PDA

View Full Version : Stringing tutorial videos needed

verbouge
12-13-2009, 02:43 PM
I've become interested in stringing recently after paying others to do it for many years. I go through lots of string, so this would save money and give me more latitude to experiment. I have access to a machine to learn on before I take the plunge and buy my own.

I've gone to Youtube and looked at lots of videos, but haven't found the perfect thread to show the process from start to finish.

Can you all post some links or at least give some suggestions on where to find what I'm looking for? Many of you seem to know a great deal about this subject.

Thank you in advance,
Dave

slow_duster
12-13-2009, 02:47 PM
you-tube 100's of videos. knots all kinds of help

slow_duster
12-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Sorry I just re-read your post. (about youtube)
What kind of stringer do you have? What part is giving you trouble?

meowmix
12-13-2009, 04:33 PM
What you should be looking for are Yulittle's videos. They give you a good idea about all parts of the stringing process, although there isn't one from start to finish. You can look up the ones that give you the info you want though.

COPEY
12-13-2009, 08:15 PM
I think I know where he's at. Before I did my first job I looked at lots of videos as well. Then the machine arrived, and for a minute I was lost as to where to start. I thought that it would be nice to have an established order of some sort to get you going. After getting things somewhat figured out I made this post (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=4027622&postcount=13). It's subjective, of course, but it should get you going in the right direction until you get comfortable with the process.

coyfish
12-13-2009, 10:15 PM
My stringer came with very clear instructions / illustrations. People make a big deal about this. Just buy a stringer and stop worrying about it. Its very easy.

Not to mention you don't have to buy an expensive machine. If your stringing for yourself juts get a cheap gamma X-2 or klippermate.

They work fine and people who blow 500+ on machines love to bash them to justify their own purchases.

Vermillion
12-13-2009, 10:19 PM
The process is very easy. Just takes practice to become faster.

beernutz
12-13-2009, 11:39 PM
What you should be looking for are Yulittle's videos. They give you a good idea about all parts of the stringing process, although there isn't one from start to finish. You can look up the ones that give you the info you want though.

I'll make it easy on him: http://www.youtube.com/user/YULitle

verbouge
12-14-2009, 04:53 AM
Thanks, y'all. A bit of a tough crowd, but you were helpful anyway. I know I'll get good at this, it's just a matter of the first few times on different rackets.

I don't have a machine yet. Still deciding on what to purchase. However, I have access to a Gamma 6002 ES, so that should do the trick.

Dave

YULitle
12-14-2009, 06:44 AM
I'll make it easy on him: http://www.youtube.com/user/YULitle

There is one from start to finish. It's 2 hours long and Alpha includes it with their Revos and Pioneers in DVD format. Though I made it, I can't post that on youtube. Not to mention trying to post such a long video on Youtube is frought with disaster. Watching all of the videos that I have posted should be enough to get you (the OP) started and then some.

gameboy
12-14-2009, 07:42 AM
I just got a Gamma X-2 and strung two racquets for the first time. I was nervous as well and watched several videos before starting.

But seriously, it was pretty simple. The manual that came with the machine was very good. I just took my time and it went really smooth. Don't be too nervous and take the plunge.

I really enjoy the fact that I can string my racquet with whatever I want at any time.

coyfish
12-14-2009, 08:35 AM
I just got a Gamma X-2 and strung two racquets for the first time. I was nervous as well and watched several videos before starting.

But seriously, it was pretty simple. The manual that came with the machine was very good. I just took my time and it went really smooth. Don't be too nervous and take the plunge.

I really enjoy the fact that I can string my racquet with whatever I want at any time.

Yep and once you get used to it . . . it takes no time. Ive got a klippermate cheap stringer and it only takes me 45 minutes to string my dense 18X20 string pattern. I don't rush or anything and watch TV while I do it. You might make a mistake or 2 on your first few racquets but after that it becomes natural.

verbouge
12-15-2009, 01:36 PM
There is one from start to finish. It's 2 hours long and Alpha includes it with their Revos and Pioneers in DVD format. Though I made it, I can't post that on youtube. Not to mention trying to post such a long video on Youtube is frought with disaster. Watching all of the videos that I have posted should be enough to get you (the OP) started and then some.
Thank you so much, Mike. I've been busily watching your videos with every spare second over the last couple of days, taking in as much as I can. Lots of good info and make-it-look-easy tips and demos. USRSA sounds like a must-do for the first timer.

Quickly-I know you're busy-I'm curious about a few machines.

Gamma X-ST
Alpha Revo 4000
Stringway ML100 or 120
Alpha Axis Pro

I don't think I need a true pro machine, but have lived long enough to have learned that if you want something, try to do it right the first time, lest you only go out and spend more money trying to get it right the second time.

Any thoughts when you have time to spare?

Thanks,
Dave

bobbyj
12-16-2009, 05:27 PM
There are fantastic video clips on yutube. YuLitle does a great job and very precise. I also joined the USRSA and there's a tremendous amount of information available to you there.You can even join as a trial member for a month with full privileges. I purchased two DVD's ("Racket Service Interactive"; "Total Racket service"). both are worth your while to invest in. Hope this helps.

verbouge
12-16-2009, 09:42 PM
There are fantastic video clips on yutube. YuLitle does a great job and very precise. I also joined the USRSA and there's a tremendous amount of information available to you there.You can even join as a trial member for a month with full privileges. I purchased two DVD's ("Racket Service Interactive"; "Total Racket service"). both are worth your while to invest in. Hope this helps.

Thank you, BobbyJ. I've been watching YUlitle's videos avidly on Youtube for the last few days. It's gotten to the point that I forget which ones I've seen and which ones I haven't. I think I will join the USRSA when I actually take the plunge and purchase a stringing machine.

Thank you so much for your input and enthusiasm.

Dave

cmendez79
12-17-2009, 06:02 AM

To Yulitle,

Are you planning on making a video with a dropweight machine? It would be very helpful to all of us that "think" we know how to string on a dropweight, and may be we are doing it the wrong way.

I watched Almerisco videos and they are great, but I read here a post by him, that on those videos he made some mistakes. So I want to know which mistakes, because I do exactly as he does on those videos.

I have a Gamma X-2

Thanks

YULitle
12-17-2009, 06:05 AM
That was the plan, but it keeps getting pushed back. I'm starting grad school and it's not looking like I'm going to have any free time for a while... We'll see.