his life and existence for what seems to be a lost cause against his own kind, but he does everything in his power to defend what he has come to love.

If you can't see possible emotions coming from that... you're not human. :)

wow jeez thanx.
I have seen this script a thousand times in books,films and all kinds of art so nothing original nothing that will move me especially.If I'm going to be touched by something it won't be the script or the special effects it will be the actor's perfomance.That's why I find it really doubtfull.

Feña14
12-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Is Vincent Chase in this one?

Well there's no Mandy Moore, so there would of been a good chance :)

JohnnyCracker
12-13-2009, 08:17 PM

Gene Siskel? Are you just making up sh1ts? Gene Siskel died 10 years ago.

Fedace
12-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Gene Siskel? Are you just making up sh1ts? Gene Siskel died 10 years ago.

sorry i meant Richard Roper..

Fedace
12-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Not going to give anything away. But from the plot, how can you not guess who the bad and good guys are????

Unless you're all for invading and running out indigenous peoples to claim resources for yourself, then i'm sure you know who you should be pulling for in this movie.

so if the blue guys are the bad guys then why is that one blue guy so friendly with the human and why does humans have all the good tech and blue people are just flying on animals ...:confused:

flyinghippos101
12-13-2009, 08:39 PM

lol even beyond death, Siskel is reviewing movies. Sorry Fedace, but we caught you bullcraping

Docalex007
12-14-2009, 03:08 AM
wow jeez thanx.
I have seen this script a thousand times in books,films and all kinds of art so nothing original nothing that will move me especially.If I'm going to be touched by something it won't be the script or the special effects it will be the actor's perfomance.That's why I find it really doubtfull.

So you need originality to make you emotional? Wow. Good luck trying to find original concepts in films out there, with millions of movies, hardly any films coming out these days have a story line that's different from all previous films.

Either way, Avatar IS original in the details of the plot, like being on a beautiful, mystical alien moon called Pandora, so having the hero turn against his own kind to help the indigenous aliens on their home moon is a rather original concept.

You have to lose yourself in films, malakas. You sound too uptight. I can see a "Gladiator" type film redone over and over again. When a sacrificial hero dies, if it's done well, how can you not tear up? :)

Docalex007
12-14-2009, 03:10 AM
so if the blue guys are the bad guys then why is that one blue guy so friendly with the human and why does humans have all the good tech and blue people are just flying on animals ...:confused:

Are you seriously an idiot? Or being sarcastic? wtf is it with you man...

malakas
12-14-2009, 03:12 AM

nah he's not faking.he's the real deal!!!:D I love this board.

malakas
12-14-2009, 03:22 AM
So you need originality to make you emotional? Wow. Good luck trying to find original concepts in films out there, with millions of movies, hardly any films coming out these days have a story line that's different from all previous films.

Either way, Avatar IS original in the details of the plot, like being on a beautiful, mystical alien moon called Pandora, so having the hero turn against his own kind to help the indigenous aliens on their home moon is a rather original concept.

You have to lose yourself in films, malakas. You sound too uptight. I can see a "Gladiator" type film redone over and over again. When a sacrificial hero dies, if it's done well, how can you not tear up? :)

no no I don't need only originality necessarily.I appreciate originality above almost anything else in films nowadays since the one is a repeat of the previous it seems.And you're right it is very hard to find original films.

What I need to be touched is a movie with great perfomances that leave behind them either a deep meaning or a lasting feeling.I don't care for graphics or sceneries or big productions.I don't care about most of what passes of entertainment today-"movies" just to fill out the time ..I am not entertained by them -I am bored.

I know that that's why cinema is for,to lose ourselves into.But the films have to help I can't do it when it is a yawnfest.

some6uy008
12-14-2009, 09:58 AM

You have never interacted w/ Fedace before......?

r2473
12-14-2009, 10:10 AM

Let me get this straight, you saw a recently made movie that contains something you would classify as actual dialogue?

Now I know you are lying :)

35ft6
12-14-2009, 11:27 AM
no no I don't need only originality necessarily.I appreciate originality above almost anything else in films nowadays since the one is a repeat of the previous it seems.And you're right it is very hard to find original films.There is no originality in films. And maybe I could have said "there's no originality" in plays or religion or novels or cave drawings 500, 1000, 200, or even 10,000 years ago. How "original" you think something is depends on how much exposure you've had to all the art that's been created before it. That's why adults are always getting annoyed with kids liking stuff they think is derivative. Yo, give the 10 yo a break, he hasn't been exposed to as many TV shows, songs, books, paintings, foods, and films as you, he doesn't realize yet it's been done before.

Look, people have been telling the same stories since the dawn of time, but some people do it better than others. Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy tries to get girl back. Boy lives in boring world, evil turns his world upside down, boy saves world. Greed, love, jealousy, revenge... reoccurring themes, too.

And then you have paradoxes like Tarantino who is one of the most original yet plagiarizing film makers out there. Originality is a relative term in this world. Just depends if you're knowledgeable enough to realize history's been repeating itself for a long time now.

35ft6
12-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Are you seriously an idiot? Or being sarcastic? wtf is it with you man...I don't believe Fedace is real for a second. Somebody make a thread of Fedace's greatest posts. When you see it all in one place, you'll realize he's fake. Still funny, though.

malakas
12-14-2009, 11:36 AM
There is no originality in films. And maybe I could have said "there's no originality" in plays or religion or novels or cave drawings 500, 1000, 200, or even 10,000 years ago. How "original" you think something is depends on how much exposure you've had to all the art that's been created before it. That's why adults are always getting annoyed with kids liking stuff they think is derivative. Yo, give the 10 yo a break, he hasn't been exposed to as many TV shows, songs, books, paintings, foods, and films as you, he doesn't realize yet it's been done before.

Look, people have been telling the same stories since the dawn of time, but some people do it better than others. Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy tries to get girl back. Boy lives in boring world, evil turns his world upside down, boy saves world. Greed, love, jealousy, revenge... reoccurring themes, too.

And then you have paradoxes like Tarantino who is one of the most original yet plagiarizing film makers out there. Originality is a relative term in this world. Just depends if you're knowledgeable enough to realize history's been repeating itself for a long time now.

I've never thought it like this,but you're very right.Originality is relative and objective term.Well I guess because then I have read a lot of books I hardly find any script original anymore and rarely very interesting.But yes it's not about the story as much as the storytelling and the actors.It happens that lately even the silly french movies appeal to me more than the typical american superproduction.They're just so much the same to each other.

Fedace
12-14-2009, 11:37 AM
nah he's not faking.he's the real deal!!!:D I love this board.

Malakas,,, is the blue aliens good or bad ? and how do they fight with only animals and arrows as weapons ?? when humans have lasers and photon weapons ??

malakas
12-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Malakas,,, is the blue aliens good or bad ? and how do they fight with only animals and arrows as weapons ?? when humans have lasers and photon weapons ??

Fedace...the truth is that the blue aliens are very evil and they came down to earth to dominate and enslave humans withtheir supertransformer monsters but thank god to myhusband Stepanek humanity is saved.You see who needs lasers and photon weapons when you have the power of the worm?

Fedace
12-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Fedace...the truth is that the blue aliens are very evil and they came down to earth to dominate and enslave humans withtheir supertransformer monsters but thank god to myhusband Stepanek humanity is saved.You see who needs lasers and photon weapons when you have the power of the worm?

i think you have a wrong movie. Worm was in the movie DUNE. not this one. and the entire movie was shot in another galaxy. not on Earth......:confused::confused:

malakas
12-14-2009, 11:44 AM
i think you have a wrong movie. Worm was in the movie DUNE. not this one. and the entire movie was shot in another galaxy. not on Earth......:confused::confused:

no,Dune was another movie with people with blue eyes and witches.This I'm talking about is the real story.Just watch this and see the worm defeat all enemies to save his love ->me. Believe me it's worth every penny to watch it.

Fedace
12-14-2009, 11:46 AM
no,Dune was another movie with people with blue eyes and witches.This I'm talking about is the real story.Just watch this and see the worm defeat all enemies to save his love ->me. Believe me it's worth every penny to watch it.

So Worm is on human side.... How does the blue aliens fight with no weapons ? IN the Trailers, they were using arrows and Griffons ??

malakas
12-14-2009, 11:49 AM
So Worm is on human side.... How does the blue aliens fight with no weapons ? IN the Trailers, they were using arrows and Griffons ??

they have arrows yes,and griffons.They are a primitive race but very powerful more powerful than humans.Except for the worm of course.Just watch the movie godamnit!

Hot Sauce
12-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Then who was phone?

SempreSami
12-14-2009, 01:38 PM
I got to see an advanced screening of Avatar a couple of days ago, unfortunately it did not live up to the hype.
Storyline was long and dragging, and action was too "chaotic" eg. (Batman Begins).

Don't bother wasting your money on this pile of crap. As a matter of fact, this movie makes Toy Story 2 look like a masterpiece.

Big bollocks to that bit about Batman Begins.

I'm more interested in Invictus anyway.

Moose Malloy
12-14-2009, 04:11 PM

Sounds a lot like 'Dances With Wolves'

CanadianChic
12-14-2009, 08:04 PM
What does Avatar, directed by James Cameron, have to do with 2012? There was no hype for 2012 beyond the film's own promotion. Avatar is getting high praise from critics.

Interesting how you always seem to reach out to me with non-issues when you are beginning to miss me. It's been a while since I snuffed out your phone theory of 9/11 so this post comes as no surprise. If you want my body and you think I'm sexy...come on sugar, let me know. Oh...I do amuse myself.

As for your response, perhaps if you read the post again it would clear up the confusion. I was not comparing movies (or directors) - I was discussing the 'hype'. Comprende Stormy?

Blinkism
12-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Sound terrible.

Jim Cameron really dropped the ball on this one.

Unfortunately, no matter how bad it is; it'll sell out theaters because Cameron is just that big of a name and all of the goodwill he's generated from movie lovers and the marketing machine of Hollywood is going to make this a box-office hit.

Fedace
12-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Sound terrible.

Jim Cameron really dropped the ball on this one.

Unfortunately, no matter how bad it is; it'll sell out theaters because Cameron is just that big of a name and all of the goodwill he's generated from movie lovers and the marketing machine of Hollywood is going to make this a box-office hit.

What do you mean ?? I am being told by these guys that Roger Ebert gave it 2 thumbs UP. He is so powerful that review alone will make this a MEGA hit. and he is saying that this will become a legend like Star wars did.....:shock:

stormholloway
12-14-2009, 08:58 PM
no no I don't need only originality necessarily.I appreciate originality above almost anything else in films nowadays since the one is a repeat of the previous it seems.And you're right it is very hard to find original films.

What I need to be touched is a movie with great perfomances that leave behind them either a deep meaning or a lasting feeling.I don't care for graphics or sceneries or big productions.I don't care about most of what passes of entertainment today-"movies" just to fill out the time ..I am not entertained by them -I am bored.

I know that that's why cinema is for,to lose ourselves into.But the films have to help I can't do it when it is a yawnfest.

Look up the definition of prejudice and see if it strikes you in any way. The film isn't even out yet.

malakas
12-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Look up the definition of prejudice and see if it strikes you in any way. The film isn't even out yet.

where did I talk about THIS film in particular in your quote? I was talking generally and I even said that based on Docalex description it sounds interesting and worth watching.

:rolleyes:

stormholloway
12-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Interesting how you always seem to reach out to me with non-issues when you are beginning to miss me. It's been a while since I snuffed out your phone theory of 9/11 so this post comes as no surprise. If you want my body and you think I'm sexy...come on sugar, let me know. Oh...I do amuse myself.

As for your response, perhaps if you read the post again it would clear up the confusion. I was not comparing movies (or directors) - I was discussing the 'hype'. Comprende Stormy?

This is a truly pathetic post. I scrolled down and read through each post and yours was above and beyond the dumbest. Of course you were comparing the movies. The difference is that there was no hype behind 2012. It's called advertising. Hype comes from the people, not from the people who made the movie and/or were paid to promote it.

You're little more than TW's resident bimbo/nimrod.

CanadianChic
12-14-2009, 09:07 PM

This is a truly pathetic post. I scrolled down and read through each post and yours was above and beyond the dumbest. Of course you were comparing the movies. The difference is that there was no hype behind 2012. It's called advertising. Hype comes from the people, not from the people who made the movie and/or were paid to promote it.

Show me the comparison. I stated that the last time I believed the hype of a movie, I was sorely disappointed. I am also aware of the definition of hype. You are the only one who makes any type of comparison, and such a stretch proves my point that you are attempting to gain my attention. Now, I could call you a nutcase, theorist, delusional, paranoid freak who lives in his mother's basement (which is isolated in tin) but...yeah, you deserve it.

Fedace
12-14-2009, 09:09 PM

She can't be a bimbo, storm. I dont' know of any TW member that has slept with canadian chick, including myself. I do agree that there was no hype behind 2012. just as there is no Hype behind this Avatar movie. Most of the people i know are viewing this movie as the KIDS movie. A movie that they can take their Kids to see to shut them up......:)

CanadianChic
12-14-2009, 09:11 PM
She can't be a bimbo, storm. I dont' know of any TW member that has slept with canadian chick, including myself. I do agree that there was no hype behind 2012. just as there is no Hype behind this Avatar movie. Most of the people i know are viewing this movie as the KIDS movie. A movie that they can take their Kids to see to shut them up......:)

Thank you Fedace. What Storm lacks in humour he overcompensates in inappropriate insults. :)

Blinkism
12-14-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm with CanadianChic on the whole hype issue.

A good flick has a shelf life of more than a few box office weekends, so the true measure of a film's "watchability" is whether or not it's still being talked about a month or so later .

Personally, I'll be waiting out the hype for this flick until the new year. If it's still talked about positively at that point, then i'll check it out.

Way too many people get sucked into the "opening week/weekend" mentality and I, for one, am tired of walking out of the theater frustrated at being sapped into it.

leeroy85
12-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Gonna predict this movie is going to flop. Does not capture wide enough audience and will not cause repeat viewings like Titanic.

Fedace
12-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Gonna predict this movie is going to flop. Does not capture wide enough audience and will not cause repeat viewings like Titanic.

You can't compare a LOVE story like Titanic to the Kids Scifi flic like Avatar...:)

malakas
12-14-2009, 09:33 PM
She can't be a bimbo, storm. I dont' know of any TW member that has slept with canadian chick, including myself.

she hasn't slept with you yet???:shock: can't believe this!:-?

Hot Sauce
12-14-2009, 09:39 PM

Now you know one.

AYYOHHHHH!

35ft6
12-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Gonna predict this movie is going to flop. Does not capture wide enough audience and will not cause repeat viewings like Titanic.I predict it's going to be huge. Major repeat viewings. We don't have to argue over this, simply wait a couple of months. I'll definitely bump this back up then.

People are upset that people actually "hype" up movies? What are they supposed to do when they spend tens of millions on a product, not get the word out and ensure a financial loss? This movie cost anywhere from 300 to 400 million depending on who you believe, so a huge advertising budget is normal. That's how businesses are run.

What is UNUSUAL is how many sneak previews Cameron has been giving. The 15 minute one I went to was full of industry people and tons of media outlets. Some of the biggest haters and toughest critics around. The people I went with, all horror and sci fi screenwriters with credits, and I, personally, was almost not going to go. I had seen trailers on TV and I was disappointed. I thought it looked like an ad for a video game.

I was completely blown away, and everybody I was with more or less were won over. The 3D part was the critical element I was missing from my TV. It's absolutely stunning. One should definitely go see it on a real IMAX 3D screen, and by "real" I mean the giant screens. A lot of IMAX advertised movies are on regular screens. I believe there might be legal action taken against them for this, but anyway... if there's a little bit of kid in you at all, highly recommended. It's going to be a visual feast.

So back to my point of how unusual this is. When a movie is going to be a turkey or disappoint, they don't invite the biggest nerds and haters to come get a sneak peak so they can blog about how much it disappointed months before its release. This simply isn't done. And I can't remember the last time a movie did something like this to this extent.

It's going to be huge.

stormholloway
12-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Roger Ebert compared it to Star Wars. Is it going to flop? Umm, no.

Fedace
12-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Roger Ebert compared it to Star Wars. Is it going to flop? Umm, no.

I agree, Roger Ebert can make or break a movie. He is that powerful. There is a gossip in holliwood that Roger was offered favors by actresses to give certain movies good reviews.....:)

leeroy85
12-15-2009, 08:07 PM
I enjoy James Cam movies, but this movie costed what 300 million. Don't think this movie captures teenage girls interest so that they will not go see it many times to make up the 300 million. But i do think it will be a good movie.

Fedace
12-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Very Nice Trailer on "History Channel" now. Sigoney Weaver is in the Movie. Can't go wrong with her in it. Yea, it does look like these Blue people are pretty hard to kill.... and this Human falls for the Blue alien Girl........who would have figure that .........................lol

35ft6
12-15-2009, 08:15 PM
I enjoy James Cam movies, but this movie costed what 300 million. Don't think this movie captures teenage girls interest so that they will not go see it many times to make up the 300 million. But i do think it will be a good movie.If you mean it's not going to generate Titanic or Twilight levels of teenaged female devotion, probably right. But I do think it has unusually high appeal for girls and boys. You know that girls come out in greater numbers for movies like Saw than guys? It's weird. Girl movie goers are becoming more unpredictable, it's not just romance any more, and the hero of this movie is a chick, so who knows...

AAAA
12-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Is Avatar a film version of people playing an online RPG (MMORH?)?

35ft6
12-15-2009, 08:38 PM
^ No. It's based on a script Cameron wrote like 15 years ago. Not sure about how many years. A long time ago.

stormholloway
12-16-2009, 07:43 AM
I enjoy James Cam movies, but this movie costed what 300 million. Don't think this movie captures teenage girls interest so that they will not go see it many times to make up the 300 million. But i do think it will be a good movie.

If you look at the highest grossing films of all time, they are overwhelmingly sci-fi/fantasy oriented films.

cucio
12-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Sounds a lot like 'Dances With Wolves'

Right in one, and far, far beyond. To mention a couple of quick associations, you can trace the basic plot elements to Romeo and Juliet, or different religion convert stories, like St. Paul's in the Bible.

I had some hilarious conversations with some friends when The Matrix was premiered about the sheer novelty of the concepts explored there, which had them dumbfounded in their epistemological depth. At least we got to discuss Plato, Descartes, Stanislaw Lem...

Few people realize, but the real tear jerker, or a big part of it, is the friggin' soundtrack. Through countless movies and shows we have been pavlovianly conditioned to jump through the emotional hoops at the sound of the damn violins like good puppies.

AAAA
12-16-2009, 09:25 AM
^ No. It's based on a script Cameron wrote like 15 years ago. Not sure about how many years. A long time ago.

It has similarities though in terms of concept, from one review I read

-------------------------------
To facilitate their work, the humans use a link system that projects a person’s consciousness into a hybrid of humans and Pandora’s indigenous humanoid race, the Na’vi. This human-Na’vi hybrid – a fully living, breathing body that resembles the Na’vi but possesses the individual human’s thoughts, feelings and personality – is known as an “Avatar.”
----------------------------------------

People in one reality being 'projected' into another reality where the alter-ego has capabilities they didn't have in their normal real world. This isn't a negative, just a similarity I see in my mind. If it any good it will surprise me like Backdraft. A film about firemen just didn't seem interesting on the surface but...

AAAA
12-16-2009, 09:27 AM
Way too many people get sucked into the "opening week/weekend" mentality and I, for one, am tired of walking out of the theater frustrated at being sapped into it.

I wait for the DVD. More comfortable at home plus I can pause the film for breaks.

GRANITECHIEF
12-16-2009, 09:31 AM
The 3D isn't quite as good at home but i see your point.

AAAA
12-16-2009, 09:44 AM
The 3D isn't quite as good at home but i see your point.

Going to the cinema is more of an evening out with friends for me, grabbing a meal and movie in either order. I've watched some cr&ppy films in Cinemas just to have a night out with friends.

dParis
12-16-2009, 11:08 AM
-------------------------------
To facilitate their work, the humans use a link system that projects a person’s consciousness into a hybrid of humans and Pandora’s indigenous humanoid race, the Na’vi. This human-Na’vi hybrid – a fully living, breathing body that resembles the Na’vi but possesses the individual human’s thoughts, feelings and personality – is known as an “Avatar.”
----------------------------------------

I hope Jar Jar Binks isn't in this movie.

AAAA
12-16-2009, 11:50 AM

It think Lucas purposefully made it bad to attract extra publicity from the die hard fans of the 3 films made first.

Mansewerz
12-16-2009, 01:53 PM
What is revolutionary about this film? And is it pg-13?

TahoeTennis
12-16-2009, 02:11 PM
What is revolutionary about this film? And is it pg-13?

Yes it is Pg-13 and it is revolutionary in that this movie will take you to another planet, LITERALLY. :)

here's a great article on how Avatar happened:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-Avatar-Happened-Lightcycles-And-Giant-Lizards-On-The-Path-To-Innovation-16162.html

Steffi-forever
12-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Great reviews! http://apps.metacritic.com/film/titles/avatar

TahoeTennis
12-18-2009, 08:09 AM
after a midnight screening, I can say that Avatar is:

the best movie of the year. Perhaps the decade. I haven't been that impressed with a movie in the theater since the Matrix in 1999, and if you thought bullet time was amazing Avatar will blow you away.

The best part about it though is that despite all the amazing effects, without a good story/characters none of that would matter. I'm happy to say that I was engrossed and enchanted with both, and it was even better than I hoped. (and I did have great expectations)

rating: 5/5 stars thumbs up! going to see again tonight.

GRANITECHIEF
12-18-2009, 08:58 AM
Very cool hearing this kind of feedback. Get's me pumped, more pumped up that is, for the show as i'm seeing it tonite.

@ TahoeTennis, so are you hanging up the rackets till May and have you gotten in any days at the resorts, ie Heavenly?

TahoeTennis
12-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Very cool hearing this kind of feedback. Get's me pumped, more pumped up that is, for the show as i'm seeing it tonite.

@ TahoeTennis, so are you hanging up the rackets till May and have you gotten in any days at the resorts, ie Heavenly?

Have about 10 days at Heavenly already. Definitely one of the best, and earliest openings ever. I used to be a snowboard instructor there so I know the mountain inside and out. I'm still hoping to play some tennis down in Carson City/Reno once the snow starts melting down there. You in the area?

Fedace
12-18-2009, 06:39 PM
after a midnight screening, I can say that Avatar is:

the best movie of the year. Perhaps the decade. I haven't been that impressed with a movie in the theater since the Matrix in 1999, and if you thought bullet time was amazing Avatar will blow you away.

The best part about it though is that despite all the amazing effects, without a good story/characters none of that would matter. I'm happy to say that I was engrossed and enchanted with both, and it was even better than I hoped. (and I did have great expectations)

rating: 5/5 stars thumbs up! going to see again tonight.

I was told there was NO story or plot. Just all special effects and that is IT. are you saying otherwise ? and it seems like the special effects are nothing special.... mostly looks like digital effects that we have seen before.......:-?

Fedace
12-18-2009, 06:42 PM

Isn't Jar Jar,, a water creature ?

35ft6
12-18-2009, 07:00 PM
deleted... going to see it with my family.

Mansewerz
12-18-2009, 07:09 PM
I was told there was NO story or plot. Just all special effects and that is IT. are you saying otherwise ? and it seems like the special effects are nothing special.... mostly looks like digital effects that we have seen before.......:-?

Actually, it's very similar to Dances with Wolves from what i've heard.

Never watched Dances with wolves, but the book was fantastic!

Fedace
12-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Actually, it's very similar to Dances with Wolves from what i've heard.

Never watched Dances with wolves, but the book was fantastic!

Dances with the wolves sucked big time..

ttbrowne
12-18-2009, 07:27 PM
A buddy of mine said it was the cartoon version of Last of the Mohicans.

jmverdugo
12-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Yes it has similarities with Dances with Wolves, The last of the Mohicans and The Last Samurai but is really worth to see it, REALLY. It is a very good movie. IMHO.

Duzza
12-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Coming from one of the least biggest fans of Sci-Fi imaginative big-production films, I saw this film on opening night and I have to say it was unbelievable. All my friends loved it, and I think it's the best film I've seen in the past 2-3 years (of which I loved The Dark Knight, Slumdog, Gran Torino).

Everybody should go and see this movie!

Duzza
12-18-2009, 08:55 PM
And I have heard from my girlfriend (since I actually never saw it) it has a very similar plot to "Pocahontas":

"In the "New World", Pocahontas, Chief Powhatan's daughter, learns that her father wants her to marry Kocoum, one of his finest warriors, but a bitter and serious man. Pocahontas does not want this marriage, and asks the advice from a talking tree spirit named Grandmother Willow. Grandmother Willow tells Pocahontas to listen to her heart."

sh@de
12-18-2009, 09:42 PM
Watched it yesterday and I have to say it was a briiillliant movie. Haven't enjoyed a movie that much in quite a while. Plot wasn't the most exceptional part of the movie, but it was still quite good. What made the film outstanding was the way everything just blended together so naturally. There was this majestic quality to it, and the 3D effects were done superbly. A must watch film if you ask me.

dParis
12-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Isn't Jar Jar,, a water creature ?
More like an amphibian. Maybe you are thinking of his penchant for water sports? :neutral:

sk8ing
12-18-2009, 11:30 PM
Just saw the movie. Words cannot describe the brillance and amazement! That was the most amazing 3 hours of my life! It is the most spectacular movie I have ever seen! I can't wait to see it again! A must see!

sk8ing
12-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Forgot to add that it had the best plot ever. Special effects were also quite good.

Fedace
12-19-2009, 04:55 AM
Forgot to add that it had the best plot ever. Special effects were also quite good.

What plot is there ?? bad guys lose and good guys win... same old same old:???:

Andres
12-19-2009, 06:35 AM
Then who was phone?
Bricks shall be shat.

smack that
12-19-2009, 08:22 AM
this movie was the *****!

sk8ing
12-19-2009, 11:45 AM
What plot is there ?? bad guys lose and good guys win... same old same old:???:

Of course. All movies have poetic justice. But the way they did it was perfect! In your heart you knew the good guys would win. But you were really having doubts wen they were retreating with a massive bomber 1 click away from it's target. Amazing movie. Go see it then argue about the plot

David_Is_Right
12-19-2009, 11:54 AM
I've not seen it yet, but the consensus (http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/) seems to be that it's an dazzling film that's a little hollow in the middle. Just as expected all along.

35ft6
12-19-2009, 01:51 PM
What plot is there ?? bad guys lose and good guys win... same old same old:???:What are some of your favorite movies?

Fedace
12-19-2009, 09:09 PM
What are some of your favorite movies?

Wimbledon, Out of Africa, agent zero.

Mansewerz
12-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Wow, saw it tonight!!!!

It's hard to explain why it's revolutionary in words. You have to see it. Cameron has blended animation with live action film, and he has done the animation so well, you forget that it's animated.

It looks very real. Depth perception!!! You feel in the movie.

One person that came with us is afraid of heights, and his palms were sweating during the scenes shot at great heights (animated scenes, not live action!).

This film was revolutionary. Turns out Cameron used new camera techniques that allowed him to shoot highly detail facial structures for the animated figures. Also, he could shoot animation in real time so that he could direct the scenes the way he wanted while still being able to see how it would look on the screen.

The animation felt real. I wanted to jump into the landscape. And we didn't even see it in 3D.

Feel free to elaborate or correct my mistakes on Cameron's methods.

35ft6
12-19-2009, 10:30 PM
The animation felt real. I wanted to jump into the landscape. And we didn't even see it in 3D.Despite your glowing review, go see it in 3D!!!!! To me, it went from looking like a video game to something cathartic. Imax if possible.

Mansewerz
12-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Despite your glowing review, go see it in 3D!!!!! To me, it went from looking like a video game to something cathartic. Imax if possible.

I'm really tempted! I'd much rather watch this in 3D than rewatch the Dark Knight (like many people did).

I'm not really one of those people that is so awed by movies that I rewatch while it's in theatres. (unless i'm going with different people, etc). I might just have to with this movie for the 3D

Teamtomo
12-20-2009, 12:10 AM
In 3D this film was amazing, saw it a few days ago.

JohnnyCracker
12-20-2009, 12:37 AM
The only way this movie should be seen is in IMAX 3D. The special effect and 3D are very well done. That's pretty much the only good part about this movie. The plot is a rehashed one that has been done many times before. I felt like I was watching Pocahontas, Dance With Wolf, The Mission, and The Last Samurai. In fact, it IS the futuristic Pocahontas that takes place on another world. A world heavily inspired by the worlds of Lords of the Rings and King Kong (Peter Jackson.) The ending is very predictable. The tone of the movie is very heavy-handed. This is one of those typical movies made by one of those typical guilt-plagued white guys. The cast is weak with bad acting. The dialogue is mediocre at best and down right sh1tty at times.

If good plot, good directing, good acting, and intelligent dialogue are important to you, this movie is definitely not for you. I find myself thinking several times during the movie "They spent 15 years to come up with this? A plot that has ZERO originality and such sh1tty dialogue? Fifteen years, really?" I really enjoyed the 3D and special effect on IMAX but still walked out of the theater feeling like I just saw a bad movie. The bottom line is: I will NOT see it again and I will NOT buy it when it come out on Blu-ray or DVD.

Mig1NC
12-20-2009, 02:12 AM
I just saw it in a regular theater, but it was in 3D.

I was very impressed, though the ending was a little predictable it was truly spectacular and anyone who enjoys good Sci-Fi or action movies should definately see this.

Question for you who have seen it in iMax. Do you think it is worth paying double to see it in iMax as opposed to a regular digital theater, even if the regular show is in 3D?

i love t3nn1s
12-20-2009, 04:26 AM
This movie was crap. the only good thing about it was graphics
Luckily I went with a group that payed for the tickets
Oh ya. The popcorn was great too

By the way. WTF was up with the wierd *** noises and dance those blue peopledid?

Too bad all that money had to be spent on another stupid overhyped 3 hour piece of crap that had nothing to show for except graphics

Mansewerz
12-20-2009, 10:43 AM
So overhyped that it got A- on Yahoo movies......

SFrazeur
12-20-2009, 01:00 PM
The Spoony One hated it: Vlog 12-19-09: Avatar (http://spoonyexperiment.com/2009/12/20/vlog-12-19-09-avatar/)

-SF

Fedace
12-20-2009, 06:01 PM
The Spoony One hated it: Vlog 12-19-09: Avatar (http://spoonyexperiment.com/2009/12/20/vlog-12-19-09-avatar/)

-SF

somehow, i think Spoony isn't exactly the most enfluential critics in the states ..:???:

BajeDuane
12-20-2009, 07:13 PM
I saw it a couple days ago in IMAX 3D. Honestly after watching that, I would watch it again, but I do not think I could see it unless it was in 3D.
It was simply visually stunning. Cameron has just set the bar really high.

35ft6
12-20-2009, 07:20 PM
So overhyped that it got A- on Yahoo movies......A- from critics. A from other Yahoo! users.

SFrazeur
12-20-2009, 07:34 PM
somehow, i think Spoony isn't exactly the most enfluential critics in the states ..:???:

You have a point? What do you mean by influential? Are your speaking of fan base? How does having more influence, a larger audience, give more validity to someone's opinion? That ideal is shallow and superficial.

-SF

JohnnyCracker
12-20-2009, 10:01 PM
I just saw it in a regular theater, but it was in 3D.

I was very impressed, though the ending was a little predictable it was truly spectacular and anyone who enjoys good Sci-Fi or action movies should definately see this.

Question for you who have seen it in iMax. Do you think it is worth paying double to see it in iMax as opposed to a regular digital theater, even if the regular show is in 3D?

Yes, it is well-worthed. Once you've seen movies on IMAX you won't want to see movie on regular screen anymore. Especially, IMAX 3D. Although, I paid $12.50 for my ticket. Not bad at all.

MordredSJT
12-20-2009, 10:32 PM
I saw it in a regular theater, no 3d...it was still visually impressive to me. The character animation and the terrain that was computer generated was obviously a level above anything else that has come before it.

On the other hand...it was a total crap movie. I am not a film snob by any means, but I do watch my fair share of movies. I knew exactly what was going to happen about ten minutes ahead of time through the whole movie. I found myself not caring at all about the story or the characters. It was totally forgettable and I don't feel the need to see it again. Hopefully someone takes the technology that was created here and makes a good movie with it.

I did think several times through the movie...this sucks, but it could be a pretty good video game...

CanadianChic
12-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Decisions, decisions, decisions. My sister and I are going to catch a movie later in the week and I can't choose between Avatar (I'm still not holding my breath on this one), New Moon, Invictus (my first choice even though it is about fools' ball) or A Christmas Carol. The others aren't even worth consideration for the big screen IMO. I'll let her decide.

jmverdugo
12-21-2009, 05:00 AM
CC, IMO it is up to what type of movie do you want to see, if you want to feel inspired go for Invictus, if you want to see the same old story but very well directed and with amazing effects go see Avatar if you want to have a fun time go for the Carol and if you want to get bored go for New Moon.

GRANITECHIEF
12-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Have about 10 days at Heavenly already. Definitely one of the best, and earliest openings ever. I used to be a snowboard instructor there so I know the mountain inside and out. I'm still hoping to play some tennis down in Carson City/Reno once the snow starts melting down there. You in the area?

Saw Avatar last Friday night. I thoroughly enjoyed it, was completely captivated by the whole package, incl story acting graphics action etc. Highly recommended.

@Tahoetennis. I used to be a snowboard instructor at Squaw for 5 seasons starting 96/97, year of the big flood, so i know what you mean about being familiar with the terrain. Still have a place in Tahoe City and head up as much as possible. I used to play tennis indoor at the Reno Hilton, but they got rid of the courts.

Neil Peart
12-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Coming from one of the least biggest fans of Sci-Fi imaginative big-production films, I saw this film on opening night and I have to say it was unbelievable. All my friends loved it, and I think it's the best film I've seen in the past 2-3 years (of which I loved The Dark Knight, Slumdog, Gran Torino).

Everybody should go and see this movie!

The Dark Knight is a fraud.

Garbage.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
12-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Dances with Smurfs.

I think most the board members identify with this mess, and not not just in the 'sci-fi-movie geek" manner of most posters, but because they seem to "communicate" thru the same orifice as the movie charecters, (sans cables, of course).

ttbrowne
12-21-2009, 01:49 PM

-SF

Ouch!

The magical inhabitants of a rainforest fight to save their home that is threatened by a polluting force of destruction.

NO! Ferngully!

Netspirit
12-21-2009, 02:03 PM
http://www.geekologie.com/2009/12/19/avatar-spoiler.jpg

cucio
12-21-2009, 02:13 PM
I caught the last 30 min in a crappy internet stream. The acting and the plot are disgraceful. I don't know if I will sit three hours in a theater for just the wowie visual factor, probably not. Spoony's review is spot on, particular their portrayal of the villain.

I'll add that the soundtrack was as cliched as expected too.

If you like that kind of plots and want to see what real actors look like go watch "A Man Called Horse", 1970.

Netspirit
12-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Who cares about the plot. It's a tale, and visually it's something you've never experienced before (especially if you watch it in IMAX or RealD).

35ft6
12-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Probably my favorite movie of the decade. Wow. Loved it. At parts like watching a National Geographic of an alien world. Gorgeous. And I loved the story.

Anthony Bourdain has a term called fine dining fatigue. He insists street food and dinner cooked by the local legend, usually a grandmother, is better than fancy schmancy places. I feel that way about this story. You want something complicated, go see an independent movie about a female spy who turns out to be a double agent with a penis working for the ghost of an alien directed by a hipster who wears vintage sneakers and has an ironic beard. I'll take simple stories executed to perfection any day. James Cameron has cemented his place as a cinematic immortal. I can't quite understand how this movie was made. The computational logistics is mind blowing.

Fedace
12-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Probably my favorite movie of the decade. Wow. Loved it. At parts like watching a National Geographic of an alien world. Gorgeous. And I loved the story.

Anthony Bourdain has a term called fine dining fatigue. He insists street food and dinner cooked by the local legend, usually a grandmother, is better than fancy schmancy places. I feel that way about this story. You want something complicated, go see an independent movie about a female spy who turns out to be a double agent with a penis working for the ghost of an alien directed by a hipster who wears vintage sneakers and has an ironic beard. I'll take simple stories executed to perfection any day. James Cameron has cemented his place as a cinematic immortal. I can't quite understand how this movie was made. The computational logistics is mind blowing.

but what about the new spaceships and weapons ? Aren't these old tiredsome same old same old weapons... ?

35ft6
12-21-2009, 04:18 PM
^ I don't go to movies to see new spaceships and weapons... do you? If so, you should skip Avatar. Actually, skip Avatar, Fedace. Sounds like the kind of movie you will hate.

Fedace
12-21-2009, 04:22 PM
^ I don't go to movies to see new spaceships and weapons... do you? If so, you should skip Avatar. Actually, skip Avatar, Fedace. Sounds like the kind of movie you will hate.

and what about alien love making. ?? That will get me to go see it for sure..........:)

Netspirit
12-21-2009, 06:15 PM
^ You're not getting much of that either.

Avatar 3D is a total escape from reality. It's like a legal shot of LSD for $15 only.

Fedace
12-21-2009, 06:21 PM
:)^ You're not getting much of that either.

Avatar 3D is a total escape from reality. It's like a legal shot of LSD for $15 only.

Now think about it. Only if Hugh Heffner gets hold of this Tech......All hell could break lose.....:)

Mansewerz
12-21-2009, 09:05 PM

I agree. It seems that lately too many people are looking to go for the next big thing, something unique. Why not the traditional hero story done right?

Mansewerz
12-21-2009, 09:06 PM
:)

Now think about it. Only if Hugh Heffner gets hold of this Tech......All hell could break lose.....:)

Not hell! Heaven :D

tursafinov
12-21-2009, 09:30 PM
I love this movie and I have saved mine and my friends' 3D glasses with the ticket stubbs for souvenirs. Just watch it so you can understand that it's amazing we have the technology now to make this movie possible...not only that but I'm 21 and that should mean (fingers crossed) I have decades more to see movies like this get even better! You can think ahead of the plot the whole way through, but it doesn't matter. just empty your head and let it envelop you. I almost cried, i wish the tears actually came. The most basic plot line, if fleshed out with enough feeling can do that to you. It's a modern day Romeo and Juliet, literally star-crossed lovers, who prove to be a sin on both their houses. It does have a terrific depth and I will see it again.
~Tursa

35ft6
12-21-2009, 09:36 PM
^ I gave back the 3D glasses because it was free and I figured if I took it the way my dad wanted to, somewhere down the road, perhaps very quickly, they would charge people for it.and what about alien love making. ?? That will get me to go see it for sure..........:)It's pretty good but not as good as the deleted scene in Star Wars where Han Solo gets drunk and shaves Chewbacca.

YULitle
12-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Just saw Avatar. I haven't been this thrilled about a movie since the first Matrix. It's simply stunning. Wonderful. I hope to see it again in the theater before it leaves.

A+

35ft6
12-21-2009, 09:45 PM
You can think ahead of the plot the whole way through, but it doesn't matter. just empty your head and let it envelop you. I almost cried, i wish the tears actually came.This goes for many great movies. Every love movie is boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy tries to get girl back, boy gets girl back. But there are infinite ways of expressing that basic premise. Same with Avatar. There are so many delightful moments in this movie I could never have predicted in a million years, not sure why people keep saying this movie was predictable as if up until now epics about the battle between good and evil have been split 50/50 in regards to who wins.

Talk about predictable, some great movies have been based on books and actual events. But do movies like Schindler's List... Goodfellas... Breakfast at Tiffany... Frost/Nixon... Fight Club... Jaws... etc... really suck as a result?

It's about the execution.

By the way, I know you liked it Tursaniov. I choked up so many times. Lately, live action movies don't move me at all, it's only cartoons and one CGI film in Avatar that really seem to get to me.

cucio
12-22-2009, 02:53 AM
It's not about snobbery, I am perfectly able to enjoy a good entertainment product and ground-breaking visual gizmos at face value as well as anyone, thank you: things like, at their time, Star Wars, Roger Rabbit, Nightmare Before Christmas or Monsters, Inc are well-rounded products that combine awesome new techniques with good acting and screenplay, always within the mood of the movie. Suspension of disbelief is consistent there.

But the dramatic flow of a story should not be disrupted by WTF moments that jump out of the screen shattering the fourth wall in a thousand pieces. A conspicuous case example: the kiss scene at the end of The Matrix. What. The. Friggin. Heck. Why was that Snow White moment necessary? How does it serve the story? How was it built up? That gratuitous fanservicing piece of syrup for teenage girls yanked me out of the movie and left me thoroughly ****ed off. It was like pouring strawberry jam on a hamburger because, you know, everyone loves strawberry jam and what would any meal be without it.

When you watch a gajillion dollar budget movie and realize that nothing or little of that money has gone to the drama department you cannot help feeling disappointed.

ryangoring
12-22-2009, 05:32 AM
Great movie all around! Now I have to go back and watch it in 3D

35ft6
12-22-2009, 10:47 AM
When you watch a gajillion dollar budget movie and realize that nothing or little of that money has gone to the drama department you cannot help feeling disappointed.Did you see Avatar? The story is great. I'll never get sick of stories like this one if properly executed.

Fedace
12-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Did you see Avatar? The story is great. I'll never get sick of stories like this one if properly executed.

Is the story better than the Star Wars ? cause star wars was mojor predictable. only reason i saw the series was because special effects..

canuckfan
12-23-2009, 06:12 AM

Predictable story, unremarkable acting, ok script...

...and fantastic, thoroughly enjoyable, beautiful visual effects.

This is a movie that MUST be seen in theatres, preferably in 3D. Turn your brain on standby and enjoy it. Not every movie needs to be some deep and meaningful artform.

35ft6
12-23-2009, 07:24 AM
^ You read the script? :) I think it's funny when people comment on the script without having read it (and it happens a lot!!!... often times by professional reviewers who should know better... lot of times I've read scripts and said "this script is awesome, but it's going to be a terrible movie" and was right... for example, Deja Vu and Godsend). So many things can go right or wrong between the time words on paper becomes a finished movie.

Power Player
12-23-2009, 07:45 AM
Let me lay this out before I say what I thought,

1. I hate going to theaters..I am a DVD guy. Much more pleasant for me to have a girl over and have privacy and no losers talking behind us.

2. I think James Cameron is a Dbag and I despise Hollywood films. The stories are always predictable and follow a formula that is instantly predictable and has been done to death.

That being said, I believe this is one of the best movies ever made. Now I saw it in 3D, which I believe is a must, and why I went to the theater to see it. The attention to detail and ability to make the CGI not look like CGI blew my mind. I am not sure how they made this movie to be honest, because you will never see anything as visually stunning. A prior post described it as a legal version of LSD and I would agree 100%. I actually said that when I walked out.

The way Cameron rips off every Hollywood story ever and still makes it work is impressive. The storyline is a complete ripoff of every "blockbuster" made, and many times you will know what is coming, but you won't care. That in itself is no small feat. The last CGI movie I saw in the theater that blew my mind was the lord of the rings series. The 3d of avatar will change movies..there is no doubt in my mind. It is not the cheesy object flying in your face type of 3d...it is the depth it gives the world. It is like you are looking in an aquarium or through a window. It's simply never been done, and you will never see anything like it.

My only negative is it is a little long (I love 3 minute songs and 90 minute movies) but it was worth it. Best movie I have seen in a long time and I am an anti Hollywood Indie/Foreign film type of guy.

It is the new star Wars. I would imagine that this is like what star wars was like when it first came out.

Xenakis
12-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Only seen this in 2D. Impressive CGI and big budget etc but was really rather boring on an emotional level. Like a rollercoaster.

Best American film recently (IMO, obviously), Synecdoche New York. It's about life, death, illness, insignificance, recursion, dreams, time, relationships, desire, power, art, lots of stuff.

General rule of thumb...

Entertainment = distracts from the human condition (a greater meaning/significance, and ultimately, our own mortality)
Art = Confronts the human condition. More effort but ultimately more rewarding.

We need both in the world but if I want entertainment, especially from Hollywood/US films I'll choose comedy as some are pretty good. Burn After Reading was a recent good one, Men Who Stare at Goats less so but still funny in places.

One US film I recommend which is both funny and moving (without going over the line into the sentimental, a rare thing) is Box Of Moon Light, a 90s film that went under the radar at the time but is well worth seeing (John Turturro and Sam Rockwell are in it.)

I won't be watching Avatar again, well, perhaps I'll watch a bit of it some years in the future when it's on TV at Christmas and I've eaten or drunk too much and can't be bothered to do anything else (I think they should include this final paragraph as a quote on the DVD box.)

LiveForever
12-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Saw it today in 3D. Breathtaking graphics and artwork but the movie was so overrated. The story was so predictable and there was a fair bit of cheese thrown in as well. The last 30 mins were so hilariously cliche.

LiveForever
12-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Well said,Cucio. I share those sentiments.

Xenakis
12-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Oh and also, the soundtrack was utter, utter *****e. Like Karl Jenkins on a bad day, which is really saying something.

dave333
12-23-2009, 07:09 PM
3D vs. 3D Imax? 3D is only around 30 minutes away, whereas 3D Imax is much farther, more than an hour away, and I'm not sure whether its worth all that extra time.

sh@de
12-23-2009, 11:50 PM
I only watched it in 3D... how good is 3D Imax actually?

fps
12-24-2009, 10:14 AM
this was without doubt one of the most simplistic, clichéd, patronising, pompous, poorly scripted, boring films i've ever had the misfortune to sit through.

the visuals and 3d were good though.

LiveForever
12-24-2009, 10:41 AM
this was without doubt one of the most simplistic, clichéd, patronising, pompous, poorly scripted, boring films i've ever had the misfortune to sit through.

the visuals and 3d were good though.

+1

10 char.

OroDeSantoro
12-26-2009, 04:37 PM
why'd you say "believe the hype" in the title if you haven't seen it yet?
If it was to trick me, it worked

OroDeSantoro
12-26-2009, 04:43 PM
I love this movie and I have saved mine and my friends' 3D glasses with the ticket stubbs for souvenirs. Just watch it so you can understand that it's amazing we have the technology now to make this movie possible...not only that but I'm 21 and that should mean (fingers crossed) I have decades more to see movies like this get even better! You can think ahead of the plot the whole way through, but it doesn't matter. just empty your head and let it envelop you. I almost cried, i wish the tears actually came. The most basic plot line, if fleshed out with enough feeling can do that to you. It's a modern day Romeo and Juliet, literally star-crossed lovers, who prove to be a sin on both their houses. It does have a terrific depth and I will see it again.
~Tursa

Haha, you convinced me not to see it...
"terrific depth", but... "You can think ahead of the plot the whole way through, but it doesn't matter. just empty your head and let it envelop you."
... the contradiction is obvious

teto29
12-27-2009, 01:29 AM
Beautiful movie with amazing cgi effects and sounds, this movie will be revolutionary.... Just watch. It absolutely blew my mind and was nothing short of breathtaking

TennisandMusic
12-27-2009, 03:07 AM
I find it pretty sad people can like movies this like. It was absolutely terrible from a story, character, and filmmaking perspective. Great effects? Sure. But who cares? That kinda stuff sold me when I was 15, but at 29 this movie is basically much ado about nothing. A complete waste of money, both in terms of my ticket, and the money spent making it.

To those who liked it, what redeeming value do you see in it? Where are the characters, the development, the story telling? I do not accept "visual effects" as any kind of supporting argument, because soon enough 3D movies will be passe, and the effects will be trumped. What are you left with then? A pathetic shell of a movie really.

I just don't get it. How can ANYONE with a modicum of intelligence like this film?

LiveForever
12-27-2009, 10:22 AM
I find it pretty sad people can like movies this like. It was absolutely terrible from a story, character, and filmmaking perspective. Great effects? Sure. But who cares? That kinda stuff sold me when I was 15, but at 29 this movie is basically much ado about nothing. A complete waste of money, both in terms of my ticket, and the money spent making it.

To those who liked it, what redeeming value do you see in it? Where are the characters, the development, the story telling? I do not accept "visual effects" as any kind of supporting argument, because soon enough 3D movies will be passe, and the effects will be trumped. What are you left with then? A pathetic shell of a movie really.

I just don't get it. How can ANYONE with a modicum of intelligence like this film?
There is something seriously wrong with you if you think that everyone should see this movie in the same way as you do. I am sure there were people with much higher intelligence than you who enjoyed this movie.

Hey, I hated this movie as well but I didnt come here and call people out for liking it. Movie taste is completely subjective.

Fedace
12-27-2009, 10:27 AM

don't tell that to James Camaran. He may curse you out....lol:)

okdude1992
12-27-2009, 11:59 AM
This was an amazing movie. I've seen it twice. And the visual effects alone are more than enough reason to like it! Sure the storyline isn't the greatest, but its not terrible either. In short, go see it and you will be mind blown

Mansewerz
12-27-2009, 05:44 PM

Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't you the one in General Pro section always touting the benefits of freedom/difference of opinion?

SFrazeur
12-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Ouch!

The magical inhabitants of a rainforest fight to save their home that is threatened by a polluting force of destruction.

NO! Ferngully!

The greatest possible insult to inviromentalist propaganda, activist, entertainment film making.

-SF

35ft6
12-27-2009, 06:28 PM
I find it pretty sad people can like movies this like. It was absolutely terrible from a story, character, and filmmaking perspective.I don't think you can find anybody who actually makes a living in TV or film publicly or privately say that Cameron is anything less than a master film maker. Avatar is the film of a master. You can still hate it, though. I hate a lot of films... books... songs... paintings... etc... that I know are near masterpieces.

Wow. Great art makes people love and hate and discuss. That's the difference between great art and mediocre crap, by the range of passionate reactions. Maybe the ambivalent people simply aren't posting but the people here seem to either love it or hate it.

BorisBeckerFan
12-27-2009, 06:35 PM
I don't think you can find anybody who actually makes a living in TV or film publicly or privately say that Cameron is anything less than a master film maker. Avatar is the film of a master. You can still hate it, though. I hate a lot of films... books... songs... paintings... etc... that I know are near masterpieces.

Wow. Great art makes people love and hate and discuss. That's the difference between great art and mediocre crap, by the range of passionate reactions. Maybe the ambivalent people simply aren't posting but the people here seem to either love it or hate it.

There are few whose work is more loathed and loved than Britney Spears but I don't really think of her as great artist. She has a horde of both lovers and haters. Does that make her music art?

President
12-27-2009, 07:12 PM

I felt pretty connected to the main character and his struggles from the very beginning. But the best thing was the feeling of total immersion in the movie due to the amazing effects. The final battle scene had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

raiden031
12-27-2009, 07:26 PM

This is enough to keep me from seeing this movie. I have felt the same way about practically every movie I've watched in the past 15 years. I have watched more good movies on IFC (Independent Film Channel) and even Lifetime than whats been coming out in theatres.

JoelDali
12-27-2009, 07:27 PM

Dark Knight
Matrix

The list goes on...... :)

raiden031
12-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Dark Knight
Matrix

Matrix had a great story.

ollinger
12-27-2009, 07:32 PM
A dazzling but boring movie, no characters of any real interest. I actually enjoyed the Clooney movie more this weekend, as it had characters that stimulated some thought and wasn't as predictable as I'd expected. To me, Avatar is interesting mainly in that it is another step along the road to the day when Hollywood can completely replace real actors with (cheaper and more dependable) digital creations.

SFrazeur
12-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Matrix had a great story.

It was just a cookie cutter of the "Monomyth" and all that Joseph Campbell stuff.

-SF

T1000
12-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Dark Knight
Matrix

Dark Knight is the most overrated movie of all time because Ledger died before it came out. It sounds horrible but almost everyone I've talked too agrees with this. Avatar was great btw, definitely going to see it in IMAX next.

dave333
12-27-2009, 08:16 PM
I don't think the Dark Knight is overrated at all. Then again, I watched it after reading Heart of Darkness, The Stranger, jekyll/hyde, so I appreciated the moral ambiguity that is the main theme of the movie.

Fedace
12-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Dark Knight is the most overrated movie of all time because Ledger died before it came out. It sounds horrible but almost everyone I've talked too agrees with this. Avatar was great btw, definitely going to see it in IMAX next.

Agree,,, total trash. very little special effects and way too much talking...:???:

rommil
12-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Agree,,, total trash. very little special effects and way too much talking...:???:

A bit like you.....lol

rommil
12-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Saw Avatar in 3D, ok story but the effects and graphics was more than enough to justify for the admission fee.

rommil
12-27-2009, 10:13 PM

Nah. Regardless if Heath died or not, he did an awesome job with his acting in that film. It's a matter of personal choice clearly but what made the Dark Knight interesting was the tone of the movie which to me was more appealing than the other past Batman movies excluding Batman Begins which I thought was the other better one.

CanadianChic
12-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Saw Invictus tonight and it was an excellent movie. I highly recommend it and it has my vote for an Oscar.

35ft6
12-28-2009, 12:43 AM
There are few whose work is more loathed and loved than Britney Spears but I don't really think of her as great artist. She has a horde of both lovers and haters. Does that make her music art?Fair point. I'm not saying everything and anything that evokes a wide range of emphatic responses is art, but I do think in this case it might apply. Might. Maybe it's more correct to say that most artist prefer somebody to respond passionately to their work, whether it be hate or love, and the worst reaction possible is no reaction at all.

I'm actually surprised people here are not going to see it based on what somebody posted on a message board. I don't think 90% of the stuff posted here about tennis is reliable, let alone thoughts on politics, music, movies, etc.

Anyway, still has an A average from 20,000 Yahoo! users. It's funny that Britney Spears is brought up. I actually think a lot of her songs are pop gems. I'm pretty sure my song writer friends I hung out with when I was an audio engineer for a brief spell would agree. Even if her music is not your thing, many of her songs are incredibly well crafted pop. Likewise, even if you end up disappointed by the intellectual depth of this movie (not sure why people expected deep philosophical thoughts from this movie... or from any 3D action movie but different strokes I suppose...) there's no denying this movie is an incredible achievement on several levels.

Fedace
12-28-2009, 02:45 AM
Saw Invictus tonight and it was an excellent movie. I highly recommend it and it has my vote for an Oscar.

too boring... Soccer and politics do not mix...:)

fps
12-28-2009, 02:53 AM
I felt pretty connected to the main character and his struggles from the very beginning. But the best thing was the feeling of total immersion in the movie due to the amazing effects. The final battle scene had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

really? the final battle? did you think there was any possibility while watching it that the main characters, the leads, would die? seriously? i was waiting for the last-minute getout, the back-to-life breath, as soon as the woman got knocked down i knew she'd end up saving the lead because we were meant to have forgotten about her while the fight with the guy in the suit from Aliens was going on. unfortunately i have a memory better than that of a 5 year old.

CanadianChic
12-28-2009, 03:47 AM
too boring... Soccer and politics do not mix...:)

They did in 1995 (and it's actually rugby). :?

Power Player
12-28-2009, 08:26 AM

Do you really need to insult people's intelligence? There is no doubt that every movie cliche was used and there were some super cheesy lines. But I just sat back and watched the movie and it worked for me. It was great to look at and the special effects have never been that good so far. So of course in 4 years they will, but for now it is something that has never been seen.

I thought it was quite impressive that they could make alien people seem real and more human then human beings. It was a simple story that pulled at your heartstrings, but it was executed well. The girl I took is a movie and music snob and she loved it too. It was just easy to sit back and enjoy it and escape for 2 hours. Is it genius storytelling cinema like Memento or City Of Lost Children..etc? Of course not. But to act like anyone who liked this movie is stupid is a pretty elitist statement to make.

Mansewerz
12-28-2009, 08:37 AM

Yeah, Dark Knight was fantastic, but I don't understand how people can watch it 3 times over. After the second time (like halfway through) i'm like man this is getting boring.

Do you really need to insult people's intelligence? There is no doubt that every movie cliche was used and there were some super cheesy lines. But I just sat back and watched the movie and it worked for me. It was great to look at and the special effects have never been that good so far. So of course in 4 years they will, but for now it is something that has never been seen.

I thought it was quite impressive that they could make alien people seem real and more human then human beings. It was a simple story that pulled at your heartstrings, but it was executed well. The girl I took is a movie and music snob and she loved it too. It was just easy to sit back and enjoy it and escape for 2 hours. Is it genius storytelling cinema like Memento or City Of Lost Children..etc? Of course not. But to act like anyone who liked this movie is stupid is a pretty elitist statement to make.

Agreed, no need to insult a person's intelligence.

Power Player
12-28-2009, 10:44 AM
I think what made Dark Knight so cool was the incredible acting of the 2 lead characters. Heath Ledger got a little more hype of course since he died pre release. But he took the Joker character to a real dark place, and I liked that. I have watched it a few times, but it does get a little boring on repeat.

I would love to see a movie made of the Frank Miller Dark Knight Returns story. That could really be awesome.

LiveForever
12-28-2009, 10:54 AM
I saw that movie too. It was great. Much better than avatar I think.

jmverdugo
12-28-2009, 11:03 AM
^^ you are comparing apples to organges, that is the main problem with Avatar critict's, it is a simple good movie, great FXs and a nice story, cliche? yes! what were you expecting? predictable? of course! it is meant to be understood even by kids. If you want complicated I woud recommend Gone Baby Gone...

christos_liaskos
12-28-2009, 11:10 AM
I felt quite disturbed when I left the cinema after watching this. Ofcourse the effects and everything are good, although i still dont get what all the hype is about for these 3D films, it was the storyline that really bothered me.

The storyline seemed to me an exact replica to 'Dances with wolves' (I hope that's the right film, the one with Kevin Costner?). The human is assigned to a job to help with taking over a new world and in doing so he falls in love with the very people he is supposed to be working against. He falls in love with one of the indigenous people and decides to help them fight against his own people. In true hollywood style, in Avatar, the indigenous people (the good guys) triumph. Yet in Dances with wolves ofcourse the whites drove the red Indians out of their own country. I hope I am making the comparison to the correct film here, after all I was only about 10 when I watched it originally.

At one point in Avatar I actually turned to my friend and said 'typical americans' at a stage where one of the generals had said something about how the indiginous people were in the way of a something that he wanted so the indiginous people would have to be removed by whatever means possible.

Last time humans conquered 'new worlds' in terms of America they committed sins which make me ashamed of being a human myself. I just hope that if we do come upon a new world some day that we are not so greedy as to commit the same sins again and that will have learnt from the past, even if it means the end of the human race, we do not have the right to wipe out other species.

I hope i made comparison to the correct film, if i havent and someone knows which one I am talking about then please correct me, i may have also made a few mistakes in comparing the story lines so again please correct me if you know where i went wrong

LiveForever
12-28-2009, 11:35 AM
^^ you are comparing apples to organges, that is the main problem with Avatar critict's, it is a simple good movie, great FXs and a nice story, cliche? yes! what were you expecting? predictable? of course! it is meant to be understood even by kids. If you want complicated I woud recommend Gone Baby Gone...
No. We have valid points for why we didnt like that movie. The cheesy little story was anything but nice in my opinion. The 3D was breathtaking but everything else was a load of tosh IMO. The ending battle scene was so lame that me and my friend were loling and cracking jokes. The robot had its own machete. :lol:

LiveForever
12-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Delete post.

stormholloway
12-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Typical movie-buff snobbery in here. The movie was incredible. When you go into a movie with a pre-determined idea of what a movie must be in order to be good, you're only limiting your experience.

My only regret was sitting too close.

Lejanius
12-28-2009, 05:34 PM
just watched it

amazing special effects

terrible story, terrible story telling, boring plot, highly predictable

I wouldn't buy it on DVD

I am not a movie snob, but District 9 was so much better than this, whoever said it was Dances with Wolves in the future is basically right.

also the stupid robot had a side mirror, not a rear HUD display a 1940's style side mirror, classy

Worth seeing for the visual effects but not a great movie or story in my small and worthless opinion

stormholloway
12-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Boring plot? I never understood such statements. You're not watching a plot. You're watching a movie. You're having an experience. Is skydiving a boring plot? Is sex? Both are predictable in how they end, but does that take away from the richness of the experiences therein?

And what's wrong with Dances With Wolves?

Fedace
12-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Boring plot? I never understood such statements. You're not watching a plot. You're watching a movie. You're having an experience. Is skydiving a boring plot? Is sex? Both are predictable in how they end, but does that take away from the richness of the experiences therein?

Not enough actual dancing with the wolves in my opinion....:???:

Lejanius
12-28-2009, 08:03 PM

Dances with Wolves was great.

Look a story needs to be interesting. There should be something to grip the reader. This can be accomplished in a lot of ways like interesting characters, a good story with twists and turns, thought provoking commentary on a subject or tense drama with an unpredictable or dramatic outcome.

A story doesn't need all of these to be good but it would be nice to have at least one. In my opinion (which doesn't matter to anyone) Avatar failed in all of those things. I didn't connect to any character, I didn't ever feel as if the lead was really in danger, the plot was never in question and the drama was just absent. Therefore the story was boring.

Movies are different than books (obviously) because they can show things in a visual way. Many movies have to make a choice on how to tell their stories that novels don't have to worry about. Avatar chose to show off the technology they possessed with some spectacular visual effects and pulled that off in spades, but the story was lacking in my eyes.

I didn't think it was a bad movie buy my challenge to everyone who loved it is this. Write down a short synopsis of the movie. Then read it and tell me how interesting and fresh it is to you. If you remove all the visual effects I believe the story is nothing to get excited about.

Just my opinion and I don't expect anyone to agree with me

BorisBeckerFan
12-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Fair point. I'm not saying everything and anything that evokes a wide range of emphatic responses is art, but I do think in this case it might apply. Might. Maybe it's more correct to say that most artist prefer somebody to respond passionately to their work, whether it be hate or love, and the worst reaction possible is no reaction at all.

I'm actually surprised people here are not going to see it based on what somebody posted on a message board. I don't think 90% of the stuff posted here about tennis is reliable, let alone thoughts on politics, music, movies, etc.

Anyway, still has an A average from 20,000 Yahoo! users. It's funny that Britney Spears is brought up. I actually think a lot of her songs are pop gems. I'm pretty sure my song writer friends I hung out with when I was an audio engineer for a brief spell would agree. Even if her music is not your thing, many of her songs are incredibly well crafted pop. Likewise, even if you end up disappointed by the intellectual depth of this movie (not sure why people expected deep philosophical thoughts from this movie... or from any 3D action movie but different strokes I suppose...) there's no denying this movie is an incredible achievement on several levels.

I am most certainly going to watch Avatar. I usually watch movies that generate this much buzz and then come up with my own conclusions. Also I love Britney even though I don't really consider her an artist per se, her stuff is usually really good.

edberg505
12-28-2009, 10:07 PM

Wow, do you get nose bleeds from being up there. That's a pretty darn high horse you are on.

Noveson
12-29-2009, 12:50 AM
I want to be an alien

christos_liaskos
12-29-2009, 02:20 AM

There's nothing wrong with Dances With Wolves. I just felt like the whole plot line of Avatar was an exact copy of Dances except finished in the big Hollywood way with the good guys winning. Human history would not suggest that this is how such a confrontation would turn up. I dont even feel like the storyline was finished properly. After the humans lost that battle I wouldn't think that would be the end of it, far from it. The army that the humans took with them didnt seem very big to me and it just seemed inevitable that they would go back and in the end destroy all the indiginous people. Of course Hollywood wouldnt want to show that ending.

I'm not normally interested in being a film critic of any kind but I really felt disturbed when i left the cinema after watching it. And the annoying thing was I couldnt work out why. I seemed to see all this underlying storyline that noone else seemed to see or was bothered about. It really could have been some subconcious thing - my mum is a history teacher and about a week earlier she had been watching videos about the slave trade. Also all the talk of climate change recently with Coopenhagen. Maybe these things, coupled with the underlying storyline that only i seemed to notice really made me aware of the negative aspects of human beings.

David_Is_Right
12-29-2009, 04:25 AM

Further wide-eyed, sycophantic glorification of a terrorist, as if any more were needed? No thanks!

Peters
12-29-2009, 04:34 AM
You da man!!

fps
12-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Typical movie-buff snobbery in here. The movie was incredible. When you go into a movie with a pre-determined idea of what a movie must be in order to be good, you're only limiting your experience.

my pre-determined idea of what a movie must do/have/be in order to be good, or possibly just to prevent it being awful.

1. it must have a script, if it isn't a silent film, which has care and precision in its words, an intelligently written script, that is employed to great effect, whatever that may be.

2. it must have characters with a depth, range and set of qualities that enrich the experience of the story that is being told, and they must be well-acted.

3. it must not preach and bleat. It must raise what issues it has organically, it must be a guide to an audience and not a finger wagging in their faces.

4. it must strive to open a new window on the type of story it tells.

that really is it. Avatar failed on all 4 fronts.

stormholloway
12-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Well most critics completely disagree with you, for whatever that's worth. Again, a movie is just an experience, like sex. From the moment sex begins you know how it's going to end. Does that take away from the experience? I don't think so.

You went in with an idea about what the experience must be to be satisfying. I didn't. That's why I enjoyed it so much.

BorisBeckerFan
12-29-2009, 11:38 AM
After having seen it today there really isn't much to say about it. It just kind of sucks. I was expecting the graphics and animation to be alot better. Just look at the mechs from district 9 as compared the mechs in avatar. District 9 is way more realistic. Not that I would know what aliens look like but the execution of how the aliens were made in district 9 makes them look organic as if they actually exist. The aliens in avatar just have that fake cgi look and movement to them. I won't really comment on the story as it just pretty bland. Overall it just wasn't a fun experience for 2 and half hours. Movies imho shoould entertain, draw emotions or reactions and this is just kind of flat.

Lejanius
12-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Well most critics completely disagree with you, for whatever that's worth. Again, a movie is just an experience, like sex. From the moment sex begins you know how it's going to end. Does that take away from the experience? I don't think so.

You went in with an idea about what the experience must be to be satisfying. I didn't. That's why I enjoyed it so much.

the sex thing is a terrible analogy.

Sex by it's nature is hardwired into our biology. Everything from a way a person smells to how they smile and what color eyes they have can alter your attraction to a person. It is an emotional and unconscious need. You need to have to sex to procreate and continue the species.

It is a need, albeit one that can be suppressed for years (or even a lifetime) if need be.

Enjoying a movie (be it bad or good) is fine but comparing it to knowing how sex ends doesn't work because when you have sex you release thousands of endorphins, emotional and physical responses, and sensations that you cannot duplicate in any other manner.

in other words if you want to feel like you do after and during sex you need to have sex to do it. You may know how it will end every time but you can't replicate the experience any other way.

if you want to feel like you do at the end of a movie you can simulate that response through any number of other activities. Some movies elicit better responses that others.

JRstriker12
12-29-2009, 12:43 PM
I saw the movie last week in 3-D and I had to say I liked it. I expected to be hugely disappointed, and mainly went for the visual experience, but it was much better than I expected.

It was definitely entertaining. Was it earth shattering or mind bending? No, but as far as this genre of movies go it had all you could ask for: action, aliens, sci-fi elements, mechs, etc. There were even some moments where you felt some empathy for the aliens (I'm not going to spoil it- so I'm not mentioning the particular scene.) I thought the scenery in Pandora was incredible and the floating mountains looked incredible in 3-D.

Have to say Cameron was pretty tasteful in his use of 3-D effects, using it to add depth to scenes and not place an annoying object 3ft from your face the whole movie.

Basically, it was a fun movie to go to hang out with friends on a holiday evening.

Mansewerz
12-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Too many people these days trying to seem sophisticated by saying a film lacks something, as if only amazing films can give them that. They try to glorify themselves as intellectuals by condemning newer films (even the good ones) as complete failures.

35ft6
12-29-2009, 01:00 PM
my pre-determined idea of what a movie must do/have/be in order to be good, or possibly just to prevent it being awful.In my experience, people either like or hate a film, song, food, person, etc, and figure out why later.that really is it. Avatar failed on all 4 fronts.I thought it succeeded on all four fronts. It's a simple story. I think Cameron would be the first to admit that.^^ you are comparing apples to organges, that is the main problem with Avatar critict's, it is a simple good movie, great FXs and a nice story, cliche? yes! what were you expecting? predictable? of course! it is meant to be understood even by kids. If you want complicated I woud recommend Gone Baby Gone...Yeah, I don't get it. It's like taking somebody to get a great burger at the beach, the person taking a bite and saying "it sucks compared to El Bulli in Spain." This movie is clearly not an exercise in cinematic existentialism, although the whole notion of avatars could be fuel for thought in terms of what constitutes a person, the soul, dualism (philosophy of mind sort), etc.

When 40 year old men say, at length and passionately, even angrily, that they hate music for 10 year old girls, I have a hard time believing somebody can be so clueless. Of coures you don't like Selena Gomez, you dolt. Who composed better music, The Beatles or Bach? Who is a better jazz pianist, Monk or Tatum? Not everything fits perfectly into your little circles and squares. Everything can't be determined by your little list. Stormo is right...When you go into a movie with a pre-determined idea of what a movie must be in order to be good, you're only limiting your experience.Sure, it's valid to dislike Avatar. If you weren't entertained, than you weren't entertained, and there's no disputing that. But the reasons being given for disliking it are IMO bizarre. Story was predictable? Some of my favorite movies were predictable. It's like music, some songs you can hum along to the first time you hear it, it's like you've heard it your whole life. People can also be like this, they are instantly "familiar." The Avatar story is as old as time. So yeah, it's predictable, we all knew the "good guys" would win. And that goes for almost every movie I've ever seen. How is Avatar different in this regard? It's not. I know Indiana Jones is going to survive and accomplish his mission, even if only inadvertently, and the list of movies where I know the good guy will survive and succeed is pretty indistinguishable from the list of every movie ever made.

It's all about execution. Cameron was going for emotion and visual impact. Other people go for twists and turns, and that's fine. This movie wasn't about that. If somebody makes you a great sandwich, don't lament that it's not French Laundry. Put everything in its proper context and understand that all movies or art don't share the same objective. If you like movies with ambiguous morals, unpredictable characters, non-linear structures, and unusual themes, that's cool. I do, too, sometimes. Sometimes I like the world's most peet heavy whiskey, and sometimes I want Coors Lite. Sometimes I like a fancy dinner, and sometimes I love a simple sandwich. Sometimes I'm amazed by my 3 year old nephews vocabulary even though Salman Rushdie could talk circles around him. Damn, put things into context, dudes!!!!

I don't see how people can't praise this movie if for no other reason than how magical it looked. I wasn't a huge fan of Lawrence of Arabia but I can admit it looked fantastic. That was enough for me. Anyway. :)

stormholloway
12-29-2009, 01:03 PM
the sex thing is a terrible analogy.

Sex by it's nature is hardwired into our biology. Everything from a way a person smells to how they smile and what color eyes they have can alter your attraction to a person. It is an emotional and unconscious need. You need to have to sex to procreate and continue the species.

So nothing about us being stimulated in a movie theater is hardwired into our biology? I sure hope that the rest of your post does more to explain why it's a terrible analogy. Ultimately, they are both visceral experiences.

Enjoying a movie (be it bad or good) is fine but comparing it to knowing how sex ends doesn't work because when you have sex you release thousands of endorphins, emotional and physical responses, and sensations that you cannot duplicate in any other manner.

And these things aren't done in a movie? In fact there are many other ways to release endorphins.

in other words if you want to feel like you do after and during sex you need to have sex to do it. You may know how it will end every time but you can't replicate the experience any other way.

if you want to feel like you do at the end of a movie you can simulate that response through any number of other activities. Some movies elicit better responses that others.

People seem to have trouble understanding what an analogy is. It doesn't mean sex and movies are the same, yet what you're doing is explaining how sex is different.

Please tell me how you can replicate the experience of being on Pandora better than watching Avatar in 3D IMAX.

It's obvious that you miss the point completely. Everything is an experience. You went into the 'Avatar experience' with a set of criteria that dictated whether or not that experience was good or not. It was your prejudices that determined whether the experience was positive or negative for you, as you've made clear with your previous posts.

35ft6
12-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Too many people these days trying to seem sophisticated by saying a film lacks something, as if only amazing films can give them that. They try to glorify themselves as intellectuals by condemning newer films (even the good ones) as complete failures.And a lot of people define themselves by the things they hate and not by the things they enjoy. Cultural Debbie Downers. It's intellectual posturing and 99% of them can't explain themselves beyond a few sentences they hijacked from blogs or a few pseudo-philosophical generalizations that their friends have heard a thousand times and secretly find unbearable. These people are the self proclaimed champions of "keeping it real" in a world of phonies. Sad really. The smartest people I know are almost without fail curious, like to listen more than they criticize/pontificate, and have generous spirits, realizing the world is ****ed and one more ******y voice doesn't exactly make matters better. Like a martial arts master who walks away from a fight, they're the most intellectually capable of identifying and condemning stupidity, but happily choose not to.

Mansewerz
12-29-2009, 01:09 PM
And a lot of people define themselves by the things they hate and not by the things they enjoy. Cultural Debbie Downers. It's intellectual posturing and 99% of them can't explain themselves beyond a few sentences they hijacked from blogs or a few pseudo-philosophical generalizations that their friends have heard a thousand times and secretly find unbearable. These people are the self proclaimed champions of "keeping it real" in a world of phonies. Sad really. The smartest people I know are almost without fail curious, like to listen more than they criticize/pontificate, and have generous spirits, realizing the world is ****ed and one more ******y voice doesn't exactly make matters better. Like a martial arts master who walks away from a fight, they're the most intellectual capable of demolishing dumb people, but happily choose not to.

Exactly!!!!!! They are much more open to the world rather than living narrow-minded!

stormholloway
12-29-2009, 01:11 PM
When 40 year old men say, at length and passionately, even angrily, that they hate music for 10 year old girls, I have a hard time believing somebody can be so clueless. Who composed better music, The Beatles or Bach? Who is a better jazz pianist, Monk or Tatum? Stormo is right...Sure, it's valid to dislike Avatar. If you weren't entertained, than you weren't entertained, and there's no disputing that. But the reasons being given for disliking it are IMO bizarre. Story was predictable? Some of my favorite movies were predictable. It's like music, some songs you can hum along to the first time you hear it, it's like you've heard it your whole life. People can also be like this, they are instantly "familiar." The Avatar story is as old as time. So yeah, it's predictable, we all knew the "good guys" would win. And that goes for almost every movie I've ever seen. How is Avatar different in this regard? It's not. I know Indiana Jones is going to survive and accomplish his mission, even if only inadvertently, and the list of movies where I know the good guy will survive and succeed is endless.

Another great analogy: music. Does my foreknowledge of where a song is going degrade the experience? I don't think so. In fact, some music I've learned to appreciate more after listening to it several times.

And to be honest, I wasn't absolutely sure the good guys would win. The truth is that we've become so accustomed to the audience being thrown for loops and experiencing twists that the bad guys winning has almost become somewhat predictable. I think people are just a bit upset that the story went the way people wanted it to: the good guys won. They certainly don't always win. Should Cameron have written the bad guys to win just as not to give people a "Hollywood ending"? I don't think so. Sometimes good guys win. I see no problem with that.

Also, it's not as if the Navi people didn't lose to a certain degree. Their home was still destroyed.

It's all about execution. Cameron was going for emotion and visual impact. Other people go for twists and turns, and that's fine. This movie wasn't about that. If somebody makes you a great sandwich, don't lament that it's not French Laundry. Put everything in its proper context and understand that all movies or art share the same objective. If you like movies with ambiguous morals, unpredictable characters, non-linear structures, and unusual themes, that's cool. I do, too, sometimes. Sometimes I like the world's most peet heavy whiskey, and sometimes I want Coors Lite. Sometimes I like a fancy dinner, and sometimes I love a simple sandwich. Sometimes I'm amazed by my 3 year old nephews vocabulary even though Salman Rushdie could talk circles around him. Damn, put things into context, dudes!!!!

Totally agree. Making an unpredictable ending has itself become predictable. Why must tragedy be the only cultured form these days?

Lejanius
12-29-2009, 01:11 PM
I fully admit Avatar was fantastic in a visual sense. But a movie also tells a story and in my eyes to be successful at telling a story there are certain things that should be accomplished and Avatar failed enough in all of those aspects that it was boring to me.

No movie is perfect and I enjoyed the likes of Star Trek and District 9 (both had big holes but succeeded enough in the storytelling that I was hooked). You can't compare one movie to another but there are certain storytelling elements that I enjoy and Avatar didn't live up to those. That doesn't mean I am right and you guys are wrong, just means I didn't enjoy it.

I went into Avatar with few expectations and hoping it was good and I was bored. I am by no means a movie snob but I think it is funny that some people claim someone is trying to be intellectual by knowing why you don't like something.

Just because I can quantify why I disliked a movie (and being a writer maybe I understand what elements I search for in a story better than some) doesn't mean I am snob. I love all kinds of movies from stupid movies to really smart ones but I won't buy or see Avatar again.

cucio
12-29-2009, 02:25 PM
You are missing the point, probably in a deliberate manner. The "good guys winning" is macroscopic level. According to that analysis then there would only be two stories: the good guys win or the good guys lose, so how can you be original? This is not the point here.

Avatar fails at a much more microscopic level. The scenes are directly taken from "101 scenes that push the obvious buttons for the aspiring script writer". The argument is preachy, it tries to teach you a "good savage" moral but the characters are so plain and unidimensional than they lose any semblance of credibility and become ridiculous, especially the villains. Those characters may fit the bill in a comic setting, like a Batman or a Dick Tracy, but not in a purported epic.

This wouldn't be that big of a problem if this wasn't a 300M$ production that prides itself of having been 15 years in the making to become the "next big thing". At that, it fails, it is just another ok sci-fi movie.

No one was expecting a Bergman movie here, just a well-told story that hadn't you rolling your eyes every 5 minutes. To put the same recent example some others have cited in the same sci-fi fx ridden blockbuster genre, "District 9" is infinitely more enjoyable in this respect, without being any brainy or metaphysical.

The ad hominem snobbery argument is at the same level as the "people who enjoy this movie are simpletons" and "people who complain about snobbery are only showing their inferiority complex." Useless banter and name calling that proves nothing. Please spare them.

So anyone who didn't got drawn into the, so-called, story was prejudiced? Someone else spots the irony here?

You enjoyed it. We didn't. I think our reasons are clear and eloquently explained. Those reasons are not important for you, fair enough, what's the problem then? Why do you need to feel your enjoyment validated with the bogus claim that this is a well-told story too?

PS: Art Tatum was a better pianist, in the strict sense of the word, but Monk was a better musician.

LiveForever
12-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Too many people these days trying to seem sophisticated by saying a film lacks something, as if only amazing films can give them that. They try to glorify themselves as intellectuals by condemning newer films (even the good ones) as complete failures.
Oh please. And a lot of people these days cant stand the fact that some else has a different opinion then them. Anyone who disagrees is either a snob, elitist, wannabe intellectuals etc. :roll:

LiveForever
12-29-2009, 02:52 PM
In my experience, people either like or hate a film, song, food, person, etc, and figure out why later.I thought it succeeded on all four fronts. It's a simple story. I think Cameron would be the first to admit that.Yeah, I don't get it. It's like taking somebody to get a great burger at the beach, the person taking a bite and saying "it sucks compared to El Bulli in Spain." This movie is clearly not an exercise in cinematic existentialism, although the whole notion of avatars could be fuel for thought in terms of what constitutes a person, the soul, dualism (philosophy of mind sort), etc.

When 40 year old men say, at length and passionately, even angrily, that they hate music for 10 year old girls, I have a hard time believing somebody can be so clueless. Of coures you don't like Selena Gomez, you dolt. Who composed better music, The Beatles or Bach? Who is a better jazz pianist, Monk or Tatum? Not everything fits perfectly into your little circles and squares. Everything can't be determined by your little list. Stormo is right...Sure, it's valid to dislike Avatar. If you weren't entertained, than you weren't entertained, and there's no disputing that. But the reasons being given for disliking it are IMO bizarre. Story was predictable? Some of my favorite movies were predictable. It's like music, some songs you can hum along to the first time you hear it, it's like you've heard it your whole life. People can also be like this, they are instantly "familiar." The Avatar story is as old as time. So yeah, it's predictable, we all knew the "good guys" would win. And that goes for almost every movie I've ever seen. How is Avatar different in this regard? It's not. I know Indiana Jones is going to survive and accomplish his mission, even if only inadvertently, and the list of movies where I know the good guy will survive and succeed is pretty indistinguishable from the list of every movie ever made.

It's all about execution. Cameron was going for emotion and visual impact. Other people go for twists and turns, and that's fine. This movie wasn't about that. If somebody makes you a great sandwich, don't lament that it's not French Laundry. Put everything in its proper context and understand that all movies or art don't share the same objective. If you like movies with ambiguous morals, unpredictable characters, non-linear structures, and unusual themes, that's cool. I do, too, sometimes. Sometimes I like the world's most peet heavy whiskey, and sometimes I want Coors Lite. Sometimes I like a fancy dinner, and sometimes I love a simple sandwich. Sometimes I'm amazed by my 3 year old nephews vocabulary even though Salman Rushdie could talk circles around him. Damn, put things into context, dudes!!!!

I don't see how people can't praise this movie if for no other reason than how magical it looked. I wasn't a huge fan of Lawrence of Arabia but I can admit it looked fantastic. That was enough for me. Anyway. :)
The reasons fps gave are not bizarre at all. You just love this movie and find his reasons to be bizarre. By telling us that our reasons are bizarre, what do you expect us to do?. You are offering all these random analogies that are not relevant at all. No one relates watching a movie to those experiences. Watching movies is simple. You go and watch it and you either like it or not.
Anyways, I am most certainly not going to change my opinion on anything to follow the crowd of avatar lovers. Not everyone has the same opinion. People who come here and bash people for liking avatar are wrong and people who bash people for not liking avatar (T&M) are both wrong and annoying.

35ft6
12-29-2009, 04:30 PM
The reasons fps gave are not bizarre at all.They are "bizarre" (and maybe that was putting it too harshly) because he's missing the point. Here's another example that might confuse you. I watched and liked The Hurt Locker. Not a great movie, but very good. My friend said he wished there was more action during the bomb diffusing scenes. My response was the whole point of those scenes, the movie's strongest, was how mundane this dangerous job was... how unnerving it was to be watched by civilians... how quiet it was... how it happened right in the midst of every day Iraqi life... to add action conventions, to heighten it, would make it like other action movies. It was the pauses, the incremental challenges, the quiet stares that made the scenes unnerving. Hurt Locker got recognition because it was different from a conventional war movie. Likewise, Avatar is trying to be a simple story about good rising up against evil, and that's all it's trying to be. To fault it for accomplishing what it set out to accomplish is missing the point.You are offering all these random analogies that are not relevant at all. No one relates watching a movie to those experiences.The analogies are fine. People who go to McDonald's can complain their Big Mac was terrible, but if they walk out talking about how they expected 5 courses of French cuisine, that's bizarre.Anyways, I am most certainly not going to change my opinion on anything to follow the crowd of avatar lovers. Not everyone has the same opinion. People who come here and bash people for liking avatar are wrong and people who bash people for not liking avatar (T&M) are both wrong and annoying.I enjoy this discussion and I'm glad it's not a lovefest. Go someplace more to your liking if you're so rattled. :)

LiveForever
12-29-2009, 04:49 PM
They are "bizarre" (and maybe that was putting it too harshly) because he's missing the point. Here's another example that might confuse you. I watched and liked The Hurt Locker. Not a great movie, but very good. My friend said he wished there was more action during the bomb diffusing scenes. My response was the whole point of those scenes, the movie's strongest, was how mundane this dangerous job was... how unnerving it was to be watched by civilians... how quiet it was... how it happened right in the midst of every day Iraqi life... to add action conventions, to heighten it, would make it like other action movies. It was the pauses, the incremental challenges, the quiet stares that made the scenes unnerving. Hurt Locker got recognition because it was different from a conventional war movie. Likewise, Avatar is trying to be a simple story about good rising up against evil, and that's all it's trying to be. To fault it for accomplishing what it set out to accomplish is missing the point.The analogies are fine. People who go to McDonald's can complain their Big Mac was terrible, but if they walk out talking about how they expected 5 courses of French cuisine, that's bizarre.I enjoy this discussion and I'm glad it's not a lovefest. Go someplace more to your liking if you're so rattled. :)
On the contrary, I find many avatar fans to be rattled.:) jk, I dont mind people praising avatar. I have not said anything personal about the films fans. I was just sticking up for myself by letting everyone know that I have genuine reasons for not liking the film. I dont want to be seen as movie snob, you know. Especially when so many of my favorite movies are not exactly considered popular. Sorry if I was a bit brash .

Mansewerz
12-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Oh please. And a lot of people these days cant stand the fact that some else has a different opinion then them. Anyone who disagrees is either a snob, elitist, wannabe intellectuals etc. :roll:

From what i've seen on this message board and others, many people are snobs, elitists, wannabe intellectuals.

35ft6
12-29-2009, 05:35 PM
On the contrary, I find many avatar fans to be rattled.:) jk, I dont mind people praising avatar. I have not said anything personal about the films fans. I was just sticking up for myself by letting everyone know that I have genuine reasons for not liking the film. I dont want to be seen as movie snob, you know. Especially when so many of my favorite movies are not exactly considered popular. Sorry if I was a bit brash . No problem, man. You weren't brash at all, and I put the smiley face in case I came off that way.

Personally, just from a visual standpoint, I have a hard time understanding why this film wouldn't be considered a success simply for how beautiful and innovative and ground breaking it was. The CGI world he created was the most impressive I've ever seen and by an incredibly huge margin. I could watch a silent version of Avatar with nothing but included and deleted scenes of Pandora's landscape and creatures. I would call this child like wonder. I was truly amazed in a way that I haven't been in a long time and maybe ever. The Matrix was probably the last movie that really amazed me, not necessarily the CGI per pe, but it introduced a lot of new visual style to the action movie lexicon, and likewise, even if a person couldn't connect with the story and wooden acting, I would think they might deem the movie a success for being so visually groundbreaking.

Anyway, again, I get it, not everybody is going to like it. But I take exception to some of the reasons. They say the movie was predictable but only if you summarize it in a very broad way (at which point, I would argue nearly every single action movie or love story is predictable). Sure, from the trailers, we knew he would side with the natives, fall in love, and there would be a battle. You didn't need to see the movie to confirm the certainty of those elements, and to express disappointment after seeing it as if you weren't sure those things would happen is puzzling.

But the important thing for a movie is how does the movie go about executing the things you KNOW you're going to see? How does it express these story points? In going about the business of being a simple tale of a boy who finds his true self inside of an alien body on an different planet, there were a lot of great moments that nobody could have predicted. For example, in every movie like this the hero is going to be introduced to his new world, and Avatar did it wonderfully. Learning about the plants... how to deal with animals... the plants that glow... becoming one with horses and dragons... using leafs to break your fall... drinking water caught in the plants... was any of this really predictable? Did somebody at home really say 4 months ago "I bet this movie has a scene where he attaches the end of his pony tail to a dragon's tentacle to form a mind meld." Really!? So you knew he would be shown around the place -- but did you like how they did it? I sure did.

I feel like in a lot of art forms, to do the simple things is the hardest. A lot of times I'll meet a person and they'll say they're an artist and if they suck almost without fail they're creating non representational abstract stuff. In screenwriting, I meet a lot of hacks who talk at length about how they don't understand 3 act structure and don't care to, and they're going to turn Hollywood on its head. Good luck goateed dude working at Best Buy. To me it's way easier both in terms of craft and maintaining your sense of self by making something "unconventional" thereby preemptively dismissing your critics who can't understand you're ahead of your time... that your idea isn't mainstream hollywood vomit... you're a maverick... that you're trying to do something different. Not saying this doesn't sometimes happen, but 99.9999999999% it's simply a hack who refuses to do his homework and study the basics first. Hey, Picasso painted some crazy stuff but he was only credible because the dude could draw. There was no question he intended his paintings to look that way, and it wasn't his way of rationalizing and even glorifying an inability to render recognizable forms. Picassos come along very rarely, every person who paints gibberish can't claim to be an abstract expressionist. Sorry. Every person who can't write a coherent story can't claim to be a subversive screenwriter. And there are a lot of people like that floating around hollywood. Maybe someday I'll start a thread about some of the gems my reader friends have wrote coverage for.

My long winded point is that in this climate, I really like Avatar for being clearly understandable and above all else, sincere. It's audacious in this way. Courageous of him. And smart, he made a movie I really liked. Lucas tried to be too clever and came up with 4 stinkers in a row, Crystal Skull being the fourth. Yes, smart. Sometimes the best way to be smart is by not trying to hard to be clever, just be sincere.[/rant]

35ft6
12-29-2009, 05:41 PM
And yes, I'm spending a lot of time "defending" this movie. Yes, I am totally gay for it. And no, I'm not taking this discussion seriously. I really am glad it's not a lovefest although I have a hard time understanding how a person can watch Avatar in 3D and like it on some level.

LiveForever
12-29-2009, 07:12 PM
No problem, man. You weren't brash at all, and I put the smiley face in case I came off that way.

Personally, just from a visual standpoint, I have a hard time understanding why this film wouldn't be considered a success simply for how beautiful and innovative and ground breaking it was. The CGI world he created was the most impressive I've ever seen and by an incredibly huge margin. I could watch a silent version of Avatar with nothing but included and deleted scenes of Pandora's landscape and creatures. I would call this child like wonder. I was truly amazed in a way that I haven't been in a long time and maybe ever. The Matrix was probably the last movie that really amazed me, not necessarily the CGI per pe, but it introduced a lot of new visual style to the action movie lexicon, and likewise, even if a person couldn't connect with the story and wooden acting, I would think they might deem the movie a success for being so visually groundbreaking.

Anyway, again, I get it, not everybody is going to like it. But I take exception to some of the reasons. They say the movie was predictable but only if you summarize it in a very broad way (at which point, I would argue nearly every single action movie or love story is predictable). Sure, from the trailers, we knew he would side with the natives, fall in love, and there would be a battle. You didn't need to see the movie to confirm the certainty of those elements, and to express disappointment after seeing it as if you weren't sure those things would happen is puzzling.

But the important thing for a movie is how does the movie go about executing the things you KNOW you're going to see? How does it express these story points? In going about the business of being a simple tale of a boy who finds his true self inside of an alien body on an different planet, there were a lot of great moments that nobody could have predicted. For example, in every movie like this the hero is going to be introduced to his new world, and Avatar did it wonderfully. Learning about the plants... how to deal with animals... the plants that glow... becoming one with horses and dragons... using leafs to break your fall... drinking water caught in the plants... was any of this really predictable? Did somebody at home really say 4 months ago "I bet this movie has a scene where he attaches the end of his pony tail to a dragon's tentacle to form a mind meld." Really!? So you knew he would be shown around the place -- but did you like how they did it? I sure did.

I feel like in a lot of art forms, to do the simple things is the hardest. A lot of times I'll meet a person and they'll say they're an artist and if they suck almost without fail they're creating non representational abstract stuff. In screenwriting, I meet a lot of hacks who talk at length about how they don't understand 3 act structure and don't care to, and they're going to turn Hollywood on its head. Good luck goateed dude working at Best Buy. To me it's way easier both in terms of craft and maintaining your sense of self by making something "unconventional" thereby preemptively dismissing your critics who can't understand you're ahead of your time... that your idea isn't mainstream hollywood vomit... you're a maverick... that you're trying to do something different. Not saying this doesn't sometimes happen, but 99.9999999999% it's simply a hack who refuses to do his homework and study the basics first. Hey, Picasso painted some crazy stuff but he was only credible because the dude could draw. There was no question he intended his paintings to look that way, and it wasn't his way of rationalizing and even glorifying an inability to render recognizable forms. Picassos come along very rarely, every person who paints gibberish can't claim to be an abstract expressionist. Sorry. Every person who can't write a coherent story can't claim to be a subversive screenwriter. And there are a lot of people like that floating around hollywood. Maybe someday I'll start a thread about some of the gems my reader friends have wrote coverage for.

My long winded point is that in this climate, I really like Avatar for being clearly understandable and above all else, sincere. It's audacious in this way. Courageous of him. And smart, he made a movie I really liked. Lucas tried to be too clever and came up with 4 stinkers in a row, Crystal Skull being the fourth. Yes, smart. Sometimes the best way to be smart is by not trying to hard to be clever, just be sincere.[/rant]
I agree that this movie was revolutionary. I have never seen a more Hi Def movie in my life. The aerial scenes of pandora made it seem like I was looking down on it from a hot air balloon or helicopter. This movie is probably gonna be a trend setter for future movies. The artwork I will admit was GOAT. My only complaints was the story but I wont deny even for a second, that this movie is second to none from an artistic standpoint.

35ft6
12-29-2009, 09:00 PM
This movie is probably gonna be a trend setter for future movies. The artwork I will admit was GOAT. My only complaints was the story but I wont deny even for a second, that this movie is second to none from an artistic standpoint.Cool. Fair enough. But do people think Cameron waited 15 years for technology to progress so he could make a movie about blue people talking about deep philosophical stuff in 3D? You know, subtle back stabbing, political intrigue? Or rather, did he wait for advances so he could create insane visuals, a believable alien planet and kick *** battles between machine and dragons? I don't include you in this group Liveforever, but it seems like some people walked out wishing they had seen a movie that really didn't require $300 million and cutting edge technology to make.

I was blown away by this movie. It was much better than I was expecting. I loved the 15 minute sneak preview but part of me still feared that it was going to try to be all pretentious and not be that fun. That's why I loved Iron Man. I get it, everybody is trying to add a new spin to superheroes, to make their story existential and deep, the heros conflicted, but that approach is washed up. It worked with Batman to some extent, but I would still rather watch Iron Man again than Dark Knight, and don't even get me started on Superman returns and Ang Lee's The Hulk. Just give me action. If I want depth and ambiguity I can do a double feature of Cache and Lost Highway.

35ft6
12-29-2009, 09:23 PM
Cool. Fair enough. But do people think Cameron waited 15 years for technology to progress so he could make a movie about blue people talking about deep philosophical stuff in 3D? You know, subtle back stabbing, political intrigue? Or rather, did he wait for advances so he could create insane visuals, a believable alien planet and kick *** battles between machine and dragons?Scratch that, I was more amazed by the eyes of the Navi, the blades of grass, the texture of the trees, the waterfall, the musculature and nostrils of the animals, and how even when Navi and real actors were on the screen at the same time, I didn't feel a disconnect.

LiveForever
12-29-2009, 10:09 PM
Cool. Fair enough. But do people think Cameron waited 15 years for technology to progress so he could make a movie about blue people talking about deep philosophical stuff in 3D? You know, subtle back stabbing, political intrigue? Or rather, did he wait for advances so he could create insane visuals, a believable alien planet and kick *** battles between machine and dragons? I don't include you in this group Liveforever, but it seems like some people walked out wishing they had seen a movie that really didn't require $300 million and cutting edge technology to make.

I was blown away by this movie. It was much better than I was expecting. I loved the 15 minute sneak preview but part of me still feared that it was going to try to be all pretentious and not be that fun. That's why I loved Iron Man. I get it, everybody is trying to add a new spin to superheroes, to make their story existential and deep, the heros conflicted, but that approach is washed up. It worked with Batman to some extent, but I would still rather watch Iron Man again than Dark Knight, and don't even get me started on Superman returns and Ang Lee's The Hulk. Just give me action. If I want depth and ambiguity I can do a double feature of Cache and Lost Highway.
You know, maybe you are on to something. I just had a really hectic college semester come to an end and I never really got any time to read up on avatar or even watch the trailer. All I heard was the hype and I randomly got dragged along with some friends to go see it. I probably went in with some unreasonable expectations and hindered my experience. Oceans 11 is one of my favorite movies of all time and it is similar to avatar in that it has a lot of style. I think I will check avatar out again later. lol. Also the last few movies I saw gave me some unrealistic expectations. In the past 6 months, I have seen fight club, memento, silence of the lambs, Godfather, Se7en, Usual Suspects etc. lol.:) That is prob why I wasnt blown away.

Btw did you watch D9? Avatar reminded me a lot about that movie. I think Avatar was better because the ending of D9 was really sad IMO. :(

35ft6
12-30-2009, 03:56 AM
^ Yeah, I really liked D9. And the special effects were just so darn subtle... amazing! I was blown away by the special effects. But I actually thought the movie's conceit wasn't quite strong enough to sustain a movie, it seemed "small" like it was more suited for television. Almost as amazing as the special effects is how much the lead actor grew on me. I thought he was a bit of a ham at the beginning and it bothered me, but as he started falling apart and transforming, his performance completely won me over.

Another guy got a movie deal based on a short featuring a very similar CGI style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dadPWhEhVk

35ft6
12-30-2009, 04:00 AM
I probably went in with some unreasonable expectations and hindered my experience. And you know what, I might have been in just the right mood to watch Avatar. I was visiting my parents for the holidays, the weather was crappy, the mid west was kind of depressing me and some escapist fare was just what I needed.

rommil
12-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Sigourney Weaver's avatar looks like Lindsay Davenport.

ttbrowne
12-30-2009, 07:45 PM
It's still just Ferngully re-made.

flyinghippos101
12-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Just came back home from watching it

The Verdict:
+ Sweet Effects
+ Great visual representation and creativity with Pandora and its wildlife
+ Outrageous battle scene

- Alien sex
- Predictable
- Main characters are boring and unlikable
- A few annoying chracters useless to the progression of the story that should've been cut entirely
- Outrageous Battle scene

SPOILER (the antagonist survives a 4" knife that shanked his neck and two 5 ft long arrow shots, thats outrageous in the bad way)

Mansewerz
12-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Just came back home from watching it

The Verdict:
+ Sweet Effects
+ Great visual representation and creativity with Pandora and its wildlife
+ Outrageous battle scene

- Alien sex
- Predictable
- Main characters are boring and unlikable
- A few annoying chracters useless to the progression of the story that should've been cut entirely
- Outrageous Battle scene

SPOILER (the antagonist survives a 4" knife that shanked his neck and two 5 ft long arrow shots, thats outrageous in the bad way)

The knife missed.

CyBorg
12-30-2009, 08:42 PM
I was definitely disappointed, but loved some of the visual ideas in Avatar. I saw it in 3-D Imax.

Loved:

- the way the indigenous characters and 'avatars' are rendered. Very "real" - and we connect emotionally

- the scene where Sully tames the bird .. wonderfully shot and kept me on the edge of my seat

- the first tree (the one that is taken down) is constructed with a wonderful asymmetry that draws you in .. the tree looks old by virtue of the memory that is suggested by its 'bend' .. compare it to the other tree, which is perfectly symmetrical, classical - still nice, but it didn't grab me

Did not care for

- The one-dimensional "GI Joe" character - Quaritch; a friend says he's very much like another one of Cameron's characters from the Abyss (I should revisit that one). I had a similar complaint about a villain in District 9 - at least Raul Julia's Bison was for yuks. But this...

- What the narrative refuses to tell us about Sully's society is unfortunate because it affirms the good guy-bad guy dichotomy. This took something away from my experience of the film. For all we know, the indigenous people have a society and a forum (also "network"), but the other guys do not. There is a suggestion, however, somewhere in the film that Quaritch does have to answer to public opinion. But we're left in the dark. Cameron makes it easy for us to dislike one side by painting it in broad strokes. It's tiresome

- And then the whole Pocahontas, 'noble savage' effect. We're not treading any new ground here. Cameron gets away with it because the indigenous here are a fictional race.

(I also forgot to mention that I hated most of the weapons in the film - because they look dated and not like something one would expect in the future .. awful robot-suits, predictable guns, etc)

And, yes, I know that few of us were expecting great storytelling from Cameron. He is primarily a director of stunts, with an eye for fantastic imagery.

But just imagine how much better his films would be if he could invest in richer cosmologies and then work the images to suit those ideas. Something with fewer characters like Quaritch.

FuriousYellow
12-30-2009, 10:03 PM
- The one-dimensional "GI Joe" character - Quaritch; a friend says he's very much like another one of Cameron's characters from the Abyss (I should revisit that one). I had a similar complaint about a villain in District 9 - at least Raul Julia's Bison was for yuks. But this...

That's exactly what I thought. The character was very similar to Michael Biehn's gung-ho Navy Seal character in the Abyss, but even more cartoonish in his uncompromising and antagonistic jarhead mentality.

There were other things in Avatar that reminded me of his other movies like the military ships and mechs which had similar shapes to the ones in Aliens. Even the alien world reminded me of the undersea world in Abyss.

The plot didn't tread any new ground to be sure. It was amalgam of other movies like Dances with Wolves and Last Samurai where the main character initially disdains the indigenous people and through immersion in their culture comes to respect and love them. It was a safe story for his movie and one I'm sure most audiences would enjoy. It wasn't meant to be too thought provoking and was meant for family entertainment.

There's nothing more I can add about the visual effects other than they have to be seen in 3D to fully appreciate them. I don't know if it's quite as revolutionary was what Pixar did for animation, but it's extremely impressive nonetheless and I look forward to seeing what else can be created from this technology.

Elina
01-01-2010, 08:36 AM
I saw Avatar yesterday at a 3D theater. It was fascinating with all the 3D effects. The story itself was not much surprising, but I've seen worse. ;) But I can imagine that there will be several 3D movies coming soon. :D

Fedace
01-01-2010, 08:37 AM
I saw Avatar yesterday at a 3D theater. It was fascinating with all the 3D effects. The story itself was not much surprising, but I've seen worse. ;) But I can imagine that there will be several 3D movies coming soon. :D

Wow,, Finland has 3D theaters ??? you guys are more tech advanced than i thought ?? lol:)

FlamEnemY
01-03-2010, 02:51 PM
A mixture of excitement and an unpleasant anxiety filled me when I went to the cinema. I really, really wanted to relax and let the movie take me to a trip in an unimaginable world and I feared that it would ultimately fail, as did so many motion pictures before it.
You see, it's not easy to make me pay attention, it's kind of hard for me to lose myself in an artificial world presented to me on the big screen. Books, no problem. But not many movies make me stay silent and focused, caring for what happens.
So there I was, almost three hours later, and I couldn't believe my eyes. Wow. The film was exactly what it had to be. Pandora was alive, it was there, almost waiting for me to smell a flower, to feel the wind, to hear the jungle living around me. There were the Navi, glorious and powerful, and they seemed totally convincing. Everything seemed to click into place.
This movie is not about deep questions, it's not about making you think (despite some good ideas, namely the "way" of the Navi), but making you live with the characters in this utterly beautiful world. It succeeds.

I completely understand why someone might not like this film. But one shouldn't expect too much from it really - at least not too much outside of the CGI and the atmosphere, which is so vivid and alive you can almost touch it. Sometimes I hear people complaining how the film is dull, there are reviews on IMDB about the film being a "turning point for the worse", but it isn't. It's simply the old story told in this new, beautiful voice. As such, one can't expect great plot complexity, amazing character development and so on. The movie is fine for what it is and what it set out to be. I thoroughly enjoyed it, I'm glad I watched it and was able to free my mind for a couple of hours.

lovecr717
01-04-2010, 04:24 AM
I saw avatar 3D. And this movie, is seriously boring.

HellBunni
01-04-2010, 08:00 AM
I saw the movie in IMAX 3-D.
the effects were nice and cool.

but the plot needs some work.

spoilers.

1.) Why doesn't the main guy transfer before the last battle??? Since he already chose his side.

2.) OMG, does any of them know how to actually fight a battle? Inferior weapons, inferior numbers, plenty of cover, => hit and run tactics. Not charge head in and get slaughtered.

malakas
01-06-2010, 03:51 PM
just came back from the cinema.Didn't see it in 3D though.
I think it was an ok movie,but nothing remarkable that will stay with me for long.3.5/5 stars from me.

cyberwing88
01-06-2010, 06:15 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10012733@N07/4252893418/

cyberwing88
01-06-2010, 06:16 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10012733