PDA

View Full Version : Gaucho Gut: A Player's Prospective

drummerdan
12-14-2009, 01:38 PM
I reviewed the stringing of this gut in a different thread and here's my review for the playability. As you may recall, the mains were pretty easy to string but the crosses were very difficult. Also, these strings broke after only about 3 1/2 hours of hitting - but, they broke while I was testing the tension with my stringmeter, not while hitting. I tested these strings 70+ times (over several areas of the face of the racquet) during the process so I feel that might have had something to do with it. You can check out my other thread for more details.

Now, for the playability. I strung these at 60# in my Wilson K six one ( 16x18 ) as I do for all (most) of my setups. My usual string is a hybrid of VS Tonic+ and Wilson Sensation (both 16 ga). This setup was a full gut job of 16 gauge Gaucho Gut. I think that the all gut setup contributed to the playabilty (as well as the difficulity on the stringing). I'm a 4.5 male, play tournaments and play an aggressive all court game.

REVIEW:
There was no "break-in" time for these strings as they played well from the start. I played with a guy that hits very hard and flat so controlling the ball is very necessary. I found myself being able to do that very well from the start. One note, I have been feeling my elbow a little lately since I've been testing a few polys. However, my arm felt great from the start with Gaucho.

Spin: This was a standout for this string. It almost felt like the "poly drop" you get from most polys and I was surprised a few times when the ball dropped in when I didn't think it would. A

Reliability: What I mean for this is, Is this string going to be consistent with no flyers, no/little tension drop and feel good the entire time? My answer would be a definite yes. From the first ball I hit with this string, it performed flawlessly and no flyers and the tension dropped only 6-7% from stringing through the 3 1/2 hours of hitting. A+

Power: I was able to hit with good power although no overwhelming power. For me, that's good because I hit it hard and don't want the power. I believe that you can get all the power you want with this string, depending on the tension you go with. My was near the top end so I wouldn't consider it a power string. A

Durability: This is where I was worried the most when getting the string. The strings did move around quite a bit and I had to spend a little more time than usual to keep them straight. Since there was virtually no coating, I'm not surprised. These strings only lasted a total of 3 1/2 hours of hitting but I don't know how long they would have lasted had I not tested the tension so many times. I have another set so I'll find out when I put that set in. C

Serve: Good spin but not great. If you're looking for a string to help spin your serve, this isn't it. However, it's no slouch and I didn't feel hurt by it. B

Groundies: Outstanding spin and control. As you would expect from gut, it has a great combo of spin, control and power. My practice partner felt that the ball had a bit more bite on it than my usual setup. A+

Volley/Overheads: It felt very comfortable on both and it was very reliable. No flyers and the feel was very nice. I play an all court game with serve/volley mixed in and I never felt like the string would be the reason I missed (I'll blame that on something else!). Control and feel are the words on volleys. A

Comfort: Typical gut. Very nice, soft feeling but still crisp enough to know when the ball was on my strings. A

Overall: A-

There is very nice pocketing and I felt the ball on the strings. Gut is wonderful, in general, for this. Gaucho Gut was no exception and it had the great gut feel, power, control and spin that one should expect from a natural gut string. My main problems with this string are durability issues and difficulity in stringing. If they can clear these up, Gaucho Gut could be my string of choice. However, until then, I'll keep testing it for myself but not offer it for any customers.

My advice is, for $14, this is a good gut string and well worth a try. Be prepared for a fight when you string it (for a full gut job) but your efforts will be rewarded on court. From other posters' comments here, durability can be an issue, but it may be overcome somewhat with being very careful during stringing. Gaucho Gut has a classic gut feel, control and spin for an unclassic price.

2handsbothsides
12-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Nice review. For $15 I currently recommend a Pacific Classic gut main and a synthetic gut cross. If you like a soft gut like feel then use Forten Sweet as the cross or for a crisper feel go with Gosen Micro or even Prince Syn Gut Duraflex. Much easier to string than Gaucho, its consistent, reliable and long lasting. I believe it will actually play better than your Tonic / Sensation combo especially with the Forten Sweet cross in natural which does a better job of locking the gut mains than the Sweet in white.