PDA

View Full Version : Swimmers?

Serve_Ace
12-12-2009, 06:57 PM
We got any swimmers on this forum?
Competitive, casual, and for all those who enjoy swimming!
Discuss personal times, competitions, techniques. Anything about swimming really!
H20, two part heart, one part obsession

mental midget
12-12-2009, 07:09 PM
yep, was discussing it a bit in a cycling/triathlon thread i got going, but this is a better idea.

don't do anything competitive at the moment apart from tris, but starting to look into local/usms competitions. swim pretty regularly, mostly abbreviated workouts from back in the day, mix it up between long distance days, and various short/mid distance stuff, the usual 100/200s, IMs, etc. was a pretty good HS swimmer, never followed it into college.

great workout, but honestly, i haven't found much carry-over with regards to improving tennis, maybe overall cardio, but you can certainly be in great swim shape, and terrible tennis shape.

Serve_Ace
12-12-2009, 07:16 PM
yep, was discussing it a bit in a cycling/triathlon thread i got going, but this is a better idea.

don't do anything competitive at the moment apart from tris, but starting to look into local/usms competitions. swim pretty regularly, mostly abbreviated workouts from back in the day, mix it up between long distance days, and various short/mid distance stuff, the usual 100/200s, IMs, etc. was a pretty good HS swimmer, never followed it into college.

great workout, but honestly, i haven't found much carry-over with regards to improving tennis, maybe overall cardio, but you can certainly be in great swim shape, and terrible tennis shape.

Haha true, true. I swim for my high school. Both as a sprinter and long distance. It really is a great workout but it def is one of those sports the more in shape you are the easier the work out seems. I know that may be the same with other sports but swimming is just on of those things where you have to consistently work with it, or else your level can drop off dramatically. And you're right, when I do my swimming, I stop tennis for about 3-4 months, and when trying to get back into tennis shape, everything feels just too flexible, like when hitting a forehand my wrist would just bend back too much at an impact of a ball. But I love swimming! Can't get enough of it!!

Steve Huff
12-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Both my kids swim. They are now 20 and 17. Both swam competitively, year round, since they were 6. My daughter swims club swimming in college. My son swims for HS now. US Swimming has kind of dropped off since he got into music. Both are in great shape though. My son still wins some sprints in free and fly. He's in the 22-23 second range in the 50 free.

Serve_Ace
12-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Both my kids swim. They are now 20 and 17. Both swam competitively, year round, since they were 6. My daughter swims club swimming in college. My son swims for HS now. US Swimming has kind of dropped off since he got into music. Both are in great shape though. My son still wins some sprints in free and fly. He's in the 22-23 second range in the 50 free.

Sounds fast! Haha I guess your son was one of those kids that kinda burned out? Swimming a lot does take a toll on a person. Well your daughter still swims! So it's cool!

skyzoo
12-12-2009, 08:32 PM
I guess I'll throw some times out there im a senior in HS

50 free: 22:07
100 free: 50:20
400 freestyle on school record team

It's a shame swimming isn't fun at all or I might try. I probably could go 46-47 if I swam year round and lifted.

malakas
12-12-2009, 08:38 PM
I love swimming.I swim recreationally about 2-3 a week and for about 2 kms all styles-except butterfly never managed to master it :?.
It's the best way to relax mentally.:)

Serve_Ace
12-13-2009, 04:55 PM
I love swimming.I swim recreationally about 2-3 a week and for about 2 kms all styles-except butterfly never managed to master it :?.
It's the best way to relax mentally.:)

Yeah! Def!! Swimming is a great was too stay and shape and cool down.

skyzoo
12-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Yeah! Def!! Swimming is a great was too stay and shape and cool down.
unless you're forced to swim

heartman
12-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Was a swimmer in high school about a hundred years ago - grimly remember those two-a-days...don't miss it for even a second. Competitive swimming a very hard work.

heycal
12-13-2009, 08:14 PM
I swam a leisurely breast stroke across the Hudson River once.

coyfish
12-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Im a triathlete and I swim a little bit. Most boring thing ever lol. I don't know how true swimmers do it. Back and forth back and forth. Nothing to see, nothing to hear . . . yawn. Its relaxing but it gets old fast lol.

chrisplchs
12-13-2009, 11:52 PM
I can honestly say swimming is by far one of the most taxing activities ever. I have so much respect for the Olympians and their 400/800 warmup-cool down.

malakas
12-14-2009, 12:01 AM
Im a triathlete and I swim a little bit. Most boring thing ever lol. I don't know how true swimmers do it. Back and forth back and forth. Nothing to see, nothing to hear . . . yawn. Its relaxing but it gets old fast lol.

I used to not like swimming because it was just "counting tiles".But if you lead a stressful life it is the best way to cool off,take your mind off the problems and relax.It has been compared to yoga and meditation as to the effects it has psychologically.I love tennis because it is exciting and interesting but I also love swimming because of the opposite.I think the best it is to combine.:)

crosscourt
12-14-2009, 01:51 AM
I agree with you malakas. Getting in the water and concentrating on your stroke is a good way to break with the daily battle.

malakas
12-14-2009, 01:55 AM
I agree with you malakas. Getting in the water and concentrating on your stroke is a good way to break with the daily battle.

do you say it ironically?:)I hope not,because it is a very stress relieving exercise.

skyzoo
12-14-2009, 02:35 AM
Are we talking about competitive swimming (5000 yds a day) or relaxed swimming (400 yds a day)? Theres a huge difference.

malakas
12-14-2009, 02:38 AM
Recreationally.At least that's what I'm talking about.

crosscourt
12-14-2009, 04:43 AM
malakas -- I don't mean it at all ironically. I agree entirely about the pleasures and benefits of recreational swimming. (Please don't think that my occasional disagreement with you about novels and, god help us, international law, is anything more than that -- occasional disagreement.)

cc

malakas
12-14-2009, 04:45 AM
hahano of course not!:) On the contrary I appreciate VERY much a informed and interesting debate.But I am glad we found something to agree on.

SOY78
12-14-2009, 07:47 AM
I swim underwater. Does SCUBA count as swimming?

coyfish
12-14-2009, 08:33 AM
I swim underwater. Does SCUBA count as swimming?

I would say so :). Diving is very taxing as well. Ive been diving a few times a year since I was 13. AFter you finish your exhausted of the entire process of getting your crap together, getting to your spot, then swimming with waves for an hour. Great fun though.

Serve_Ace
12-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Diving does sound hard, but still sounds like a great experience!! Would like to try it some day.

djokster
12-30-2009, 06:10 PM
competitive swimmer for only the winter season. rest of year is tennis. could improve times a lot if i was a year-round swimmer.

50 free: 24.79
100 free: 58.39

sh@de
01-01-2010, 05:20 AM
I used to be a competitive swimmer two years ago when I was 14. Then I had to stop just before I turned 15 because of pneumomediastinum. I was about top 5 in my age group in Hong Kong.

skyzoo
01-01-2010, 05:31 AM
Just lettin everyone know I purchased a LZR jammer for $10 yesterday. It's illegal but I plan on doing a time trail with it and seeing if I can get my 100 freestyle down to 47 seconds. I saved at least $250 also.

Uvijek Argen
01-01-2010, 05:41 AM
My parents put me in a swimming team since I was 4 years old, when I turned 12 then I switch to Water Polo,played on and off until my mid 20's. Then discover that I was natural at tennis and never switch back since then.
One problem for me its since I being doing sports at a very young age my body get used to do workout at least 4 or 5 times at week, and if I don't I gain weight FAST.....doesn't happen to you guys??

Steve Huff
01-01-2010, 06:39 AM
The thing I like most about my kids swimming is the competition is really just you and the stopwatch. You don't have to worry about your opponent making bad line calls, favoritism by umpires or refs (or just plain bad ones), no subjective scoring etc.

sh@de
01-01-2010, 06:47 AM
Just lettin everyone know I purchased a LZR jammer for $10 yesterday. It's illegal but I plan on doing a time trail with it and seeing if I can get my 100 freestyle down to 47 seconds. I saved at least $250 also.

you mean 47 for 100 yards or metres...? If it's metres... you're world class :) Must be yards...?

skyzoo
01-01-2010, 07:46 AM
you mean 47 for 100 yards or metres...? If it's metres... you're world class :) Must be yards...?
Yards. I swam a 50.20 last year, but this suit is like nothing I've ever seen or felt before so I'm guessing i'll drop a huge amount. I'm siked even though I can't use it at my state meet.

sh@de
01-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Yards. I swam a 50.20 last year, but this suit is like nothing I've ever seen or felt before so I'm guessing i'll drop a huge amount. I'm siked even though I can't use it at my state meet.

Wow the suit feels that special? I used a fastskin pro before, do you know how the two compare?

TennisNinja
01-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Yep, used to be on a swim team. Then stopped for tennis :p

psb1nxt7
01-01-2010, 08:58 PM
My brother was a competitive swimmer and swam 4 years of varsity and made state three years in a row in the 100 Free with a time of 47ish in his senior year. Also made state in the 200 two years. He decided against swimming in college because of academics.

skyzoo
01-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Wow the suit feels that special? I used a fastskin pro before, do you know how the two compare?
the FS Pro doesn't have the panels on it and is made of LZR Pulse fabric, Where the LZR has LZR pulse fabric and panels fused together.

sh@de
01-01-2010, 10:10 PM
the FS Pro doesn't have the panels on it and is made of LZR Pulse fabric, Where the LZR has LZR pulse fabric and panels fused together.

Yeah I know that, I was meaning how they compared in terms of how they felt in the water. Have you tried it yet?

skyzoo
01-02-2010, 04:27 AM
Yeah I know that, I was meaning how they compared in terms of how they felt in the water. Have you tried it yet?
I'm waiting til practice the week before states so I can get a fresh time trail out of it. The feel of the suits in my hand are different though. The LZR doesn't even feel like a suit at all. The panels feel like paper.

sh@de
01-02-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm waiting til practice the week before states so I can get a fresh time trail out of it. The feel of the suits in my hand are different though. The LZR doesn't even feel like a suit at all. The panels feel like paper.

HAHA wow really? Good luck with the suit then. I wonder what those Arena or Jaked suits must be like if they were supposedly way better than even the LZR...

skyzoo
01-02-2010, 08:26 PM
HAHA wow really? Good luck with the suit then. I wonder what those Arena or Jaked suits must be like if they were supposedly way better than even the LZR...
Good question. My friend swam at nationals last month wearing an FS Pro Body suit and in his 200 freestyle event he raced a kid in the opening events who was wearing the same suit. My friend subsequently beat the kid by 2 seconds. During the final heats, the same kid who my friend beat by 2 seconds is now sporting an Arena X-1 Glyder. The kid than proceded to beat my friend by 3 seconds. I'd say they help an almost unfair amount.

Roy125
01-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Swimming brings back bad memories for me. When I was younger I was at the deep part of the pool and kept on jumping up and down into and out of the water to get air. I can float however, but I can't swim :).

sh@de
01-04-2010, 02:30 AM
Good question. My friend swam at nationals last month wearing an FS Pro Body suit and in his 200 freestyle event he raced a kid in the opening events who was wearing the same suit. My friend subsequently beat the kid by 2 seconds. During the final heats, the same kid who my friend beat by 2 seconds is now sporting an Arena X-1 Glyder. The kid than proceded to beat my friend by 3 seconds. I'd say they help an almost unfair amount.

Hmm... ok maybe the suit helped, but I doubt all of the 5 seconds came from the suit... the kid was probably not swimming his fullest in the heats.

But, I'm not doubting that the suit helps a lot, and I wouldn't be surprised if the suit was what actually helped the kid beat your friend. It is unfair.