PDA

View Full Version : Gut/Alu Power VS Gut/PHT

downdaline
12-14-2009, 01:40 AM
Been playing with full gut for a while now, but im looking to switch to a hybrid for some much-needed control, especially since its the holidays and many of my overseas friends are coming back so there'll be lots of matches.

I've searched and found comparisons between Alu Power and PHT, but never compared SPECIFICALLY in a gut hybrid. I string the gut in the mains, with the poly in the cross.

Has anyone ever tried BOTH these setups? How are they different? Or do they feel absolutely the same?

Thanks.

smack that
12-14-2009, 05:30 AM
ALU power is better
kinda better tension mantance as well sorta

schap02
12-14-2009, 06:55 AM
Been playing with full gut for a while now, but im looking to switch to a hybrid for some much-needed control, especially since its the holidays and many of my overseas friends are coming back so there'll be lots of matches.

I've searched and found comparisons between Alu Power and PHT, but never compared SPECIFICALLY in a gut hybrid. I string the gut in the mains, with the poly in the cross.

Has anyone ever tried BOTH these setups? How are they different? Or do they feel absolutely the same?

Thanks.

Just my opinion, PHT provides slightly better spin than ALU Power but Tension Maint is terrible on PHT.....

On that note, if you're already spending a ton on the Nat Gut - Personally I would look to Unique big hitter blue or grey, MSV Hex, genesis Spin-X or Pro Supex Blue Gear for some savings on the crosses. ALU and PHT are about 14-15 retail where MSV is only 7.50 so you'll get every bit as good of a string for half the price...

Remember, just my thoughts....

Currently using a PSL so my thoughts are based on an 18x20 stringbed....

downdaline
12-14-2009, 07:11 AM
Just my opinion, PHT provides slightly better spin than ALU Power but Tension Maint is terrible on PHT.....

On that note, if you're already spending a ton on the Nat Gut - Personally I would look to Unique big hitter blue or grey, MSV Hex, genesis Spin-X or Pro Supex Blue Gear for some savings on the crosses. ALU and PHT are about 14-15 retail where MSV is only 7.50 so you'll get every bit as good of a string for half the price...

Remember, just my thoughts....

Currently using a PSL so my thoughts are based on an 18x20 stringbed....

Thanks a lot. The reason why im comparing THESE two specifically, is also because my stringer sells these 2 hybrids. Plus i've been with him for quite a while so i get discounts :D

But how do they compare in other areas? Did the PHT hybrid feel stiffer than the Alu Power?

DonBot
12-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks a lot. The reason why im comparing THESE two specifically, is also because my stringer sells these 2 hybrids. Plus i've been with him for quite a while so i get discounts :D

But how do they compare in other areas? Did the PHT hybrid feel stiffer than the Alu Power?

I have used both the lux gut hybrid dropped tension fast and just kept dropping. I have it in a rdis 100 and it is worthless- I just don't cut it out because I really don't hit with that frame too much. I usually use a gut/pht or ph hybrid. It drops tension but it tends to stabilize and is generally consistent until I break it. I wouldn't bother with luxilon unless you are breaking strings every 2-3 hours. IMO

ClubHoUno
12-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Ask your stringer to buy some reels of the Signum Pro Hyperion 1.24 and use that as a cross hybrid - It's the same price as the PHT, but a bit cheaper than Lux - but it plays well for much longer and keeps its elasticity and tension for at least 12-15 hours, at that time any Lux string is long dead and gone :)

Trust me on this - I've tested and used 6 different Luxilon Alu BB strings in Hybrids with VS NATTY GUT intensively last year, and Luxilon and PHT, WHICH I HATED, is out.

I love a lot of stuff from Babolat - but really hate their Hurricane strings - both of them :D

If you break your strings in 2-3 hours, I would just hybrid the Natty GUT with Lux alu BB ROUGH crosses, but after 3 hours it dies quickly and very fast. If you don't break strings that fast, then have you stringer buy a reel of Signum Pro Hyperion 1.24 and start using that in the crosses with Natty GUT mains - this is my favorite string setup at the moment.

Meaghan
12-15-2009, 08:41 AM
I have used both set ups. But firstly I prefer the Alu rough to the power. The only problem is that the gut doesnt last too long.
Im amazed at posters saying that PHT doesnt holds tension better, Im not sure, Pht prob drops a fraction more but it holds playability much much longer than Alu power.

I have been playing with full gut for a while and it does cost a few bob so Ive been looking at other poly crosses. I did think that the main string did everything but there is definately an added spin and control with the poly cross. I found that the Alu rough was the best but didnt last. Im trying a couple of cheap alternatives and Pro Supex blue gear is a great alternative to PHT and alu Rough. Im also finding Davydenko string of choice Polystar energy to be the star of the show, similar spin, control, and a bit of added pop, doesnt cut thro the gut as its a softer greasy poly.

Im also changing from VS gut to Pacific prime, its slightly crisper in feel, dont know just like it a bit better (i think) ??

downdaline
12-15-2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks a lot guys. Really helps.