PDA

View Full Version : Question about gauge and spin

dParis
12-13-2009, 10:07 PM
I believe there is a general consensus that thinner gauge string increases spin potential, but I believe I read a recent post (that I can't seem to find again) that suggested that a thicker (15g or 16g) string actually increases spin potential.

Got me thinking... An 18g string may "bite into" the ball more effectively than a 15g, but an 18g string job would effectively "smooth out" the profile of the stringbed, right? While, on the other hand, a 15g string may not bite into the ball as well but would effectively "rough up" the profile of the stringbed which would seem to aid in spin production, right?

So, what are the facts? (or your opinions...)

dParis
12-14-2009, 04:20 PM
So, can anyone clarify the effect of string gauge on spin production?

ClubHoUno
12-14-2009, 04:28 PM
A thinner gauge will create more power, spin and make the stringbed feel more 'lively' so to say.

This is why I always use as thin a gauge as possible in the mains, which contributes spin, power, feel & comfort.

However I often use a thicker gauge in my cross string, because this will help to tame and control the stringbed more, and the cross strings mainly contributes control and comfort to a string bed.

The thicker gauge will add tameness and control to a stringbed, when used in the crosses - but you will lose some power, spin and feel if you also use a thick gauge in the mains.

dParis
12-15-2009, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the reply CHU. This is the conventional wisdom regarding string gauge.

Has anyone heard/read that a thicker string may increase spin production? If I can find where I saw that suggestion, I'll post it here.

Valjean
12-15-2009, 09:44 AM
If I were you I'd try to factor in the USRSA's sponsored explanation in their recently published Technical Tennis too.

Try and understand it as well.

lawlitssoo1n
12-15-2009, 11:04 AM
thicker gauges, more stiff;therefore, more spin and less power, but the feel is very muted, and it is more control oriented

thinner gauges, more open string pattern; therefore, better pocketing effect so more spin, and more power. feels lively

so it's all about the feel of the string, i try to stay in the middle, so i use 17g

Don't Let It Bounce
12-15-2009, 02:29 PM
If I were you I'd try to factor in the USRSA's sponsored explanation in their recently published Technical Tennis too.An interesting phrasing, Valjean. Do you mean that you suspect there is something other than 'explaining the physics' motivating that chapter of TT?