PDA

View Full Version : String Broke in Unusual Place...Should I charge customer?

brat42
12-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Hello, I just had a customer return a racquet for restriging and just wandering whether I should charge the customer as the string has broken in an unusual place. I strung the customers racquet last time.

It is a Prince Precision Reponse Titanium Midplus. Strung with Wilson Ultra Synthetic Gut 16 gauge. String broke on the 4th to 5th right main at the grommet and thinking it may be a kink last time I strung it. I haven't strung the racuet for several months at least and he is a club player.

Any advice would be great please.

brat42
12-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Strung at 54 pounds too.

meowmix
12-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Several months? I'd say no. If it was a few days, they sure, but if the string didn't break in several months, that means the guy shanked a ball.

SteveI
12-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Several months? I'd say no. If it was a few days, they sure, but if the string didn't break in several months, that months the guy shanked a ball.

I am guessing the guy shanked a ball, hit a ball near the frame.. whatever.. and the player used the frame for several months. If it was a kink it would have snapped much faster. You are joking right? No.. he does not get a free string job or his money back.

nCode747
12-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Did the customer ask for a free job?

jefferson
12-13-2009, 02:04 PM
A few months? He has got his money worth! Time to restring and pay you do it again!

MarrratSafin
12-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Charge him just like normal.. it's most likely a mishit (his fault not yours:)).

slow_duster
12-13-2009, 03:45 PM
I agree with all above, after this long I would say you are in the clear.

Blade0324
12-14-2009, 08:57 AM
I agrre with what others have said. A few months is pretty good for a string job in many cases. I am curious though is the racquet in question one that has the somewhat open bumper guard on it sort of wooven like? If so I have seen strings break on the outside of the frame due to the bumper being worn too far down on these as well as the O3's and speedports. Some of the Prince sticks had a bad design in that regards. Take a look at the bumper and see how it looks before stringing it again. They might need to replace it.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Several months heck no.

Lakers4Life
12-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Recently I've had a couple of rackets returned because the string broke after a few mins of play. One broke in the bag. I don't know if it has something to do with the weather, it's much colder now at night, but I make sure the customer sees the racket strung before returning it to them, in the cover.

Back to the OP's question: A few days, Yes. A few months, ask them what kind of drugs they are on?

downs_chris
12-14-2009, 10:50 AM
oh...i didn't see that it was MONTHS afterwards...i voted NO, but I meant yes...you should charge him after all that time...who knows how he treated the string? maybe it got hot and cold repeatedly...maybe the string just happened to be weak in that spot...

SirGounder
12-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Charge him because a few months is plenty for a string job.

Irvin
12-15-2009, 10:28 AM
The string broke at the 4th to 5th main at the grommet? I assume you mean it broke on the outside of the frame. I doubt that is a shank problem. Whether you charge him or not is up to you but if you did not replace the grommet he will be back quicker next time. What are you going to tell him then? Did you tell him why his string is breaking?

Irvin