PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about these players?

Tenny
04-20-2005, 05:33 PM
Hi, Tennis gurus!

I've made a list of players I know the name but not their style and accomplishment. Can you enlighten me a little? I never saw them playing. Any input would be appreciated!

1. Kevin Curren
2. Michael Stich
3. Aron Krickstein
4. Mark Philippoussis
5. Y. Kafelnikov
6. A. Corretja
7. El Aynaoui
8. Magnus Norman
9. Sergei Bruguera
10. Petr Korda

scoot
04-20-2005, 05:42 PM
stich - won wimbledon - smoothest server ever, very talented relaxed style of play. should have won more slams

krickstein - was an american prodigy in the late 80s that never accomplished anything great of what was expected of him. had classic 5 set battles vs. connors and others at the US Open. was a quick baseliner grinder who played with quite a bit of topspin on both forehand and backhand but no major weapons.

phillip - big lumberjack aussie with huge game esp serve. never reached potential b/c of injuries but almost won wimby (was killing sampras in teh semis one year b4 injuring himself in the match and having to withdraw)

corretja - good spanish claycourter with decent hardcourt results. never won RG but reached the final there & had a classic USO 4th round match vs. sampras in which sampras came back and won saving mps and vomiting. quick but no major weapons.

Bruguera - 2 x RG winner - great clay court player with heavy, heavy topspinning forehand, good flat two handed backhand, didnt do much on hardcourt but did reach a Lipton final losing to muster i think.

Korda - very talented lanky lefty player, won the AO but underachieved otherwise, should have won more. Great hand-eye coordination, when "on" hit amazing laser groundstrokes taking the ball very early.

Haka Boy
04-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Mark Philippoussis has never reached his full potential. Some critics have blamed this on his "love of life" versus his dedication to the game of tennis.

Bertchel Banks
04-20-2005, 06:08 PM
phillip - big lumberjack aussie with huge game esp serve. never reached potential b/c of injuries but almost won wimby (was killing sampras in teh semis one year b4 injuring himself in the match and having to withdraw)

It was a precursor to the whipping Pete got from Safin in New York the next year.

gugafanatic
04-20-2005, 06:12 PM
mark philippoussis nicknamed the "scud" due to hes big weapon the serve. Made a great comeback after injury in 2003 reaching the final at Wimbledon. The 26-year-old spent more than two months in a wheelchair and was told he might never play again after the third operation on his left knee in the space of 14 months prior to wimby 03. I think hes father was also battled cancer before wimb 03, soo getting to the final was one of hes highlights. IMO predominantly a grass court player, and I think he held the record for fastest serve??. Not sure whats up with him now??

Bertchel Banks
04-20-2005, 06:17 PM
5. Kafelnikov
Very machanical, good at net, lazy player, could have made better use of transition game. double-backhand

7. El Aynaoui
Very physical, very hyper, loads of energy. Legs, arms, dreads (for the most part), and teeth all over the place. single-backhand

8. Magnus Norman
Rough, Rugged, very physical playing style. double-backhand

Haka Boy
04-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Not sure whats up with him now??
Unfortunately was out with another injury, but is apparently scheduled to play in a challenger in Tennessee.

spinbalz
04-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Kevin curren : Pure S&V player, hardly knew how to hit a groundstroke, reached the Wimbledon Final. Ace machine at times, on grass courts.

El Aynaoui : from marocco, tall guy, with a great forehand, and a backhand that he always slices, good first serve, not so good second serve. His quarterfinal in the Australian Open 2 years ago against Roddick will stay in history.

Kafelnikov : used to win 10 matches in a row against good to great players only to surprisingly lose a first round in a small tournament against a "nobody" weak player ranked outside of the top 200. But Kafel is a lucky guy, because each times that he lost against a "nobody", he used to have the good idea (or call it intuition) to bet 1 million $ on his own defeat before the match... His favorite sentence : "Give me the money".

Magnus Norman : reached the french open final that he lost against guga, was Hingis's boyfriend (yeah I know, 1 in a milllion...).

Aaron Krickstein : came to the net only to shake hands, good tactical choice from him given his total lack of volleying skill, in comparison Roddick is a magician at net.

gugafanatic
04-20-2005, 06:26 PM
ThANKS HAKA.

Magnus Norman (FROM MY MEMORY)
Former world no 1, had some descent results at RG but never really broke throught at grand slam level. Terrific dog-scrap with Guga for the world no 1 in 2000. Exceptional movement and big weapons from the baseline. Unforortunately bogged down by hip injury and forced to retire in 2003.

Haka Boy
04-20-2005, 07:03 PM
I do remember years ago Magnas Norman being hailed as one of the new forces in tennis but then he just disappeared from the rankings.

fleabitten
04-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Tenny, try Google. It's a search engine. You can find out about things (and people) there.... geeeeeez.

Max G.
04-20-2005, 07:24 PM
OMG!

You asked about Bruguera!

Lets get !Tym in here!!!!

...anyhow. I can help you with Kafelnikov, I've seen him play, kind of liked him... Good baseliner with a double-handed backhand, and a forehand and serve that, from what I hear, could have been better weapons but weren't. He's won 26 singles titles and reached 20 finals; 2 of those wins were Grand Slams, he won the Australian once and the French once. Interestingly enough, never won a TMS, though he was in a couple of finals.

Known as the "iron man" - played ludicrous numbers of tournaments, including a full schedule in doubles. Usually had some bad weeks every once in a while where he'd lose to nobodies.

Briefly got to #1 for a couple of weeks, once. Hovered around the top five/top ten for a while.

VERY good doubles player - won a couple of doubles Grand Slams, doubles TMSs. Didn't use his volleys much in singles, from what I hear. A pity.

Had some great matches with Sampras and Agassi, he could hang with the best of them when he was in his prime. Though he was deathly scared of playing Sampras - I think that the one time he won the Australian Open, he included in his speech a couple of lines thanking Sampras for not playing that year and thus giving him a chance to win.

And he was Russian, helped Russia to one Davis Cup win - though that was in one of his last years on tour, he really didn't help the team in the final, Safin and Youzhy were the heroes of that - but Kafelnikov did his fair share in getting them to that final.

RealityPolice
04-20-2005, 08:48 PM
Hi, Tennis gurus!

I've made a list of players I know the name but not their style and accomplishment. Can you enlighten me a little? I never saw them playing. Any input would be appreciated!

1. Kevin Curren
2. Michael Stich
3. Aron Krickstein
4. Mark Philippoussis
5. Y. Kafelnikov
6. A. Corretja
7. El Aynaoui
8. Magnus Norman
9. Sergei Bruguera
10. Petr Korda

Stich-- one of the most effortless players in the game. Most beautiful service motion I've seen, yet could get it to 130 mph. Runner-up at FO, USO, in addition to Wimbledon win. A threat on any surface; has titles on each IIRC. Could show up grumpy and lose to a "nobody." Fine doubles player, too; won Olympic gold with Becker, and Wimbledon with an aging McEnroe.

Krickstein-- won a title at 15 or 16; spent most of his career as second banana to a parade of others in the American tennis firmament. Had a horrific experience playing Davis Cup against Paraguay, the details of which I don't recall, and probably gave the ATP trainers more business than any five other guys combined. One of those guys, like Michael Chang, who always gave what he had, win or lose, and never made excuses. Can be seen every year at the USO, playing Jimmy Connors during rain delays. :)

Kafelnikov-- one of the hardest working guys on the tour; often led in number of singles and doubles matches played-- and probably in number of matches tanked. Like Stich, a fine all-surface player who should have had better success, although his accomplishments aren't anything to sneeze at. Had a reputation as a bit of a whiner, fairly or unfairly.

el Aynaoui-- Mr. Excitement. A very talented player and a favourite among the fans. With Hicham Arazi, gave Morocco a solid Davis Cup team.

Norman-- could have been a contender, at least on clay. Had a lot of health issues, including heart trouble at one point (nothing Hingis-related, either).

Bruguera-- won silver at the Atlanta Olympics (?). Classic Spanish clay-courter, led the Armada of the 90s. Not one of the more exciting players to watch.

Korda-- incredible lefty talent, with a great one-handed backhand. Could play great or terrible on any surface. "Woodstock." Best move: the scissor-kick. Single Slam title unfortunately overshadowed by steroid scandal.

atatu
04-20-2005, 09:00 PM
Curren was a South African who played at the University of Texas. As has been mentioned, he had a huge serve. At Wimbledon, he beat Mac and Connors back to back....unfortunately for him, in the finals he faced a 17 year old German named Boris Becker. I remember he used a Kneissel frame and after he beat Mac, there was talk about new technology ruining tennis...sound familiar ?

Bertchel Banks
04-20-2005, 09:04 PM
I remember he used a Kneissel frame and after he beat Mac, there was talk about new technology ruining tennis...sound familiar ?

Well, ratings/interest/participation haven't been the same since. Pete Sampras.

West Coast Ace
04-20-2005, 09:45 PM
Norman: Scumbag! I had money on Norman to win RG that year. He mows down the field and has Guga on the ropes. All he has to do is win the 4th set tiebreaker - Guga's gas tank is empty. If it goes to a 5th set, Guga's not going to be able to put up any resistance. But Norman gags like a dog.

After that he was hit with one injury after another.

Spinbalz pretty much nailed Kafelnikov - he was too into the money. Probably could have won a lot more tournaments - and a few more majors - if he'd paced himself and not played every tournament - way too motivated by the cash - I wonder how much in appearance fees he pocketed. Very solid, deep groundies. I remember the AO final - Enquist looked like the greatest player of all time in the 1st set. YK didn't panic, kept at it and won the next 3. Then thanked Sampras for not playing in the tournament in his acceptance speech.

Tenny
04-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Tenny, try Google. It's a search engine. You can find out about things (and people) there.... geeeeeez.

Thanks everyone. Amazing you all!

And...
fleabitten, I see you have posted 33 times so far. I suggest you to try TW more. Do you think you can get this much insight/info from google? People at TW are wonderful and willing to share what they know. Also, I DO know what it is and how to use Google, thanks.

Aykhan Mammadov
04-21-2005, 01:17 PM
"Tell me about these players"...

I will not.

theace21
04-21-2005, 03:01 PM
Aaron Krickstein

Lost in the most replayed match during any rain delays at the US Open. Lost to Conners (age 39 on his birthday) - 4th round? - Krickstein was in his early 20's.

Tenny
04-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Aaron Krickstein

Lost in the most replayed match during any rain delays at the US Open. Lost to Conners (age 39 on his birthday) - 4th round? - Krickstein was in his early 20's.

Haha, it's sad that he will be remember for that match. I am almost obliged to watch the match someday. Thanks.

Tenny.

Tenny
04-21-2005, 03:22 PM
"Tell me about these players"...
I will not.

Thanks Aykhan anyway, just feel free to read all feedbacks. I learn a lot from these people!

Tenny
04-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Thanks people,

I enjoyed all the posts. I just saw a brief footage of Stich but not sure if I was impressed. It was way too short after all. I guess I need to get a DVD of him. Which was the better matchup, Becker vs. Stich or Sampras vs. Stich? Was the wimby final 1985 Becker df. Kurren entertaining and exciting? Kurren seems like a gentle guy...

T.