PDA

View Full Version : Levels vary by Section/State?

pgreg
12-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Has anybody else noticed this. I know South Carolina has a large tennis community, but they are always the weakest teams in just about every level. It just seems like their levels are .5 above what they should be. Also, if you look up some vids on youtube, you will see some players that say they are NTRP 5.0 or 5.5.....but have the strokes of a 4.0

Rodd4LSU
12-13-2009, 12:58 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=290144

raiden031
12-13-2009, 03:24 PM
I don't buy it. Most of the critiques of the YouTube videos here are just plain wrong. Alot of teams from the DC Metro area have done well at Nationals at all levels, yet I have seen players who look very bad game/stroke-wise playing at a high level time and time again. There is no way my area is weaker ratings-wise than the areas of all the board posters who think that a 4.0 needs to look like a pro on video.

I would say worst case is that some small out-of-touch area without alot of usta representation might have skewed ratings, but I would say any of the larger areas are probably pretty well in sync with the National rating system.

JLyon
12-13-2009, 03:56 PM
I don't buy it. Most of the critiques of the YouTube videos here are just plain wrong. Alot of teams from the DC Metro area have done well at Nationals at all levels, yet I have seen players who look very bad game/stroke-wise playing at a high level time and time again. There is no way my area is weaker ratings-wise than the areas of all the board posters who think that a 4.0 needs to look like a pro on video.

I would say worst case is that some small out-of-touch area without alot of usta representation might have skewed ratings, but I would say any of the larger areas are probably pretty well in sync with the National rating system.

Maybe AR would be a good one to notice having 9 players bumped to 5.0 out of a crop of 90 4.5 players in the state, or better yet 2 players bumped to 5.5 out of maybe 20 5.0's in the state. I am ok that the USTA is trying to level out the ratings but man their computer really screwed the pooch on several players with strange bump-ups and non-bumps, including several players whom went to Nationals and won matches, while players who lost every match at a level still got bumped.

burosky
12-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Has anybody else noticed this. I know South Carolina has a large tennis community, but they are always the weakest teams in just about every level. It just seems like their levels are .5 above what they should be. Also, if you look up some vids on youtube, you will see some players that say they are NTRP 5.0 or 5.5.....but have the strokes of a 4.0

Vids are not really a reliable indicator of a player's NTRP. Looks can be deceiving.