PDA

View Full Version : Lendl in love with Federer's strokes

raftermania
04-20-2005, 07:41 PM
"Roger Federer is the only guy I watch for his strokes. He is just beautiful. He can hit every single shot you could ever think of. John [McEnroe] and Ilie [Nastase] were very talented but you always knew there were some shots they couldn't hit. Not with Federer. I would go and watch him practise, he's so good."

~ Ivan Lendl, winner of 8 Grand Slams.

--

Can you believe a tennis-great making such a statement about Federer? Hehe, just imagine you had your face up against the chainlink fence watching Fed practice on a side court; when this rude guy pushes you aside to get a better glimpse - you turn to this guy to give him some mouth and he turns out to be Lendl! He's even got a giant tennis ball with him too waiting for Federer's exit!

More Greats respecting RF's brilliance:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Roger_Federer (a great site)

Superior_Forehand
04-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Man I love federers strokes too. I really hope he can win at least one more slam this year.

Phil
04-20-2005, 07:54 PM
Man I love federers strokes too. I really hope he can win at least one more slam this year.

Or even just one;-)

Datacipher
04-20-2005, 07:57 PM
Or even just one;-)

That would be logical place to start!

karwall
04-20-2005, 08:49 PM
"Roger Federer is the only guy I watch for his strokes. He is just beautiful. He can hit every single shot you could ever think of. John [McEnroe] and Ilie [Nastase] were very talented but you always knew there were some shots they couldn't hit. Not with Federer. I would go and watch him practise, he's so good."

~ Ivan Lendl, winner of 8 Grand Slams.

--

Can you believe a tennis-great making such a statement about Federer? Hehe, just imagine you had your face up against the crosslink fence watching Fed practice on a side court; when this rude guy pushes you aside to get a better glimpse - you turn to this guy to give him some mouth and he turns out to be Lendl! He's even got a giant tennis ball with him too waiting for Federer's exit!

More Greats respecting RF's brilliance:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Roger_Federer (a great site)
That is a great site, thanks. It's amazing that finally Lendl and McEnroe agree about one thing.

wildbill88AA
04-20-2005, 09:06 PM
sorta surprising to hear lendl call jmac talented.

VamosRafa
04-20-2005, 10:34 PM
Of course, we can consider a Tennis great saying that about Federer. I mean everyone says it about Fededer. Why wouldn't he???

35ft6
04-21-2005, 03:52 AM
I saw Federer practice one year at the US Open, with Xavier Mallisse, and I remember thinking his volleys were very solid, and that in general all of his shots were hella nice. And that he was almost no upper body muscle tone.

@wright
04-21-2005, 05:30 AM
I think Federer is about to come open up a can on everyone on tour...Whenever he has a couple weeks off, he comes back firing on all cylinders...Can he do it on clay?

Ethan04
04-21-2005, 05:41 AM
me2..........

Aykhan Mammadov
04-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Fed is the genious of tennis and the Doctor of arts of tennis.

Anyhow all these words are worth nothing if he doesn't win FO. Let we wish him victory this year !!!

raftermania
04-21-2005, 01:13 PM
Lendl could never have my spot at Federer's practice fence.

Lendl is a tough guy to handle, he used to be on the Haas diet. Armed with a giant tennis ball, he's even more dangerous!!!

Fed is the genious of tennis and the Doctor of arts of tennis.

Anyhow all these words are worth nothing if he doesn't win FO. Let we wish him victory this year !!!

Hahaha, worth nothing??? Isn't that a bid strong Aykhan? So I'm guessing you are one of the ones who believes Sampras is not the greatest because he didn't get a French, right?

Exile
04-21-2005, 07:11 PM
omg if federer doesn't win a slam this year, much less FO, he should at least win the masters.

Dedans Penthouse
04-22-2005, 04:37 AM
I gotta admit, that "Everytime you watch Andy Roddick...God kills a kitten" tag is really warped (and pretty funny) ;-)

Reminds me of the old Harvard National Lampoon whose cover featured an adorable little dog with big, soulful eyes looking very apprehensively at a hand holding a .38 revolver to it's head with the caption:

"Buy this magazine......or we'll shoot the dog."

@wright
04-22-2005, 05:38 AM
Kind of like the save toby website. For those of you who haven't seen it, Toby is a pet rabbit and the owner will kill and eat toby if he doesn't get paypal-ed $50,000 by a certain date. I think he's up to $22,000 or so.

joe sch
04-22-2005, 07:24 AM
It appears that Federer is the only tennis player in the last decade that the past champions can really get excited about because he has an allcourt game and a complete variety of weapons. Roger is even very capable of playing S/V tennis but has no need to now against the current competition. The prior greats all realize this and are soo happy to see such a player beating all of todays competitors playing smart tennis. I believe its too difficult to change extreme strokes so it will take a future player who has been taught a more classic game & strokes to really have a chance of overtaking Roger and the rest of the current players. Lendl, Mac, Laver and the rest of the past champions are trying to make a statement to the tennis community with thier public endorsements, and this statement is not really understood.

raftermania
04-22-2005, 12:09 PM
Kind of like the save toby website. For those of you who haven't seen it, Toby is a pet rabbit and the owner will kill and eat toby if he doesn't get paypal-ed $50,000 by a certain date. I think he's up to $22,000 or so.

OMG! That's horrible! But isn't this some sort of public blackmail? It can't be legal???

Joe Sch, that's some good critical thinking. The champions of the past are really drooling over the prospect of an old-school #1 pllayer bringing back their treasured strokes, with class, dignity and dominance. This is only the beginning, let's keep our fingers crossed that Fed doesn't burn out, suffer a devastating injury or get carried away with Mirka.

As for Lendl, keep an eye out for him next time you're at one of Fed's practice courts!

@wright
04-22-2005, 01:25 PM
just go to savetoby.com and it answers all the tough questions - it appears it isn't illegal - i do feel sorry for the little scamp though - i bet the owner won't really eat him.

raftermania
04-22-2005, 03:04 PM
omg, that is pathetic. This guy has some nerve blackmailing humane people with this really petty threat. But, it got me, I'm going to donate some money - NOT! If anything the smart thing to do is invest in a baseball bat, break into his house, save the rabbit and steal his money. Then I'd give his pathetically earned money to a good charity.