PDA

View Full Version : Good idea to try to run around backhand??

tennis005
12-13-2009, 06:50 PM
My coach told to try to run around my backhand and hit a forehand. He said it would confuse my opponent in a match, but i think it will just giveaway my weak backhand. Is his advice a good idea?

Geezer Guy
12-13-2009, 06:59 PM
I used to always hit a forehand when the ball was hit to my right, and a backhand when the ball was hit to my left. My thinking was that to run around my backhand to hit a forehand would A) take a lot more effort, B) leave me out of position, C) not really gain me that much, and D) tell my opponent I thought my backhand sucked. My backhand is -OK-, not a weapon by any means, but usually fairly reliable. Anyway, after awhile by pro convinced me to try the inside out forehand - and I gotta say I really like it. I feel much more confident running around my backhand and blasting a forehand than I do just trying to blast a backhand. Plus, I like running around my backhand and then hitting down the line. If a ball comes to my backhand side and I want to hit a routine rally ball, I'll go ahead and hit a backhand. When I want to be more offensive I look to take it with my forehand, either IO or DTL.

So, yeah - take your coaches advice.

12-13-2009, 07:06 PM
My coach told to try to run around my backhand and hit a forehand. He said it would confuse my opponent in a match, but i think it will just giveaway my weak backhand. Is his advice a good idea?

hitting with your weak Bh will give it away even quicker!

z_z
12-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Running *** your backhand shows your opponent that you are willing to play a winner instead of trading backhands (unless you you can hit backhand winners with ease). This puts additional pressure on them to play good shots when hitting to your backhand.

chaddles
12-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong with tunning around your backhand - Fed does it quite a fair bit and he doesn't have a weak backhand. You need to judge if you have enough time to get your feet in position, and it will open up a few more options for you, especially if the backhand isn't very strong.

For me personally, I can get a more consistent down the line winner and deep cross court shots - I try and make sure that after I run around the bh, I get myself back into position on the court so not to leave the court wide open.

TennisCoachFLA
12-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong with tunning around your backhand - Fed does it quite a fair bit and he doesn't have a weak backhand. You need to judge if you have enough time to get your feet in position, and it will open up a few more options for you, especially if the backhand isn't very strong.

For me personally, I can get a more consistent down the line winner and deep cross court shots - I try and make sure that after I run around the bh, I get myself back into position on the court so not to leave the court wide open.

Great advice. Some of the best players consistently run around their backhands to hit killer inside out forehands. You will find many opponents will over compensate and go for that low percentage area you leave to your backhand side, increasing their unforced errors.

coyfish
12-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Depends on your level / depends on your forehand.

IMO if its a weaker or higher shot that you can do something with . . . then by all means nail that forehand. If your at a decent level though and don't do enough with the forehand you will be punished for it.

So basically if I can play a high % aggressive forehand on a shot I will. If I can't ill stick to my backhand and keep better court positioning.

USERNAME
12-13-2009, 08:19 PM
If you have a chance to be aggressive then by all means run around it, but you better hit a good shot. Gotta at least make the dude your playing run for the next shot cause if you dont he/she will have alot of open court to hit to.

xFullCourtTenniSx
12-13-2009, 11:46 PM
hitting with your weak Bh will give it away even quicker!

Great counterargument! I love it! :)

Absolutely nothing wrong with tunning around your backhand - Fed does it quite a fair bit and he doesn't have a weak backhand.

Well... To US he doesn't have a weak backhand... But to others on the tour... And comparing his forehand to his backhand... I know these are unfair comparisons... But they still scream "HIT TO THAT BACKHAND!"

But Fed's reason for running around the backhand is simple - 1 forehand from him and he's in full control of the point!

If you have a chance to be aggressive then by all means run around it, but you better hit a good shot. Gotta at least make the dude your playing run for the next shot cause if you dont he/she will have alot of open court to hit to.

Depends on the positioning of both players as well as what you do with the shot and your recovery time. You can rip one right back at them and cover what they throw into the open court no problem if you're not hitting it from the doubles alley. And if your recovery speed is quick, you'll be in the center of the court before they make contact with the ball anyway. Though, if you hit it RIGHT at them, then they'll likely use your pace and block it down the line pretty well, so you want them to take at least 2 steps to the ball.

The general rule of thumb is that running around your backhand isn't for rallying purposes unless you're Rafael Nadal, it's for taking control of the point by being aggressive. So when you get a chance to run around the backhand, that means you have time to rip on the ball, which means you should put your opponent on the run, stretch them wide, or hit a winner. Don't run around the ball unless you can do something with it. (Preferably something BIG and BOOMING into the OPEN COURT.)

USERNAME
12-13-2009, 11:52 PM
The general rule of thumb is that running around your backhand isn't for rallying purposes unless you're Rafael Nadal, it's for taking control of the point by being aggressive. So when you get a chance to run around the backhand, that means you have time to rip on the ball, which means you should put your opponent on the run, stretch them wide, or hit a winner. Don't run around the ball unless you can do something with it. (Preferably something BIG and BOOMING into the OPEN COURT.)

Exactly! 10char

Mahboob Khan
12-14-2009, 05:19 AM

Whenever possible, the modern Pros hit their forehands from BH corner. This is called inside out forehand. Steffi Graf used to cover the court 80% with her forehand.

pingu
12-14-2009, 06:19 AM
I notice that most lefty players do it. At least that's what happens to me whenever I play with a lefty player.

Even with a great backhand, I still see Nadal does it all the time.