PDA

View Full Version : good durable cross for gut mains

Mikey Fresh
12-13-2009, 08:13 PM
recommendations?

lawlitssoo1n
12-13-2009, 09:01 PM
just crosses as gut too.

what string type are u looking for? syn gut, poly, multi??

Mikey Fresh
12-13-2009, 09:24 PM
just crosses as gut too.

anything that will give me control and since ive heard gut is powerful maybe something less powerful

mawashi
12-13-2009, 09:30 PM
You've never tried gut b4?

The mains give you the power n control, the cross the comfort so if you want to kill the power, poly. Maintain the feel then syn gut.

My experience with poly cross is that they do cut into the mains quite quickly but they tame the power quite a bit. I'm liking SPPP now.

For syn gut, the best I've tried is pacific premium power x.

mawashi

downdaline
12-14-2009, 12:45 AM
just crosses as gut too.

QFT.

My full gut setups last my waaaaaaay longer than my gut/poly hybrids.

Doc Hollidae
12-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Try Unique Big Hitter Blue or Topspin Cyberblue.

[d]ragon
12-14-2009, 11:52 AM
If you want more durability and perhaps a cheaper string job, synthetic is the way to go. Plus it will tame some of the excess power but you could always just go with a higher tension. If you can restring often, then poly in the cross will tame the power but Mawashi said, polys will cut into the mains and cause them to snap sooner.

ClubHoUno
12-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Try Signum Pro Hyperion 1.24 as a cross string with Natty GUT mains.

It takes the power a bit, but still feels very nice and this CoPoly has very good elasticity maintenance, so the hybrid plays well for more than 15 hours in my view, if you don't break the strings before that of course :)

lawlitssoo1n
12-14-2009, 05:30 PM
anything that will give me control and since ive heard gut is powerful maybe something less powerful

just string it at a higher tension. if you want control i would say use a poly, but poly's don't really last that long, the strings go dead before the gut breaks.

Doc Hollidae
12-14-2009, 05:42 PM
ragon;4195865']If you want more durability and perhaps a cheaper string job, synthetic is the way to go. Plus it will tame some of the excess power but you could always just go with a higher tension. If you can restring often, then poly in the cross will tame the power but Mawashi said, polys will cut into the mains and cause them to snap sooner.

You'd be surprised how long gut mains and poly crosses last. It's a lot more durable than you'd think. When I was playing with that setup, it would last me at least 3-4 weeks playing a minimum of 12 hours a week with 4.0-5.0's. Usually I'd end up cutting out the strings before breaking them due to tension loss. Other people on my USTA team play with gut mains and poly crosses and would always break the poly before the gut.

Aces09
12-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Big banger alu power, luxilon M2 pro, technifibre pro red code is a great cross string, Head sonic pro is a sweet string, my all time favorite is Klip Optic nerve, find all those on TW, search string finder for polyester and you can find all those.

BTW, great job going for the gut mains. :-D
I LOOOOVE using natural gut in the mains and using polyesters in the crosses. It's such a sweet combo. make sure and string the gut tight so it doesn't move too much.

JT_2eighty
12-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Agreed. Given the correct poly, it will be smooth enough not to cut into a good gut too harshly. 16g poly crosses work well, though I've had my personal favorite success w toughGut crosses a few lbs tighter with a softer
gut main, adding a few savers in at first signs of fraying, all in an 18 x 20 and plays great long enough too justify the cost, the stiffer toughgut cross adding the control I need.

Mikey Fresh
12-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Big banger alu power, luxilon M2 pro, technifibre pro red code is a great cross string, Head sonic pro is a sweet string, my all time favorite is Klip Optic nerve, find all those on TW, search string finder for polyester and you can find all those.

BTW, great job going for the gut mains. :-D
I LOOOOVE using natural gut in the mains and using polyesters in the crosses. It's such a sweet combo. make sure and string the gut tight so it doesn't move too much.

so you like the red code? because i have a extra set just lying around

Deus_Ex_McEnroe
12-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Honestly if you aren't really a string breaker (some people do this more often than others) and depending on your racquet, full gut is pretty good. Last longer than polys in the crosses... it depends on how often you can restring/access to that.

I've only tried Natural Gut (VS) Mains and Alu Rough in Cross - incredible combo. Expensive and I lost my job and well yeah - durability was longer than I expected but still short - definitely felt it deadened after lots of play and then SNAP. But I couldn't afford to restring that combo over and over.

I had some gut saved up still enough for a full set up tried that I was worried about power and well durability too but it's been great after many weeks. Just need to adjust to it.

However if I had more access to stringer/money I'd probably try and continue a gut main and poly cross.

Steve Huff
12-19-2009, 10:04 PM
I'd go with SPPP at about 5# lower tension than the gut mains.