PDA

View Full Version : Videos: How is the technique of this guy? (bh, fh, serve)

Ano
12-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Does this guy have good technique?

Slice backhand:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S1S2vBst1o

Topspin forehand:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La0ra1JqD-s

Kick serve:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhPtJx-3N8o

Thanks.

ttbrowne
12-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Can't really tell much from these three short videos but this guy looks like he's got a great solid game. There's just a few things I'd change but all in all he looks very good.

12-13-2009, 08:22 PM
this guy is a pretty good player, right?

ms87
12-13-2009, 09:20 PM
I see what you're doing here.

You handpicked some videos of a (relatively low level) pro hitting a few shots that don't look particularly impressive (and don't show much, ie movement anticipation placement etc). Then you post them on TW and wait for clueless posters to under rate him. So clever!

Anybody else sick of the ******** threads?

ms87
12-13-2009, 09:22 PM
and by the way that slice is great but the kick serve is clearly half-assed and the forehand looks awful

Blake0
12-13-2009, 09:36 PM
His slice looks good..although he seems to be trying to ice skate..

His forehand doesn't look great and he isn't really trying on his serve..

Even though i looked his name up before posting on the poll, i still chose the 3rd option.

Now that i think about it, he could be a serve and volleyer..because he has good form on the serve..although it looks like he's not really trying.

LeeD
12-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Obviously better than any normal playground player, must be hard to try in hot humid weather.

Ano
12-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Can't really tell much from these three short videos but this guy looks like he's got a great solid game. There's just a few things I'd change but all in all he looks very good.

Yes, his highest ATP Ranking was #446 in August 1987. Thanks for your reply

Ano
12-14-2009, 04:39 PM
this guy is a pretty good player, right?

Right. At Davis Cup in 1989, he played Boris Becker (losing 06, 1-6, 1-6) and Carl Uwe Steeb (losing 2-6, 2-6) in singles matches.

Ano
12-14-2009, 04:43 PM
I see what you're doing here.

You handpicked some videos of a (relatively low level) pro hitting a few shots that don't look particularly impressive (and don't show much, ie movement anticipation placement etc). Then you post them on TW and wait for clueless posters to under rate him. So clever!

Anybody else sick of the ******** threads?

That wasn't my intention. I played with him on last Sunday. I was surprised to find that eventhough he was a top Indonesian player in the late eighties, his forehand and serve look awkward. That's the reason I made the video, uploaded the video to Youtube, and started this thread. I wanted opinions from this board.

and by the way that slice is great but the kick serve is clearly half-assed and the forehand looks awful

I agree with you.

Ano
12-14-2009, 04:47 PM
His slice looks good..although he seems to be trying to ice skate..

His forehand doesn't look great and he isn't really trying on his serve..

Even though i looked his name up before posting on the poll, i still chose the 3rd option.

Now that i think about it, he could be a serve and volleyer..because he has good form on the serve..although it looks like he's not really trying.

Yes, in the videos, he played doubles with my friends (ex club players around 4.0 - 4.5 NTRP).

That's the reason he's not really trying to play hard. He is much better than me and my friends.

Btw, yes, he played serve and volley on every first and second serves when playing against Boris Becker at 1989 Davis Cup.

Ano
12-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Obviously better than any normal playground player, must be hard to try in hot humid weather.

Yes. Thanks for your reply.

onehandbh
12-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Hi ano,

You live in Jakarta? Are there any good discount tennis
items/racquets in Jakarta? I have a friend that will be there
in December for a few weeks. Was thinking of having
something brought back if it was cheap or something
unique to Indonesia (clothing, shoes, etc).

12-14-2009, 05:06 PM
What's wrong with his Fh?

Ano
12-14-2009, 05:13 PM

For me, his forehand look stiff. However, I'm not knowledgeable in Tennis instructions.

That's the reason I started this thread to get opinions from this board.

LeeD
12-14-2009, 05:19 PM
His strokes are fine, for a S/V player developed in the olden daze when radical grip changes were discouraged.
He'd be hard pressed to hang with the modern W/SW strokes and bounces from the baseline, but he could probably volley better than any of the modern baseliners.
Different era, different style.

Ano
12-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Hi ano,

You live in Jakarta? Are there any good discount tennis
items/racquets in Jakarta? I have a friend that will be there
in December for a few weeks. Was thinking of having
something brought back if it was cheap or something
unique to Indonesia (clothing, shoes, etc).

Yes, I live in Jakarta.

If your friend wants to buy tennis racquets, Metro Sports at Pasar Baru ( http://www.yellowpages.co.id/company.aspx?id=A117766M36) is a heaven for your friend.

The price is much lower than in the US. Example : I bought Prince Exo3 Silver for 2 million Rupiah (equivalent to around US$ 211).

If your friend wants to buy other tennis items (shoes, clothing), he can go to Plaza Senayan or Senayan City (he doesn't need the complete address because every taxi drivers know that place). However, the price of tennis apparels and shoes are not cheaper in Jakarta compared to in the USA.

If your friend wants to buy non tennis item that is unique to Indonesia, I suggest to buy BATIK : http://www.indonesianmusic.com/batik.htm. He could buy BATIK at the Departments Stores at Senayan City or Plaza Senayan. He could also buy BATIK directly from one of the top BATIK makers in Indonesia : http://www.yellowpages.co.id/company.aspx?id=A330693B32A.

12-14-2009, 06:17 PM
For me, his forehand look stiff. However, I'm not knowledgeable in Tennis instructions.

That's the reason I started this thread to get opinions from this board.

I watched that vid several times, and I'm thinking it is a pretty sharp looking Fh.
Nice footwork, nice racket work to the ball, excellent contact point (up and across the ball), Head very still, and with a solid follow thru on balance.
Only thing I can see that would bother you is the left arm. While the stretch across is fine, it's pull to the left is sort of weak and dies. Not really so important in the big picture, but could add some power if he wanted.
Ok, and maybe he could come at the contact on edge a little more for better accel into the contact.
That's my take anyway. I like it .

nfor304
12-14-2009, 06:19 PM
I think he would have had a pretty mean serve back in his day

Rambler124
12-14-2009, 06:31 PM
I watched that vid several times, and I'm thinking it is a pretty sharp looking Fh.
Nice footwork, nice racket work to the ball, excellent contact point (up and across the ball), Head very still, and with a solid follow thru on balance.
Only thing I can see that would bother you is the left arm. While the stretch across is fine, it's pull to the left is sort of weak and dies. Not really so important in the big picture, but could add some power if he wanted.
Ok, and maybe he could come at the contact on edge a little more for better accel into the contact.

Yeah I agree with the left arm being a bit odd. Not a huge fan of his follow through either to be honest though but I think that basically relates to the look it produces by not using his left arm properly in the tuck. His shoulders and upper body aren't rotating together. He gets his right shoulder in front, but his left shoulder doesn't rotate completely with it so it seems to me.

Ano
12-14-2009, 06:39 PM
I think he would have had a pretty mean serve back in his day

Yes. He had the fastest first serve in Indonesia when he was a top player in the late eighties.

He is still capable of hitting a big first serve and a nasty kick serve now. He just didn't try to do that when playing with my friends.

Ano
12-14-2009, 06:42 PM

After watching the vid several times myself, I think I agree with you. Thanks.

Yeah I agree with the left arm being a bit odd. Not a huge fan of his follow through either to be honest though but I think that basically relates to the look it produces by not using his left arm properly in the tuck. His shoulders and upper body aren't rotating together. He gets his right shoulder in front, but his left shoulder doesn't rotate completely with it so it seems to me.

Thanks, I agree with you.

12-14-2009, 06:50 PM

Yes, agree they are intertwined pretty directly.

leeroy85
12-14-2009, 08:13 PM
He is hitting shots very effortlessly. Sign of good player.

Mike Cottrill
12-14-2009, 08:20 PM

I call it falling off the ball. Happens to the best and worst I guess.

Slazenger07
12-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Slice looks pretty good, def his best shot of the three. He still needs to try and step into the ball as he carves it, this will make it penetrate the court better. Forehand looks kinda crappy imo, follow through is low as it would be with a windshield wiper forehand, but his is not a ww forehand. He needs to finish with the racquet up over his non-hitting shoulder, not waist level, this will give him more control and consistency with the shot.

DavaiMarat
12-15-2009, 06:15 AM

He over rotates on that side so his torso is leaning to his left. In a perfectly sound forehand the torso remains rotating in a perfect cylinder. It doesn't tilt or collapse which results in very poor balance and transfer.

onehandbh
12-15-2009, 11:01 AM
Yes, I live in Jakarta.

If your friend wants to buy tennis racquets, Metro Sports at Pasar Baru ( http://www.yellowpages.co.id/company.aspx?id=A117766M36) is a heaven for your friend.
... BATIK : http://www.indonesianmusic.com/batik.htm. He could buy BATIK at the Departments Stores at Senayan City or Plaza Senayan. He could also buy BATIK directly from one of the top BATIK makers in Indonesia : http://www.yellowpages.co.id/company.aspx?id=A330693B32A.

Thanks, Ano!

ryangoring
12-15-2009, 07:14 PM
So that's why he lost! Haha!
Nah just kidding, maybe back then he was something good but not from what I see here.

NamRanger
12-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Very good technique.

LeeD
12-16-2009, 09:25 AM
"very good t's"....
For an old fart, trained in the '70's or 80's, using eastern grips, playing in 90 degree weather with 100% humidity, conserving energy.