PDA

View Full Version : BBO Rough vs BB Alu Power Rough

chancep2120
12-12-2009, 03:19 PM
In your own opinion how would you compare these.

PED
12-12-2009, 03:38 PM
BBO rough is a good deal stiffer than regular BBO and also ALU. I was warned of this same thing before I tried it last year. I didn't listen of course and after my first hit, I thought, wow this stuff is really stiff...lol

I love BBO smooth and ALU for those first 2 magical hours when its fresh but I really did not care for BBO rough at all. The spin was no better over BBO smooth and there was really no upside for me.

logicflawed
12-12-2009, 07:34 PM
I enjoy both strings, usually used in a hybrid. Just loses it after the first good hit. Switched over to Dunlop Explosive because it still feels good after the first couple of hours, but does lack the bite that ALU Rough has.

chancep2120
12-14-2009, 08:30 AM
How do you guys like them in a hybrid? Thats what I plan on doing with alu power if I dont like that then I'll probably go to power rough just for sh**ts and gigs

2ndserveace
12-14-2009, 10:13 AM
BBO rough is a good deal stiffer than regular BBO and also ALU. I was warned of this same thing before I tried it last year. I didn't listen of course and after my first hit, I thought, wow this stuff is really stiff...lol

I love BBO smooth and ALU for those first 2 magical hours when its fresh but I really did not care for BBO rough at all. The spin was no better over BBO smooth and there was really no upside for me.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but PED, how does revenge compare to BBO and Alu? I remember you raving about BBO in the past, and I'm wondering why you switched.

2ndserveace
12-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Also, to answer your most recent question, I would go with full Alu Rough to start. You might have problems with tension loss, but in my opinion both Big Bangers perform well when they're dead too. I've only ever tried a hybrid with Alu with natural gut and polys, but it has perfomred well in those hybrids also. The tension loss isn't as noticable if you hybrid it.

PED
12-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but PED, how does revenge compare to BBO and Alu? I remember you raving about BBO in the past, and I'm wondering why you switched.

I'm back on the BBO train :) I've got some coming (tomorrow I hope.)

The BBO did not work quite as well as PL2 in my Prestige Pro and I got a great deal on the PL2 so I moved to that back in May.

However, now that I'm with the YT Rad Pro with an even more open pattern, I think the BBO should be a match match made in heaven. I'm trying to drive through the ball more with less top and the BBO should def let me do that. The Rad def needs to be tamed as it's got alot of pop (but in a good way)

The Revenge is "fine" but I think that PL2 is just as nice for alot less money. When it's fresh, the Revenge is quite elastic with nice control and pop. In fact, after my first session, I was thinking that maybe this one is "it"

Now,I've got around 3.5 hours in this set (16g) and it's moving like crazy and the control is pretty much gone but I will add that it still feels ok-it's not dead but I'm spraying on the fh side.

I got a deal on one pack of Revenge to try and I'm glad I did but I prefer the firmer nature of BBO in this case. Revenge is much softer than either BBO or ALU but to me, the effective playability on the Revenge is similar to ALU-2 to 3 hours. For whatever reason, the BBO seems to last longer for me.

chancep2120
12-14-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm back on the BBO train :) I've got some coming (tomorrow I hope.)

The BBO did not work quite as well as PL2 in my Prestige Pro and I got a great deal on the PL2 so I moved to that back in May.

However, now that I'm with the YT Rad Pro with an even more open pattern, I think the BBO should be a match match made in heaven. I'm trying to drive through the ball more with less top and the BBO should def let me do that. The Rad def needs to be tamed as it's got alot of pop (but in a good way)

The Revenge is "fine" but I think that PL2 is just as nice for alot less money. When it's fresh, the Revenge is quite elastic with nice control and pop. In fact, after my first session, I was thinking that maybe this one is "it"

Now,I've got around 3.5 hours in this set (16g) and it's moving like crazy and the control is pretty much gone but I will add that it still feels ok-it's not dead but I'm spraying on the fh side.

I got a deal on one pack of Revenge to try and I'm glad I did but I prefer the firmer nature of BBO in this case. Revenge is much softer than either BBO or ALU but to me, the effective playability on the Revenge is similar to ALU-2 to 3 hours. For whatever reason, the BBO seems to last longer for me.

quite interesting, i had no idea that revenge moved so much. i just ordered some alu power and i'm gunna hybrid it with maxim touch. How do you guys think this is going to work for me? I'm a 4.5 playing college tennis and currently using a prestige tour 600.

PED
12-14-2009, 03:45 PM
quite interesting, i had no idea that revenge moved so much. i just ordered some alu power and i'm gunna hybrid it with maxim touch. How do you guys think this is going to work for me? I'm a 4.5 playing college tennis and currently using a prestige tour 600.

Bear in mind that my Rad Pro has a really open 16 19 pattern, the spacing seems even more open than usual so that likely accounts for alot of the beating the string is taking.

That alu/maxim combo is a winner: another user on here WAO, uses that setup and really like it. It should add a perfect mix of spin and power in the that PC600.

Regarding the Revenge, with that tight 18X20 pattern, I doubt the Revenge would move much at all and i would suggest using the 17g instead of the 16g. As I mentioned above, I don't find the Revenge to be worth the cash. Nothing wrong with it, but for $16 I want a little "wow" factor.

chancep2120
12-14-2009, 06:33 PM
Bear in mind that my Rad Pro has a really open 16 19 pattern, the spacing seems even more open than usual so that likely accounts for alot of the beating the string is taking.

That alu/maxim combo is a winner: another user on here WAO, uses that setup and really like it. It should add a perfect mix of spin and power in the that PC600.

Regarding the Revenge, with that tight 18X20 pattern, I doubt the Revenge would move much at all and i would suggest using the 17g instead of the 16g. As I mentioned above, I don't find the Revenge to be worth the cash. Nothing wrong with it, but for $16 I want a little "wow" factor.

Yeah I hear you on not wanting to pay for a mediocre string. Sorry for picking your brain but I have yet another question. Regarding BBO, I have a set and you said it was stiff. How do you think it would be with Maxim Touch in a hybrid?

Casco
12-14-2009, 06:45 PM
In your own opinion how would you compare these.

In the lab BBO Rough is stiffer, but ALU Rough plays firmer IMO. Better control with ALU Rough. Alu Rough has my been favorite string for quite some time, although I think I may now prefer WeissCannon Turbo Twist.

PED
12-15-2009, 04:06 AM
Yeah I hear you on not wanting to pay for a mediocre string. Sorry for picking your brain but I have yet another question. Regarding BBO, I have a set and you said it was stiff. How do you think it would be with Maxim Touch in a hybrid?

I love the stiff feeling of BBO smooth, it's just that the rough version of BBO is a good deal firmer to the point that I really didn't care for it. I can't really say that I was any less effective with the Rough version, I just didn't like the feedback I was getting off of it.

I use a full bed of BBO with no arm issues at all and TBH, BBO rough won't hurt your arm, it just that the extra stiffness did not bring out any improved qualities over BBO smooth.

Maxim is really an excellent hybrid string with about anything. A great value multi for the price and it would work quite well with BBO.

All the Lux family are great strings. When I first started using them a few years ago, I found that to be stiff but you tend to not only get used to that stiffness but to also crave it as that's what gives you the bite and control.

Feel free to ask all the questions you want, I like putting all the $ I've spent experimenting on strings into practice :)

jsomrak
12-15-2009, 06:21 AM
Bbo rough is the bomb!! Just ordered a reel. Hybrid or full, better maintenance of tension than alu!! I'm my opinion.

Fedace
12-15-2009, 06:32 AM

BBO being more stiff. does that mean it has less power than regular or alu power rough ?? i thought alu power rough was too powerful.

PED
12-15-2009, 06:37 AM
I think BBO does have less power than any of the ALU's. But, BBO is not low powered, with the 1.28mm size, the control is outstanding.

It's a tribute to Safin that he produced the power he did with BBO in that little Head Mid. That thick string in a tight pattern would be like a board IMO. Scary

The ALU's all have that explosiveness off the stringbed-especially when new.

Fedace
12-15-2009, 06:50 AM
I think BBO does have less power than any of the ALU's. But, BBO is not low powered, with the 1.28mm size, the control is outstanding.

It's a tribute to Safin that he produced the power he did with BBO in that little Head Mid. That thick string in a tight pattern would be like a board IMO. Scary

The ALU's all have that explosiveness off the stringbed-especially when new.

Sorry i meant to say BBO Rough.. how was that in power in relation to alu power rough. also how was it in stiffness and control ? and does it compare well to Pro hurr tour ??

chancep2120
12-15-2009, 07:44 AM
I love the stiff feeling of BBO smooth, it's just that the rough version of BBO is a good deal firmer to the point that I really didn't care for it. I can't really say that I was any less effective with the Rough version, I just didn't like the feedback I was getting off of it.

I use a full bed of BBO with no arm issues at all and TBH, BBO rough won't hurt your arm, it just that the extra stiffness did not bring out any improved qualities over BBO smooth.

Maxim is really an excellent hybrid string with about anything. A great value multi for the price and it would work quite well with BBO.

All the Lux family are great strings. When I first started using them a few years ago, I found that to be stiff but you tend to not only get used to that stiffness but to also crave it as that's what gives you the bite and control.

Feel free to ask all the questions you want, I like putting all the $ I've spent experimenting on strings into practice :)

PED - thanks a ton for your input

chancep2120
12-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Sorry i meant to say BBO Rough.. how was that in power in relation to alu power rough. also how was it in stiffness and control ? and does it compare well to Pro hurr tour ??

i've heard from alot of people that pro hurricane tour is not the best poly to use.

PED
12-16-2009, 04:39 PM

The only really diff between BBO Rough and Smooth is the amount of harshness. The playing characteristics are very similar but the Smooth is easier on the arm and less jarring.

I used PHT for quite some time back in 2007 in the 16g. I loved it but it dropped tension too quickly for me. Given the choice, I'd rather use PHT over BBO rough, but I'd rather use BBO smooth over PHT.

Fedace
12-16-2009, 05:28 PM
i've heard from alot of people that pro hurricane tour is not the best poly to use.

most people here will disagree with you...

chancep2120
12-17-2009, 03:58 AM
most people here will disagree with you...

Well fedace, most people just disagree with you in general. so i dont really care what you have to say. sorry dude.

jcstennis
12-17-2009, 04:03 AM

i play with a guy who uses a PT600 with SPPP/Maxim Touch hybrid and it feels really nice (more the racquet than the strings i would say)... i have set up ALUP with MT before and it gots some pop to it... what type of game do you play and what tension(s) do you like with your racquet?

chancep2120
12-17-2009, 06:34 AM
i play with a guy who uses a PT600 with SPPP/Maxim Touch hybrid and it feels really nice (more the racquet than the strings i would say)... i have set up ALUP with MT before and it gots some pop to it... what type of game do you play and what tension(s) do you like with your racquet?

I mostly play baseline but i would like to be an all around player, as I like to serve and volley, chip and charge, utilize drop shots and all that good stuff. I'm trying ALU in the mains and Touch in the crosses, 50/54. I might even go lower with the poly maybe around 48. How do you guys think that would sound?