PDA

View Full Version : Question about serving and the center dividing line.

stapler
12-13-2009, 06:14 PM
When serving, is your body allowed to pass over the center dividing line, as long as no part of you is touching the ground beyond the center dividing line? Like, if your feet are on the correct side of the court, but you bend your knees in such a way that causes them to be over the center line, is that fine?

plumcrazy
12-13-2009, 06:18 PM
I hope not because I do this sometime. As long as none of your body actually touches the other side you are OK.

jserve
12-13-2009, 07:26 PM
When serving, is your body allowed to pass over the center dividing line, as long as no part of you is touching the ground beyond the center dividing line? Like, if your feet are on the correct side of the court, but you bend your knees in such a way that causes them to be over the center line, is that fine?

You can treat the center dividing line like you would the baseline. If at any point during your service motion you contact the ground on or past the line then it is a foot fault.

Here is a fun example from Safin where his foot actually started on the wrong side.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKagveO0Jf8&feature=PlayList&p=84C8CC67CA5905F4&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=35

Mahboob Khan
12-14-2009, 06:43 AM
I enjoyed this tape.

Mahboob Khan

W Cats
12-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Safin Video: I'm reminded about a section that I read in Brad Gilbert's Winning Ugly book about how as players whose goal in a match is the win, can do some amazingly idiotic things in order to bring about the exact opposite result.