PDA

View Full Version : For my wrist problem, VS gut is the worst.

v2pilot08
12-14-2009, 12:12 PM
I have wrist problems from years of playing with high tension, >65lbs on c10 volkl, VS gut or VSgut/Lux. Age and using computer for leaving didn't help either! Lately, when I experiment with strings types (string my own) I noticed something opposite to widely proclaimed that gut is best string for injured arm.
With same tension, VS gut keeps ball on the racket longer and it definitely creates more painful impact on my wrist. With synthetic string like TNT, Duralast or Pro Hurricane ball get catapulted off the racket faster with less feedback to the arm, thus making it much less painful.
Now I string only synthetic 17g, 55lbs and less.

I’m interested in feedback from guys who actually have arm problems and what strings they use to minimize it, not just “internet knowledge”.

Thanks

jrod
12-14-2009, 12:42 PM
^^^ I'm willing to bet you have issues with your technique. Your observations are not really supported by any sound evidence...

[d]ragon
12-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Well if you're stringing over 65 lbs, I'm not too surprised even the most arm friendly strings wouldn't help your wrist. Why not try gut at a lower tension? But if you find that synthetics at 55 and lower work just fine, then there really isn't a need to try gut.

Other aspects that could lead to wrist/arm problems:
-racquet stiffness
-poor technique
-grip being too small
-grip being too big
-playing with strings taht are dead

Also consider exercising the muscles in the hand and arm to help prevent injury

I used to have wrist problems because of having too big a grip, using dead strings, and or stringing with PSGD (one string that just makes my wrist hurt like no other). So I got a smaller grip, restring more often, avoid PSGD, and do strengthening exercises for my hand and arm. Voila, no more arm problems.

Of course, some people have more sensitive arms/wrist than others.

number.432
12-14-2009, 12:52 PM
I have wrist problems from years of playing with high tension, >65lbs on c10 volkl, VS gut or VSgut/Lux. Age and using computer for leaving didn't help either! Lately, when I experiment with strings types (string my own) I noticed something opposite to widely proclaimed that gut is best string for injured arm.
With same tension, VS gut keeps ball on the racket longer and it definitely creates more painful impact on my wrist. With synthetic string like TNT, Duralast or Pro Hurricane ball get catapulted off the racket faster with less feedback to the arm, thus making it much less painful.

I’m interested in feedback from guys who actually have arm problems and what strings they use to minimize it, not just “internet knowledge”.

Thanks

I would assume someone who play with a C10 would cherish all the goods VS has to offer. And would prefer that over a full bed of synthetic gut/ polyester.

I don't have any arm problems. My advice to you is perhaps you should consider a frame that is less demanding. Lower your string (VS) tension. Take more lessons. Work on your technique,footwork. And once everything comes together. I'm sure you will change your mind on how natural gut (particularly VS) performs.

Mano
12-14-2009, 12:58 PM
If synthetic gut works best for you with you're wrist problem than you should defenitely use that string

That being said, you're assumptions on the less impact with shorter contact moment are incorrect though. The reason why most people find nat gut to be benificial for arm/shoulder problems is that is has superior elasticity properties compared to other type of strings

It's basic physics. When you hit a incoming ball, the ball first decelerates and than accelerates when coming of your racket. A string with more elasticy will, as you noticed, have longer contact with the ball compared to a string with less elasticity. When other parameters are constant (ball weight, speed and speed of the racket), the extra amount of time will decrease peak power. Because it takes the same amount of energy to decelerate and subsequently accelerate the ball, however the extra time at contact will spread the energy over longer time and so decreasing power of impact.

daslosh247
12-14-2009, 01:00 PM
I have a lot of elbow and wrist problems, had surgery in May for it. I kind of agree with jrod--probably a combination of too much wrist in your swing and the computer. I did VS and thought it was really soft and because of that caused more pocketing of the ball which then, if you hit the ball oddly, creates pain. Overall though I liked it but it didn't really aggravate the pain for me. Probably because I'm not wristy with my forehand anymore.

From my own experience I find that taking the wrist out of forehands and really rotating hips makes the arm feel MUCH better. Couple that with NEVER going to pro hurricane or anything luxilon makes a big difference.

For me I find Kirsch pII a good soft poly and black code too. Both 18 g and it feels pretty good. If you want to stay synthetic gut, gosen micro 18, alpha 2000 are really nice and really cheap, or biphase and nrg2 are really good too but a little more money. Head FXP 18 g is good too. I would also drop tension to around 55 on synthetics and stay there too if I were you.

Cruzer
12-15-2009, 10:28 AM

Thanks

It seems almost unbelievable that VS would be causing arm problems and a poly string (Pro Hurricane) makes it better but I guess everyone is different. My wife has had arm/elbow problems for several years and I string her racquets with a fairly soft multi like Babolat Excel or Wilson K-Gut in the low to mid fifties. I also restring her racquets every couple of months.

OHBH
12-15-2009, 10:40 AM
If you are hitting with the same force with both strings your observations don't make much sense. The fact thst VS holds the ball longer means that the force is dispersed at a lower intensity for a longer period of time. A stiff poly will hit your arm with a high intensity force over a short period of time. Just Google Impulse Momentum Theorem

Bud
12-15-2009, 10:59 AM

Thanks

^^^ I'm willing to bet you have issues with your technique. Your observations are not really supported by any sound evidence...

I agree... highly unlikely that NG is giving you arm/shoulder/wrist issues.

lawlitssoo1n
12-15-2009, 11:00 AM

haha totally agree
poor technique, or your grip size is too big for you.
had major wrist problems when i had the 4 1/2 on my kblade tour. now i'm using a 4 3/8 w/ 2 over grips(which is a little smaller, like 4.4 grip size)

your complaining about high tension on gut? i use 65 w/ full poly. and i don't seem to have a problem w/ dense string patterns.

also icing/heating alternating can help recover

morten
12-15-2009, 11:14 AM
natgut is heavier than most strings, it brings the swingweight up, could be bad for your wrist... Also natgut is very powerful so it could make you tentative as you hit the ball making you grip harder. Try a light multi, head rip control, isospeed control(old one) personally i do not like those strings LOL, i like x1, average weight.. :)

Rabbit
12-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Well that just goes to show you different strokes....

I'm 51
I've been playing since I was 14
I'm a programmer (heavy keyboard usage..too heavy)
I am a long-time C10 user
I string with Pacific Classic, which is significantly firmer than VS
I string at 61

I have zero arm/wrist/shoulder problems

When I used poly, my arm was fatigued after playing and a little stiff starting out. Once I got to playing, it was fine. Since changing to gut, my arm feels as good coming out of a match as it does going in...my knees on the other hand.... :)

Steve Huff
12-16-2009, 10:44 PM
I'd bet that the sore arm is due to using the mouse too much. It really mimics tennis elbow. I know, I've been there. Started using the mouse with my left hand for 3 months and the pain slowly went away.