PDA

View Full Version : Similar strings to SPPP?

mawashi
12-13-2009, 01:26 AM
Hi,

I usually us a hybrid of kevlar/poly but I had the chance to hit with a buddy's stick with a full bed of SPPP 1.23 and it was great!

What impressed me the most about SPPP s that it had the ball pocketing of a multi or decent syn gut and the spin of a poly, it also has great feel for a poly.

Guess that I'm going to try out some strings for comparison so could you guys recommend some similar strings?

Tried out these strings already:
PolyForce, very nice, a bit stiff n gave me aches but has control, spin in spades, slightly lacking in feel.
Poly soft, didn't like it one bit.
Cyber Blue, very comfortable but feels mushy, good spin, nice durability, just too soft for my tastes.
Silver string, very nice except slightly low in power n so so spin n feel. Good durability though.
Lux strings are too expensive for me to consider them.

Many thanks.

mawashi

DennisK
12-13-2009, 07:21 AM
The obvious choice would be SP Blackline Hyperion. Very similar to SPPP, but with a bit more pop and bite. Its a great string.

ClubHoUno
12-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Try Signum Pro Hyperion 1.24. A bit more power, better feel, better tension and elasticity maintenance and nice black color 8-)

PeterFig
12-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Another vote for Hyperion - just switched from SPPP to Hyperion - similar string but just a bit nicer. However the SPPP is still a great string - and about 2/3 the price.

mawashi
12-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks guys, I actually already have a pack of hyperion but haven't used it cus I read on some another string forum that hyperion did not have better durability compared to SPPP.

Anyway, I'll go try it out first. Any other strings to compare it against so I can do a more complete evaluation?

Thanks

mawashi

ClubHoUno
12-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks guys, I actually already have a pack of hyperion but haven't used it cus I read on some another string forum that hyperion did not have better durability compared to SPPP.

Anyway, I'll go try it out first. Any other strings to compare it against so I can do a more complete evaluation?

Thanks

mawashi

It does not - Hyperion is not a very durable CoPoly - but it plays really nice, unless you like a hard stiff Luxilon like string of course :oops:

mawashi
12-13-2009, 06:46 PM
It does not - Hyperion is not a very durable CoPoly - but it plays really nice, unless you like a hard stiff Luxilon like string of course :oops:

Thanks, guess that I'll have to string both up n see which one plays better for me :)

I do prefer durability as I'm used to the durability n feel of kevlar. SPPP is nice cus of the fairly crisp feel, nice spin n good comfort. I've only tried alu power, bbo n rough and although, they played nice, the price was not something I would spend on for poly.

Will give SPPP, SPPPP & Hyperion more time.

mawashi

Forgot to ask in order to get the same feel, do I have to string higher for SPPPP over SPPP as one is softer? Also, which one has better overall durability?

Thanks

coloskier
12-14-2009, 05:59 AM
Topspin Cyberblue is a lot like SPPP orange.

mawashi
12-14-2009, 06:38 AM
Topspin Cyberblue is a lot like SPPP orange.

Not really... as mentioned in my first post.

mawashi

blackfrido
12-14-2009, 06:48 AM
Hi,

I usually us a hybrid of kevlar/poly but I had the chance to hit with a buddy's stick with a full bed of SPPP 1.23 and it was great!

What impressed me the most about SPPP s that it had the ball pocketing of a multi or decent syn gut and the spin of a poly, it also has great feel for a poly.

Guess that I'm going to try out some strings for comparison so could you guys recommend some similar strings?

Tried out these strings already:
PolyForce, very nice, a bit stiff n gave me aches but has control, spin in spades, slightly lacking in feel.
Poly soft, didn't like it one bit.
Cyber Blue, very comfortable but feels mushy, good spin, nice durability, just too soft for my tastes.
Silver string, very nice except slightly low in power n so so spin n feel. Good durability though.
Lux strings are too expensive for me to consider them.

Many thanks.

mawashi

the only thing that I don't like about SPPP is the color. Awesome string!

mawashi
12-14-2009, 06:56 AM
the only thing that I don't like about SPPP is the color. Awesome string!

That's why there's SPPPP.

mawashi

blackfrido
12-14-2009, 09:00 AM
^ I read so many things that is not the same string which prevents me to try it

mawashi
12-14-2009, 02:30 PM

It's not like $25 bucks a set... at $9 a pack whats the big deal?

mawashi

ClubHoUno
12-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks, guess that I'll have to string both up n see which one plays better for me :)

I do prefer durability as I'm used to the durability n feel of kevlar. SPPP is nice cus of the fairly crisp feel, nice spin n good comfort. I've only tried alu power, bbo n rough and although, they played nice, the price was not something I would spend on for poly.

Will give SPPP, SPPPP & Hyperion more time.

mawashi

Forgot to ask in order to get the same feel, do I have to string higher for SPPPP over SPPP as one is softer? Also, which one has better overall durability?

Thanks

SPPP: Harder and more stiff feel
SPPPP: A bit softer in feel than SPPP, but still not as soft as Hyperion
Hyperion: Softer in feel, but still with a very nice crisp touch to it. The best tension & elasticity maintenance of them all in my view and even a Non Poly fan could play a full set of Hyperion and not regret it :)

If you prefer the stiffer feel of SPPP, then string the Hyperion 3-4 lbs harder to get a stiffer feel from it.

ClubHoUno
12-14-2009, 02:43 PM
That's why there's SPPPP.

mawashi

I think we have a case similar to the X-One string, which comes in natural color and red. The red plays NOTHING like the natural one, but still plays very nice, but guys used to the natural colored X-One will probably not like the red colored X-One.

Same thing with SPPP versus SPPPP.
The SPPP is orange and plays a bit stiffer than the SPPPP, which is white/matte pale in color and is a bit softer in feel.

Casco
12-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Try WeissCannon Silver String.

mawashi
12-15-2009, 04:06 AM
I think we have a case similar to the X-One string, which comes in natural color and red. The red plays NOTHING like the natural one, but still plays very nice, but guys used to the natural colored X-One will probably not like the red colored X-One.

Same thing with SPPP versus SPPPP.
The SPPP is orange and plays a bit stiffer than the SPPPP, which is white/matte pale in color and is a bit softer in feel.

Yup, that's why I'll be getting a couple of packs of SPPPP & SPPP to see which plays better.

mawashi

blackfrido
12-15-2009, 07:21 AM
mawashi,

I don't mind $9.- string, I tired of trying different strings. The orange works nice in my Fischer M-speed pro #1 but I will try the white pure to see if really is different.

McLovin
12-15-2009, 07:42 AM
You may want to give Topspin Concept Pure a look, if for nothing else, you can tell me how it compares to SPPP and SPPPP (I was considering those two a few months ago but never tried them).

I tried Pure, liked it, so I stopped my search. I was looking for a replacement for CyberFlash, which was killing my wrist.