PDA

View Full Version : Roddick V Ginepri *spoiler*

gugafanatic
04-20-2005, 07:38 PM
A.ROD def Ginepri 7-6, 6-4

Roddick moves into q-finals (possible threats still in draw: Haas, Blake, Melzer, Grosjean).

Damn Lappenti in the draw too. Havent seen this guy in yrs, hope he gets far.

nkhera1
04-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Did you get to watch the match? That doesn't seem to promising for Roddick's clay court chances.

Haka Boy
04-20-2005, 08:05 PM
Forgive me but I was hoping that Ginepri would win this match.

Nike Tennis2005
04-20-2005, 08:33 PM
me to.. oh well.. what does ginepri need to work on to win a title?

West Coast Ace
04-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Did you get to watch the match? That doesn't seem to promising for Roddick's clay court chances.I'm not the biggest Roddick fan out there - but he did just come off a a wrist injury and layoff - give him a few tournaments.

But I wouldn't suggest you put any money you can't afford to lose on his chances in Paris, if that's what you're getting at. I think I have a slight better chance of winning the $200 mil Mega Millions lottery this Friday.

VamosRafa
04-21-2005, 12:52 AM
Ginepri is a "wannabe." Roddick should beat him if he plays left-handed.

Nike Tennis2005
04-21-2005, 07:14 AM
stop hatin

Jill
04-21-2005, 07:43 AM
Of their last 3 matches (since last summer in Indy), 4 of 6 sets went to tiebreaks. Robby plays him close, always, despite the 6-0 head-to-head. I wouldn't take it as a bad sign - especially since he said after the match last night that he'd only been hitting just over a week before this tourney (so he had about 2 weeks where he didn't hit). The clay has also been a problem (based on some articles in the Houston Chronicle), I guess it's causing a lot of bad bounces and players are missing a lot of shots - both he and Ginepri had a bunch of unforced errors in the match. They're even considering going to green clay next year (I think that's a terrible idea... but.... they're not asking me!)

Let's see how he does against Horna, who can actually play on clay. He took Horna down easily last year - and that was when he was exhausted after winning Miami and coming straight from Davis Cup with no time in between. He should be much fresher physically and mentally this time, so we'll see what happens tomorrow.

GRANITECHIEF
04-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Why didn't Ginepri get the umpire to check the mark on the last point of the tiebreak in the first set? I looked like it was clearly good to me, definitely close enough to have the ref verify?

Fee
04-21-2005, 09:35 AM
Andy couldn't beat anybody left-handed, not even me, because he can't serve left-handed.

Robby Ginepri is not a 'wannabe' (what the hell does that even mean?). He is a good young player who has had a pretty decent career so far (one title, Top 30 ranking, some decent Slam results). He has all the strokes and wonderful movement, he just needs to get his head together and learn the X's and O's of tennis a little bit better. He is not even 23 years old yet, so I am confident that his best tennis is ahead of him, not behind him.

@wright
04-21-2005, 10:57 AM
*catfight*

Fee
04-21-2005, 11:01 AM
excuse me?

@wright
04-21-2005, 12:00 PM
yes? *gulp*

Jill
04-21-2005, 12:46 PM
But what's Robby's weapon? He moves well, but not like Coria or Hewitt or Federer... his groundstrokes are decent, but not particularly consistent... what does he have to really hurt the top players?

Fee
04-21-2005, 01:20 PM
I don't know that Robby can hurt the top players at this point. His forehand is good, but you're right about it's consistency (or lack of). His serve is improving, and while it will never be a huge serve, I think he will start to get free points with better placement. He is being encouraged to play more doubles to improve his volleys, and I think his current coach is working towards making him a strong all-court player. I don't think he is going to be a 'great' player, but I think he is going to be better than he is now.

SMASHER
04-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Personally I found that match pretty boring. There were not many good rallies and they both seemed not to be into it. I must say that Roddick made me a believer in his second serve when R.G. almost had to jump to return his kicker.

Craig Sheppard
04-21-2005, 01:30 PM
Ginepri didn't even look like he wanted to be there. His body language was so **** poor that he deserved to lose. Like someone said, why not even question that set point call? And he started a little run at the end, and didn't even look interested.

I have a feeling Ginepri is of the mindset of "I've always lost to Andy, I can't beat Andy" or something like that... he didn't even seem that interested in playing. The commentators did say Andy beat him back in the juniors as well.

I'm not really a fan of Andy's, but I'm glad he beat Ginepri--if you're not trying to win you don't deserve to.

tykrum
04-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Andy couldn't beat anybody left-handed, not even me, because he can't serve left-handed.

Actually I would be willing to bet Roddick could beat some 4.5-5.0 players left handed. Maybe you are better than a 4.5/5.0...

Fee
04-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Thanks for your post Craig. I didn't get to see the match and I haven't read any other descriptions of it yet. I have seen Robby behave that way in a few other matches, but he was so close to beating Andy in Memphis that I thought he might be a bit more fired up for this match.

Jill
04-21-2005, 04:12 PM
I agree, Fee - I think Robby can be better than what he is right now - rankingswise, anyway. I've seen him play a few matches live - in one, he saved multiple match points in a 2nd set tiebreak and went on to win. In another, he was way up in a first set TB only to choke it away... the inconsistency about him is what really strikes me the most. He seems like a nice enough guy and after Andy he's probably in the best shape of the other young Americans. He just has to get his head together and get some consistency on what's all-around a decent game he's got.

But I think without a big weapon, he'll reach a limit of how good he can be, IMO.

gugafanatic
04-21-2005, 04:17 PM
JILL ARE YOU KIDDING, GINEPRI AND NO BIG WEAPON?!. Have you ever seen that monsterous forehand he hits, he outpowered ferrero at wimbledon few yrs back with hes forehand. He's just too erratic and feels intimidated when playing Roddick, hes lost alot of close matches to him.

Jill
04-21-2005, 04:20 PM
No, I'm not kidding. I don't think his forehand is nearly consistent enough to be considered a big weapon that will help him win matches against top players. That is my opinion, you need not agree. I have seen him both in person and on tv. And I saw whatever of his match against Ferrero last year at Wimbledon that they showed in the US. If his forehand reaches the consistency that top 10 players who have big forehands have (i.e. Federer, Roddick, add Moya in there...), then I'd probably call it a weapon. But right now, the guy's an error machine with it, and especially in 'bigger' moments of a match. A weapon is something you count on to get you through tough matches, not let you down. Maybe one match here or there he has it working, but he also beat a HORRIBLY slumping Ferrero on grass, I don't know that I'd term that a "Top win"

gugafanatic
04-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Yeah agreed Jill, maybe not a weapon as it is too inconsistent.

Fee
04-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Jill, I think I agree with just about everything you have said in both of your posts. When I first saw Robby (practicing before the San Jose tournament in 2002) the two things that caught my eye were his quick little feet and his lazerlike forehand. But that was practice, he was very relaxed and enjoying himself, so everything was working. I've seen him play wonderful matches where he was completely in command, and I've seen him act like 'short attention span theatre' on court, like he was composing his grocery list during points and not focused on the match he was in the middle of. Makes me want to grab him and shake him. It also makes me wonder if he will ever realize his full potential in tennis. Time will tell.

Jill
04-21-2005, 04:59 PM
Jill, I think I agree with just about everything you have said in both of your posts. ;) that does not surprise me :lol: *cough*

Anyway :p It's disappointing to hear about his attitude in the match last night, especially, as you said, Fee, considering how CLOSE their last two prior matches had been (3 sets and a 1-break 6-4 set - but Andy won both matches in straights). On a surface like clay where Andy's serve is most neutralized, someone like Robby with his good footspeed has his best chance. But what Robby said is right - that Andy is still beating him, whether it's a 7-6 set or a 6-0 set.

The thing is, Andy also owns Robby all the way back to their junior matches, he beat him at both the AO and USO juniors, too. Robby seems to think the difference comes down to Andy's serve - and while I think Andy is also more consistent and more powerful off the ground, it's also mentality. Andy goes out against the other young Americans - who are all his buddies - but he LOVES owning them. His record is so ridiculous against them, so he has the luxury of walking out there knowing he's in his opponent's head. One of them has to beat him for it to change.

And really, Robby's mentality is no good for Andy either. Because it gets him into a mindset that he doesn't have to work that hard to beat him b/c no matter how close the match is he knows he'll sneak it out in the end, and that's a bad mindset as well, if that makes sense. It seems like Robby's a hard worker, which is more than can be said for some of his "young american colleagues," if you will. He just needs to keep plugging at it - staying in good shape, staying healthy, keep improving, working hard, etc. The rest will come if he can improve the mental side I think.

Datacipher
04-21-2005, 06:43 PM
In terms of weapons and speed, Ginepri reminds me of Mal Washington. He didn't have a huge shot, but his shots were big enough that on a good day, his serve, his forehand, and even his backhand were weapons. He just hasn't been able to put enough of these good days out there. Washington himself once said that when you're winning they say you have no weakness, when you're losing they say you have no strength.

I feel like Ginepri still hasn't found a way to consistently impose himself out there. That's easier said than done at the top level, which is what he was gunning for. I hope he can find a way to do it but like Fee said, really he's doing OK so far, he's not a world beater, but he's a fine player.

VamosRafa
04-22-2005, 01:36 AM
Andy is now 6-0 against Robby, and looking at their past history, I don't think Robby can do anything to hurt him. I was kidding about Andy playing left-handed, and I apologize if it wasn't taken as a joke, but I really don't see Robby making any inroads against Andy, or making any serious impact on the ATP, other than what he's done to date.

Things can change quickly on the ATP, and that may happen, so I may revise my view. But I just don't see it at the moment. Still, stranger things have happened.