PDA

View Full Version : Identify Strings please

captinsane903
12-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Got this in the mail yesterday from Wilson. I signed up for the string testing before and got the Lux Adrenaline I think. But, this is totally different and was sorta confused with what it is. Any clue on the name? Type of string? Playability, durability, etc? Thanks.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg106/aznintheoutfield/IMG_3813-1.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg106/aznintheoutfield/IMG_3815.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg106/aznintheoutfield/IMG_3817.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg106/aznintheoutfield/IMG_3814.jpg

alidisperanza
12-13-2009, 10:15 AM
It looks almost like some sort of gut or Multi with the shine/wrap. Is it possible to unravel?

lawlitssoo1n
12-13-2009, 01:04 PM
looks like gut to me too

Lindsay
12-13-2009, 07:03 PM
You should have also received an email from Wilson with instructions NOT to post anything regarding the string online. You are supposed to play with it and form opinions of your own. By asking someone else, you are defeating the purpose of a playtest and could bias anyone else doing the playtest.

alidisperanza
12-13-2009, 10:44 PM
My apologies Linday, I didn't realize some took playtests to the letter. I agree with your point but I don't see how the name and type of string could hurt though. I'm relatively sure type at least would enhance one's playing experience as one would be more knowledgeable to tension ranges/ stringing requirements.

Lindsay
12-14-2009, 04:50 AM
String type and tension recommendation were included in your email.

Steve Huff
12-14-2009, 05:08 AM
1st one looks like some Victor Imperial natural gut in natural color.

PBODY99
12-14-2009, 10:40 AM
The e-mail and insert told you what you need to know to provide Wilson with useful data. Full bed usual tension for the type of string you got. Play it and record your experience. enjoy, the cost was slight. So you might not want to use it in a big match, most of us have multiple frames.

captinsane903
12-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Sounds good. I got the email, but I thought it was for the Lux Adrenaline I received like...weeks ago-not for this string that I just got.
I'll have to try this out soon when I get a chance.

**edit.
Actually, I just dug up the email from my archives and did find that this string is the one they wanted to playtest. Sorry for the confusion. The only thing they mentioned was that it wasn't a poly, that's all. =[

agassi fan
12-14-2009, 05:09 PM
how do u sign up for string play testing

jonnythan
12-14-2009, 05:11 PM
My apologies Linday, I didn't realize some took playtests to the letter. I agree with your point but I don't see how the name and type of string could hurt though. I'm relatively sure type at least would enhance one's playing experience as one would be more knowledgeable to tension ranges/ stringing requirements.

If you're told it's Wilson's newest high-end gut that Federer is using, you're going to rate it differently than if you're told it's their new super-cheap low-end synthetic intended to be used on their $25 racquets.

meowmix
12-14-2009, 05:31 PM
I have a guess about what it is... would somebody that's already playtested the string be willing to confirm/disprove my guess? Email me.

JoelDali
12-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Gut?

LOL.

Wow.

alidisperanza
12-15-2009, 01:51 PM
If you're told it's Wilson's newest high-end gut that Federer is using, you're going to rate it differently than if you're told it's their new super-cheap low-end synthetic intended to be used on their $25 racquets.

Not exactly what I meant Jonny.

I simply meant knowing whether it was Gut, Synthetic, Multifilament or Poly would be useful as a reference. Most of us here would just have to feel the string to be able to determine that but not all are as fortunate. Imagine taking someone who strings poly at lower tensions and stringing gut in their frame. It wouldn't be received well.

Also, like someone said above, the company usually gives some sort of general information about the string

agassi fan
12-18-2009, 03:31 PM
how do u sign up for string play testing

Lindsay
12-19-2009, 03:44 PM
It says in the email that this string is not a
poly, so do not string it as such. It is not natural gut. Manufacturers will never say "this is a synthetic gut". It's not that simple. Prince duraflex technically is a mulifilament, as is prince premier. They are lightyears apart. Luxilon will tell you that M2 is not a poly. But I'd classify it as such. They want you to think it's in it's own class. Your best bet is to actually playtest it. form your opinions from there.

alidisperanza
12-20-2009, 04:34 PM
I don't quite understand how you would classify prince synthetic gut with duraflex as a multifilament... It has a solid core with wraps no? Prince premiere is designed as a multi-filament with the thousands of tiny threads inside composing the string. On the other hand, M2 is classified as a "multifilament" made out of polyester. Although I've never played it, from what I understand It still isn't one solid string like the other monofilaments.

In the end, I think your last statement was the money shot. Playtest the stuff! That's what you got the set for in the first place.

diredesire
12-20-2009, 04:51 PM
sorry bud, there are clear instructions in your e-mail. Think about the point of a "blind" playtest, just play with the stuff and give your honest feedback.

Thread closed.