PDA

View Full Version : pain in top front of thigh

backhand9
12-12-2009, 04:56 PM
started a week ago shortly after i finished hitting...sharp pain at upper thigh hasn't gotten any better. especially hurts when i try to lift my leg...as in getting in a car. doesn't feel like a normal muscle strain. same leg, right leg, on which l have been working on loading on my forehand.

i'm 52...i like to do research to get ideas of what is going on...any ideas? would an orthopedist be the correct doctor to see? thx.

mike53
12-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Wear compression shorts when you play tennis. Treat the area with ice after playing. The guys below were nice enough to provide a test for returning to activity:

http://www.kapiolani.org/docs/orthopedic/Hip%20Flexor%20Strain.pdf

My family doctor would handle this (probably with ultrasound) and an orthopedist is certainly completely qualified to treat you for this.

fuzz nation
12-14-2009, 09:27 AM
Sounds very familiar. I tore a muscle in the area you're describing back in my soccer days. We were racing one-on-one at the track and suddenly it felt like I'd been stabbed in the thigh. Like you, I'd only feel it when lifting my leg to bring it back forward or lift it up in front of me.

The good news is that it healed, but it took a little while, not just a long weekend. If that's what's going of for you, you'll need some time off to let it mend. Ice it if it still hurts, but eventually you can probably give it some heat to encourage circulation and repair. Give it a few weeks, even if it doesn't hurt anymore - it was miserable when I went back out too soon after my tear (the team needed me!) and re-tweaked it. Walks are okay, but you don't want to be going anywhere near full speed until you've felt 100% for a while. I've torn and re-torn abs, too and muscles seem to need a good three or four weeks for small tears to start getting back to normal.

If you're concerned about it, get checked by a professional. This is obviously more than a garden variety strain that some aspirin and couple days off can take care of, right?

backhand9
12-14-2009, 04:29 PM
major thanks to both of you for your responses. the info you provided was very helpful.