PDA

View Full Version : I can only play with one grip on groundstrokes, is that a problem?

Clay lover
12-13-2009, 12:32 AM
I dunno if it is my because of physical constraints, or my lack of talent, but I can only hit my groundstrokes consistently when using a western/extreme semiwestern grip. Any grip above that I am horribly incosistent. Is it a problem for my game or should I just focus on improving my western grip forehand?

Blake0
12-13-2009, 09:59 AM
It's really your choice and what you want. IF you want to hit flatter you might have to switch grips and go from there, but if you like the way you hit now keep the same grip and keep on improving and learn to flatten out your shot with your western grip. You might not be able to flatten it out as much as an eastern but you'll be able to with more spin.

It's not really because of a lack of talent, it's mostly because (i'm assuming this) you started off with a western grip or switched very soon. So your body/arm is accustomed to hit that way. You'd have to change your form quite a bit to suit a new grip if you want to switch. Basically you would have to unteach your body and arm the old way and then ingrain another tennis technique.

darthpwner
12-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Not really, since using a semi-western both sides requires you to only hit on opposite faces of the racket for the forehand and backhand. Many great players like Guga and Henin use that.