PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION X-One users ONLY ! Which gauge do you prefer and WHY ?

ClubHoUno
12-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Hello to all X-One users :mrgreen:

I'm about to buy 10 packs of the X-One, as I got a good offer on it.

Unfortunately it doesn't come in reels, otherwise I would have bought a 200 meter reel of it.

I will use as my main string in 2 of my Bab Pure Storm Tour GT racquets in a hybrid with my favorite CROSS CoPoly, Signum Pro Hyperion 1.24, so will have to do some tests - but would like to hear from you X-One users, which gauge you prefer and why - list your playability reasons, durability reasons and comfort reasons for choosing that particular gauge of the X-One string :D

I still prefer the Babolat Xcel Power 16 as my favorite CROSS Multi string in a hybrid, because of its combination of crispness and softness.

But when it comes to main string in a hybrid, I think I prefer the X-One for it's slightly more poly like feel (relatively speaking of course)

I have tested the red and natural version and heate the red compared to the natural, so will only buy the natural colored version of X-One.

I'm tempted to get the thin X-one 1.18 because it's listed as the second best multi ever, when it comes to tension loss after 24 hours.
I will use string savers, so hope to get 8-10 hours out of an X-One mains hybrid with the Signum Pro Hyperion in the crosses.

Looking forward to hear comments from X-One fans (and if any.....X-One haters) :P

Fedace
12-13-2009, 07:00 AM
I use 17 gauge most of the time. I will use 18 gauge if i am using very stiff poly in the crosses. but i had some issues with 18 gauge with control issues. Balls will fly long sometimes with 18g due to more trampoline effect.

ClubHoUno
12-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Thought there would be more X-One users out there :P

v205
12-14-2009, 03:01 AM
If u want more control and/or durability. Get 16g.
For a bit more feel and/or power (possibly in a dense 18x20 racquet) then maybe try a thinner 17g at the expense of durability.

If you can't seem to get the ball over the net no matter how hard you swing.... then try 18g. ;)

MarrratSafin
12-14-2009, 03:23 AM
I like thinner gauges and for polys will usually use 1.10-1.20mm if available but as X-1 is really not durable at all I prefer the 1.24mm. It also has less power and better control than the 1.18, and as it's a pretty powerful string already the 1.24 is just about right for me. And X-1 is my favourite multi by far, if only I can get a set of Laserfibre Supernatural to compare.:( I've heard such great things about that string too but unfortunately the company just doesn't want to do business!

DrpShot!
12-14-2009, 08:30 AM
I've been using the 16g, recently the weather turned cold, played a couple matches with temps in the low 40s to high 30s, didn't like the X1 at all, it felt really dead, balls were landing short, no normal pop on the serve...just didn't feel the pocketing and power it has in normal weather. I haven't tried the 17g but think I need to try it.

JavierLW
12-14-2009, 02:05 PM
I hardly ever break strings so I have no need for 16g. I had never used an 18g so didnt want to rock the boat so to speak so I settled with 17g.

But now I dont use X1 anymore at all, so who knows?

I did have a lot of great matches with X1, but I liked a softer string more.

(Ive used all gut for awhile (Wilson), all Isospeed pro, and now gg/iso)

ClubHoUno
12-14-2009, 03:30 PM
I use 17 gauge most of the time. I will use 18 gauge if i am using very stiff poly in the crosses. but i had some issues with 18 gauge with control issues. Balls will fly long sometimes with 18g due to more trampoline effect.

Have been testing a pack of the 17 and a pack of the 18 gauge this weekend - both as main strings in a hybrid with Hyperion 1.24 in the crosses and I agree, that while the think 18 gauge feels nice, It's just too powerfull and harder to control. I really like the 17 gauge and this will be my new favorite multi wet weather string a long with the Xcel Power.

After Laserfibre went down and with them the best multi ever - Supernatural Gut Prostock - X-One and Xcel Power are my 2 favorite multis, not even KGUT, KGUT Pro, NRG2 and EXPLOSIV stand a chance.

Favorite multi as cross in hybrid with Tornado mains is Xcel Power 16.
Favorite multi as mains in hybrid with Hyperion crosses is X-One 17.

I've been using the 16g, recently the weather turned cold, played a couple matches with temps in the low 40s to high 30s, didn't like the X1 at all, it felt really dead, balls were landing short, no normal pop on the serve...just didn't feel the pocketing and power it has in normal weather. I haven't tried the 17g but think I need to try it.

Definitely try the 17 gauge, It's much softer and plays nice than the 16 gauge - especially as a main string. You can hybrid it with a good CoPoly for more control.

I like thinner gauges and for polys will usually use 1.10-1.20mm if available but as X-1 is really not durable at all I prefer the 1.24mm. It also has less power and better control than the 1.18, and as it's a pretty powerful string already the 1.24 is just about right for me. And X-1 is my favourite multi by far, if only I can get a set of Laserfibre Supernatural to compare.:( I've heard such great things about that string too but unfortunately the company just doesn't want to do business!

Funny you should mention the Laserfibre Supernatural Gut Prostock string, which in my view was BY FAR the best multi ever.

I still have one bag left in 16 gauge and will test up against X-One and Xcel Power a Finally time - but I already know the result, just have to test it and try to remember just how good this multi was - so sad It's gone :(

I hardly ever break strings so I have no need for 16g. I had never used an 18g so didnt want to rock the boat so to speak so I settled with 17g.

But now I dont use X1 anymore at all, so who knows?

I did have a lot of great matches with X1, but I liked a softer string more.

(Ive used all gut for awhile (Wilson), all Isospeed pro, and now gg/iso)

How man good hours do you get out of that Natty gut/Isospeed Pro hybrid ?

Fedace
12-14-2009, 03:34 PM
^^^Clubhobo. What do you think about Xcel power 17 gauge. they don't make that in 18g, don't think. do you think it has more power or control than X-1 biphase ??

ClubHoUno
12-14-2009, 04:05 PM
^^^Clubhobo. What do you think about Xcel power 17 gauge. they don't make that in 18g, don't think. do you think it has more power or control than X-1 biphase ??

I also like the 17 gauge of the Xcel Power - very good multi also, and if I didn't went for the X-One 17 gauge as my favorite multi MAIN STRING, I surely would have consider the Xcel Power 17.

I went for Xcel Power 16, because I only intend to use it as a cross string in a hybrid with Tornado 1.17 mains, and as such opted for the Xcel Power 16, because it has better tension stability than the Xcel Power 17 and is a bit more stiff & control orientated and moves less, which is what I'm looking for in PRIME multi hybrid CROSS string.

What I look for in a multi hybrid MAIN string is what I normally find in thinner 17 gauge strings, like the X-One 17, which gives me a nice blend of power, spin, control and softness, but not a mushy feel, which some 17 gauge multis in my view will give you.

I use my Natty gut setups, when I want soft, elastic and nice power feel. Multis give me a chance to test other setups, which also will work in wet weather and changing string setups several times a month is a lot more easy on your wallet, than when you play with & test Hybrids with VS NATTY GUT in the mix.

I'm done testing Hybrids with Natty GUT - as I think I found the PERFECT nattygut - CoPoly HYBRID, but is still testing with Hybrids of PRIME MULTIS and very good CoPolys.

I really think you should give the Xcel Power a test - It's softer than X-One, so It's GREAT in a hybrid with a stiffer CoPoly, and it plays more uniform from start to finish, while the X-One can feel quite hard the first hour or two and then softens up.