PDA

View Full Version : 1hbh at baseline ; 2hbh on bh volley

In D Zone
12-13-2009, 03:44 PM
I played 1hbh pretty much since I first picked up tennis. I came more natural for me since I played table tennis when I was younger. However, I've noticed that I had been able to use 2hbh as a quick defensive weapon whenever I am playing close to the net especially duirng doubles.

I found that I can quickly block the shots when someone hits a volley close to my bh side - smashing the volley down or attacking the volley directly at my bh side. I don't know what happened but it works (instinct took over, I don't have time to slice the ball back with 1hbh). I was able to keep the ball in play and improved our chances to win. I have doing this for about a few months now, just never though of using it offensively. This last few weeks, I've been teaching/ playing with a friend showing her how to volley. We did some drills so I started to incorporated the 2hbh during the drill.

The past two weeks I played a couple of doubles matches. During the match we got into some very good volley exchanges. I was surprised I was able to use the 2hbh to smacked down some winners; normally I would attack the shot with a hard 1hbh slice which I did but my opponent where able to get to the ball but when I switched to 2hbh shots (only when the ball is volley right close or over the net on my bh), I was able to finished the points off quicker.

I am just excited to discover a new weapon.

darthpwner
12-13-2009, 05:01 PM
kind of strange combination in my opinion:???:

LeeD
12-14-2009, 12:41 PM
For the 50th time, FrewMcMillian and GeneMayer were ranked top 5's in the mens tour in doubles, and they used 2HBH volleys. JConnors on his way to #1 also.
Practice some low volleys and half volleys also, both of which are easier than trying that shot one handed.

Bungalo Bill
12-14-2009, 01:56 PM
I played 1hbh pretty much since I first picked up tennis. I came more natural for me since I played table tennis when I was younger. However, I've noticed that I had been able to use 2hbh as a quick defensive weapon whenever I am playing close to the net especially duirng doubles.

I found that I can quickly block the shots when someone hits a volley close to my bh side - smashing the volley down or attacking the volley directly at my bh side. I don't know what happened but it works (instinct took over, I don't have time to slice the ball back with 1hbh). I was able to keep the ball in play and improved our chances to win. I have doing this for about a few months now, just never though of using it offensively. This last few weeks, I've been teaching/ playing with a friend showing her how to volley. We did some drills so I started to incorporated the 2hbh during the drill.

The past two weeks I played a couple of doubles matches. During the match we got into some very good volley exchanges. I was surprised I was able to use the 2hbh to smacked down some winners; normally I would attack the shot with a hard 1hbh slice which I did but my opponent where able to get to the ball but when I switched to 2hbh shots (only when the ball is volley right close or over the net on my bh), I was able to finished the points off quicker.

I am just excited to discover a new weapon.

I primarily volley with one hand on the racquet. There are occasions where the ball is coming at me quickly and my hand does not have a chance to leave the racquet. In essence, I block back a ball with two hands.

And yes, it is a smack down take no prisoner shot. Not something I want to do all the time, but on some balls, it is all I got to knock it down.

In D Zone
12-14-2009, 07:34 PM
For the 50th time, ..............

Practice some low volleys and half volleys also, both of which are easier than trying that shot one handed.

I've also been using the 2hbh on low and half volleys - especially when getting smacked by the net guy close to my feet. There is really no time to use the 1hbh to cover; only the 2hbh is the ideal option.

I primarily volley with one hand on the racquet. There are occasions where the ball is coming at me quickly and my hand does not have a chance to leave the racquet. In essence, I block back a ball with two hands.

And yes, it is a smack down take no prisoner shot. Not something I want to do all the time, but on some balls, it is all I got to knock it down.

Glad to know that I am not alone!
AGREED! its not my main choice; I only used it when the situation calls for a quick smack down! It does surprised my opponent - they looked shocked ; wondering what just hit them. LOL!

Bungalo Bill
12-15-2009, 07:50 AM
I've also been using the 2hbh on low and half volleys - especially when getting smacked by the net guy close to my feet. There is really no time to use the 1hbh to cover; only the 2hbh is the ideal option.

Glad to know that I am not alone!
AGREED! its not my main choice; I only used it when the situation calls for a quick smack down! It does surprised my opponent - they looked shocked ; wondering what just hit them. LOL!

Yeah, you are like AxeMan just chopping away. Or SludgeHammer Man, and you just smack the ball down.

The other occasion I tend to do this more often is when I am playing with a hangover. You know, mind is a bit lazy, foggy, and the ball (even if it is going two miles an hour) sneaks up on you and you get a bit startled? The ball is like right in front of your eyes.

My reflexes kick-in and I smack it down. Sometimes it comes back and I smack it down again. then I come alive and act like Amazon Jungle Man. If I win, I just walk over to the other side and act like it was a piece of cake.

You have to have a cocky walk down too if you win the point. And then need to give them that look, like "whatever, that was a piece of cake. Is that all you have?" You are sure to get some smack talk with that attitude. Then you come back and say "bring it. Game on." hahahaha

fuzz nation
12-17-2009, 04:59 AM
If you're comfortable hitting two-handed up at the net, you could also try that style of hitting when the ball is high on your backhand side, usually a bit above head height. Unless you really need to stretch for it - I can only do that one-handed - I've found that I can drive the ball with two hands much better than with one hand.

The catch is that the ball needs to be close enough that your two-handed reach will work and this often means a quick retreat to get under the ball. I think this shot is worth trying out given what you're doing already. I just noodled around with it a while back and as long as I could get under the ball in time, it turned out to be pretty easy to whup my racquet over the top and really pop the ball down through the court.

I turn a little more sideways than for a volley to hit this way and it feels like I'm throwing the racquet over my right shoulder mostly with my left hand (I'm a righty). I really like feeling that what used to be a weak spot for me (and almost everyone else) is now more of an offensive opportunity as long as the ball is where I can hit it. My Wed. night doubles group actually lives in fear of this shot.

athiker
12-18-2009, 05:16 AM
I play with a guy who uses a 2hbh volley close to the net quite a bit, especially in doubles. It's' pretty effective for him.

I find it hard to get power on those quick volley exchanges to my backhand side with my 1hbh volley. Its hard to muscle the ball around and get any pace on the ball if I'm a bit late and the ball is no longer in front of me. Also, not so good on the elbow. I don't seem to have a natural 2 handed reflex, I also hit a regular 1hbh, but should probably try to a bit of 2h around the net. My current instinct is more like the basketball or football defender, throw the single arm out instinct to block the ball.

LeeD
12-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Nothing wrong with 2hbh volleys with double conti grips.
FrewMcMillian was ranked #ONE in doubles.
GeneMayer was ranked top 5 in doubles in the pro ranks, men.

GinoGinelli
12-21-2009, 02:44 AM
If a ball is pounded to my backhand I often instinctively volley it 2 handed. Its something I've been trying to iron out but I'm beginning to think just let it be, it seems to be a reliable shot. I only use if its kind of straight at me though

Bungalo Bill
12-21-2009, 08:48 AM
If a ball is pounded to my backhand I often instinctively volley it 2 handed. Its something I've been trying to iron out but I'm beginning to think just let it be, it seems to be a reliable shot. I only use if its kind of straight at me though

I have just let mine be. It works, it is effective, it wins points, and it feels darn good when you slam that ball into the court for a winner. It isn't my normal volley, but when I am caught, it is sometimes all I got.